Olympics

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Olympics

Unread post by Vrede too »

In the future there will be 'spoiler settings' for all media where we can just tell Alexa or whatever what we don't want to hear/see about until a set time. In the distant future these can be applied to friends and acquaintances, or the chips in our heads will just generate targeted white noise/light to prevent spoiler reception.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wow.
U.S. breaks world record ... and doesn't win gold

A Katie Ledecky-led U.S. relay broke the world record in the 4x200-meter freestyle on Thursday ... and lost.

The race was expected to be a showdown between the favored Australians and the Americans, and to some degree it played out that way. Both bested the world record (7:41.50) set by Australia in 2019. But so did China, bettering the two powerhouses in a somewhat stunning upset.
Wow. Wow. Wow.

China came in at 7:40.33, just head of the Americans (7:40.73) and Australians (7:41.29).

The Chinese led at the jump, but the Aussies took the lead on the second leg. The Americans, meanwhile, languished in a battle for third with Canada for much of the race. By the third leg, China and Australia were locked in what looked like a two-team battle for gold. By the time Ledecky launched herself off the blocks on the anchor leg, the Americans were 1.94 back.

But Ledecky is a legend for a reason, even if she'd been dethroned in the 200 by Australia's Ariarne Titmus. Ledecky caught Australia's Leah Neale at the 100 mark, then set her sites on China's Binjie Li. Ledecky nearly caught her, clocking a blistering final leg of 1:53.76, .61 faster than anyone in the field and nearly two seconds faster than she swam in the individual 200m free final where she lost to Titmus.
Wow.
But ultimately she ran out of room.

For the American foursome of Ledecky, Allison Schmitt, Paige Madden and Katie McLaughlin it was a world-record effort that ended in a silver medal.
Wow and :-|| x 12.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am
We may never know, but it’s possible that it was easier for Biles to withdraw with Carey next in line. Otherwise, she might have felt even more guilt for exactly the reason you cite.

My GUESS is that Biles will pick one or more event that she feels most comfortable in and will compete in it/them so that she doesn't go home empty handed.
It's this weekend or never, possibly for the rest of her life.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Who said the US women's soccer team lost to Sweden in the Olympics because of 'wokeism'?
Spoiler:
Who is the most woke player on the woke US women's soccer team?
Spoiler:
Megan Rapinoe
Who kicked the game winner penalty kick vs Netherlands?
Spoiler:
Megan Rapinoe
Who is in the semis?
Spoiler:
The woke US women's soccer team.
Who is an idiot and a failure, again?
Spoiler:
45SHOLE
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:45 pm
Who said the US women's soccer team lost to Sweden in the Olympics because of 'wokeism'?
Spoiler:
Who is the most woke player on the woke US women's soccer team?
Spoiler:
Megan Rapinoe
Who kicked the game winner penalty kick vs Netherlands?
Spoiler:
Megan Rapinoe
Who is in the semis?
Spoiler:
The woke US women's soccer team.
Who is an idiot and a failure, again?
Spoiler:
45SHOLE
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Swimmers are the most cordial competitors.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:47 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:28 am
We may never know, but it’s possible that it was easier for Biles to withdraw with Carey next in line. Otherwise, she might have felt even more guilt for exactly the reason you cite.

My GUESS is that Biles will pick one or more event that she feels most comfortable in and will compete in it/them so that she doesn't go home empty handed.
It's this weekend or never, possibly for the rest of her life.
Withdrew from the individual uneven bars and vault.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

My GUESS...

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:37 pm
My GUESS...

Quite possibly.

Wonder if she'll come back in 2024 now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:49 pm
Those are the most dangerous, I think. Does that bode well for the balance beam and floor exercise?
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:13 pm
... Wonder if she'll come back in 2024 now.
I'd guess no way, but I do wonder about the 2022 world championship.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Katie Ledecky won another gold medal and then laughed in the face of a reporter who asked if she was retiring

Stop me if you've heard this one before: Katie Ledecky has won gold.

This time, the American superstar swimmer took gold in the women's 800-meter freestyle, an event she has dominated for almost a decade. It was her third straight gold medal at the event, having first won at London 2012.

If you look at the list of the fastest times ever recorded in the race, Ledecky now owns the top 24.
:wtf:
Between her wins in London and Tokyo, Ledecky had also taken gold in the women's 800m freestyle at every world championship....
:clap:

The headline makes it sound like she was rude. Nope.

Ledecky is not going anywhere, and with the way she's dominated the 800m, why would she?

This was the last race we'll see Ledecky contest this year in Tokyo, but as she said loud and clear, she'll be ready for more at Paris 2024.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:37 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:51 am
It may be just my old-guy memories, but it seems like back in the day watching the Olympics was easy and entertaining. NBC or whatever network would have marathon sessions, going some during the day, then starting back from around 8-11 each evening. As I recall, some was live, some re-play, and you didn't get every event, but they covered at least highlights of most of even lesser sports in addition to the more popular ones.

I looked for "how to watch Olympics" and found several articles and schedules with programming in a bunch of different places, NBC, USA, NBCSports, Peacock, yada. But it seems all the choices make it less likely I'll actually get to see what I want. F'rinstance:

"Schedule
Your streaming hub for 5000+ hours of LIVE Olympic coverage!
Browse below to watch what's currently live, or scroll to the bottom for upcoming schedules by TV network and sport."

https://www.nbcolympics.com/schedule
Idk, but I THINK it's better now. Broadcast NBC is still pretty much what we always watched - their selection of the "best", but no longer featuring Bob Costas. The rest of the stations give us more. Maybe not, though. Let us know.
Another difference - These days we can go to YT, NBC, the IOC and other sites to watch anything that we missed "live". I've already done it several times.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I like Mike Tirico just fine, wish he'd replace Al Michaels on Sunday Night Football, he's tired.

I could care less about Olympic golf, same guys different day. Mostly the same with tennis.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:43 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:49 pm
Those are the most dangerous, I think. Does that bode well for the balance beam and floor exercise?
Maybe I jinxed her.
Simone Biles out of floor exercise event final

Simone Biles withdrew from Monday’s individual event finals in floor, the latest in an Olympics where the overwhelming favorite in gymnastics has been unable to perform. Biles says she is suffering from what gymnasts call “the twisties” — which has left her confused as to where she is while in the air. The condition is dangerous for the athlete.

BIles is continuing to train and seek professional mental health help in the hope she could still compete in Tuesday’s beam final, the last event of a meet she was expected to dominate.

She previously withdrew from the all-around competition, plus event finals in bars and vault. She was the first American woman to qualify in all four disciplines.

She will make a decision on balance beam "later this week," according to USA Gymnastics.

There will be no American substitute for Biles on floor as no other gymnast qualified high enough to take her spot.

Jade Carey will compete, but she previously qualified third overall and was always scheduled for the event final, which will take place at 4:57 a.m. ET.

Carey was able to step in for the all-around competition and MyKayla Skinner will take Biles' spot in Sunday's vault finals because each qualified high enough. That isn’t the case on floor.

If healthy, Biles would have been a favorite to win gold on floor, one of her strongest events. She qualified second with a score of 14.133, behind Italy’s Vanessa Ferrari. The score was low by Biles' standards and one of the early signs that things were not right for her here at these Olympics. She has routinely defeated Ferrari on the floor through the years.

Carey qualified third with a 14.100, not far off Ferrari’s 14.166.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:15 pm
I like Mike Tirico just fine, wish he'd replace Al Michaels on Sunday Night Football, he's tired.

I could care less about Olympic golf, same guys different day. Mostly the same with tennis.
Agreed. The Golf channel is running Olympic golf 24/7. The Tennis channel must be too cheap, though.

Not sure if I’ve ever seen women do it. I’m kind of turned on.

I think this is funny. Some people have sticks up their asses.

Israeli baseball team sparks outrage for posting TikTok video jumping on 'anti-sex beds' in Tokyo

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:28 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:15 pm

Agreed. The Golf channel is running Olympic golf 24/7. The Tennis channel must be too cheap, though.

Not sure if I’ve ever seen women do it. I’m kind of turned on.

I think this is funny. Some people have sticks up their asses.

Israeli baseball team sparks outrage for posting TikTok video jumping on 'anti-sex beds' in Tokyo

Didn't even know there was rugby much less women's rugby.

New Zealanders are a different animal.

Those beds are tiny, but apparently sturdy enough. How are athletes supposed to have Olympic quality sex on those things? Not everyone can do the balance beam.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

Golf Channel is owned by NBC, the Tennis Channel is owned by Sinclair.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Golf Channel is owned by NBC, the Tennis Channel is owned by Sinclair.
Ah, thanks.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:06 pm
Look up "toughest badass in the valley" and here's the picture..
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lindsey-vo ... 47654.html

Repeat from last Fall, tonight:
In Depth With Graham Bensinger
Lindsey Vonn

Season 11, Episode 5
11:30 PM ET ON FOX • Stereo • CC

Olympic ski racer Lindsey Vonn invites Graham to her new Park City, Utah, mountain retreat. The alpine World Cup champion discusses retired life, her dozens of injuries and the daily battle with permanent physical damage.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:50 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:57 am
Auburn is in
A tad better than "in".

Way to go Suni - see you in Auburn , I hope.

https://youtu.be/f08Doq8ob-w
3 days ago:

Today:

Olympic champion Sunisa Lee adds bronze on uneven bars
:clap:
Nina Derwael, Belgium - gold
Anastasiia Iliankova, ROC - silver

Vault
Rebeca Andrade, Brasil, runner-up to Lee in the all-around - gold
MyKayla Skinner, US - silver

:-|| to all.
1312. ETTD.