2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I think that I may actually sit this one out.
Short of an FDR type, the dem party is barely advocating more of their standard 1 step forward and 3 steps back republican bs. It's been like this since 1980. Maybe it would be best to let them break it (and themselves) completely.

Sorry but this Clinton, Obama and Biden "play along while getting beat up" crap shouldn't be supported.

And please, please no Michelle.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'd have to half-heartedly disagree. He was a bit too Republican for my tastes, but arguably Bill Clinton was the most successful Dem president since LBJ, who stepped on his own dick in Vietnam. But LBJ was a thousand years ago and in a different country. IMNVHO, it does the country no good to be governed by half the ummm "representatives" and the other half contributing nothing but "no." I know most of the current crop of Repugnants aren't trustworthy and would renege on any agreement faster than Manchin or the Indian Affairs people. What I'd like to see is a viable third- or fourth party so that nobody who wins they have to build a coalition. But that's not gonna happen either. We are truly and royally screwed.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm
I'd have to half-heartedly disagree. He was a bit too Republican for my tastes, but arguably Bill Clinton was the most successful Dem president since LBJ, who stepped on his own dick in Vietnam. But LBJ was a thousand years ago and in a different country. IMNVHO, it does the country no good to be governed by half the ummm "representatives" and the other half contributing nothing but "no." I know most of the current crop of Repugnants aren't trustworthy and would renege on any agreement faster than Manchin or the Indian Affairs people. What I'd like to see is a viable third- or fourth party so that nobody who wins they have to build a coalition. But that's not gonna happen either. We are truly and royally screwed.
Primaries are for voting for you preferred candidate.

General elections are about voting for the lesser of evils. I'll still vote.

Been that way for awhile. The only general election candidate I was ever excited about voting for was Obama and he wound up being handcuffed by Washington and pretty much became a centrist.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Or, in my experience:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:28 pm
Primaries are for voting for seeing your preferred candidate get crushed :( :x . Even Obama was not my favorite until it came down to him or Hillary.

General elections are about voting for the lesser of evils, then throwing up. I'll still vote. Sigh, yep.

Been that way for awhile. The only general election candidate I was ever excited about voting for was Obama as was I, except that I feared: and he wound up being handcuffed by Washington and pretty much became a centrist.
Oh well. Hooray for democracy. :roll:

Aside: I joined BRN during the 2008 POTUS campaign, Spring or Summer, I think.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Or, in my experience:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Primaries are for voting for seeing your preferred candidate get crushed :( :x . Even Obama was not my favorite until it came down to him or Hillary.

Jolting Joe was my early 2008 favorite. I went all in on Obamawhen Joe dropped out.

General elections are about voting for the lesser of evils, then throwing up. I'll still vote. Sigh, yep.

Been that way for awhile. The only general election candidate I was ever excited about voting for was Obama as was I, except that I feared: and he wound up being handcuffed by Washington and pretty much became a centrist.

Aside: I joined BRN during the 2008 POTUS campaign, Spring or Summer, I think.
Same.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:56 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:09 pm
Or, in my experience:
GoCubsGo wrote:

Jolting Joe was my early 2008 favorite. I went all in on Obamawhen Joe dropped out.

I liked Dennis Kucinich, not that I ever had actual hope for him....

Aside: I joined BRN during the 2008 POTUS campaign, Spring or Summer, I think
Same.
banni, Vox, k9nanny, Gene, Foolgle, supsalemgr, Colonel Failure, Nascarfan/bowhunter and others were already there. I think billy.pilgrim, Stinger, Crock Hunter, Ombudsman, Ragin' Rebel and others were later refugees from other shuttered forums. Not sure when O Really, Mr.B and neoplacebo joined. Whack9 was never on BRN.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't remember exactly, but I'd guess somewhere around '09 or '10 for O Really. "Brandywine" was on Topix until it got intolerable and tanked, then found BRN. That may have been the origin of O Really or maybe that was later. There was also a Hispanic sock named Carlo who showed up occasionally. but he never made the transition to BRD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:29 pm
Whack9 was never on BRN.[/color]
How did Whack9 find us?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:18 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:29 pm
Whack9 was never on BRN.
How did Whack9 find us?
I THINK that he was a refugee from the Greenland paper's forum owned or managed by the same folks as H-TN, and someone tipped him off about BRD as it was collapsing.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah he showed up in his earlier incarnation about a month after BRD started. I think he was on the goupstate Greenville forum.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:45 am
Yeah he showed up in his earlier incarnation about a month after BRD started. I think he was on the goupstate Greenville forum.
He started in the Greenville Gannett forum, then to goupstate, then here.
Same aa me, crock and partisan##.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

So Mitch Romney, who knows something about losing presidential campaigns, says Liz Cheney shouldn't run because she'd have no chance of being the nominee. No shit. I was wondering who she thought would be voting for her. If she's still a Repug, she'll get no votes from any trumpists, which is enough to doom her. She'd have no credibility as a Dem, and we all know what chances third-party and independents have. She's done a good thing, and deserves to be rewarded with high office, but I don't think it's going to be elected office. Give her a cabinet post in a Dem administration.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:12 pm
So Mitch Romney, who knows something about losing presidential campaigns, says Liz Cheney shouldn't run because she'd have no chance of being the nominee. No shit. I was wondering who she thought would be voting for her. If she's still a Repug, she'll get no votes from any trumpists, which is enough to doom her. She'd have no credibility as a Dem, and we all know what chances third-party and independents have. She's done a good thing, and deserves to be rewarded with high office, but I don't think it's going to be elected office. Give her a cabinet post in a Dem administration.
Cheney is a lawyer and worked for Shrub's State Department, but I think that Sec of State is too political to install a Repub. She could easily be a Middle Eastern or Asian Ambassador, but she's now gotten some excellent on the job LEO experience. FBI Chief would piss off the Trumpettes the most. :twisted:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The seven Democrats most likely to run for president — if Biden bows out

Kamala Harris - Meh, but I don't hate the idea.
Pete Buttigieg - :thumbup:
Gov. Gretchen Whitmer - Interesting. :thumbup: AFAIK.
Gov. Gavin Newsom - :thumbup:
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) - Love her, but too old.
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) - Love him, but too old.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (N.Y.) - Too soon. 2028, or 2032 if there's an incumbent Dem in 2028. Stay radical, but work on some competence and effectiveness credentials.

Not a bad lineup IMO. I think Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) is great, too. She absolutely shreds RepuQs and CEOs.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Interesting.

I'd write off Bernie and Liz right off the bat, age and they obviously just don't resonate.

AOC is too young for this cycle but she would be absolute cannon fodder for the right.

I was an early Kamala fan, now not as much. The author thinks she's overcome her early missteps, I don't think so. Not misstepping is not redemption.

Love Mayor Secretary Pete. Smart and extremely well spoken, perhaps enough to overcome his lack of experience.

Whitmer? Like her but no clue.

Gavin may be the best shot. He's done a good job in California and he's center enough to not scare independents although the right will do their best to label him a communist.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:13 am
... Love Mayor Secretary Pete. Smart and extremely well spoken, perhaps enough to overcome his lack of experience....
Idk, 8 years a mayor and 4 years a cabinet sec seems like pretty good experience for the administrative job of POTUS to me, better than most legislators.

It's funny that the only Congress members named are the old and young far lefties. Aren't there other Dem Sens or Reps that might be interested? Maybe they're all waiting for Joe to bow out before uttering a peep.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

My personal choices from the list
Gov. Gavin Newsom
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Sen. Bernie Sanders
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Warren is probably my top choice, but she has been for too long been a victim of right-wing lies and spin to change people's opinions

Bernie - too old (as are Biden and trump)

AOC - too young to get elected, I would vote for her in a Primary if Newsom doesn't run

Newsom - I don't know much about him, but see him as a best chance of those on the list.

Will we ever get another FDR or JFK, or even a LBJ. We need huge dramatic change.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am

Will we ever get another FDR or JFK, or even a LBJ. We need huge dramatic change.
Thought we had one in 2008.

He wound up having to govern from the center due to a obstructionist (putting it mildly) Congress.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am
My personal choices from the list
Gov. Gavin Newsom
Sen. Elizabeth Warren
Sen. Bernie Sanders
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Warren is probably my top choice, but she has been for too long been a victim of right-wing lies and spin to change people's opinions

Bernie - too old (as are Biden and trump) ...
Liz is 73, only 3 years younger than TRE45ON, though she is a young 73.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I value experience, but there is a difference in having 20 years experience and having 1 year of experience 20 times. It seems to me the older candidates are locked into practices and policies that served them well back in the day but aren't winning in the age of extremist right.