Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by Whack9 »

Holy shit. Morbid curiosity got the best of me. That dudes "manifesto" is 800 pages of racist hate filled rambling. 800 pages!
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:15 pm
Holy shit. Morbid curiosity got the best of me. That dudes "manifesto" is 800 pages of racist hate filled rambling. 800 pages!
I've heard "180 pages" a couple of times on TV. -0-? , I'm not bothering to look up his garbage.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I listened to some voices from Buffalo on the radio this morning. Many put the massacre in the context of hundreds of years of Black oppression, including the wimpy modern anti-CRT movement, as they should. Another pointed out that unlike the many options available in the suburbs this urban grocery is an oasis in a food desert. Its temporary closure has created a food crisis, thus extending the asshole's impact on mostly Blacks. :(
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So I used to think Idaho was some third-world asylum out in the middle of nowhere, and if there had to be nut cases somewhere, that was as good a place as any. Well, it is, but now that I know people who live there or close by, have to travel through/past now and then, and realize it's only a couple of hundred miles at its closest point to the California state line, articles like this one are seriously scary:

"Living With The Far-Right Insurgency In Idaho"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/living-far-i ... 06041.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:56 pm
So I used to think Idaho was some third-world asylum out in the middle of nowhere, and if there had to be nut cases somewhere, that was as good a place as any. Well, it is, but now that I know people who live there or close by, have to travel through/past now and then, and realize it's only a couple of hundred miles at its closest point to the California state line, articles like this one are seriously scary:

"Living With The Far-Right Insurgency In Idaho"
https://www.yahoo.com/news/living-far-i ... 06041.html
It talks at length about the Aryan Nations in the 1980s and 1990s, which I protested against at some peril. Though eventually bankrupted by the SPLC, in the long run they won and my team lost. :(
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 1:11 pm

It talks at length about the Aryan Nations in the 1980s and 1990s, which I protested against at some peril. Though eventually bankrupted by the SPLC, in the long run they won and my team lost. :(
Yes, it's particularly chilling for them to say that the Aryan Nation isn't necessary anymore since they have the Republicans.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: we's gots us racist, religious wingnuts a brand new antiblack people law

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

The Bay County Sheriff reportedly said at the recent KKK meet-up, "We gonna run those black folks out of Panama City Spring Break once an for all. They've run off all the decent white people that come here befor.

His new law bans as illegal noise, but only if the noise is coming from a car. No mention of retired cops and military on their Harleys at 80+ decibels.
"Plainly audible sound heard more than 50-feet from a vehicle during the day, or 25-feet between the hours of 10:00 pm to 7:00 am, would be illegal."

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/bay-co ... ordinance/

"For comparison, other common decibel levels are:

Normal breathing — 10 dB
Ticking watch — 20 dB
Normal rainfall — 35 dB
Refrigerator hum — 40 dB
Air conditioner — 60 dB
Washing machine — 70 dB
Traffic (inside car) — 80–85 dB
Lawnmowers — 80-85 dB"

https://decibelpro.app/blog/how-loud-is ... n%20office.

Take away their music and they will leave.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Sometimes it would be nice if noise ordinances actually were enforced, but that one seems a bit harsh. From 25 feet away, I'm pretty sure you can hear a Tesla go by - certainly any normal-muffled car or truck. If the "plainly audible sound" applies only to sound coming from the car stereo, then maybe that works. In any case, I'd agree they have a "targeted" audience for enforcement.

(BTW, is the technology inside a car that's used for playing music, etc. still even called generically a "stereo"? Seems archaic, but I don't know the current term.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:16 am
Sometimes it would be nice if noise ordinances actually were enforced, but that one seems a bit harsh. From 25 feet away, I'm pretty sure you can hear a Tesla go by - certainly any normal-muffled car or truck. If the "plainly audible sound" applies only to sound coming from the car stereo, then maybe that works. In any case, I'd agree they have a "targeted" audience for enforcement.
Yeah, country music is always exempt, hip-hop is always too loud, and other music enforcement is variable depending on the cop.
(BTW, is the technology inside a car that's used for playing music, etc. still even called generically a "stereo"? Seems archaic, but I don't know the current term.)
Why? Most systems are still 2 channel playback since we have 2 ears.

Edit: Never mind. 'Stereo' is not linked to '2'. Rather, it describes a playback environment.
Stereophonic sound or, more commonly, stereo, is a method of sound reproduction that recreates a multi-directional, 3-dimensional audible perspective. This is usually achieved by using two independent audio channels through a configuration of two loudspeakers (or stereo headphones) in such a way as to create the impression of sound heard from various directions, as in natural hearing.

Because the multi-dimensional perspective is the crucial aspect, the term stereophonic also applies to systems with more than two channels or speakers such as quadraphonic and surround sound. Binaural sound systems are also stereophonic.

Stereo sound has been in common use since the 1970s in entertainment media such as broadcast radio, TV, recorded music, internet, computer audio, video cameras, and cinema.

Etymology

The word stereophonic derives from the Greek στερεός (stereós, "firm, solid") + φωνή (phōnḗ, "sound, tone, voice") and it was coined in 1927 by Western Electric, by analogy with the word stereoscopic.

Description

Stereo sound systems can be divided into two forms: the first is true or natural stereo in which a live sound is captured, with any natural reverberation present, by an array of microphones. The signal is then reproduced over multiple loudspeakers to recreate, as closely as possible, the live sound.

Secondly artificial or pan stereo, in which a single-channel (mono) sound is reproduced over multiple loudspeakers. By varying the relative amplitude of the signal sent to each speaker, an artificial direction (relative to the listener) can be suggested. The control which is used to vary this relative amplitude of the signal is known as a pan-pot (panoramic potentiometer). By combining multiple pan-potted mono signals together, a complete, yet entirely artificial, sound field can be created.

In technical usage, true stereo means sound recording and sound reproduction that uses stereographic projection to encode the relative positions of objects and events recorded....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:35 pm

Edit: Never mind. 'Stereo' is not linked to '2'. Rather, it describes a playback environment.
Understood, but do people still refer to their in-car music/sat receiving/bluetooth player as a "stereo"?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:44 pm
Understood, but do people still refer to their in-car music/sat receiving/bluetooth player as a "stereo"?
Some may say 'audio', but I don't understand why 'stereo' would be dated given its definition all along.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I think the current popular term is just "sound system." Your eyes are also "stereo" and if you close just one of them you can demonstrate the fact. Stereo gives a sense of depth to auditory and visual input.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:39 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

I think the current popular term is just "sound system." Your eyes are also "stereo" and if you close just one of them you can demonstrate the fact. Stereo gives a sense of depth to auditory and visual input.
Yep. It's sound system.
Stereo is sooo boomer.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Thu May 19, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - "sound system" it is.
There is a wide variety of "sound systems" though. The one in my motorcoach has a radio w/satellite, bluetooth, accessory/usb connector, video screen with camera, four in-cab speakers and interconnected with surround sound. The "sound system" in my jeep ummm, does not.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Conservative Pundit Points Out The Republican 'Weak Spot’ For 2022 Midterms
It “ought to be a major issue” that Democrats point out about the GOP, Charlie Sykes told MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace.

Democrats should seek to capitalize on Republicans’ stance (or lack thereof) on tackling domestic terrorism, conservative commentator Charlie Sykes said Thursday.

It’s a “weak spot” for the GOP ahead of the 2022 midterm elections that “ought to be a major issue” brought up by Democrats, the founder of The Bulwark news network told MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace.

An overwhelming majority of House Republicans voted this week against legislation that seeks to prevent homegrown extremism, even as attacks and plots from the far-right currently outpace those from any other group.

“This is the party of law and order, this is a party that spent decades stressing that they were strong about terrorism, but who are the terrorists now?” Sykes asked. “What is the threat?”

Sykes suggested Republicans may have a “guilty consciousness that if they took an aggressive position on this, that it might ensnare some of their allies and they might be held accountable for some of their own rhetoric.”

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBTJCAF5RU[/youtube]
Is it a weak spot, though? -0-?
COVID's Death Milestone And Mass Shootings: Is Mass Death The New Normal?
Americans have always tolerated high rates of death and suffering — among certain segments of society.

... Dr. Megan Ranney of Brown University’s School of Public Health calls it a frustrating “learned helplessness.”

“There’s been almost a sustained narrative created by some that tells people that these things are inevitable,” says Ranney, an ER doctor who did gun violence research before COVID-19 hit. “It divides us when people think that there’s nothing they can do.”

She wonders if people really understand the sheer numbers of people dying from guns, from COVID-19 and from opioids. The CDC said this month that more than 107,000 Americans died of drug overdoses in 2021, setting a record....
:problem: :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Guns, Jesus and Babies

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:53 am
Republican Candidate’s Bonkers Campaign Sign Has Everyone Puzzled
Wait, what???

A Republican candidate seeking the party’s nomination for governor in Georgia held an event with a “Jesus Guns Babies” sign on her bus as she insisted that the state is a Christian theocracy....

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:52 am
Jesus, Guns and Babies? :laughing-rolling:

Jesus founded our country? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

She's got 22,000 Twitter followers....it's a movement!

https://mobile.twitter.com/KandissTaylo ... _&ref_url=
Back to HuffPo:
Jesus does not gun babies. There weren’t even any guns in the days of Jesus. Jesus Guns Babies indeed 😂🤪🙄🙄
"Jesus Guns Babies," well if Jesus does it why is this abortion thing so divisive? Isn't gunning babies worse than the morning after pill?
"Jesus Guns & Babies" is my least favorite Warren Zevon song #LouderThanMAGA
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:48 am
... She's a public school teacher with a PhD. Must not be History . . . or Logic.
https://kandisstaylor.com/meet-kandiss/
Those poor kids. Oh, she's the "Jesus, Guns, and Babies!" candidate that someone posted about earlier. Figures....
Great minds:
This deranged "MAGA Christian" woman was an elementary school guidance counselor x 19 years before becoming a knows-nothing-about-the-Constitution candidate. Imagine all the junior MAGAphiles she groomed in Georgia.
JESUS! GUNS! BABIES! THEOCRACY!`
"Jesus • Guns • Babies" is the most succinct possible statement of the grassroots Republican/MAGA platform: the word "White" is implied. Oh, and shooting people who don't obey.

If any of these maniacs gain power, we can't say we weren't warned.
More scathing at the link.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The cult gushes in awe.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: we's gots us racist, religious wingnuts a brand new antiblack people law

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 8:31 am
The Bay County Sheriff reportedly said at the recent KKK meet-up, "We gonna run those black folks out of Panama City Spring Break once an for all. They've run off all the decent white people that come here befor.

His new law bans as illegal noise, but only if the noise is coming from a car. No mention of retired cops and military on their Harleys at 80+ decibels.
"Plainly audible sound heard more than 50-feet from a vehicle during the day, or 25-feet between the hours of 10:00 pm to 7:00 am, would be illegal."

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/bay-co ... ordinance/

"For comparison, other common decibel levels are:

Normal breathing — 10 dB
Ticking watch — 20 dB
Normal rainfall — 35 dB
Refrigerator hum — 40 dB
Air conditioner — 60 dB
Washing machine — 70 dB
Traffic (inside car) — 80–85 dB
Lawnmowers — 80-85 dB"

https://decibelpro.app/blog/how-loud-is ... n%20office.

Take away their music and they will leave.
If we can't stop the noise, we'll close the beach until we get our white crowds back. After all, white people look better with our white sand.

https://www.wjhg.com/2022/06/10/panama- ... ordinance/

What was the show from 20 or 25 years ago that promoted white teenagers being nude and having sex during spring break?

Panama City was a top location.

O Really
Admiral

"Girls Gone Wild"?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Every show on the CW?
1312. ETTD.