Meet the New Tour de France 7-Time Champ

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Meet the New Tour de France 7-Time Champ

Unread post by O Really »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 56816.html

"Vacated", a little-known rider but undoubtedly from France will replace Armstrong on the record books.

I've got an idea. Let's let every pro bike rider take the "Armstrong cocktail" in whatever quantities and for however long they want. They don't have to contract and survive testicular cancer. See if any of them can win two Tours in a row, nevermind seven. If they can't, he gets to keep the titles.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Meet the New Tour de France 7-Time Champ

The powers that be did everything they could to catch him for years. They tested every pee they knew he took and couldn't prove anything. They had their chance and lost. Now it's too late. The whole witchhunt is because the French could 't stand that an American kept winning. It'snot like their guys, along with the Germans, Italians, and everybody else wasnt pushing the edge. Not that cheating is a good thing, but in cycling it's sorta like NASCAR - "if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'.

O Really
Admiral

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

I never had much interest in cycling, but it was hard to avoid news about Lance. Never liked the
guy, not sure why. He seemed too smug for some reason. Now that he's been shot down, I'm
getting a kick out of it. Yes, he wasn't the only one doping but apparently he took it further and
did it better than anyone else. I'm sure he'll rebound not too far down the road, cause he was
one hell of a bs artist too. 8-)

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:I like Sheryl Crow more.
Yeah, me too. I never said the guy wasn't a dick. I never said he was a squeaky clean competitor. But at every race, they did their best to catch him at something. IMNVHO, if they couldn't catch him, he beat them. If they could have caught him during the period of a race, kick his ass out - disqualify him. But they didn't. And he won. Year after year. As I said, give everyone the same cocktail and see if they can do it. If not, then he's still the best there's ever been.

O Really
Admiral

Armstrong ''deserves to be forgotten in cycling'' according to Pat McQuaid. [Who??] Yeah, like nobody remembers Pete Rose, either.

GeorgeOfTheJungle

Unread post by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

O Really wrote:http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 56816.html

"Vacated", a little-known rider but undoubtedly from France will replace Armstrong on the record books.

I've got an idea. Let's let every pro bike rider take the "Armstrong cocktail" in whatever quantities and for however long they want. They don't have to contract and survive testicular cancer. See if any of them can win two Tours in a row, nevermind seven. If they can't, he gets to keep the titles.
We don't often agree, but I'm with you 100% on this one. I would love to see the little numb nuts from the US doping commission try to make it up even some of the "easy" mountains on the tour. Given that it's virtually certain that most of the other top riders were also "juiced", what's the point of stripping Armstrong's titles?

O Really
Admiral

Of course they were juiced. And in a manner they didn't get caught. If the screeners are doing whatever they want to your pee, your blood, your breath, and your hair, and can't catch you doing anything against the rules have you broken the rules? How long do these idiots get to go back to cover their own deficiencies in the hunting of "witch Armstrong?" The people running cycling need to get over themselves. If it weren't for Armstong - and a VERY short list of others, most people would think the "Tour de France" was a winery trip.