Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede wrote:40 below or so in the high plains oil patch, pipe burst in the basement and flooded the furnace, no heat, we all moved our mattresses into one room for the night, woke to find the toilet frozen - no surprise - but the Listerine (about 26.9 percent alcohol) was frozen (slushy), too, all baseboard hot water heat, we knew it would be a long time before repair, moved out that day. That year it was so cold for so long - a month or so below zero - that when it got to 10 below with no wind we were outdoors frolicking. Your spit freezes before it hits the ground and rolls along like a thick jelly. I would hitch to work, never saw a third car because one of the first two would pick me up thinking I would die. I was okay, though, dressed for working outside all day. We had shunts in the pickup radiator houses so we could circulate hot water into the (workover) rig in order to unfreeze it and crank it up. Perspective, no complaints here.

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ine#p33963
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Sometime Lefty wrote:Rstrong, what outdoor temperature do you consider warm? hot? and cold? and coldest you been in?
Warm: +15C/+59F. Above that you can walk around outside without a jacket.

Hot: +28C/+82F. Above that it gets uncomfortable outside, unless you're at the beach.

Cold (early winter): -15C/+5F. Below that and you have to pay attention and bundle up.

Cold (mid-winter): -28C/-18F. That's where it starts getting not so much cold as just painful. You reminisce about how WARM it was as -15C. But you can mock Toronto when they go down to -15C and it shuts down the city.

Coldest I've experienced: -47C/-52.6F, in The Pas, northern Manitoba in the 1970s. I was outside building snow forts with the other kids.

Here in Winnipeg we get a number of days each winter around -35F/-31F. And about once a decade it'll drop below -30C/-22F for an entire month, never rising above that day or night. There was one day a decade ago when a spot a few miles northwest of the city was officially the coldest spot on the planet, including both poles.

Now, all this is WITHOUT factoring in wind chill. You'll hear that it's -35 but feels like (mentally blocked). When weather forecasts warn of "dangerous conditions", keep in mind that the condition before "dangerous conditions" is "exposed skin freezes in less than one minute." Really.

I've waited for a bus at -35 in dead calm - and with the sun shining down on my face, it felt so wonderfully comfortable that it was putting me to sleep. But -20 in a strong wind can be just awful.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote: New Orleans is not what Boat is talking about. Go South from NO into a whole new world

Been dere - heard dat. Ateabuncha boudin. Know it's spelled "file" and has nothing to do with fish.

O Really
Admiral

Your NC Republicans flushing more money down the drain while getting their asses handed to them (yet again)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... r_law.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ross got beaten up on the issue. Dems are more fiscally responsible and respectful of the Constitution, that's exactly why the GOP falsely claims that it is.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote: New Orleans is not what Boat is talking about. Go South from NO into a whole new world

Been dere - heard dat. Ateabuncha boudin. Know it's spelled "file" and has nothing to do with fish.

but do you know what it is, where to buy it and when to use it

(and what the roots of the same tree are used for)
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

That would be either sassafras tea or root beer. Don't know right off where I'd buy it, but I'll bet Zaterain's has some.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:That would be either sassafras tea or root beer. Don't know right off where I'd buy it, but I'll bet Zaterain's has some.

bingo ground up sassafras leaves are file
the roots do make some good tea.

do not add the file until right before serving

The winn Dixie in Inverness would order it for me

I once read that sassafras is carcinogenic
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I never knew.
Sassafras oil

... It has had a traditional and widespread use as a natural diuretic, as well as a remedy against urinary tract disorders or kidney problems until safrole was discovered to be hepatotoxic and weakly carcinogenic (7,51). In 1960 the FDA banned the use of sassafras oil as a food and flavoring additive because of the high content of safrole and its proven carcinogenic effects (52). Several years later the interstate shipment of sassafras bark for making tea was prohibited. However, pure sassafras oil is still available online and also in some health food stores....
"weakly carcinogenic" probably means that occasional ingestion is harmless.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

If you consider yourself a Liberal (or a Democrat),
please have a clean pair of step-ins in hand before reading this

:lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:If you consider yourself a Liberal (or a Democrat),
please have a clean pair of step-ins in hand before reading this
Nonsense.

Republicans ran the most misogynistic, rapey, Black-Lives-Matter-hating, Latino-deporting, Muslim-banning, conspiracy-wingnut-courting, tax-dodging con-man they could find, along with a homophobic anti-science nutjob for good measure. And won.

Democrats lost by refusing to cater to the scum that Republicans are enthusiastic about working with.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:Image
Given that toddlers with guns kill more Americans than terrorists most years, you have a sick and twisted idea of who's decent and who's bad. But then we already knew that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Include the emotional toddlers and it's every year.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:"...you have a sick and twisted idea...."
Vrede too wrote:"Include the emotional toddlers...."
Hee Hee! Here we go again...so predictable! :lol:
Image © Seth Miller

Ol' Seth got your number; big time..! :lol:

The "sick and twisted minds" here are "those" who are so thin-skinned... :lol:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"Include the emotional toddlers and it's every year."
Yep...there's a bunch of y'un's...

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Weird. Mr.B tries to convince everyone that he's not acting like a toddler.... by posting childish insults.

:roll:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:"Weird. Mr.B tries to convince everyone that he's not acting like a toddler.... by posting childish insults." :roll:
Awww...cry me a river. :crybaby: I'm just posting to your level. Can't stand it, can you?

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:Weird. Mr.B tries to convince everyone that he's not acting like a toddler.... by posting childish insults.

:roll:
Wingnuts lack the irony recognition gene; it's why they have so much trouble spotting both satire & their own hypocrisy.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.