Re: College football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:24 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:29 pm

Enlighten me, I've never heard of this:
"knowingly and intentionally lying to a kid to keep him trapped"
Is that like sabin grayshirting so many players to keep them from signing with other teams that the sec had to step in with a New Rule?
It was in the Wetzel article. May or may not be totally accurate, but sounds likely.
Back up to January 2016, and Ole Miss was about to get slammed by the NCAA with 15 Level I violations in the program. Freeze knew it would be bad because he was in the middle of it, eventually hit with a “lack of institutional control” charge and given a one-year “show-cause” penalty.

At the time, however, the details were still secret. Freeze was concerned that if the depth of the violations and likely sanctions became public, some of his players might transfer. After all, Ole Miss was about to take on a two-year postseason ban, not to mention a loss of scholarships.

Further, members of the Rebels recruiting class might get nervous and switch their verbal commitments before signing binding letters of intent.

Freeze knew the program couldn’t risk his players, recruits or their families from knowing the truth of what was coming.

So Ole Miss chose to deceive them.

The athletic department orchestrated a massive misinformation campaign by repeatedly supplying the media with off-the-record lies about what was at the heart of the NCAA case.

The school kept telling anyone with a keyboard or a microphone that most of the major violations occurred under former coach Houston Nutt, not Freeze. As such, the story went, the Rebels would be able to avoid significant sanctions.

This was not true, though. The vast majority of the violations came under Freeze, not Nutt. Freeze knew the truth. So did Ole Miss.

Still, the plan went forward. Part of it was in the media, and part of it was Freeze reportedly lying directly to players and recruits and families who asked him about it. He stared right into their eyes and told them the lie.

The goal was obvious: trick everyone who believed in Hugh Freeze, who trusted Hugh Freeze, who gave their blood, sweat and tears to Hugh Freeze until, when the truth came out later via the NCAA infractions report, it was either too late or too difficult for them to transfer.

Remember, this was before the NCAA had its more forgiving transfer portal program.

This was about trapping them.

It’s a brutal and cutthroat thing to do to your own players and their parents, but hey, that’s the choice Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss made.
Was this about Freeze, or was it more about Ol Miss trying to keep their players after the truth came out after Freeze had to leave and their scholarships were reduced by the NCAA.

Trapping players. Look to Sabin as the master, but even past Sabin, I bet most college athletics departments do some versions of it, especially in football.

But still, it's a contractual agreement, often between a kid, or akid and his parents against an experienced adult staff - hardly fair. You're right, the transfer portal will help them walk from bad agreements.
Can they have agents help negotiate - idk, but it would probably be helpful leveling negotiations.

In fairness to Sabin, he has 3 times as many players as he needs looking to play for him. It's to the team's and the university’s advantage for him to encourage half or more that bammer will be their home, some lose spots offered by other teams and end up playing at a lower level.

I don't see a lot of difference in this and what Ol Miss did to their players. I don't see Hugh's involvement in trapping these players intentionally. If he spoke to the players, he was following his employer.

According to my sports journalist son, Wetzel is no fan of the SEC.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:48 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:14 pm
Didn't the Methodist just split because of (I don't pay attention) racial, or gender issues.
I think there are a few factions. Idk which team SMU is on.
idk which way they went, but I imagine it wasn't with the anti gay crowd.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2022/ ... -fans.html

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
"Auburn’s hiring of Hugh Freeze brought its share of blowback, given the coach’s complicated past and baggage from multiple stops throughout his career."

I'm not finding this pile of multiple baggage and complications throughout his career. Could bammer Tom be a tad sensational.

I'm leaving this battle here. Time will tell, but the bandwagon some are on seems over the top.
My team hired him, so he'll get my support until he fucks up, or can't beat bammer. Either way, I'll be on the front lines calling for his head.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:04 am

I'm leaving this battle here. Time will tell, but the bandwagon some are on seems over the top.
My team hired him, so he'll get my support until he fucks up, or can't beat bammer. Either way, I'll be on the front lines calling for his head.
Good idea

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:40 am

But still, it's a contractual agreement, often between a kid, or akid and his parents against an experienced adult staff - hardly fair. You're right, the transfer portal will help them walk from bad agreements.
Can they have agents help negotiate - idk, but it would probably be helpful leveling negotiations.

I'm no fan of NCAA rules, but one would think that any organization with as strict rules as it has would have a rule that says each player and/or their parents have the right to have their agreement reviewed by the attorney of their choice; that no verbal offers or changes are valid, and all agreements must be recorded electronically to be available in case there is any future conflict. Maybe they do have something like that, I don't know. But If Ol's Miss' conduct regarding its violations really is typical, then it's sad indeed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
... I'm leaving this battle here....
You're going to Freeze us out? :(

CFB Selection Committee

1. Georgia 12-0, Next vs LSU(14)
2. Michigan 12-0, up 1, Next vs PUR
3. TCU 12-0, up 1, Next vs KSU(10)
4. USC 11-1, up 2, Next vs UTAH(11)
5. Ohio State 11-1, down3

Ohio State has a shot because it doesn't play in a Championship game.
If USC loses Ohio State is in.
If Georgia or TCU loses Ohio State may be in since its sole loss was to #2 Michigan.
If Michigan loses, idk. Which counts for more - that Michigan lost to an unranked opponent or that it won the head-to-head?

Hoping for 2 or more losses among the top 4 are:
6. Alabama 10-2 up1
7. Tennessee 10-2 up3
8. Penn State 10-2 up3
9. Clemson 10-2 down1

No chance:
10. Kansas State 9-3 up2
11. Utah 9-3 up3
12. Washington 10-2
:headscratch: Not sure why it's not up with the other 10-2 teams.

14. LSU 9-3 down9 Ouch
15. Oregon State 9-3 up6, ORST 38 - @ORE 34
16. Oregon 9-3 down7, If only . . .
17. UCLA 9-3 up1, If only . . .

19. South Carolina 8-4, SC 31 - CLEM 30
Seriously? No change after beating #8 Clemson???!!!

23. North Carolina 9-3 down6, UNC 27 - @NCST 30, If only . . .

25. North Carolina State 8-4, No change :headscratch:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:23 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:40 am

I'm no fan of NCAA rules, but one would think that any organization with as strict rules as it has would have a rule that says each player and/or their parents have the right to have their agreement reviewed by the attorney of their choice; that no verbal offers or changes are valid, and all agreements must be recorded electronically to be available in case there is any future conflict. Maybe they do have something like that, I don't know. But If Ol's Miss' conduct regarding its violations really is typical, then it's sad indeed.
It does work both ways with "commitments". Kids pull their commitments all the time, as coaches release kids from scholarships.

I mostly think wetzel is being a tad creative with "trapped" in his attack on Hugh, or Auburn, or whatever it is he's attacking.

Are there examples of other teams in a similar situation revealing to players (before coming out publicly) that they might want to leave ol miss before the shit hit the fan?

I still can't think of anything worse that Sabin's grey shirting for trapping players.
It served a legitimate function before sabin realized the loophole that forced the sec or ncaa (I don't remember which) to stop it completely. In the year before the change it was using 25 times in the sec. 22 were by sabin.
Talk is that he still requires players to give up scholarships for "medical" reasons when they don't turn out like he thought.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:31 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
... I'm leaving this battle here....
You're going to Freeze us out? :(

CFB Selection Committee

1. Georgia 12-0, Next vs LSU(14)
2. Michigan 12-0, up 1, Next vs PUR
3. TCU 12-0, up 1, Next vs KSU(10)
4. USC 11-1, up 2, Next vs UTAH(11)
5. Ohio State 11-1, down3

Ohio State has a shot because it doesn't play in a Championship game.
If USC loses Ohio State is in.
If Georgia or TCU loses Ohio State may be in since its sole loss was to #2 Michigan.
If Michigan loses, idk. Which counts for more - that Michigan lost to an unranked opponent or that it won the head-to-head?

Hoping for 2 or more losses among the top 4 are:
6. Alabama 10-2 up1
7. Tennessee 10-2 up3
8. Penn State 10-2 up3
9. Clemson 10-2 down1

No chance:
10. Kansas State 9-3 up2
11. Utah 9-3 up3
12. Washington 10-2
:headscratch: Not sure why it's not up with the other 10-2 teams.

14. LSU 9-3 down9 Ouch
15. Oregon State 9-3 up6, ORST 38 - @ORE 34
16. Oregon 9-3 down7, If only . . .
17. UCLA 9-3 up1, If only . . .

19. South Carolina 8-4, SC 31 - CLEM 30
Seriously? No change after beating #8 Clemson???!!!

23. North Carolina 9-3 down6, UNC 27 - @NCST 30, If only . . .

25. North Carolina State 8-4, No change :headscratch:
Not from this and I've already broken my promise about defending Freeze against the bammer journalists.

Please, please no bammer in the playoffs

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:41 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:44 am
The whole weekend has just been a world of ouch.
Huskies are leading Wazzu by only one at the half, but I guess enjoy it while we can.
Terps had a good day, though. And then there's the matter of the Clemson loss, makes you feel good no matter what anybody else does.
Yeah, the chickens were my high point today. Hopefully that shut down the idiots calling for dabbooo to auburn.
SEC Shorts - Clemson holds the Playoff hostage

Pooor 1 FAT CAN. The comments are a hoot, too.

This was prescient, Aug 29, 2022:
SEC Shorts - Auburn nervous about season starting back

:lol: :---P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 am
Portal season will be fun. Lot of top and second tier programs would like some of those Auburn players. Rumor has it the Ducks have been happy with the Tiger they bought. Or would that be Ducks has been happy. :roll:
Ba.mers entering the portal in the last week
Holden is the second Alabama wide receiver to announce Wednesday that he is entering the portal after sophomore Christian Leary tweeted his plans in the morning. Leary was one of four receivers in Alabama’s 2021 class and the second to enter the portal after Agiye Hall transferred to Texas last spring.

Holden became the sixth Alabama player to enter the transfer portal or announce his intentions to enter it over the past two weeks.

Other Alabama players in the portal
OL Tanner Bowles
WR Christian Leary
OL Damieon George
RB Trey Sanders
CB Khyree Jackson
K/P Jack Martin
DL Braylen Ingraham

While Auburn only has 5
So far, looking average

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Lane

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lane Freeze

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:15 pm
(tweets)
I don't understand Kiffin's tweet at all.

I don't understand the Freeze quote. How can he already be talking about being in this Auburn family and culture?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Lane Freeze

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:37 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
(tweets)

I don't understand the Freeze quote. How can he already be talking about being in this Auburn family and culture?
He was welcomed in.

He's ripping Freeze for past behavior and speculating that Hugh isn't allowed to tweet.

Typical lane, but I love the bad boy video.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:11 am
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
(tweets)

He was welcomed in.
Aww, that's sweet.
He's ripping Freeze for past behavior and speculating that Hugh isn't allowed to tweet.

Okay, but I don't understand why Kiffin's tweet is addressed to @OleMissFB. Kiffin IS @OleMissFB. And, what's with the angel emoji?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:11 am
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
(tweets)

He was welcomed in.
Aww, that's sweet.

Okay, but I don't understand why Kiffin's tweet is addressed to @OleMissFB. Kiffin IS @OleMissFB. And, what's with the angel emoji?
It's just kiffin. He isn't tweeting to Huge because Huge isn'tallowed to tweet and I guess the angle (sarcastically) represents Auburn's angelic opinion of itself.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Poor da boo, he'll be washed up by 24

https://www.on3.com/news/college-footba ... committee/

Rose bowl holdout down and we now have a 12 team playoff

'“The Rose Bowl has said ‘look, we’ll do what you want us to do for ’23 and ’24 but we’d like you to give us X, Y, and Z in the new contract,'” said Dinich. “And the playoff is saying ‘look, we don’t have to be bound to any promises in a new contract, which will be given in 2026. So, they said ‘we might move on without you.'”

Dinich reported earlier on Tuesday that the CFP could be willing to remove the Rose Bowl from the New Year’s Six rotation in the next contract if terms cannot be agreed upon."

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:27 am

'“The Rose Bowl has said ‘look, we’ll do what you want us to do for ’23 and ’24 but we’d like you to give us X, Y, and Z in the new contract,'” said Dinich. “And the playoff is saying ‘look, we don’t have to be bound to any promises in a new contract, which will be given in 2026. So, they said ‘we might move on without you.'”

Dinich reported earlier on Tuesday that the CFP could be willing to remove the Rose Bowl from the New Year’s Six rotation in the next contract if terms cannot be agreed upon."
Sure, let's replace the Rose Bowl in Pasadena with its tacky parade and short tradition from only 1902 with maybe the "TaxSlayer" Bowl in Jacksonville or some other corporate-themed venue. Assholes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Rose bowl holdout down and we now have a 12 team playoff ...
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

As of 2024 unbeaten BSU or UCF will get their shot, along with the inevitable Big Ten and SEC bubble teams and the Pac-12 best that only intermittently qualify.
... The 12-team playoff will feature six conference champions and the next six highest-ranked teams....
Power 5 plus who? Ah, I get it.
In reality I think this will result in the Power Five Champions always qualifying, plus at least one Group of Five Champion. Then, the next best from wherever. I never thought that the 4-team format necessarily included the best end-of-season team, but I'm pretty sure that the 12-team format will. If a success, the door will be open for matching the FCS 24-team format someday.

Will this affect the USC and UCLA plot to leave the Pac-12 and join the Big Ten in 2024? Seems to me their prospects for the Playoffs will be better in the Pac-12.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Or, they could hire some of the March Madness basketball people who actually know how to put on a tournament. Or even somebody from DII. Or, they could just keep on stepping on their own dicks with every "change."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:58 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Sure, let's replace the Rose Bowl in Pasadena with its tacky parade and short tradition from only 1902 with maybe the "TaxSlayer" Bowl in Jacksonville or some other corporate-themed venue. Assholes.
Then all the more reason for them to act reasonably with the everybody else in the world.