Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:39 pm
Bush, H.W.(hard wired) version, threw up in Japan in front of Japanese dignitaries the lap of Prime Minister of Japan, Kiichi Miyazawa.

Ftfy.

It set us back thirty years; should have been on tv....
It was.

"Footage of the President vomiting was broadcast on the ABC network."

George H.W. Bush Vomits - January 8, 1992 (Highest Quality - Restored)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Bush, H.W.(hard wired) version, threw up in Japan in front of Japanese dignitaries. It set us back thirty years; should have been on tv. His idiot son tried to go through a locked door (this might have been in Japan, too) and then grinned like a fool trying to recover. That was on tv. But it would have been better if he'd pissed his pants at the threshold of the locked door while he grinned.
Even better would be if GB pushed harder on the door, and it suddenly opened, and he plunged into a large barrel of warm sake.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:15 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Bush, H.W.(hard wired) version, threw up in Japan in front of Japanese dignitaries the lap of Prime Minister of Japan, Kiichi Miyazawa.

Ftfy.

It was.

Excellent. I didn't realize it had been captured in all its stark and shocking beauty. And that music is so light and airy. Overall, I'd rank it right up there with Manifest Destiny and the Marshall Plan.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:15 pm
neoplacebo wrote:

Ftfy.

It was.

Excellent. I didn't realize it had been captured in all its stark and shocking beauty. And that music is so light and airy. Overall, I'd rank it right up there with Manifest Destiny and the Marshall Plan.
Except, as I understand it, the Marshall Plan was actually good for a lot of good people. Not so sure about the ManDest, though. That seemed to hurt a lot of good people.

I forget: did papa Bush get some stomach virus that cause him to spew in public? This scene probably did more than anything else to sink his chances of re-election, assuming it happened while he was still in the WH. Plus the voting public seemed to want good old boy Billy Bob Clinton instead. Hell, I voted for him too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 am
If FDR had done that during his "infamy" speech, we would have lost WW2 . . . unless he also did it to the Prime Minister of Japan, in which case we would have instantly won.
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:21 am
Except, as I understand it, the Marshall Plan was actually good for a lot of good people. Not so sure about the ManDest, though. That seemed to hurt a lot of good people.

neoplacebo is talking about the foreign policy importance of the moment, not whether it's a good or bad thing.

I forget: did papa Bush get some stomach virus that cause him to spew in public? This scene probably did more than anything else to sink his chances of re-election, assuming it happened while he was still in the WH. Plus the voting public seemed to want good old boy Billy Bob Clinton instead. Hell, I voted for him too.

:roll: There's a link right there with the details, including date, cause and legacy.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I thought about mentioning the Domino theory but waved it off. It was just another busted dream.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:32 am
neoplacebo is talking about the foreign policy importance of the moment, not whether it's a good or bad thing.
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:10 pm
I thought about mentioning the Domino theory but waved it off. It was just another busted dream.
:lol:
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:56 am
( :crybaby: )
Useless really hates it when we notice that he's being a moron, again.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

It would seem he's a trickle down hall monitor. There's a time delay before things trickle down to trickle a response. Fickle trickle.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I remember as a kid watching Alan Funt's Candid Camera tv show and was thinking the other day that his show would never make it today because there's so many gullible fucking idiots around that are ready and willing to believe any goddamn thing. Especially if they like it. But maybe it's not a bad idea after all. I think I could work it with the right backing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Wait - are you saying these reinstate Trump - antivaxxer people are NOT part of a Candid Camera stunt? Naaa.

My favourites on that show included when they "closed Delaware for repairs" and were turning away people at the border; and the "hearing ear dog" when people had to speak to the dog, who then "spoke" to his owner. Why they thought the owner could hear the dog and not hear them is funny itself.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:11 pm
Wait - are you saying these reinstate Trump - antivaxxer people are NOT part of a Candid Camera stunt? Naaa.
:lol: :angry-banghead:
My favourites on that show included when they "closed Delaware for repairs" and were turning away people at the border; and the "hearing ear dog" when people had to speak to the dog, who then "spoke" to his owner. Why they thought the owner could hear the dog and not hear them is funny itself.
:thumbup: I still remember a car that pulls into a garage, but has no engine - they rolled it downhill.

The Hot Zone: Anthrax

A look a the events that took place in 2001, just weeks after 9/11, when the United States was rocked by another deadly act of terrorism.
Dramatized, but well made and gripping.

Episodes 3 and 4 are premiering tonight on NatGeo, but I'm just now watching Episodes 1 and 2.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

See my signature...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:18 pm
( :crybaby: )
Ummm, you picked this fight. It's on this same page! Pretending that you're above it all now is just dumb.
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 am
Useless really hates it when we notice that he's being a moron, again.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:48 pm

A look a the events that took place in 2001, just weeks after 9/11, when the United States was rocked by another deadly act of terrorism.

Episodes 3 and 4 are premiering tonight on NatGeo, but I'm just now watching Episodes 1 and 2.
6 episodes and done. I learned tons that I'd never followed closely at the time. The drama of it led me to look up facts:

2001 anthrax attacks
Bruce Edwards Ivins

I guess that it's still a mystery to some, not to others. There was even a Richard Jewell-like suspect:

Steven Hatfill

This is interesting:
... In 2020 he (Hatfill) became a coronavirus advisor to the Trump White House, where he strongly promoted the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat the virus despite FDA objections to the drug. After the 2020 election he became part of Donald Trump's attempt to overturn the election results.
Ironic that he had been the victim of false accusations. I don't feel so bad for him now.
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:08 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:48 pm

6 episodes and done. I learned tons that that I'd never followed closely at the time. The drama of it led me to look up facts:

2001 anthrax attacks
Bruce Edwards Ivins

I guess that it's still a mystery to some, not to others. There was even a Richard Jewell-like suspect:

Steven Hatfill

This is interesting:
... In 2020 he (Hatfill) became a coronavirus advisor to the Trump White House, where he strongly promoted the use of hydroxychloroquine to treat the virus despite FDA objections to the drug. After the 2020 election he became part of Donald Trump's attempt to overturn the election results.
Ironic that he had been the victim of false accusations. I don't feel so bad for him now.
If I don't watch: did they mention the attack on the lone woman and her military connection that put her on the last chopper out of Vietnam?

Initially the media talked it up and then stopped.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:32 am
If I don't watch: did they mention the attack on the lone woman and her military connection that put her on the last chopper out of Vietnam?

Lone woman that died. "Kathy Nguyen, a Vietnamese immigrant resident in the New York City borough of the Bronx who worked in the city". Not in detail, perhaps because the "source of exposure to the bacteria is still unknown" for her.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Lone woman that died. "Kathy Nguyen, a Vietnamese immigrant resident in the New York City borough of the Bronx who worked in the city". Not in detail, perhaps because the "source of exposure to the bacteria is still unknown" for her.
Seems so CIAish to be one of the lucky ones on that flight and even tangentially connected here.
It's a conspiracy - possibly a (((Deep State))), or was it Hillary?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Seems so CIAish to be one of the lucky ones on that flight and even tangentially connected here.
The only conspiracy that existed in Vietnam on the part of Vietnamese was how to best benefit from US largesse. And in that context, the deeper the deep state, the better. Anything else is just bullshit.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

The only conspiracy that existed in Vietnam on the part of Vietnamese was how to best benefit from US largesse. And in that context, the deeper the deep state, the better. Anything else is just bullshit.
Not what I meant. Much simpler.

A Vietnamese woman saved by a CIA type at the end of the war may have pissed off her CIA lover who now, 25 years later worked with anthrax. The whole anthrax scare was a simple diversion to obscure his lover or blackmailer or whatever their Last Choper Out connection was.

Whatever happened is only wild speculation on my part.
That there is a strange connection in the deadly anthrax letters to our "royals" and to some obscure immigrant from Vietnam seems without any other explanation.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:57 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Not what I meant. Much simpler.

A Vietnamese woman saved by a CIA type at the end of the war may have pissed off her CIA lover who now, 25 years later worked with anthrax. The whole anthrax scare was a simple diversion to obscure his lover or blackmailer or whatever their Last Choper Out connection was.

Whatever happened is only wild speculation on my part.
That there is a strange connection in the deadly anthrax letters to our "royals" and to some obscure immigrant from Vietnam seems without any other explanation.
I have no knowledge of this supposed "last flight out" woman. I was just commenting on the general conditions that were prevalent there for nearly twenty years. But to address the woman's specific situation, if she was on one of the last outbound flights from Saigon, she likely flew to the carrier USS Midway which was part of the US Navy's operation Frequent Wind. She may or may not have been a love interest for some CIA officer; American citizens having sexual relationships with Vietnamese was not uncommon. The idea that this supposed relationship resulted in her death along with some possible link to anthrax more than two decades later is too much for me to swallow. Why wait that long? The CIA has no involvement with biological agents; all that stuff is done by folks at Ft Detrick MD and a few other sites. I just consider the whole thing coincidence. Edit: a good book about this situation was written by a CIA agent named Frank Snepp. It's title is "Decent Interval."