War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Women

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:28 pm
Some anti abortion states want to make abortions sought out of state illegal, stating that the the fertilized egg (and all later stages) is a citizen of their state. Aborting them is therefore tantamount to a crime against a citizen of said state.

Scenario: An illegal immigrant couple has been living in the US for a few years and gets pregnant. 8 months into her pregnancy she's deported to her home country of Mexico where she eventually gives birth.

Is the child, born in Mexico to parents with Mexican citizenship, a "citizen" of the state he or she was conceived in since life begins at conception? How do they even track such a thing? Should the state now sue (or whatever legal avenue there is) the federal government and lobby for citizenship of that baby conceived in the United States?

Does the ferilized egg get a "pre-birth" certificate or something?
Good questions.

What state will an embryo be a resident of if it's conceived by a couple joining the Mile High Club during a cross country flight?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:37 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:28 pm
Some anti abortion states want to make abortions sought out of state illegal, stating that the the fertilized egg (and all later stages) is a citizen of their state. Aborting them is therefore tantamount to a crime against a citizen of said state.

Scenario: An illegal immigrant couple has been living in the US for a few years and gets pregnant. 8 months into her pregnancy she's deported to her home country of Mexico where she eventually gives birth.

Is the child, born in Mexico to parents with Mexican citizenship, a "citizen" of the state he or she was conceived in since life begins at conception? How do they even track such a thing? Should the state now sue (or whatever legal avenue there is) the federal government and lobby for citizenship of that baby conceived in the United States?

Does the ferilized egg get a "pre-birth" certificate or something?
Good questions.

What state will an embryo be a resident of if it's conceived by a couple joining the Mile High Club during a cross country flight?
Or an embryo conceived on a cruise ship in international waters?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 6:18 am
Or an embryo conceived on a cruise ship in international waters?
Illegal alien, deported at birth.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Article.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Sen. Susan Collins Crowned ‘Snowflake Of The Year’ Over Chalk Drawing Freakout
"Chalk is as lasting as Susan Collins' moral stance on anything," one critic hit back at the Maine Republican.

... Police in Bangor said no crime was committed with the drawing....

Sidewalk Chalk: the most permanent decision you can impose on a woman
:---P
Precedent is erasable. Chalk lasts forever
Seriously? What a sniveling, pathetic coward. It was a polite ask written in CHALK! Woman UP! Collins is a Damn Senator who violated her female constituents. She’s lucky it’s Dem women she enraged. If it were Republican men, it would’ve been an actual threat written in blood.
Susan Collins calls the police about sidewalk chalk instead of, you know, getting out the hose. Or, you know, doing literally anything to protect abortion rights.
More scathing at the link.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yay Montana. :roll:

GOP Senator Likens Women To Wildlife In 'Ridiculous' Anti-Abortion Argument
“Why do we have laws in place that protect the eggs of a sea turtle or the eggs of eagles?" Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) asked.

among other things, because sea turtles and eagles don't have constitutional rights as equal citizens of the United States but hey, apparently women don't either
I mean…cuz they’re endangered species? Unlike the numerous other animals’ eggs humans destroy on a daily basis (chicken, duck, quail, etc).

FWIW, I would be vehemently against forcing a sea turtle or eagle to lay eggs/procreate against their will just as I am a human woman.
.@SteveDaines just compared women to fucking sea turtles and eagles. It continues to blow my mind that so many men, most of whom don’t know how a basic period works, are in a position to legislate my right to have children.
As a conservation biologist I could have NEVER predicted that fucking sea turtles would be used to support taking away my rights.

Also, @stevedaines only voted for conservation interests in 40% of major votes in 2019-2020.

Man doesn’t know enough about eggs OR wildlife.

:---P More scathing at the link. No word on what Moscow Mitch thinks of turtle egg protections.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I know when we were young and hippy-ish, long hair, scruffy jeans, protesting whatever that the old folks thought we were sending the country straight to hell in a break-down of society handbasket. And I know that now I'm the "old folks" but damn, this degradation of women and womens rights, blatant white nationalism, abuse of those with the least, and trashing of long-held societal norms just isn't right

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:22 am
I know when we were young and hippy-ish, long hair, scruffy jeans, protesting whatever that the old folks thought we were sending the country straight to hell in a break-down of society handbasket. And I know that now I'm the "old folks" but damn, this degradation of women and womens rights, blatant white nationalism, abuse of those with the least, and trashing of long-held societal norms just isn't right

BTW, did I mention I'm not a big fan of the Rickett's family?

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

If I were a serial rapist I'd be tempted to go on a rape binge directed at these GQP "leaders'" female family members just so they can put their own policy to the test. I somehow think they don't actually believe in the policy they're espousing when it gets down to where the rubber meets the road for them personally. The only flaw in my plan is that many, if not all, of the female relatives are extremely unattractive and maybe possess inherent rape resistance.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:22 am

BTW, did I mention I'm not a big fan of the Rickett's family?

How horrifying.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

So if somebody had asked me on Friday what we were doing this weekend, no matter what I told them would have been wrong. On Saturday, we were cruising down the boulevard for a walk and a beach day watching surfers at Swami but going through Carlsbad, sidewalks on both sides were full of people protesting the demise of Roe v. Wade. Lady O thought it would be fun and arguably some kind of civic duty to join them. So we temporarily put aside our aversion to crowds and "marched" in protest for an hour or so. Somebody even gave Lady O a sign to carry - probably been or could have been used in other protests, as it just generically said "Shame!"

Then yesterday, we took a drive out in the country to the town of Fallbrook, self-named "Avocado Capital of the World" to visit a couple of farmers' markets and spend some time at Live Oak Park, which - unusual for here - actually has live oaks. It is also where early indigenous people made their home sheltered with trees, and a stream going through the area. Their diet was largely based on acorns, crushed on rocks. There are still numerous places on some rocks worn into a smooth hole from their grinding. But - when we got to the park it had several group events going. We walked toward one large group with a lot of laughing, dancing, hispanic band, and some very excellent smelling food. As we walked by, Lady O asked one of the people what was the event - a wedding reception. They asked if we wanted to join the party - we did, we ate, congratulated the couple, listened to the music and chatted with the guests, again putting aside our crowd aversion, but still keeping some distance. Good time - totally unexpected.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:03 am
So if somebody had asked me on Friday what we were doing this weekend, no matter what I told them would have been wrong....
Demo and wedding crashers, cool!

U.S. Soccer, USWNT, USMNT agree to historic equal pay deals

:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

This MAY put some pressure on other sports, but few have the history of the women being more successful than the men for decades that soccer does.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

There may be a potential upside to this anti-abortion crap. There's some serious consideration going on as to what if any jurisdiction states have over designated Indian lands with regard to health services. Indians are the only Americans with guaranteed health services, and that's through the feds, not the states, but there seems to be no avenue for any state control. So there's also the Hyde Amendment that keeps federal funds from being spent on abortions. It does appear that Indians in at least some states, including Oklahoma, could open abortion clinics. They couldn't just hire some medical people and open to all the public, but as long as one of the parties involved (provider or patient) was something like 1/1000 part of the tribe the state would be shut out. How many people in Oklahoma would you think DON'T have at least that much Indian DNA? So the women of the state get reasonable access, Indians get another source of revenue, and the state gets to pound sand.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:56 am
There may be a potential upside to this anti-abortion crap. There's some serious consideration going on as to what if any jurisdiction states have over designated Indian lands with regard to health services. Indians are the only Americans with guaranteed health services, and that's through the feds, not the states, but there seems to be no avenue for any state control. So there's also the Hyde Amendment that keeps federal funds from being spent on abortions. It does appear that Indians in at least some states, including Oklahoma, could open abortion clinics. They couldn't just hire some medical people and open to all the public, but as long as one of the parties involved (provider or patient) was something like 1/1000 part of the tribe the state would be shut out. How many people in Oklahoma would you think DON'T have at least that much Indian DNA? So the women of the state get reasonable access, Indians get another source of revenue, and the state gets to pound sand.
I was just reading about that.

After Roe, can states stop abortions on Native American lands?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - I think that's the one I read, but I had lost it.
Looks like it might work, particularly in Oklahoma where the Indians have already taken the cowboys to court and won over land ownership and jurisdiction.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/09/88956204 ... ndian-land

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Not sure where I heard the term slavery - maybe here.
Isn't this the same as making the woman subservient to the imagined wishes of the fetus?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:07 pm
Isn't this the same as making the woman subservient to the imagined wishes of the fetus?
Creative line of thought, but I don't think it's that complex. Despite that there are many anti-abortion women, truth is is that it's little limp-dicked males taking the opportunity to exert their dominance over women who otherwise terrify them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:07 pm
Doesn't cancer have a "right to life"?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I had no idea there was any remaining controversy over contraception, although I might have been aware that the official position of the Vatican is to pop out and raise as many Catholics as possible - ignored en masse by US Catholics everywhere. I do live (happily) in a bubble.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ben's DIY Home Abortions

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/10995429 ... court-leak

"It didn't really bother anybody that a typical instructional manual could include material like this," she said. "It just wasn't something to be remarked upon. It was just a part of everyday life."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”