Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:57 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:46 pm
Posted in Education because the quotes mostly came from literary works most of us would have read.

"Best literary insults: fantastic written down put-downs"

https://www.shortlist.com/news/50-best-literary-insults

Some may find #14 entertaining.
Spoiler:
14. A Feast For Crows, George R.R. Martin
“The man is as useless as nipples on a breastplate.”
:lol: Thanks.
Spoiler:
'Useless' is faster to type out, but I'll give it a try.

Nipples on a Breastplate "(23.) ... was a goddam stupid moron. He hated it when you called him a moron. All morons hate it when you call them a moron.” Then, they put you on ignore.

Numbers 2, 4 and 5 aren't bad either. #5 definitely has a useless ring.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:36 am
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Posted in Education because the quotes mostly came from literary works most of us would have read.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Nipples on a Breastplate "(23.) ... was a goddam stupid moron. He hated it when you called him a moron. All morons hate it when you call them a moron.” Then, they put you on ignore.

Then #5 would be perfect to decribe yourself.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
:thumbup:
2. Timequake, Kurt Vonnegut

“If your brains were dynamite there wouldn’t be enough to blow your hat off.”
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:10 am
Then #5 would be perfect to decribe [sic, point proved :lol: ] yourself.
Translation: Waaa, am not, you are, waaa.
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
:thumbup:
2. Timequake, Kurt Vonnegut

“If your brains were dynamite there wouldn’t be enough to blow your hat off.”
Ulysses wrote:
Then #5 would be perfect to decribe [sic, point proved :lol: ] yourself.
Translation: Waaa, am not, you are, waaa.
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
Yep, the, I am not, you are, comebacks are special useless.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I see Billy Goat and Pointless are joining forces against the good and great.

They will fail, as they always do.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:03 pm
I see Billy Goat and Pointless are joining forces against the good and great.

They will fail, as they always do.
Another "special" comeback from useless.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Why it's pointless to argue with a wingnut.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Punctuation and grammar matter.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:31 pm
:D , but in Texas there are more important things for schools to do.
Looks pretty sharp to me.
A high school senior in Texas is “eagerly awaiting graduation” — but says he won’t be able to participate in the ceremony as he refuses to cut his locs. Treyvion Gray, 18, is a Black student who says his locs are an “expression of his Black identity and culture.” He argues the district dress code policy that prohibits boys from growing hair past their ears and eyebrows is both racially and sexually discriminating....

In a video interview with KPRC, Gray is seen with locs that have grown past his ears, eyebrows and shirt collar. The district dress policy, which “is established to teach hygiene, instill discipline, prevent disruption, avoid safety hazards, and assert authority,” says boys cannot have hair that long. “It’s part of me,” Gray said of his locs in the video interview. “It’s who I am. My hair is a part of me, my heritage and my culture.” He began growing his hair as a sophomore in the district to express his Black identify, the lawsuit states, but about three months prior to his graduation, school administration “made it their objective to suppress Gray’s expression of his identity and heritage” Starting in January, court records say the assistant principal would berate Gray about his hair when he got to school each morning. He continued doing so, demanding that Gray cut his hair. Meanwhile, the lawsuit says male, white students had “similarly long hair,” including mullet hairstyles.
Texas mullets, of course.
On March 3, Gray’s was placed in school suspension (ISS) “and would remain there until he cut his hair,” his legal team said. The high school senior tried to compromise by saying he would put his locs in a ponytail, “but that wasn’t good enough ... because among other things male students were not allowed to have ponytails,” according to the lawsuit....

“You’ll cut your hair to the right point,” is the belief of Superintendent Curtis Rhodes, who was previously quoted saying, “We’ve consistently been conservatively dressed, very conservatively disciplined,” according to the lawsuit. “It’s no secret what our policy is: You’ll cut your hair to the right point. You’ll tuck in your shirt. You’ll have a belt. “How can it be outdated,” he continued at the time. “How many doctors, professionals, lawyers, look at your military branches, look at bankers, how many of them have long hair?”
Ummm, women in the military do and tons of men in the other professions. Pay attention.
Those remarks were made regarding a 2008 lawsuit filed on behalf of a Native American kindergarten student who was forbidden from wearing long hair, according to The Washington Post. The federal district court and the appeals court ruled that the policy violated the child’s right to religious freedom.
:roll: Not much learning going on in the district offices.
As a student in ISS, Gray is confined to one room with the expectation of completing homework without any regular teacher instruction, according to the lawsuit....
Enhance education by removing education? :headscratch:

Seriously, what year is this?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

What absolute crap.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:46 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:07 pm
:lol: My biggest dilemma is whether to teach this before or after lunch. I'm leaning to first period, though.
Pretty certain nobody here ([Vrede too] excepted) needs to hear about your first period.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
When will you mature beyond tween-level, bigot? Only complete idiots imagine that LGBTQ allies are insulted by implications of being gay or trans.
Interesting that you interpreted my post as an insult to gay or trans.

You failed.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:31 pm

Clearly each category was meant to be separate. I think most people got it.

Seems obvious.

After all, how many elderly people are also pregnant?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

#5: “I misjudged you… You’re not a moron. You’re only a case of arrested development.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:28 pm
What absolute crap.
More absolute crap, from GA:
To: Brian.Hightower@cherokeek12.net, kyla.cromer@cherokeek12.net, kelly.poole@cherokeek12.net, patsy.jordan@cherokeek12.net, john.harmon@cherokeek12.net, rick.steiner@cherokeek12.net, clark.menard@cherokeek12.net, mike.chapman@cherokeek12.net, student.advisor@cherokeek12.net, Chris.Ragsdale@cobbk12.org, rscamihorn.boardmember@cobbk12.org, jhoward.boardmember@cobbk12.org, THutchins.Boardmember@cobbk12.org, dchastain.boardmember@cobbk12.org, dbanks.boardmember@cobbk12.org, cdavis.boardmember@cobbk12.org, bwheeler.boardmember@cobbk12.org
Subject: Cecelia Lewis

Dear Cherokee and Cobb school Superintendents and Boards,

Re: White parents chase Black teacher out of town over CRT fears before following her to next town
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 03824.html

You have allowed a brilliant educator, Cecelia Lewis, to be falsely smeared and driven away. Congrats, you are now nationally known as KKK school districts. Great example of wisdom and courage you've set for the kids. Be better.

Peace,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:50 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
What absolute crap.
To: Brian.Hightower@cherokeek12.net, kyla.cromer@cherokeek12.net, kelly.poole@cherokeek12.net, patsy.jordan@cherokeek12.net, john.harmon@cherokeek12.net, rick.steiner@cherokeek12.net, clark.menard@cherokeek12.net, mike.chapman@cherokeek12.net, student.advisor@cherokeek12.net, Chris.Ragsdale@cobbk12.org, rscamihorn.boardmember@cobbk12.org, jhoward.boardmember@cobbk12.org, THutchins.Boardmember@cobbk12.org, dchastain.boardmember@cobbk12.org, dbanks.boardmember@cobbk12.org, cdavis.boardmember@cobbk12.org, bwheeler.boardmember@cobbk12.org

Re: White parents chase Black teacher out of town over CRT fears before following her to next town

You have allowed a brilliant educator, Cecelia Lewis, to be falsely smeared and driven away. Congrats, you are now nationally known as KKK school districts. Great example of wisdom and courage you've set for the kids. Be better.

Peace,
(Vrede too)
This country is fucking nuts.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:50 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
What absolute crap.

Peace,
(Vrede too)
This country is fucking nuts.
1/2 this country +1 is fucking nuts.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The raccoon eyed juvenile minded moron and pathological liar called trump once stated "I love the poorly educated" and the GQP has taken it upon themselves to try and ensure that their followers are as poorly educated as possible. Being stupid is being honored and encouraged. They realize that molding young minds to their fascist ideals is the wave of the future for them. This country is on the way to some very bad shit.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:32 pm
The raccoon eyed juvenile minded moron and pathological liar called trump once stated "I love the poorly educated" and the GQP has taken it upon themselves to try and ensure that their followers are as poorly educated as possible. Being stupid is being honored and encouraged. They realize that molding young minds to their fascist ideals is the wave of the future for them. This country is on the way to some very bad shit.
Yep, they even want us to pay for it. Have you tithed to your local xtian madrassa lately?
Sotomayor dissent rips Supreme Court for dismantling “wall of separation between church and state"
Critics say SCOTUS is "forcing American taxpayers to fund private religious education"

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Tuesday warned that the court's right-wing majority had further eroded the nation's bedrock laws separating church and government when it ruled that Maine must include religious schools in a state-run tuition program.

"Today, the court leads us to a place where separation of church and state becomes a constitutional violation," wrote Sotomayor in the minority's dissent of the 6-3 decision.

Sotomayor was joined by fellow liberal Justices Elena Kagan and Stephen Breyer to oppose the majority opinion in Carson v. Makin, which centered on two families in Maine who wanted state taxpayers to pay for to send their children to attend private religious schools.

In Maine, where many rural communities do not have public high schools, towns must either contract with nearby public school districts so children can receive education there or pay tuition at a private "nonsectarian school in accordance with the First Amendment of the United States Constitution."

The schools named in the case aim to instill "a Christian worldview" in its students and are openly discriminatory against "homosexuals, individuals who are transgender, and non-Christians," according to a legal filing.

Under Tuesday's Supreme Court ruling, said one legal expert, those institutions and others like them now have "a right to taxpayer funding."

"Education is an opportunity for students to learn about themselves and others, which is why all students deserve to see themselves reflected in curricula and engage in learning that exposes them to new points of view," said Jesse O'Connell, senior vice president for education at the Center for American Progress. "By diverting tax dollars away from public schools and to schools that can openly discriminate, this ruling puts these core tenets in jeopardy."

In her dissent, Sotomayor wrote that the court's right-wing majority "continues to dismantle the wall of separation between church and state that the Framers fought to build."

"In just a few years, the Court has upended constitutional doctrine," the justice wrote, "shifting from a rule that permits States to decline to fund religious organizations to one that requires States in many circumstances to subsidize religious indoctrination with taxpayer dollars."

The ruling follows a number of decisions by the court favoring the religious right in recent years, including one allowing religious exemptions for employers that don't want to include contraception in healthcare coverage and one allowing Christian prayers before government meetings.

The latest "radical ruling," said Becky Pringle, president of the National Education Association, will undermine "public schools and the students they serve."

"Forcing American taxpayers to fund private religious education—even when those private schools fail to meet education standards, intentionally discriminate against students, or use public funds to promote religious training, worship, and instruction—erodes the foundation of our democracy and harms students," Pringle said.

"We are witnessing one of the most extreme Supreme Courts in modern history rewrite the most basic social commitments of our society—that publicly-funded education should be free and open to all without discrimination is one of those commitments," she added. "Shamefully, today's decision tosses aside that social commitment."
:ateeth:

I wish I had the ability to open up a taxpayer funded Satanic school. You would be my first hire, neoplacebo. You could repeat the miracle of loaves and fish slaps each week. Sourdough please.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:58 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Yep, they even want us to pay for it. Have you tithed to your local xtian madrassa lately?
Sotomayor dissent rips Supreme Court for dismantling “wall of separation between church and state"
Critics say SCOTUS is "forcing American taxpayers to fund private religious education"

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Tuesday warned that the court's right-wing majority had further eroded the nation's bedrock laws separating church and government when it ruled that Maine must include religious schools in a state-run tuition program.

"Today, the court leads us to a place where separation of church and state becomes a constitutional violation," wrote Sotomayor in the minority's dissent of the 6-3 decision.

Sotomayor was joined by fellow liberal Justices Elena Kagan and Stephen Breyer to oppose the majority opinion in Carson v. Makin, which centered on two families in Maine who wanted state taxpayers to pay for to send their children to attend private religious schools.

In Maine, where many rural communities do not have public high schools, towns must either contract with nearby public school districts so children can receive education there or pay tuition at a private "nonsectarian school in accordance with the First Amendment of the United States Constitution."

The schools named in the case aim to instill "a Christian worldview" in its students and are openly discriminatory against "homosexuals, individuals who are transgender, and non-Christians," according to a legal filing.

Under Tuesday's Supreme Court ruling, said one legal expert, those institutions and others like them now have "a right to taxpayer funding."

"Education is an opportunity for students to learn about themselves and others, which is why all students deserve to see themselves reflected in curricula and engage in learning that exposes them to new points of view," said Jesse O'Connell, senior vice president for education at the Center for American Progress. "By diverting tax dollars away from public schools and to schools that can openly discriminate, this ruling puts these core tenets in jeopardy."

In her dissent, Sotomayor wrote that the court's right-wing majority "continues to dismantle the wall of separation between church and state that the Framers fought to build."

"In just a few years, the Court has upended constitutional doctrine," the justice wrote, "shifting from a rule that permits States to decline to fund religious organizations to one that requires States in many circumstances to subsidize religious indoctrination with taxpayer dollars."

The ruling follows a number of decisions by the court favoring the religious right in recent years, including one allowing religious exemptions for employers that don't want to include contraception in healthcare coverage and one allowing Christian prayers before government meetings.

The latest "radical ruling," said Becky Pringle, president of the National Education Association, will undermine "public schools and the students they serve."

"Forcing American taxpayers to fund private religious education—even when those private schools fail to meet education standards, intentionally discriminate against students, or use public funds to promote religious training, worship, and instruction—erodes the foundation of our democracy and harms students," Pringle said.

"We are witnessing one of the most extreme Supreme Courts in modern history rewrite the most basic social commitments of our society—that publicly-funded education should be free and open to all without discrimination is one of those commitments," she added. "Shamefully, today's decision tosses aside that social commitment."

I wish I had the ability to open up a taxpayer funded Satanic school. You would be my first hire, neoplacebo. You could repeat the miracle of loaves and fish slaps each week. Sourdough please.
Florida pays these parents around $6,000/year/kid if you home or church school them. It's a Jeb thing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:58 am
neoplacebo wrote:

Yeah, I was reading about this earlier this morning. But hell, yes, let's get to work immediately on the "Neosatanic But All Purpose Crazy Flaming Heart Of Satan Church." And let's agitate strongly for the Satanic Subsidy for a daycare center and a Satanic Cooperative that sells only hot peppers of many varieties.