War on Women

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: War on Women

Unread post by O Really »

And to think that in three clicks she could have saved herself a lot of grief and looked a lot smarter.

"The national rape-related pregnancy rate is 5.0% per rape among victims of reproductive age (aged 12 to 45); among adult women an estimated 32,101 pregnancies result from rape each year."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Of course you are.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:15 pm
Of course you are.
Did I ever mention that I freelance consult for Paxton?
viewtopic.php?p=170724#p170724
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 am
The mouse strikes back

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... -rcna35265

From jp Morgan to Disney and Facebook, companies are pledging abortion transportation to all employees who have to work in "shit-hole" states.
I suppose the misogynists will try to ban this....
Hey, a paycheck is a paycheck. :wave:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:32 pm
On the Depp matter in particular, I think the right-wingers (and idiot Kyle in particular) don't have a clue what the issues were - they just think "men win = good." The actual issue in the suit was defamation, and whether Heard said untrue things about Depp that caused harm to him. Turns out the jury believed that she did. Maybe some of her story was probably true - some probably was not. Maybe she had some reason for implying Depp had abused her other than to harm him, but the harm seemed to be the primary reason. Both of them seem a bit crazy and a pox on both their houses. The issues should have died with their divorce.
It ain't dead now.

Johnny Depp Verdict Thrown Into Chaos As Wrong Juror Seated In Virginia Trial, Amber Heard Says; Wants New Trial

:roll: Opps. Settlement for a much reduced amount in the offing, or do we have to suffer through a new trial?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This is pretty good; TX cop gives woman a ticket for driving in an HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane. She's over 30 weeks pregnant and tells the cop that recent TX law considers her unborn child to be a person with rights. The cop did not agree and gave her a ticket. He did say that "if you fight it in court, it will probably be dismissed." I would have said "damn, you're right. Have a good one."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-woman- ... 15249.html

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 pm

:roll: Opps. Settlement for a much reduced amount in the offing, or do we have to suffer through a new trial?
Assuming you paid attention to the first one. :snooty:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:36 am
This is pretty good; TX cop gives woman a ticket for driving in an HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lane. She's over 30 weeks pregnant and tells the cop that recent TX law considers her unborn child to be a person with rights. The cop did not agree and gave her a ticket. He did say that "if you fight it in court, it will probably be dismissed." I would have said "damn, you're right. Have a good one."
:P

He could've cited her for no carseat.

O Really
Admiral

Ridiculous laws have ridiculous consequences. You can never stop the cascading of looney logic and all the laws that have to be changed to be able not to conflict. And since everybody is prone to nitpicking and litigation, the chaos never ends.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
:lol: :-||
The officer told Bottone that to drive in the HOV lane, she needed her additional passenger to be outside her body.
I guarantee that's not specified in the law.
The officer ultimately gave Bottone a $275 ticket, telling her that if she fought the citation in court, it would probably be dropped.
That's because he's already made a notation not to show up. Last thing he or his bosses need is "Dallas county deputy _______ vs pregnant mom" to be a new headline.

Comments:
Drunk driving pregnant people should get to divide their blood/alcohol content by two, it's only fair.
:lol:
If a fetus has the right to a fair trial, does the mother have to sit through the proceedings even though she didn't commit the crime that the fetus is accused of?
so, you can claim an unborn as a dependent in your tax filings
Totally agree. It is or it isn't. That also should matter with child support for an unmarried couple, as well as counting for another child for welfare at the day of conception.
The GOP judge will likely adopt a double standard as law in Texas.
I wasn't voting twice, I was voting once for me and once for my unborn citizen.
Mother's should not be permitted to deny their fetus their Second Amendment rights, this is an outrage.
Ooh, that one conjures images.
Will pregnant women also need to buy a child's ticket at the movies? What about a lap child on a flight, while there is no cost for a seat, should the fetus ...I mean person... be on the passenger manifest?

Texan male: "They's only a child when's we talkin' 'bout 'bortion!"
Why hasn't the fetus been assigned a social security card ? lazy taker needs to start paying taxes.
Can a court legally emancipate a fetus?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:28 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:20 pm
It ain't dead now.

Johnny Depp Verdict Thrown Into Chaos As Wrong Juror Seated In Virginia Trial, Amber Heard Says; Wants New Trial

Assuming you paid attention to the first one. :snooty:
Are you getting snooty with me?

Intentionally, no, but it was impossible to avoid the headlines and TV news coverage, and we even discussed it a little bit here. I think the whole thing is sad and icky.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
I got schooled on another forum that Texas doesn't define the embryo as a person. In my non-expert review of the Texas Heartbeat Act it appears that the poster is correct. My reply:
Okay, thanks. The fetus is not a Texas person, the woman may have to pay the HOV ticket, and Texas is merely a freedom-detesting misogynist state that wants the filthy hands of random citizens shoved into women's wombs.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:57 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
I got schooled on another forum that Texas doesn't define the embryo as a person. In my non-expert review of the Texas Heartbeat Act it appears that the poster is correct. My reply:
Okay, thanks. The fetus is not a Texas person, the woman may have to pay the HOV ticket, and Texas is merely a freedom-detesting misogynist state that wants the filthy hands of random citizens shoved into women's wombs.
Not bad but I would have put in a comment about the dirty hands in the woman's purse and estimated how many diapers the ticket would have paid for and how it's a tragedy that she will likely now have shit on her hands for lack of diapers after having to pay over two hundred bucks for wingnut dumbfuckery.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:37 pm
Not bad but I would have put in a comment about the dirty hands in the woman's purse and estimated how many diapers the ticket would have paid for and how it's a tragedy that she will likely now have shit on her hands for lack of diapers after having to pay over two hundred bucks for wingnut dumbfuckery.
I think she had a clever retort and appreciate the PR it got, but in general I support HOV enforcement. Now, whether HOV lanes efficiently serve their intended purpose is a discussion that I have no knowledge about,
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 pm

I think she had a clever retort and appreciate the PR it got, but in general I support HOV enforcement. Now, whether HOV lanes efficiently serve their intended purpose is a discussion that I have no knowledge about,
You only have to have a driver and one passenger, so it's hardly really "high occupancy". I think maybe it was originally to encourage car-pooling and required more people, but maybe I misremember. From a SoCal freeway perspective, I think it works only because the HOV lanes are also mostly toll lanes. Otherwise, it would be a free-for-all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:16 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 pm
You only have to have a driver and one passenger, so it's hardly really "high occupancy". I think maybe it was originally to encourage car-pooling and required more people, but maybe I misremember. From a SoCal freeway perspective, I think it works only because the HOV lanes are also mostly toll lanes. Otherwise, it would be a free-for-all.
I think you're correct that it used to be more than +1. The only time I've ever traveled in an HOV lane was when we were already going to be +1 or more, not because we intentionally car-pooled. I'm not necessarily opposed to a premium lane. I would listen to the debate over policy considerations. We certainly don't pay the full costs of our auto travel.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I plan to invite some homeless people to ride in my Z28. Only three at most will fit. We'll blast down the HOA lane without a care. Half of them will be pregnant or faking it to no reasonable goal. One of us will have a drivers license.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:57 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
:D

Opps, maybe she has a case after all. While the Texas Heartbeat Act doesn't call a fetus a person, Texas penal code does.
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs/PE/htm/PE.1.htm
Sec. 1.07. DEFINITIONS. (a) In this code:

(26) "Individual" means a human being who is alive, including an unborn child at every stage of gestation from fertilization until birth.

(38) "Person" means an individual or a corporation, association, limited liability company, or other entity or organization governed by the Business Organizations Code.
North Texas HOV Lanes

Who can use the HOV lane?

A vehicle occupied by two or more people ...
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Looks like the pregnant driver is right and the traffic cop is wrong. Just goes to show that a 2 year BLET certificate along with X number of years driving around in a police car does not impart any special knowledge of the law. How about that?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:46 am
Looks like the pregnant driver is right and the traffic cop is wrong. Just goes to show that a 2 year BLET certificate along with X number of years driving around in a police car does not impart any special knowledge of the law. How about that?
Well, it will be up to a traffic court judge, and they're usually not the elite of their profession. S/he may take legislative intent into account and they're often loathe to chart new legal territory. Think of all the potential implications, some are jokingly listed above. One might be the end of HOV lanes unless HOV law is rewritten. Any woman could claim pregnancy and the cops and courts would hardly want to set up a verification regime. I wouldn't bet on the driver unless she gets an impish pro-choice judge.

Found:
I had a delicious breakfast of bacon, toast and pre-born chicken.
:o :lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:57 am
... the end of HOV lanes unless HOV law is rewritten. Any woman could claim pregnancy and the cops and courts would hardly want to set up a verification regime....
:lol: I meant rewritten to exclude fetal "passengers". Silly me, this is Texas.
Texas GOP Representative Vows to Introduce Bill to Clarify Fetuses are People After Pregnant Woman Goes Viral for Getting Ticketed in HOV Lane

... Currently, the Texas Penal Code recognizes an unborn child as a person, but the text of the Texas Transportation Code does not. That might soon change, if Texas State Rep. Brian Harrison, a Republican who represents a suburban district south of Dallas, gets his way....

... “Texas is a pro-life state, and I want to make sure unborn babies are protected as persons throughout Texas law.” ...

:wtf: :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.