This Forum Has Already Gone to The Dogs.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
The Piper
Red Shirt

This Forum Has Already Gone to The Dogs.

Unread post by The Piper »

Earlier I wrote:

"They're Gone....."This board has no forums"

These boards aren't a place for adult discussions or debates......it's a venue for lashing out, cursing, and belittling those who disagree with one's own beliefs, religious convictions, sexual orientation, race, or anything else that comes to mind.

Obviously you can't vent your frustrations at home or at work, so you hide behind your keyboards to lash out at anyone who comments on or posts a subject. Sort of like the CB Rambos of the days of CB radios.

Pathetic. That's what it is. Pathetic.

I have taken a long, hard look at the threads posted in these forum boards and I am highly disappointed in what I thought was going to be a forum board to discuss and debate current issues. Instead, I find the replies to posts are nothing more than foul-mouthed bullying and cursings carried out by immature potty-mouths who's lives obviously revolve around their ability to hide behind a computer keyboard and spew their hateful filth and hatred. Someone will probably bad-mouth me for posting this.

I understand that Bannination created this forum as an uncensored venue in retaliation to BRNow's clamping down on attacks and foul language, and because their power went to their heads. I myself, was banned for two weeks merely for questioning the tactics of the "Moderator".

I think the creation of this "Uncensored" forum was a noble gesture, but unfortunately, the "uncensored" part is being grossly taken advantage of; and it mainly appears to be the folks who have joined from other out-of-town forums, with some of the local posters chiming in with their new-found "freedoms of speech".

Personally, if I was Bannination, I would take another look at the monster you've created and take appropriate action; but if each of you who post here enjoy this childish playground bickering and s**t-house language, then have at it. Don't forget to show your spouses, kids, or grand kids how prolific you are in the English language, and how well you have managed to master the art of debates and commentaries.

O Really
Admiral

Re: This Forum Has Already Gone to The Dogs.

Unread post by O Really »

I don't have a problem with language - if someone wants to say "fuck" or whatever, I can deal. But it does seem like there are better places for personal grudges. It's why I gave up on the Asheville Topix years ago. Too many people who know each other - or think they do - who yammer at each other on every thread. If they'd start a thread of their own, no problem with me. Seems like if a thread is, say, "Romney Stepped On His Dick With The 'Binder' Response" that we wouldn't have to deal with "I know yo mama and she's ugly" postings. Start a thread especially for people who go to family reunions to get dates and have eyes close together.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

The Piper wrote:Earlier I wrote:

These boards aren't a place for adult discussions or debates......it's a venue for lashing out, cursing, and belittling those who disagree with one's own beliefs, religious convictions, sexual orientation, race, or anything else that comes to mind.

Obviously you can't vent your frustrations at home or at work, so you hide behind your keyboards to lash out at anyone who comments on or posts a subject. Sort of like the CB Rambos of the days of CB radios.

I have taken a long, hard look at the threads posted in these forum boards and I am highly disappointed in what I thought was going to be a forum board to discuss and debate current issues. Instead, I find the replies to posts are nothing more than foul-mouthed bullying and cursings carried out by immature potty-mouths who's lives obviously revolve around their ability to hide behind a computer keyboard and spew their hateful filth and hatred. Someone will probably bad-mouth me for posting this.

I understand that Bannination created this forum as an uncensored venue in retaliation to BRNow's clamping down on attacks and foul language, and because their power went to their heads. I myself, was banned for two weeks merely for questioning the tactics of the "Moderator".

I think the creation of this "Uncensored" forum was a noble gesture, but unfortunately, the "uncensored" part is being grossly taken advantage of; and it mainly appears to be the folks who have joined from other out-of-town forums, with some of the local posters chiming in with their new-found "freedoms of speech".

Personally, if I was Bannination, I would take another look at the monster you've created and take appropriate action; but if each of you who post here enjoy this childish playground bickering and s**t-house language, then have at it. Don't forget to show your spouses, kids, or grand kids how prolific you are in the English language, and how well you have managed to master the art of debates and commentaries.

bye-bye.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

O Really wrote: Start a thread especially for people who go to family reunions to get dates and have eyes close together.
So when does your family get together for these date fests?
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

O'Really, your post above sounds like the deep end for you is closer than you think.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

I'm completely open to suggestions. I figured that over time everyone would get the cussing and whining out of their system and it would return to normal. I think/thought it was too soon to tell.

Here's what we really need to decide - I can create a moderated forum (while leaving this one intact and usable or not....) and see if there is enough interest, and we would have to come up with a set of rules that we as a community agree on.

My time is not exactly unlimited either, so we'd need both a conservative moderator we could trust, and a liberal moderator.

For now though, I'm going to post a general set of loose rules that I think everyone would be grateful for if followed, but won't be rules that you can be silenced or banned for.

I notice right now there are two posters that added absolutely nothing of value to this discussion. (Homerfobe and Reality).

Whatever we do, I'd like to decide it as a community, not as a dictator.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

Your efforts were beyond noble banni. I am not perfect and don't claim to be but some here just love to hate and have serious anger issues.
I will tell ya this 90% of the time I am just busting some because of their views. But getting ridiculed and called names by some in everyone of their post does get old.
Hey I love everyone and am proud to say so.
;)
Do what you think you have to it's your time and effort. :D
bannination wrote:

I'm completely open to suggestions. I figured that over time everyone would get the cussing and whining out of their system and it would return to normal. I think/thought it was too soon to tell.

Here's what we really need to decide - I can create a moderated forum (while leaving this one intact and usable or not....) and see if there is enough interest, and we would have to come up with a set of rules that we as a community agree on.

My time is not exactly unlimited either, so we'd need both a conservative moderator we could trust, and a liberal moderator.

For now though, I'm going to post a general set of loose rules that I think everyone would be grateful for if followed, but won't be rules that you can be silenced or banned for.

bannination
Captain

Colonel Taylor wrote:Your efforts were beyond noble banni. I am not perfect and don't claim to be but some here just love to hate and have serious anger issues.
I will tell ya this 90% of the time I am just busting some because of their views. But getting ridiculed and called names by some in everyone of their post does get old.
Hey I love everyone and am proud to say so.
;)
Do what you think you have to it's your time and effort. :D
Well thank you Colonel.

I think everyone slips up from time to time, but the ones that are on here doing it in almost every post.... yeah that's annoying. Perhaps they can be gently pushed to do better.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I personally am against any sort of moderator or moderation, and feel (rightly or wrongly) that the chronic abusers, haters, attackers, etc would very quickly disappear if only the more rational among us just ignore them long enough. But, on the other hand, it is quite possible that one or more are incorrigible and will never change. Those should be banned, unplugged, excommunicated, or shot. ok

bannination
Captain

neoplacebo wrote:I personally am against any sort of moderator or moderation, and feel (rightly or wrongly) that the chronic abusers, haters, attackers, etc would very quickly disappear if only the more rational among us just ignore them long enough. But, on the other hand, it is quite possible that one or more are incorrigible and will never change. Those should be banned, unplugged, excommunicated, or shot. ok

That is very true, everyone should remember they have an ignore button. Thanks for pointing that out, and thanks for the opinion.

Errr.... ok, no ignore button.... I shall have to work on that one.

AH!!!! My bad, you just click the user name of the person you'd like to ignore and add them as a "foe".
Last edited by bannination on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Ooops... and update

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I have my own ignore button located just before the first vestige of consciousness; once activated, no psychobabble can make any inroads at all. Made in America, too. Works good.

The Piper
Red Shirt

Unread post by The Piper »

MrB. wrote:Piper, it seems I recall that you were rather caustic in your postings before you left for Japan; am I not correct?

I can't recall whether or not you used four-letter words (which seems to have become rather popular in this new forum), but you weren't exactly a shining example of purity either......as far as that goes, neither was I.
You recall correctly, Mr.B.; however a year in Japan sent me home with a new outlook on life. After seeing the resolve and faith of the Japanese people, I realized that life is precious, and no one knows what tomorrow will bring. Back here in the U.S. I see nothing but hate and discord, in everyday life and in print.

One would have to witness the sheer agony and terror of the days, weeks, and months following the tsunami; people who lost their entire families and could not find any remains to bury. Their faiths and religions are much different from those found in the U.S., but the point is, they had a faith. They weren't at each other's throats, they weren't looting other's destroyed homes, or raping surviving women; nor were they screaming and cursing their government because they felt the government should be on their heels at all hours to wipe their noses.

I didn't embrace any religion or anything like that, but I did feel something I've never felt before in my life, and if there is a Higher Power, maybe, just maybe I was being told or shown something that would forever change my life away from all the death and destruction that surrounded me.

The first change has occurred, but I understand that God is patient.

Thanks for the reminder.

scooter
Red Shirt

Unread post by scooter »

Good confession, Piper, but it appears that no one was impressed enough to commend or comment.

I wish you the best in your life's decisions. :D

Apache
Red Shirt

Unread post by Apache »

I do believe people can change. We are often surround by events that can open our eyes and our hearts. I agree the hatred has grown in this country. Yet, the young people that I know are not full of hatred, so maybe after all of us old goats die, the things will get better. We can only hope.

mama
Red Shirt

Unread post by mama »

OH MY WORD....... after being gone for awhile I came back and refreshed my page. First think I saw in bold letters was, " Don't be a dick".............. I'm thinking, what did I do now? It was after I scrolled down that I realized that banni wasn't just talking to me but to everyone. -0-? :lol:

Apache
Red Shirt

Unread post by Apache »

Mr. B I have faith in the youngsters. They are from good stock. They dont put labels on people. They share with others and they are very mindful of the fact, safety nets will not be there for them. They are concerned about the planet and have learned to live simply and not let material things be the guide to success.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Apache wrote:Mr. B I have faith in the youngsters. They are from good stock. They dont put labels on people. They share with others and they are very mindful of the fact, safety nets will not be there for them. They are concerned about the planet and have learned to live simply and not let material things be the guide to success.
I have to disagree about that simple living. Some yes, but to generalize an entire generation is as inaccurate as implying that hatred has increased.
Apache wrote:I do believe people can change. We are often surround by events that can open our eyes and our hearts. I agree the hatred has grown in this country. Yet, the young people that I know are not full of hatred, so maybe after all of us old goats die, the things will get better. We can only hope.
I agree that the people I know IRL are not filled with hate, and the next generation is farther along the path of tolerance. Still, hate has always existed, as have greed, bigotry, and the lust for power. It's not human behavior that has changed, it's the technology that enables the hate to spread quickly.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Apache
Red Shirt

Unread post by Apache »

Agreed, I guess we tend to flock with those that have our standards for lack of a better word. I, too, know that we do not paint all people with the same brush. I have a friend that posted a cute pic, with Snoop Dog and Martha Stewart. The caption dont Let sterotypes fool you, only one of these people are a convicted Felon!!!!!!!

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

mama wrote:OH MY WORD....... after being gone for awhile I came back and refreshed my page. First think I saw in bold letters was, " Don't be a dick".............. I'm thinking, what did I do now?
Don't worry. If you're really a Mama, you've nothing to fear, unless of course you.......never mind. :lol:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Apache wrote:Mr. B I have faith in the youngsters. They are from good stock. They don't put labels on people. They share with others and they are very mindful of the fact, safety nets will not be there for them. They are concerned about the planet and have learned to live simply and not let material things be the guide to success.
Yes there is good stock, and there are many more who care less about how they look, act, or treat other people.

I began posting in the T/N threads on drugs and their evils. I've seen what drugs do to young people; they start softly and work up to the hard stuff, and eventually when they're hooked, they'll do anything, legal or illegal for more drugs. They don't care who they hurt, maim or kill; there's no thought for anyone but themselves.

Believe it or not, I was blasted to hell and back by a few liberals who literally accused me (I'm former DEA) of being the cause of our nation's drug problems because I was paid a salary (I "profited") to fight drugs.

I don't know what 'youngsters' you speak of, but unfortunately I saw the darker side of 'youngsters'.