War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: War on Women

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:02 pm
Ben's DIY Home Abortions

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/18/10995429 ... court-leak

"It didn't really bother anybody that a typical instructional manual could include material like this," she said. "It just wasn't something to be remarked upon. It was just a part of everyday life."

Damn, I thought the magic founders practicing home abortions would cause a few comments.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.pnj.com/story/news/2022/05/ ... 871271002/

This looks more like the pro-choice guys really fucked up.
Who gives drugs before surgery and sends the patient to the car to wait and then tells her partner not to take the bleeding patient to a local hospital, instead sending them to Mobile?

Maybe it's all a set-up, but it sure reads like it's true.

Whoever is at fault, the fact is that now there are no abortion clinics between New Orleans and Tallahassee.

One of the cases (not reported to the state within the required 10 days after):
In March, another woman started bleeding following an abortion and the clinic's staff determined the woman needed to go to the hospital. When EMS personnel arrived to transfer her to a local hospital, they documented "pools of blood on the floor," the order said.

The woman was cool to the touch, did not have a pulse detectable in her wrist and had extremely low blood pressure.

At the hospital, she had emergency surgery where a doctor found a "big hole on the left wall of the uterus and another on the right side" along with lacerations to her cervix, according to the emergency order. After an emergency surgery failed to try to save her uterus, the woman had to undergo a complete hysterectomy and received 10 pints of blood to stabilize her."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 6:32 pm
Damn, I thought the magic founders practicing home abortions would cause a few comments.
:D I guess with the Buybull supporting abortion it's not all that shocking that Ben was a wise and compassionate feminist. Find us an anti-choice founder if you want to stir things up. ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Interesting, the investigation into the leaking of a prospective SCOTUS decision deeming women to be too incompetent to make their own healthcare decisions is being led by the Marshal of the U.S. Supreme Court, a former Army colonel and military lawyer . . . a presumably competent woman.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/search-supre ... 29252.html
Make up your minds, SCOTUS.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Investigation underway after vandals target a pregnancy services clinic

A clinic offering pregnancy services in the Asheville area was vandalized overnight.

The suspects painted the Mountain Area Pregnancy Services building along Old Haywood Road with red spray paint and knocked out windows and door glass around the building....

They also found the wording, “No forced birth” on the side. Red paint was sprayed throughout, and windows were broken, which occurred sometime overnight Monday....
Christian pregnancy services clinic. Very strange that the article never mentions it.

No, I was not involved, honest, and I think it's probably counterproductive. However, I'm not upset by it. It's women that are already being forced to suffer from Christian terrorism. Quibbles: If I was involved there would be more planning, there would be no physical threat and the end result would not be so sloppy.
To: news@wlos.com
Subject: Oddity

Re: Investigation underway after vandals target a pregnancy services clinic
https://wlos.com/news/local/investigati ... ces-clinic

Hi,

It's very strange that your online article never mentions that the vandalized pregnancy services clinic is Christian, especially since you said so multiple times on air. This is certainly at the heart of the motive for the attack, and is a detail that would interest Christians and non-Christians, pro and anti-choice readers alike. What's up with that?

Peace,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Pretty good, hominy, but i would have put in something about how if the place had been Jewish, Muslim, Druid, or Satanic they likely would have noted it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:45 pm
Pretty good, hominy, but i would have put in something about how if the place had been Jewish, Muslim, Druid, or Satanic they likely would have noted it.
Could be, "normal" people are Christian, so why bother saying it? Since they mentioned 'Christian' on air I'm GUESSING that it's just an idiotic copywriter, but something nefarious is always possible.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: is there a War on men?

I didn't follow the Depp trial, but I did watch Democratic congress people demand Senator Franken leave the Senate based solely on fabricated lies from a right-wing liar on Fox tv and I couldn't help but see the Depp and Heard headlines and pictures.
I've known women like her. Vindictive is one of their better traits.
With the exception of trump, boof and a few special republicans, Me-too has become, for many, the blind acceptance of any accusation made by a woman.

Maye the pendulum needs to swing to this absurd level before there can be a reasonable solution, but this crazy woman's claim, "The verdict's message to victims of domestic violence is...be afraid to stand up and speak out." is 100% me, me, me, look at me, feel sorry for me, spoiled brat talk.

In other words, men shouldn't be allowed their day in court, they should just disappear, as arguably one of our best voices in the Senate did.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've investigated and managed a lot of sexual harassment matters, on defence side, and I used to believe certain principles applied: (1) women (and men) lie; (2) even if s/he thinks s/he's telling the truth, that truth will not be the same as the other side; (3) women do put up with a lot of bad behaviour, and most unwanted encounters/comments don't get reported; (4) some women will threaten to "sue" over an issue, but don't really do anything about it; (5) if a woman actually does ever file a formal complaint to her employer or the EEOC, there's usually some degree of truth to it, even though that truth may be exaggerated or distorted.

I'm not so sure all those apply anymore. Seems in the age of "me too" women are willing to drag up instances from decades ago for no purpose other than to trash some guy. I think it's particularly egregious for a woman who has entered into a settlement, approved by her lawyer, to then come back for another bite of the apple and try to make even the settlement itself a reason for whining.

And of course, those people make it more difficult for the ones who were/are real victims harmed by sexual harassment/assault.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:49 am
... And of course, those people make it more difficult for the ones who were/are real victims harmed by sexual harassment/assault.
I don't have an opinion on the jury's decision. From the little coverage I couldn't avoid it sounds like both parties were pretty ugly. However, I am annoyed that the rightwing, even including murderer Kyle Rittenhouse, are doing a victory dance over the verdict.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Women have had it tough for a long time - forever, but I agree that you can't take an instance from a time, say when the director's sofa bed was accepted and even used by women, to attack these long dead film icons.

And it doesn't matter if they're talking about obamaphones or al Franken, fox sells lies.
I'm still pissed at Kirsten Gillibrand

And all from a right-wing set-up.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ign-282175

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ign-282175

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:57 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:49 am
... And of course, those people make it more difficult for the ones who were/are real victims harmed by sexual harassment/assault.
I don't have an opinion on the jury's decision. From the little coverage I couldn't avoid it sounds like both parties were pretty ugly. However, I am annoyed that the rightwing, even including murderer Kyle Rittenhouse, are doing a victory dance over the verdict.
But Kyle is an idiot. You can't blame Depp for wingnut reaction. I didn't follow it either, but there was too much evidence that she set him up.

I was mystified during my nearly 3 year divorce when in the middle of somewhat pleasant phone calls my wife would start balling, acting defensive over something we weren't talking about and hang up on me.

It was years later that I found that she did this when my daughter walked into the room. She still thinks that I abused her mother.

People lie. Me too assumes that all women tell the truth

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

That sucks about your phone calls.
Same article. Is there a different one that you meant to link for us?

I don't blame Depp for the right-wing celebrations. I also don't have reason to blame him for the massive anti-Heard social media and street demos campaign. I'm sure that some people were informed and sincere. However, it does make me uneasy that it felt like some of it was more of an organized anti-woman effort than it was focused on the particular issues at hand.

I hope that our efforts to confront actual domestic abuse, whoever the abuser is, are not negatively impacted.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

On the Depp matter in particular, I think the right-wingers (and idiot Kyle in particular) don't have a clue what the issues were - they just think "men win = good." The actual issue in the suit was defamation, and whether Heard said untrue things about Depp that caused harm to him. Turns out the jury believed that she did. Maybe some of her story was probably true - some probably was not. Maybe she had some reason for implying Depp had abused her other than to harm him, but the harm seemed to be the primary reason. Both of them seem a bit crazy and a pox on both their houses. The issues should have died with their divorce.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Perhaps somewhat comparable is the ongoing controversy surrounding Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. MAYBE she or they did some things that people could have legit gripes over. However, there was nothing scandalous or abusive, nothing to justify the level of sustained vitriol being leveled at her. It became obvious that this could only be driven by racism, even if few were as overt about it as these guys:
Racist Podcast Hosts Called for Prince Harry’s 3-Year-Old to Be ‘Put Down’

Two white-supremacist podcasters said Prince Harry should be “judicially killed for treason” for marrying Meghan Markle and called their son, 3-year-old Archie, “an abomination that should be put down,” a British court has heard.

The court proceedings, reported by British newspaper the Sun, show the shocking and extreme level of racist invective targeted at the couple.

Prince Harry said earlier this year it was “not safe” for him or his family to visit the U.K. without dedicated police protection, and is suing the British government over modifications to his and his family’s security rules since they quit as working royal family members.

Meghan, 41, has previously called her experience of being abused online “almost unsurvivable,” and in 2020 she told a podcast entitled Teenager Therapy: “I’m told that in 2019, I was the most trolled person in the entire world, male or female.” ...
Again, I'm not blaming Depp for anything other than his personal contribution to the marital mess. The comparison I'm making is to the many assholes that are using him for prejudiced ends.

Aside: Markle is American, so it makes sense that they fled here. Still, it's ironic that anyone would come to the US to get away from racism.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Those white-supremist scum who think Archie is an abomination don't have a clue as to British history or the wide variety of characters who have been a part of the royal family. And then of course there's Queen Charlotte.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:17 pm
Those white-supremist scum who think Archie is an abomination don't have a clue as to British history or the wide variety of characters who have been a part of the royal family. And then of course there's Queen Charlotte.
Who is Archie?

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Who is Archie?
Harry and Meghan's kid

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
What about Queen Charlotte, and is William and Kate's 2nd child an homage to her?

Edit: Ah, never mind on the 2nd question.
O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:23 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:22 pm
Who is Archie?
Harry and Meghan's kid
Harry and Meghan's oldest kid, “an abomination that should be put down." I suspect that the pod quote predates Lilibet's birth. They probably feel the same about her.

You've been hoping that we'd finally get around to discussing English royalty, haven't you? ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz was Queen of Great Britain and of Ireland as the wife of King George III from their marriage on 8 September 1761 until the union of the two kingdoms on 1 January 1801, after which she was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland until her death in 1818"

Probably the name Charlotte and Mecklenburg would be familiar to Carolinians.

Anyway, she was reputed to be of blackish ancestry. There are written descriptions of her that don't match the painted portraits and it's widely believed that the painters toned down her Africanish features to look more caucasian.