Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:27 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:36 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:16 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:53 pm
The guy (a former cop) who killed a guy in a FL movie theater for tossing a bag of popcorn at him is on CourtTV now. It's just on jury selection now, but this one looks to be a doozy. I plan to catch some of it when it gets down to it.
Wasn't that shooting over 10 years ago?
The defendant is a former high rank cop and was likely just getting continuances hoping he'd die before the case came to trial. Everybody loves continuances......lawyers, defendants, judges, most everybody except the parties who should actually matter. And the money is good.
Acquitted. Popcorn is lethal
I suppose if fired, unpopped, from a shot gun, it could cause some damage. But, lethal?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:27 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:53 pm
The guy (a former cop) who killed a guy in a FL movie theater for tossing a bag of popcorn at him is on CourtTV now. It's just on jury selection now, but this one looks to be a doozy. I plan to catch some of it when it gets down to it.
Acquitted. Popcorn is lethal
I suppose if fired, unpopped, from a shot gun, it could cause some damage. But, lethal?
:roll: Get a 4th grader to explain the tangent to you.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:04 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

It must have been the same jury that acquitted Zimmerman. FL sure is fucked up. But with any luck this old white whale will blow his head off while cleaning his guns. I watched the closing arguments in this case and felt sure the ex cop would be found guilty. FL sure is fucked up.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I've noticed that my favorite advertising guy is back doing Allstate ads. The Mayhem Guy. He kicks ass. My favorite one was when he was riding the running boards of a pickup truck and he says "I'm your blind spot" and then the truck starts a sideways out of control skid causing untold mayhem. The guy was also in the first John Wick movie as the assistant to the Russian father of the asshole Russian kid that killed John's dog and stole his car. Mayhem.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:58 am
I've noticed that my favorite advertising guy is back doing Allstate ads. The Mayhem Guy. He kicks ass. My favorite one was when he was riding the running boards of a pickup truck and he says "I'm your blind spot" and then the truck starts a sideways out of control skid causing untold mayhem. The guy was also in the first John Wick movie as the assistant to the Russian father of the asshole Russian kid that killed John's dog and stole his car. Mayhem.
:thumbup:
Mayhem

Mayhem was created by Leo Burnett Worldwide. Burnett pitched the character to Allstate as "Mr. Mayhem", comparing him to the character Mr. White from the 1992 film Reservoir Dogs played by Harvey Keitel.

Mayhem has been played by Dean Winters since the campaign was launched in April 2010. The character wears a black suit, white dress shirt, and black necktie and his face is usually bruised, scarred, or wearing a butterfly bandage....

There is a Hispanic version named La Mala Suerte (meaning Bad Luck) for the Spanish-speaking market portrayed by Alberto Mateo.
:D You soy La Mala Suerte. Adios.

Dean Winters

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

This 6 part series could be interesting. Starts on 3/11.

https://youtu.be/C_T1IqlQba4
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:crazy:
... "I am in utter disbelief," wrote one fan, while another thanked the show for not editing the moment out.

"I am in tears," added another viewer.

Full disclosure: I am fully capable of having a brain fart when playing word games, though I don't think I would have had this particular brain fart. Maybe because they're all younger than me?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:50 am

Full disclosure: I am fully capable of having a brain fart when playing word games, though I don't think I would have had this particular brain fart. Maybe because they're all younger than me?
I'd love to see a Wheel/Jeopardy crossover with some of these people.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:37 pm
Law & Order 2022. Strong continuity with the 12 years defunct original. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The premier is taken from the Bill Cosby rapes. Interesting choice, and it makes the case for someone to kill him. :o
Episode 2 and I'm already done. Too many incongruities, ridiculous premises and contradictions. Since I don't expect wholesale firing of the writers and director, it's over for me.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:17 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:37 pm
Law & Order 2022. Strong continuity with the 12 years defunct original. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The premier is taken from the Bill Cosby rapes. Interesting choice, and it makes the case for someone to kill him. :o
Episode 2 and I'm already done. Too many incongruities, ridiculous premises and contradictions. Since I don't expect wholesale firing of the writers and director, it's over for me.
The first episode was OK, though not wonderful. I haven't seen the second, and probably won't. Call me back when they've either gotten rid of or changed the characteristics of the Jeffrey Donovan character. I used to like him a lot in "Burn Notice" but he's such an obnoxious asshole in L&O that it spoils the whole show.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:24 pm
The first episode was OK, though not wonderful. I haven't seen the second, and probably won't. Call me back when they've either gotten rid of or changed the characteristics of the Jeffrey Donovan character. I used to like him a lot in "Burn Notice" but he's such an obnoxious asshole in L&O that it spoils the whole show.
Yeah, that too.

Otoh, tonight :lol: :
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:27 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:55 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:09 pm
Ghosts

A young couple, whose dreams come true when they inherit a beautiful country house, only to find it's both falling apart and inhabited by many of the deceased previous residents.
Kinda cute, but maybe the premise will get old. I'll give it another try or two.
Worked well for "Beetle Juice."
It'll be on here in an hour. We'll try it.
:lol: I'm still into it. It's staying fresh and clever for me.
Growing on me.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:32 pm

Tonight's was a five.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Tonight's was a five.
5/5 or 5/10?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:26 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Tonight's was a five.
5/5 or 5/10?
Sorry, 5/10.

Not their best effort.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Been watching more film noir on the Movies! channel.

Just watched an excellent flick starring John Garfield. He was an good actor who got blacklisted. The film is "The Breaking Point", made in 1950, co-starring a young Patricia Neal. It's about a fishing captain who is struggling to make ends meet and is forced to use his craft for illegal non-fishing purposes.

Garfield's blacklisting came about because he refused to name names before the House Committee on Un-American Activities in 1951. After that he coudn't find film acting work, and died of a heart attack the next year in 1952. The Breaking Point was his next to last film.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Weekend Update Jokes That Are too Hot to Air

:o :laughing-rolling: (I think that at least some were aired)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Benjamin Franklin

Ken Burns’s two-part, four-hour documentary, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, explores the revolutionary life of one of the 18th Century’s most consequential and compelling personalities, whose work and words unlocked the mystery of electricity and helped create the United States. Franklin’s 84 years (1706-1790) spanned an epoch of momentous change in science, technology, literature, politics, and government—fields he himself advanced through a lifelong commitment to societal and self-improvement. Over the course of seven impossibly prolific decades, Franklin ascended professional and social ladders, rising from a printer’s apprentice in provincial Boston to the most popular man in Paris, France....

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, directed and executive produced by Ken Burns, written by Dayton Duncan, and produced by David Schmidt and Ken Burns, premieres April 4-5, 2022.
:clap: :clap: :clap: for the documentary.
:-|| :-|| :-|| for Benjamin Franklin, himself.

PBS, so:
Reruns;
Streaming;
Available for recording to DVD, as was the norm when Franklin was alive. ;)
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:01 am
Benjamin Franklin

Ken Burns’s two-part, four-hour documentary, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, explores the revolutionary life of one of the 18th Century’s most consequential and compelling personalities, whose work and words unlocked the mystery of electricity and helped create the United States. Franklin’s 84 years (1706-1790) spanned an epoch of momentous change in science, technology, literature, politics, and government—fields he himself advanced through a lifelong commitment to societal and self-improvement. Over the course of seven impossibly prolific decades, Franklin ascended professional and social ladders, rising from a printer’s apprentice in provincial Boston to the most popular man in Paris, France....

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, directed and executive produced by Ken Burns, written by Dayton Duncan, and produced by David Schmidt and Ken Burns, premieres April 4-5, 2022.
:clap: :clap: :clap: for the documentary.
:-|| :-|| :-|| for Benjamin Franklin, himself.

PBS, so:
Reruns;
Streaming;
Available for recording to DVD, as was the norm when Franklin was alive. ;)
Thx.