SPORTS!!!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: SPORTS!!!

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I know nothing about Cricket, but I do know a great play when I see one.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:09 am
I know nothing about Cricket, but I do know a great play when I see one.

https://mobile.twitter.com/mlbelites_/s ... 5619278848
:-||

Katie Ledecky named AP Female Athlete of the Year for second time as historic dominance continues

Katie Ledecky was named Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year for the second time on Wednesday.
:clap:
A close second for the award was fellow world-record-holder, Sydney McLaughlin. The track star and Ledecky tied in total points, but Ledecky received 10 first-place votes to McLaughlin’s nine. Las Vegas Aces’ WNBA Champion A’ja Wilson finished third and reigning NCAA Champion, University of South Carolina’s Aliyah Boston was fourth.
:oops: I've never heard of the 3 also-rans.
The honor culminates a year of excellence for Ledecky, who moved from California to Florida to train with coach Adam Nesty in September.
She's an anti-O Really. ;)
The coast-to-coast move paid off, as Ledecky was able to notch four gold medals at the world championships in June and set two world records at the FINA Swimming World Cup in October.
All news to me. :oops:
Now 25 years old, Ledecky won the award for the first time in 2017 after she earned five gold medals and a silver at that year’s world championships in Budapest.

She has won seven Olympic gold medals and 19 world championship gold medals, the most in history for a female swimmer. Only Michael Phelps, who won 26, has more world championship gold medals.
:-|| :-||
Focused on a fourth Olympics

“I'm definitely going through Paris, and maybe beyond as well. We'll see,” Ledecky said of her plans for a fourth Olympics after winning her third consecutive 800-meter freestyle gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics....
:thumbup:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So the Monster Truck show is coming to San Diego, bringing in 26 million pounds of dirt (which is getting ready to be 26 million pounds of mud) to create a track in the stadium. https://www.snapdragonstadium.com/event ... onster-jam

So where is this "Snapdragon Stadium" - is it some crumbling outdated place that takes anything that brings in a buck? Nope. It's the $315 million new Aztek stadium, just opening last August after two years of construction.

So who was the genius that said "hey, we've got a beautiful new stadium here with great natural Bermuda grass - whey don't we let the monster truck people come in with 26 effin' million pounds of dirt/mud"

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/ ... Snapdragon.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:17 pm
So the Monster Truck show is coming to San Diego, bringing in 26 million pounds of dirt (which is getting ready to be 26 million pounds of mud) to create a track in the stadium. https://www.snapdragonstadium.com/event ... onster-jam

So where is this "Snapdragon Stadium" - is it some crumbling outdated place that takes anything that brings in a buck? Nope. It's the $315 million new Aztek stadium, just opening last August after two years of construction.

So who was the genius that said "hey, we've got a beautiful new stadium here with great natural Bermuda grass - whey don't we let the monster truck people come in with 26 effin' million pounds of dirt/mud"

https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/ ... Snapdragon.
And here I thought you were talking about Jack Murphy Stadium.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:58 pm

And here I thought you were talking about Jack Murphy Stadium.

Nope "the Murph" is gone - but if it were still around, having monster trucks might be a good idea. In the new one? Not so much, IMNVHO.

O Really
Admiral

Not everybody has the same definition of "fun" - the Carlsbad Marathon got started today at 6:15a.m. with an air temp of about 50 degrees, sloppy rain and breezy. Much of the course goes along the ocean, so it's even windier. Half-Marathon at 7:45 and the fun-run 5K goes off around 8:00am on the only part of the course that's on a hill.
Pic from last year:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Look at all those healthy people.

O Really
Admiral

A Calgary King’s Bench judge has allowed a lawsuit against a southern Alberta school board and local curling club to proceed. The suit asks that teenagers learning curling in phys ed or playing in after-school leagues be required to wear helmets in case they fall on the ice and hit their heads.

Mr. Justice Colin Feasby didn’t rule that head protection be mandatory, but he refused to dismiss the lawsuit outright because, he claimed, curling is full of “inherent risks.”

Really!? How? From the high-speed hits on kickoff returns? The open-ice bodychecks? The run-ins along the boards?

Maybe curlers face the threat of chafed thighs from the rubbing of their stretchy pants, but concussions?

An in-turn, double-raise takeout can be a thrilling shot, but not a health risk.

Curlers would be wise to wear protective headgear if they did headers, like soccer players.

(Ouch! Getting down on the ice to redirect a 20-kilo stone with your head really would be an inherent risk. I’m not sure even a helmet would help.)

You need a batting helmet in baseball because there’s someone up on the mound hurling a ball a hundred miles an hour at your cranium. And a base-running helmet is a good idea because more than a quarter of concussions in baseball happen during head-first slides.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/curlin ... 2ca455f570

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:03 am
A Calgary King’s Bench judge has allowed a lawsuit against a southern Alberta school board and local curling club to proceed. The suit asks that teenagers learning curling in phys ed or playing in after-school leagues be required to wear helmets in case they fall on the ice and hit their heads.

Mr. Justice Colin Feasby didn’t rule that head protection be mandatory, but he refused to dismiss the lawsuit outright because, he claimed, curling is full of “inherent risks.”

Really!? How? From the high-speed hits on kickoff returns? The open-ice bodychecks? The run-ins along the boards?

Maybe curlers face the threat of chafed thighs from the rubbing of their stretchy pants, but concussions?

An in-turn, double-raise takeout can be a thrilling shot, but not a health risk.

Curlers would be wise to wear protective headgear if they did headers, like soccer players.

(Ouch! Getting down on the ice to redirect a 20-kilo stone with your head really would be an inherent risk. I’m not sure even a helmet would help.)

You need a batting helmet in baseball because there’s someone up on the mound hurling a ball a hundred miles an hour at your cranium. And a base-running helmet is a good idea because more than a quarter of concussions in baseball happen during head-first slides.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/curlin ... r-AA17TeLi
To be fair, a worldwide average of 3 curlers are killed each year by being struck in the head with an angry opponent's broom.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:25 pm

To be fair, a worldwide average of 3 curlers are killed each year by being struck in the head with an angry opponent's broom.
How much beer was involved?

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:52 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:25 pm

How much beer was involved?
Apparently a couple falls each season on a team require calling an ambulance. Falls can happen early in the season as new curlers take to the ice for the first time and as their more seasoned counterparts get used to being back on the ice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments ... ng_injury/
Four percent of the sport’s competitors saw injuries, according to a survey of injuries at the 2010 Winter Olympics. Based solely on injury rates, that made curling more dangerous than six other winter sports, including speed skating, freestyle moguls, luge, and biathlon.
There were only two injuries in the luge - of course, one of them was fatal so there's that.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:03 pm

Apparently a couple falls each season on a team require calling an ambulance. Falls can happen early in the season as new curlers take to the ice for the first time and as their more seasoned counterparts get used to being back on the ice.

Sure there was no beer?

O Really
Admiral

Some have said that if you can play it with a beer and cigarette, then it's not a sport, it's a game. But that distinction gets a little weak when you consider how many baseball players have swigged between innings and long ago, smoked. It also reminds me of a story Picabo Street told, which may or may not be enhanced, in response to a question of how she prepares for her run. She said, "I say here - hold my beer."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Full disclosure. The game was more fun with a kegger and Colombian Supremo.

O Really
Admiral

So the big time Iron Man triathloners are in town this weekend. https://www.ironman.com/im703-oceanside

Swim a mile and a half (that's in the ocean, at 60ish degrees), bike for 56 miles around the hills at Camp Pendleton, then run 13 street miles.

I effin' can't imagine.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:22 pm
So the big time Iron Man triathloners are in town this weekend. https://www.ironman.com/im703-oceanside

Swim a mile and a half (that's in the ocean, at 60ish degrees), bike for 56 miles around the hills at Camp Pendleton, then run 13 street miles.

I effin' can't imagine.
:crazy: I can drive 70.5 miles in an hour. :wave:

I'm happy that Gwyneth Paltrow won her ski accident trial. I only caught snippets of the reporting and can't say I knew she was in the right, but I felt and hoped that she was.
"I wish you well." - Classy, patronizing or both?
"you skiied into my fucking back." :D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm

I effin' can't imagine.

[/quote]

Sure, but the first mile and a half might give you a bit of trouble.

I'd say classy and patronizing both. I generally didn't believe his story from the start. Glad he lost.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:10 pm

Sure, but the first mile and a half might give you a bit of trouble.

I'd say classy and patronizing both. I generally didn't believe his story from the start. Glad he lost.
You got me :oops: . A little more than an hour counting the time for my rented speedboat to cover the first mile and a half.

Did her team of script writers come up with that? ;) IF she told the truth all along, good on Paltrow for defending her integrity rather than just settling with the $300K that she can easily afford. I wonder what the legal fees for her lawyers will cost him.
:---P
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:

I effin' can't imagine.
And that's a half triathlon. :shock:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:32 am
O Really wrote:

I effin' can't imagine.
And that's a half triathlon. :shock:
:o :-||

Leon Marchand sets 400 IM record, last individual mark of Michael Phelps

French youngster Leon Marchand set the world record in the men's 400-meter individual medley Sunday, breaking the last individual mark that Michael Phelps had held from his illustrious swimming career.

Marchand cruised to the gold medal in 4 minutes, 2.50 seconds at the world championships in Fukuoka in southwest Japan. That broke the long-standing mark of 4:03.84 set by Phelps at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
I would have guessed that this would take longer to achieve. Sorry, Mike.
... Phelps had held individual world records in five different races. He still is part of the world records set by the United States in the 4x100 and 4x200 freestyle relays.
Good.

Another icon bested:
... It was the second of three world records to fall on the opening day of the swimming events at the World Aquatics Championships. Olympic champion Ariarne Titmus of Australia set the record in a star-filled women's 400-meter freestyle field with a time of 3:55.38, finishing more than three seconds ahead of Katie Ledecky. Australia also set the record in the 4x100 women's freestyle relay in 3:27.96....

The kids are alright:
Australian skaters Chloe Covell, Arisa Trew win X Games gold

A pair of 13-year-old Australian skateboarding prodigies won their first gold medals at the X Games on Saturday, and a 10-year-old Canadian became the youngest medalist in the action sports event's history....
:-|| :-|| :-||
1312. ETTD.