Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:56 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:50 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:18 pm
Guy runs 100 miles on a treadmill on the weekend and sets a new world record. Yay.
But reporting it is what passes for "sports" on the desperate TV sports segment.
And people watched the event. People watched a guy running on a treadmill, and called it "live sports." :wtf:
I might have watched the last half hour if I knew and it was free. 7:17 per mile for 100-miles is pretty impressive, even on a treadmill. :clap:
Impressive, fershure. Interesting, maybe not so much.
:thumbup: I might have cranked the music and done email at the same time. 8.24 mph.

Lots of noise about fanless sports resuming. We'll see.
I think it's going to depend on the quality/style of TV production. I didn't watch the nascar race, but in the highlights, you really wouldn't have noticed there were no fans. And that's not a joke about nascar's dwindling attendance, it's just camera focus. In-car or following, wide or close, you wouldn't notice the fans unless the camera panned the stands. And when he won, Harvick did the traditional burn-out even though he had only a TV and crew audience. I think it might be more difficult for football, where crowd noise and participation makes more of a difference. It will be strange to see a "Lambeau Leap" into empty seats. But still, the camera can cut out the stands. Mentally, though, I don't know if it will work quickly without some adjustment. When you watch a live game on TV, you get a sense of participating in the event with the fans attending. TV only and you're sorta watching it by yourself and it looks canned. Difference in live audience and laugh track. But did you see McIlroy wave and acknowledge the "crowd" at the golf charity skins game?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/52704035

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: SPORTS!!!

Unread post by Vrede too »

Must take 150 people or so to put on a fanless football game. How can they possibly be kept safe?
O Really wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 am
... But did you see McIlroy wave and acknowledge the "crowd" at the golf charity skins game?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/52704035
So cool that he won that much for CV-19 charities just days after dissing PINO's pandemic response. Karma.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1105&p=119711#p119711
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NBCSN is playing SNL reruns. Sigh.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Spring Boston Marathon was postponed until Sept, is now cancelled. Repug wishful thinking just ain't going to get us back to normal anytime soon.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:20 am
O Really wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:03 am
... NFL thinks it's going to play in empty-ish stadiums, which should give the Chargers an experience advantage....
:lol: :---P

You're steadily becoming a San Diegan.
Turns out, I'm not the only one the think that.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -chargers/
NFL coronavirus: [former Charger] Broncos' Melvin Gordon says playing without fans would be normal for Chargers

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:06 am
Turns out, I'm not the only one the think that.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl- ... -chargers/
:D Thus always to traitors.

Can you imagine how crazy sports would be right now if they weren't on pandemic hiatus?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I love seeing these kinds of headlines on the right-wing Moonie Times.
Following athletes, NCAA takes aim at Confederate flag

Emboldened by the athletes it serves, the NCAA is taking another stand on a social issue.

The NCAA on Friday expanded its policy banning states with prominent Confederate symbols from hosting its sponsored events, one day after the Southeastern Conference made a similar declaration aimed at the Mississippi state flag.

The current NCAA ban, in place since 2001, applies to what the NCAA calls predetermined sites, such as for men's basketball tournament games.

Mississippi is the only state currently affected by the policy. The expanded ban - supported by all eight public universities in the state - means that even when sites of NCAA events are determined by performance, as they are in baseball, women's basketball and softball, Mississippi schools will not be permitted to host.

''We must do all we can to ensure that NCAA actions reflect our commitment to inclusion and support all our student-athlete. There can be no place within college sports where any student-athlete is demeaned or unwelcome,'' NCAA President Mark Emmert said....

Five years ago, the NCAA took a stand for LGBTQ rights, invoking a similar ban on predetermined sites for its events in states that passed laws aimed at limiting protections for people in those communities. North Carolina's so-called HB2 law led to NCAA men's basketball tournament games being played in Greenville, South Carolina, in 2017 instead of Greensboro, North Carolina.

Only two years earlier, South Carolina had come off the NCAA's banned list for predetermined sites when it removed the Confederate flag from the grounds of the state capitol.

... Mississippi has the last state flag that includes the battle emblem: a red field topped by a blue X with 13 white stars. White supremacists put the symbol on the flag in 1894 during the backlash to black political power that developed during Reconstruction.

The flag has not flown on the campuses of any of the state's eight public universities in years.

On Thursday, the SEC announced it would no longer hold conference-sponsored championship events in Mississippi until the state flag is changed. The move came with calls for change from administrators at both Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but lacked real consequences. None of the SEC's high-profile events are held in Mississippi.

But both schools consistently field highly ranked baseball teams and host NCAA tournament games. Mississippi State's women's basketball team has hosted early round NCAA games four times since 2010....

In a joint statement, the presidents and chancellors of Mississippi's public institutions vowed to work to change the state flag....
:---P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:17 pm
No monies here

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... flag-flown
See the post immediately before yours for a different article on the same topic.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Good on Them!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:30 am
Good on Them!

:lol: You beat me to it by 5 minutes! Great minds . . .

Here's an article:
Pro Softball Team Quits After General Manager Tweets Anthem Brag To Trump

Members of a pro softball team quit this week in Florida after the general manager tweeted a photo to President Donald Trump bragging that the team was standing for the national anthem.

“Everyone respecting the flag!” wrote team executive Connie May in the tweet to the president’s attention Monday night.

Members of the Scrap Yard Dawgs team, which includes 11 athletes chosen for the 2021 U.S. Olympics squad, saw the message after their game in Melbourne. Outraged that May used the moment to embrace Trump’s opposition to athletes kneeling during the anthem as a form of anti-racism protest, they quit.

“We were used as pawns in a political post, and that’s not OK,” two-time Olympic gold medalist pitcher Cat Osterman told The New York Times. Osterman later told the Houston Chronicle she doesn’t accept the general manager’s explanation that the tweet came “from a good place” to illustrate team unity.

Kiki Stokes, one of two Black players on the team, said she felt “betrayed” by the organization. “I am so hurt but Hate and Ignorance will never win,” she tweeted.
Kiki Stokes
@KStokes10
Jun 23

I am so hurt but Hate and Ignorance will never win.

... The team’s scheduled games in Florida were postponed while players try to reorganize without the Houston-based Scrap Yard Dawgs organization, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The team had intended to play in nearly two-dozen games in Florida as a comeback from the coronavirus pandemic.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:30 am
Good on Them!

More consequences (ignore the misleading headline):
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory ... t-71456351
... All 18 Scrap Yard players, including some members of the US national team, have walked out and say they won't play for the team. The USSSA Pride, another independent team, said its games will be postponed until further notice in support of the Dawgs' players. Triple Crown Sports and a group of the top youth fastpitch teams in Texas have agreed to pull a Fourth of July Tournament from Scrap Yard's facility.

And Dawgs coach Mike Steuerwald said the situation ''probably severed the relationship between ownership and the front office and myself.''

... On Wednesday, several players shared a tweet titled THIS IS US with a unified message of commitment to support the Black community and help educate people on ways to create change.

Steuerwald, who is an assistant coach at Syracuse, said he stands fully behind the players....

Triple Crown Sports says it will play its July 1-5 tournament elsewhere in the Houston area.

''We believe sensitivity and tone are important ingredients of respect,'' the organization said. ''Through sports, we can help unify the many voices that deserve support in their right to protest and call for needed change as millions of people seek a new path for justice.''

Stokes said the players from the Dawgs might play against the Pride on Saturday, but without the Scrap Yard name. Beyond that, they don't know what the future holds. Andrews said games are secondary right now.

''I think when you find matters that are bigger than your sport, you find matters that are bigger than what takes place in your life, you tend to find common ground whether you are a rival or not,'' she said. ''Allyship is really strong in softball right now. It's amazing to see everyone come together the way they did, with the immediacy that they had.''
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Now on ESPN

The American Cornhole League

I might need an adult beverage.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:16 pm
Now on ESPN

The American Cornhole League

I might need an adult beverage.
One?

:shock:
Some skaters just don't care about physics. At all.
I think I broke my arm, my leg and my collar bone just by watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFPQ57l0Dg

:shock: :shock:
Wtf why is he riding transformers?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:42 pm

:shock:
Some skaters just don't care about physics. At all.
I think I broke my arm, my leg and my collar bone just by watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFPQ57l0Dg

:shock: :shock:
Wtf why is he riding transformers?
Holy shit, never seen most of those tricks, never even imagined most of those tricks.

The dudes in the background of the first video were much less impressed than me. Although one guy did look up from his phone.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 pm
Holy shit, never seen most of those tricks, never even imagined most of those tricks.

The dudes in the background of the first video were much less impressed than me. Although one guy did look up from his phone.
Great minds:
Love how the people in the background are totally non-plussed. O_O Guess they're just like Isamu is at it again.
Right like... You can tell a couple of days ago he was using 3 skateboards... So this is nothing
The way the dudes in the back so nonchalant let’s me know that this not even close to the coldest shit he ever pulled off
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

as usual, Stephen Smith just says stuff. Charles makes a good point and, oh my god, uses facts.

Look for this to be taken as him saying white privilege doesn't exist by even more Stephen Smith types who just say stuff.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/charles-b ... 20%251%24s
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:02 pm
as usual, Stephen Smith just says stuff. Charles makes a good point and, oh my god, uses facts.

Look for this to be taken as him saying white privilege doesn't exist by even more Stephen Smith types who just say stuff.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/charles-b ... 20%251%24s
I'm not sure that it's any kind of "privilege" to be hired to coach the Brooklyn Nets. ;)
2019: 42–40, lost to the 76ers in the first round of the playoffs.
2020: 35-37, lost 0-4 to Toronto in the first round of the "Orlando Bubble" playoffs.
1312. ETTD.