Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:35 pm
I don't know how famous. Last name was Allen, but I don't know if that was an americanization, a change or real. She never wanted to talk about her family's german past.
I searched:
Nazi rocket scientist allen
Huntsville rocket scientist allen
U.S. Space & Rocket Center allen

Nada, oh well.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:16 am
Well, I never thought of it as being ZZima, but it does seem to be the Master Beer for some.

Seriously, I've met a number of people from Germany. I worked in a well known biological research lab in the late 70's. The lab Director was something of a total asshole (personal friend of Chang Kai Shek). His executive assistant was a notoriouosly nasty American woman who was universally loathed by the staff. She had this 1940's style console for paging people, but the word was she would sit there with her finger on the button and eavesdrop on lab conversations at will. She was also very nasty and none of the questions she would ask were not leading. We had a visiting post-doc from Germany. He was very amiable and seemed like a good chap. My biggest blunder with him, was, well... he'd just come back from an interaction with the executive assistant and remarked, laughingly, that he should take her back to Germany. I replied, "Oh, no, she'd start another war!". I smiled when I said it, but his face fell and he looked crestfallen. I instantly felt bad. We didn't talk much after that. Perhaps because he was headed back to Germany. Not sure. But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...
I will guess these events were at Ft Detrick; anyway, I say Americans will have the same reaction the German doctor had when one mentions "the war" to him as we will have 30 years from now when someone mentions trump.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 am
Ulysses wrote:
... But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...
I will guess these events were at Ft Detrick; anyway, I say Americans will have the same reaction the German doctor had when one mentions "the war" to him as we will have 30 years from now when someone mentions trump.
Grandpa, what did you do to stop Trump?

I have some relatives, Christian side of the family, a married couple in Hamburg. They are near my age, so it would have been their grandparents that did whatever during WW2 - I didn't ask and they never volunteered. At my suggestion we visited Hamburg's Neuengamme concentration camp. They had never been. Did they even know about it? I can't remember, this was nearly 30 years ago. We were all moved, of course, and they seemed mostly at ease with talking about how fucked up Nazi Germany was back then.

Berliner Weisse mit Schuss is a yummy summer beer. Blackberry juice is how I was turned on to it, but there are apparently lots of options.
Mit Schuss: Fruit and Herbal Flavors are the Unsung Heroes of Berliner-Weisse Style Ales
No Nazi or Stasi implications that I'm aware of.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 am

I don't have bumper stickers, but I would love to see this one.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 pm
... decent light beer.
Oxymoron.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:34 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:40 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 am
Ulysses wrote:
... But I would guess most Germans are rather sensitive about such talk (as in the hysterically funny episode of Fawlty Towers where John Cleese cannot stop himself from mentioning "The War" until his guests from Germany start begging him to stop mentioning "The War"...) ...

I have some relatives, Christian side of the family, a married couple in Hamburg. They are near my age, so it would have been their grandparents that did whatever during WW2 - I didn't ask and they never volunteered. At my suggestion we visited Hamburg's Neuengamme concentration camp. They had never been. Did they even know about it? I can't remember, this was nearly 30 years ago. We were all moved, of course, and they seemed mostly at ease with talking about how fucked up Nazi Germany was back then.

Berliner Weisse mit Schuss is a yummy summer beer. Blackberry juice is how I was turned on to it, but there are apparently lots of options.
Mit Schuss: Fruit and Herbal Flavors are the Unsung Heroes of Berliner-Weisse Style Ales
No Nazi or Stasi implications that I'm aware of.
When I was drinking real beer, I would get mini-kegs, such as Heinken or Hofbrau München (HB Oktoberfestbier). Both good and better than from cans or bottles. Heinken in particular. For some reason, their bottles always seem to me to have a metallic taste, but the mini-kegs are OK. Just picked up another mini-keg of HB. Too much carb, but you only live once.

I will have to see if anyone has minikegs of a decent light beer.
I always thought PBRs has a metallic taste to them.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:39 pm

I always thought PBRs has a metallic taste to them.
You may not have ever had a real PBR. What's wearing that brand now is just another MillerCoors generic brew.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Remember Samuel L Jackson beer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ji1-BqaLaE

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Your alcoholic comedian buddy Ron White - "People are saying that I'm an alcoholic, and that's not true, because I only drink when I work, and I'm a workaholic."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:thumbup:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:22 pm

Not really, but then I was drinking my Billy Beer.

https://youtu.be/bpSb2y0Ygac
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

Unread post by Greg55_99 »

Foster's baby! It comes in a blue can!

Greg :-||
"Truth MATTERS"

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:08 am
neoplacebo wrote:

The speaker guy I worked for has about two dozen cases of Billy beer. He also has about the same quantity of Knoxville Worlds Fair Beer. They are all still sitting on pallets in the basement of the shop.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:24 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:08 am
neoplacebo wrote:

The speaker guy I worked for has about two dozen cases of Billy beer. He also has about the same quantity of Knoxville Worlds Fair Beer. They are all still sitting on pallets in the basement of the shop.
Billy Beer was just Falls City Beer - which was fairly popular with the Middle Tennessee crowd but an awful tasting cheap beer. Thankfully the Billy move killed the brewery.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If neoplacebo had a son:
Man Uses Bud Light to Help Save His Home from California Wildfire: 'I Didn't Have Any Water'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozqpW6KyI4

... On Monday, Bud Light tweeted a response to Little's harrowing story, writing, "Adding 'part time firefighter' to our resume." ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dictionary.com WORD OF THE DAY:

belly-wash

noun
any barely drinkable liquid or beverage, as inferior soda, beer, coffee, or soup.

:D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Speaking of belly-wash . . .
Archaeologists unearth world's oldest known beer factory in Egypt

... He said the factory apparently dates back to the region of King Narmer, who is widely known for his unification of ancient Egypt at the beginning of the First Dynastic Period (3150BC-2613BC)....
I wonder if the brewery had anything to do with the unification? :D

The archaeologists report that beer found sealed in ancient jugs still tastes better than Bud Light.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.