Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Animals

Unread post by Vrede too »

This scene would still be unbelievable in a cheesy horror flick:
Texas woman mowing lawn attacked by snake and hawk – at the same time
Snake dropped from the grasp of a hawk in the sky and wrapped itself around the woman’s arm, then the bird tried to retrieve it

... Jones told the paper: “I was violently shaking my arm to try and get the snake off. He just wrapped and squeezed tighter and tighter.”

All the while, the snake was striking her in the face, causing her eyeglasses to chip and spewing a liquid she assumes was venom, Jones recalled.

“The hawk was darting in and out grabbing for the snake,” Jones told the Bee. “His wings were slapping me while he was clawing at the snake and that is where the deeper cuts and rips came from.”

Jones said the hawk retreated and returned to its prey about four times, slapping her in the face with its wings.

“I’m screaming during this whole time, ‘Help me, Jesus! Please, help me, Jesus!’” Jones told the Bee .

Hearing his wife’s screams, her husband Wendell rode over to her on his mower. He was shocked by what he saw.

Jones was crying and running towards him in a zigzag pattern, her arm bloodied with stab wounds from the hawk’s talons. The snake was four and a half feet long by Wendell’s estimate.

Eventually, the hawk flew off with the snake for good.
:shock:
Jones was immediately taken to the emergency room by her husband following the bizarre incident. She said the doctor asked her if she was on drugs after hearing her story.
:lol:
After assuring them this story was true, she was given antibiotics and her arm was bandaged. Luckily, her doctors determined she was not bitten by the snake.

Although she is healing physically, Jones called the attack “scary and traumatic”. But she is grateful to be alive.

She told the Bee: “I feel it was by the grace of God I am still alive and able to tell my story.”
:bs: :bs: :bs: Who do you think sent the snake and the hawk? Repent, sinner!
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The area of land occupied by grizzly bears has steadily expanded outward from Yellowstone over the last 20 years, an infographic:

:thumbup: I've hiked in many of these areas, historic range and new range.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:10 am
The area of land occupied by grizzly bears has steadily expanded outward from Yellowstone over the last 20 years, an infographic:

:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:27 am
Yellowstone ecosystem bear recovery and wolf restoration are huge successes! The elk aren't too thrilled, though. ;)

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:12 pm

I saw one article saying it was likely a nonvenomous rat snake. Still . . .
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:33 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Yellowstone ecosystem bear recovery and wolf restoration are huge successes! The elk aren't too thrilled, though. ;)

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:12 pm

I saw one article saying it was likely a nonvenomous rat snake. Still . . .
:sick: :shock: :silent:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Why watch?
When you can in person
wring a chicken's neck and watch the headless bird run around the yard
Shoot a pig, or 10 on slaughtering day
Shoot all kinds of food animals
Gut, a pig, goat, deer, ...
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:03 pm
Why watch?
When you can in person
I would watch videos of you doing all of that, too ;) . Please link them.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:03 pm
Why watch?
When you can in person
I would watch videos of you doing all of that, too ;) . Please link them.
Pre cell phone days. You'll just have to believe me.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:10 am

GoCubsGo wrote:
Researchers have identified a new pack of endangered gray wolves in California

A new pack of gray wolves has shown up in California's Sierra Nevada, several hundred miles away from any other known population of the endangered species, wildlife officials announced Friday.

It's a discovery to make researchers howl with delight, given that the native species was hunted to extinction in California in the 1920s. Only in the past decade or so have a few gray wolves wandered back into the state from out-of-state packs.

A report of a wolf seen last month in Sequoia National Forest in Tulare County led researchers to spot tracks, and collect DNA samples from fur and droppings, according to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Researchers concluded that there is a new pack of at least five wolves that weren't previously known to live in California: an adult female and her four offspring.

The pack is at least 200 miles (321.8 kilometers) from the next-nearest pack, which is in Lassen Park in northeastern California, wildlife officials said. A third pack is also based in Northern California.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Gray wolves are protected by both state and federal law under the Endangered Species Act. It is illegal to hurt or kill them....
Naturally occurring populations have full ESA protection, whereas the reintroduced Yellowstone wolves only have partial ESA protection. It was a controversy at the time. Right or wrong, most of us supported the more rapid reintroduction strategy.

Congrats, California! Next up, griz?

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:57 am

Congrats, California! Next up, griz?

Nice!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It would be nice to have at least a few, what with the bear flag and all that. Far northeast corner would be a good start for the grizzlies. Lightly populated, and if the bears did eat somebody up there they would likely be rightwing loons anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:41 pm
2 articles, same story with somewhat different info:

The Blackfeet Are Freeing Wild Bison Back Onto Native Lands After Centuries Of Devastation
The tribe appears to be the first to release the animals onto territory bordering federal public land.

Absolutely epic': Blackfeet release wild buffalo on tribal land (with video)

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

My lottery winning fantasy has been to buy up a bunch of Montana land towards helping to create the Buffalo Commons. Adjacent to the Blackfeet Rez would be as good a starting point as any.
60 Minutes tells me that good people are already doing it:
American Prairie: Creating a huge new nature reserve in Montana

The United States has national parks devoted to canyons and deserts, glaciers and geysers; even underwater coral reefs. Sixty three national parks in all.

But somehow, we skipped the American prairie. The grasslands that once stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rockies played a vital role in the lives of Native Americans, White settlers, and an endless variety of wildlife. They inspired explorers and artists…but apparently not park planners.

Two decades ago, a nonprofit organization began trying to fix that, not with a new national park but rather a huge privately-operated nature reserve, a place where - as we first reported last fall - buffalo can roam once again....

(transcript)

... the overall goal is about 5,000 square miles, 3.2 million acres of intact grasslands. Comparable to the size of the state of Connecticut and also comparable to Glacier and Yellowstone National Parks combined....

The big chunk of land is mostly north of the Missouri River in north central Montana, one of the most remote parts of the country. It's a patchwork of privately-owned cattle ranches and land owned by the government, including a huge existing national wildlife refuge named after the famous "cowboy painter," Charles M. Russell.

Alison Fox: And that 1.1 million acres serves as the-- anchor of American Prairie's 3.2 million acre vision.

Bill Whitaker: And so you've got these big chunks of federal land. And you're buying land in between to try to piece it all together?

Alison Fox: Exactly.

So just about every time a private ranch comes up for sale inside its desired "footprint" American Prairie tries to buy it, to add another piece to its puzzle and preserve more grassland.

Bill Whitaker: How many ranches have you purchased?

Alison Fox: We have -- purchased 34 ranches.

To buy all those ranches, American Prairie has raised nearly $200 million from more than 4,000 donors, including Wall Street financiers and technology moguls. It says it will take hundreds of millions more – and decades more – to complete the patchwork.

Bill Whitaker: So this is a long game?

Alison Fox: This is a long game. And it's a long game for land acquisition. It's a probably even longer game for the restoration of habitats and species. This area was America's Serengeti, truly America's Serengeti with tens of thousands of bison, prong-horn, elk, deer, grizzly bears, wolves....
:-||

Many ranchers are cooperating with wildlife-friendly practices. The :crybaby: ranchers can go to hell.

American Prairie
Welcome to the Greater Plains

If I win that lottery I won't have to reinvent the wheel. I'll just give hundreds of millions to American Prairie, perhaps with stipulations, perhaps not. I'll at least want a plaque and a bison-wrangling apprenticeship. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

More from NoCal, Morada:

:shock: :lol: Article
... Multiple agencies responded to her home at 6:45 p.m., but efforts to subdue the mountain lion were unsuccessful before it escaped....
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

She saw a snake's head coming out of her brick wall. Then it got weirder.

Spoiler:
:crazy:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'We were freaking out': Scientists left 'flabbergasted' by detailed dinosaur footprints covering a cliff in Alaska

Awesome. Idk that I would have noticed them, let alone recognize what they are.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Otter stick to boats

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 6:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:37 pm
A headline you don't see very often:

"Authorities issue warning after aggressive sea otter seen going after surfers in Santa Cruz"

https://abc7news.com/sea-otter-steals-s ... /13490929/

An otter in California is on the run from local and federal authorities, wanted for aggressively confronting locals and stealing surfboards at a popular beach. But its outlaw status has turned the slippery sea otter into an international icon, with growing support to leave her in the wild.

The 5-year-old female otter, known officially as otter 841, has been deemed a public safety risk by state and federal wildlife officials

"There are several petitions circulating online in support of 841's freedom, one of which has gathered over 50,000 signatures."
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:42 pm
Great, something new to worry about. River otter be like, "Hold my beer."

Rare otter attack injures three women floating on inner tubes on popular Montana river

:shock: Montana officials are more accepting and tolerant than California snowflakes.

30 years in Montana and I don't recall ever seeing otters. I did see beavers.
But you didn't have a surfboard
:lol:

How long before they quit saying "Rare"?
'Succession' Actor Hospitalized After Rare Otter Attack
Crystal Finn, who played ATN producer Lauren Pawson on the HBO show, was bitten while swimming in Northern California.

... The carnivorous mammals attacked Crystal Finn, who appeared in the HBO show’s final season as ATN producer Lauren Pawson, as she was swimming in the Feather River near Plumas National Forest, and sent her to the hospital with bite wounds....
:wtf:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:28 am
Limestone, close to you:

World's only spotless giraffe born at Tennessee zoo, public asked to help name her

I proposed naming her 'Stretch'.
I would name the giraffe SPOT. I know the giraffe doesn't have spots but they may be looking at this differently. I see the giraffe having one big spot, the brown spot.
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I read somewhere (from a source who could be mistaken, I suppose) that giraffes don't have spots. They have light colored patterns, each one unique to the giraffe.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

My 1st thought was "spot", then I read the comment. How could you name her anything else?