War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: War on Women

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:40 pm
Impossible to enforce, but certainly could be intimidating with chilling effect.
Think Texas with their already scary sue your neighbor for getting an abortion law.

Big brother stuff.
Literally:
Summary: Chapter II
Winston opens the door fearfully, assuming that the Thought Police have arrived to arrest him for writing in the diary. However, it is only Mrs. Parsons, a neighbor in his apartment building, needing help with the plumbing while her husband is away. In Mrs. Parsons’s apartment, Winston is tormented by the fervent Parsons children, who, being Junior Spies, accuse him of thoughtcrime. The Junior Spies is an organization of children who monitor adults for disloyalty to the Party, and frequently succeed in catching them—Mrs. Parsons herself seems afraid of her zealous children. The children are very agitated because their mother won’t let them go to a public hanging of some of the Party’s political enemies in the park that evening. Back in his apartment, Winston remembers a dream in which a man’s voice—O’Brien’s, he thinks—said to him, “We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.” Winston writes in his diary that his thoughtcrime makes him a dead man, then he hides the book.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Abortion has been a right for my entire adult life. I feel rotten for my sisters and everyone in their lives that will be affected by this, including the unwanted babies. After all of them I feel rotten for myself that I lived long enough to see this happen.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Susan Collins Dismayed Supreme Court Justices Misled Her On Abortion
"I do not believe Brett Kavanaugh will overturn Roe v. Wade," the GOP senator, who claims to back abortion rights, said in 2018.

:crazy: Boof had lied about so much. As did millions of women's advocates, we discussed here how obvious it was that he was lying to you then. You're too gullible and stupid to be in the Senate. Resign now!
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 2:38 pm
Abortion has been a right for my entire adult life. I feel rotten for my sisters and everyone in their lives that will be affected by this, including the unwanted babies. After all of them I feel rotten for myself that I lived long enough to see this happen.
It's been a right for the majority of the country their entire lives.

Once a right is given, it's hard to take away.

Can anyone recall a longstanding right we've lost? Certainly not one of this import.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:06 pm
billy.pilgrim, :lol: .
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:24 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:56 am
Whack9 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:38 am
I wonder if morning after pills would be illegal in states that outlaw abortion. Technically they prevent the egg from being fertilized, so it's not technically an abortion. But I doubt they care.
The misogynist, pro-rapist assholes will push it as hard as they can. In some states the most extreme bills we can imagine will be enacted. :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency ... d_States_2
Has potential to be worse. The door is now open a crack to ban birth control pills.
In most cases that's what a ban on morning after pills already is. Most prevent fertilization, not implantation. Whole police forces will be created to interdict interstate transportation of both BC and abortion meds. Lovely.
You laugh. According to Wikipedia -

"The prohibition of extracting semen in vain (in Hebrew: הוצאת זרע לבטלה) is a rabbinic prohibition found in the midrash and Talmud. The prohibition forbids a male from intentional wasteful spilling of his semen.

Biblical sources
The halakhic prohibition on masturbation
Edit
Traditional rabbinic sources strictly prohibit male masturbation, and even activities which can lead to sexual arousal and thus ejaculation.

The Mishnah states that if a man frequently touches his penis with his hand (in order to check for ritually impure emission), his hand "ought to be cut off".[9]"

they'll cut off your frolicking hand

"The Babylonian Talmud prohibits "emitting seed in vain", a term generally (but not only) referring to masturbation:

R. Johanan stated: Whosoever emits semen in vain deserves death, for it is said in Scripture (Genesis 38:10), 'And the thing which he did was evil in the sight of the LORD; and He slew him also.'[9]

The same passage likens the act to murder and idolatry,[9] and also prohibits a man from intentionally arousing himself:

Rav says: One who intentionally causes himself to have an erection shall be ostracized.[10]"

even sexy thoughts will get you the public stink-eye

The Shulchan Aruch[11] and Kitzur Shulchan Aruch[12] state that wasting sperm is considered to be a sin greater than any sin in the Torah."

yep, killing off the seed is far worse than genocide and rape because moses said it was required, and murder and all that coveting aren't even in the same ballpark as the wholesale killing of the little guys
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:58 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:40 pm
Impossible to enforce, but certainly could be intimidating with chilling effect.
Think Texas with their already scary sue your neighbor for getting an abortion law.

Big brother stuff.
Literally:
Summary: Chapter II
Winston opens the door fearfully, assuming that the Thought Police have arrived to arrest him for writing in the diary. However, it is only Mrs. Parsons, a neighbor in his apartment building, needing help with the plumbing while her husband is away. In Mrs. Parsons’s apartment, Winston is tormented by the fervent Parsons children, who, being Junior Spies, accuse him of thoughtcrime. The Junior Spies is an organization of children who monitor adults for disloyalty to the Party, and frequently succeed in catching them—Mrs. Parsons herself seems afraid of her zealous children. The children are very agitated because their mother won’t let them go to a public hanging of some of the Party’s political enemies in the park that evening. Back in his apartment, Winston remembers a dream in which a man’s voice—O’Brien’s, he thinks—said to him, “We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.” Winston writes in his diary that his thoughtcrime makes him a dead man, then he hides the book.

I remember from elementary school that we were taught how the evil of the Soviets was exemplified in their ability to get people to inform on neighbors and family.

We need a Siberia and way more gulags.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:04 pm
Susan Collins Dismayed Supreme Court Justices Misled Her On Abortion
"I do not believe Brett Kavanaugh will overturn Roe v. Wade," the GOP senator, who claims to back abortion rights, said in 2018.

:crazy: Boof had lied about so much. As did millions of women's advocates, we discussed here how obvious it was that he was lying to you then. You're too gullible and stupid to be in the Senate. Resign now!

https://hartmannreport.com/p/federal-ab ... dium=email

"Federal Abortion Ban: Court Packing Should Be Back on the Table!
Abortion can be re-legalized if Democrats in Congress choose to set aside the filibuster and either pass a law codifying Roe or, with a more long-term strategy, add new members to the the Court"

"This is the first time in the lifetime of anybody living today that the Supreme Court has removed from our law a major “right” that directly or indirectly affects all Americans.

It’s an opinion that does not provide for exceptions for women or children who’ve been raped or are the victims of incest; for women whose age (young or older) puts them at high risk of death from childbirth; or even for a woman with comorbidities that usually rule out pregnancy.

It is, after all, 14 times more deadly for a woman to give birth than to get an abortion, and that’s for “normal” childbearing age women in good health.

By the time this decision is released we’ll have 24 states with so-called “trigger laws” in place that immediately ban abortion (and, in some cases, abortifacient drugs and/or morning-after pills) the minute the decision is announced.

America, within a few months, will almost certainly be a very different country from the one you lived in during the past 49 years unless Congress — while Democrats still control it — takes action.

That action can take one of two forms, both of which will require bypassing the filibuster (which Democrats today have the power to do; they just must find the will.)

Pass a Law

The first strategy is for Congress to pass a law that puts the essence of Roe and Casey into law."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm

You laugh. According to Wikipedia -

"The prohibition of extracting semen in vain (in Hebrew: הוצאת זרע לבטלה) is a rabbinic prohibition found in the midrash and Talmud. The prohibition forbids a male from intentional wasteful spilling of his semen.

Biblical sources
The halakhic prohibition on masturbation
Edit
Traditional rabbinic sources strictly prohibit male masturbation, and even activities which can lead to sexual arousal and thus ejaculation.

The Mishnah states that if a man frequently touches his penis with his hand (in order to check for ritually impure emission), his hand "ought to be cut off".[9]"

they'll cut off your frolicking hand

"The Babylonian Talmud prohibits "emitting seed in vain", a term generally (but not only) referring to masturbation:

R. Johanan stated: Whosoever emits semen in vain deserves death, for it is said in Scripture (Genesis 38:10), 'And the thing which he did was evil in the sight of the LORD; and He slew him also.'[9]

The same passage likens the act to murder and idolatry,[9] and also prohibits a man from intentionally arousing himself:

Rav says: One who intentionally causes himself to have an erection shall be ostracized.[10]"

even sexy thoughts will get you the public stink-eye

The Shulchan Aruch[11] and Kitzur Shulchan Aruch[12] state that wasting sperm is considered to be a sin greater than any sin in the Torah."

yep, killing off the seed is far worse than genocide and rape because moses said it was required, and murder and all that coveting aren't even in the same ballpark as the wholesale killing of the little guys
Yeah, but when was all that crap written? About 3,000 years ago? They didn't even have forking microscopes back then.

Nowadays most all humans know that most human males have a nearly inexhaustible supply of sperm. So all this sturm und drang over spilling seed needlessly is ancient misunderstanding.

OTOH hand, AFAIK, women have a limited supply of eggs. But, AFAIK, female self-gratification does not result in loss of any such eggs. They keep on producing an average of one egg a month from puberty up to about 40 years.

Is not to worry.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Wow.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You forgot the part about going blind.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:10 pm
... That action can take one of two forms, both of which will require bypassing the filibuster (which Democrats today have the power to do; they just must find the will.)

Pass a Law

The first strategy is for Congress to pass a law that puts the essence of Roe and Casey into law."
You think Manchin and Sinema will go along?
Edit: Never mind. Manchin said today that he will not break the filibuster over abortion.

PBS just played video of the 3 45SHOLE appointees - Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett - all lying in their confirmation hearings about preserving Roe. How xtian of them. Here's non-PBS video:

Abortion debate: What Trump’s SCOTUS nominees said about overturning Roe v. Wade during their confirmation hearings
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue May 03, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New ABC poll: 70% of Americans support abortion rights. Things will be nasty in GQP-led states for years.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:36 pm
New ABC poll: 70% of Americans support abortion rights. Things will be nasty in GQP-led states for years.
Let's hope so (Things will be nasty in GQP-led states).

I wonder, however, what the polling is in the "GQP-led states".

Any idea?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:09 pm
You forgot the part about going blind.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:10 pm
... That action can take one of two forms, both of which will require bypassing the filibuster (which Democrats today have the power to do; they just must find the will.)

Pass a Law

You think Manchin and Sinema will go along?
Edit: Never mind. Manchin said today that he will not break the filibuster over abortion.

PBS just played video of the 3 45SHOLE appointees - Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett - all lying in their confirmation hearings about preserving Roe. How xtian of them. Here's non-PBS video:

Abortion debate: What Trump’s SCOTUS nominees said about overturning Roe v. Wade during their confirmation hearings
Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, Barrett... exposed for the scum they really are.

However, I'm still holding out hope that they will not vote to scuttle the abortion law as we now know it. It's a thin hope, based on the idea that a draft opinion is not a final opinion.

We'll see.

If they do decide to do away with Roe v Wade, then all hell likely will break loose.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

I should have learned not to be shocked by anything the current crop of RepuQs does, but if this decision goes through, I will be shocked. Not that I believed Trump's nominees - clearly they were all personally anti-abortion. But I really thought that Supreme Court Justices - for any number of reasons - would stick to the law and not make up shit as they go along to suit their personal beliefs. That's been (mostly) the case up until now. The whole country is down the drain. No doubt. And abortion is just the first little break in the dam.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:29 am
Vrede too wrote:

I should have learned not to be shocked by anything the current crop of RepuQs does, but if this decision goes through, I will be shocked. Not that I believed Trump's nominees - clearly they were all personally anti-abortion. But I really thought that Supreme Court Justices - for any number of reasons - would stick to the law and not make up shit as they go along to suit their personal beliefs. That's been (mostly) the case up until now. The whole country is down the drain. No doubt. And abortion is just the first little break in the dam.
Robert's desire of protecting the integrity of the court while worthwhile had gone up in flames.

Alito's "opinion" while wrapped in a bunch of lovely constitutional legalese is lipstick on a partisan pig.

Senate confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominees are not even good theater, now they're going to be looked at as bad comedy.

Don't have a clue as to who leaked, as to left or right but I'm grateful. There's only small chance one of the wingnut judges could be turned around, but it's better than no chance.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:29 am
Vrede too wrote:

I am refusing to get all triggered about what well might be just a spitball exercise.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 11:44 am

Robert's desire of protecting the integrity of the court while worthwhile had gone up in flames.

Alito's "opinion" while wrapped in a bunch of lovely constitutional legalese is lipstick on a partisan pig.

Senate confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominees are not even good theater, now they're going to be looked at as bad comedy.

Don't have a clue as to who leaked, as to left or right but I'm grateful. There's only small chance one of the wingnut judges could be turned around, but it's better than no chance.
Robert's entire legacy is sitting on the third rail.
The bigger problem with this potential decision is that yes, they're right - "abortion" is not in the Constitution but based on the right to privacy, which also is not detailed. So if Roe, based on privacy, is overturned then the entire theory of privacy is at risk. Maybe not immediate risk, but shaky nonetheless.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:20 pm

The bigger problem with this potential decision is that yes, they're right - "abortion" is not in the Constitution but based on the right to privacy, which also is not detailed. So if Roe, based on privacy, is overturned then the entire theory of privacy is at risk. Maybe not immediate risk, but shaky nonetheless.
Except when the wingnut's "privacy" is somehow threatened.

Laws for thee and not for me......

O Really
Admiral

So - temporarily representing the Devil, I wonder why there are as many abortions as there are, anyway. Birth control is easily available and cheap. F'rinstance https://www.goodrx.com/go/grx-md-bc-3c? ... lsrc=aw.ds

No doctor's appointment, free with insurance, cheap even without. Rhetorical - why isn't every female who isn't actively trying to get pregnant on some sort of birth control? Why doesn't every parent take their daughter to get chipped when they're 14ish? You can argue all you like that "men are responsible too" but it's not the men who get pregnant.

Just askin'

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 12:20 pm
Necessary element of authoritarianism. :x
1312. ETTD.