Conflict of Interest?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Conflict of Interest?

Unread post by rstrong »

Wneglia wrote:Why couldn't voting machines be developed that print a receipt for the voter with all the information of how he voted, as well as some sort of centralized website where one could check the receipt against what was tabulated, to see if there was a change after leaving the voting booth?

:mrgreen:
Alas, that would be a nightmare.

You'll get thousands of people each election who - accidentally or maliciously - incorrectly claim that their receipt doesn't match how they voted. And since the voter's choice must be secret, you can't store any information to verify the claim.

You couldn't even verify whether the voter is using his own receipt. (If we know that the voter X got receipt# Y, and we can tell that receipt# Y was a vote for Z, then X's vote is no longer a secret.)

Anyone candidate wanting election results for a specific area to be thrown out - the area voted against him and nullifying its vote will turn the election in his favor - could just round up 20 people to all say that they votes were incorrectly registered. Confidence in the system would quickly become worse than with any actually rigged vote.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

rstrong wrote:
Wneglia wrote:Why couldn't voting machines be developed that print a receipt for the voter with all the information of how he voted, as well as some sort of centralized website where one could check the receipt against what was tabulated, to see if there was a change after leaving the voting booth?

You'll get thousands of people each election who - accidentally or maliciously - incorrectly claim that their receipt doesn't match how they voted. And since the voter's choice must be secret, you can't store any information to verify the claim.

You couldn't even verify whether the voter is using his own receipt. (If we know that the voter X got receipt# Y, and we can tell that receipt# Y was a vote for Z, then X's vote is no longer a secret.)

Anyone candidate wanting election results for a specific area to be thrown out - the area voted against him and nullifying its vote will turn the election in his favor - could just round up 20 people to all say that they votes were incorrectly registered. Confidence in the system would quickly become worse than with any actually rigged vote.
But couldn't the poll people assign you a PIN that would be next to the record you sign in with, and then you have to put the PIN in the voting machine, and the printout reflects your decision and PIN for tracking, and you are required to sign a post-vote list with your PIN stating that the receipt accurately reflected your choices. Yeah, it would take more time, but wouldn't it have more accuracy and trackability?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Wneglia wrote:
rstrong wrote:

But couldn't the poll people assign you a PIN that would be next to the record you sign in with, and then you have to put the PIN in the voting machine, and the printout reflects your decision and PIN for tracking, and you are required to sign a post-vote list with your PIN stating that the receipt accurately reflected your choices. Yeah, it would take more time, but wouldn't it have more accuracy and trackability?

yes, you could do everything you suggest and the machine could still be hacked to produce a wrong result. check out the link I posted above.
your idea would increase the work and the profits to the voting machine companies

how about put each race, referendum, etc on a separate color/# ballot, fill in out by hand and stick in a box with the same color/#. keep all the boxes in sight of poll watchers from all interested parties through the voting, counting and lockup of the ballots

taking a week or 10 days or whatever to count and recount as needed has the added benefit of including the many military votes that can come in 10 days late.

sure there could be isolated fraud - but not the wholesale fraud possible with the machines
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

It's funny how the libs are already starting to compile their excuses as to why Obama will lose! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:It's funny how the libs are already starting to compile their excuses as to why Obama will lose! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you are referring to my comment - no way did I mean anything about this race

obama knew about the problems in 2000 and 2004 and never lifted a finger to even start a discussion after he was elected. any problems in this election are all on him.

I'm only suggesting that something simple and verifiable should be done; it seems like a non-partisan issue and should be well thought out.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Simple solution and you can raise my taxes for this one and I will happily pay more, even donate!
Voting is the BIGGEST and GREATEST liberties in this country. Anyone who is caught intimidating, trying to commit voter fraud or voting who isn't supposed to should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years. When one person does any of this it effects the liberty of EVERYONE.

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:It's funny how the libs are already starting to compile their excuses as to why Obama will lose! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

obama knew about the problems in 2000 and 2004 and never lifted a finger to even start a discussion after he was elected. any problems in this election are all on him.

I'm only suggesting that something simple and verifiable should be done; it seems like a non-partisan issue and should be well thought out.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:Simple solution and you can raise my taxes for this one and I will happily pay more, even donate!
Voting is the BIGGEST and GREATEST liberties in this country. Anyone who is caught intimidating, trying to commit voter fraud or voting who isn't supposed to should be jailed for a minimum of 10 years. When one person does any of this it effects the liberty of EVERYONE.

billy.pilgrim wrote:

agree 100%

simpler would probably be a lot cheaper than the way we do it now; I've never been sure why we have to know the outcome of the presidential election on election day but the deployed military doesn't have to get their ballots in for 10 days after the election. kinda like telling a kid in afghanistan that his vote doesn't matter

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:Simple solution and you can raise my taxes for this one and I will happily pay more, even donate!

billy.pilgrim wrote:

agree 100%

simpler would probably be a lot cheaper than the way we do it now; I've never been sure why we have to know the outcome of the presidential election on election day but the deployed military doesn't have to get their ballots in for 10 days after the election. kinda like telling a kid in afghanistan that his vote doesn't matter
Even after the debacle in Fla. a few years back some still say my vote doesn't matter. Do they not realize all the votes cast are only one vote added together.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

a lot of votes didn't count in fla. and I imagine that a lot of people were disillusioned by the process.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Wneglia wrote:
Wneglia wrote:A vote for Romney is a vote for Obama.

"Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Those who count the votes decide everything." - Uncle Joe

Different state-same problem.

No wonder Obama is not worried about the polls.

Another state, another coincidence? :o

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Wneglia wrote:
Wneglia wrote:

I figure the libs went right pass suppression and went right to Chicago thuggery/cheating. LOL now for the SPIN!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:a lot of votes didn't count in fla. and I imagine that a lot of people were disillusioned by the process.
I just don't see how they can tell who wins an election since they have the secret ballot....maybe Turdybus can explain it for to me some.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Wneglia wrote:
Wneglia wrote:

There's that. But there's also "Obama’s lead in the Electoral College is modest, but also quite consistent across the different methods. The states in which every site has Mr. Obama leading make up 271 electoral votes — one more than the president needs to clinch victory. The states in which everyone has Mr. Romney ahead represent 206 electoral votes. That leaves five states, and 61 electoral votes, unaccounted for — but Mr. Obama would not need them if he prevails in the states where he is leading in the polls."

If you've got the polls AND the Chicago thugs going for you, how can you lose?