A Florida Man...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: A Florida Woman...

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:25 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:55 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:00 pm
All Florida Men originated in New York City.
I checked, it's true.
May be. Only 35ish percent of Florida residents were born there, and 8% of the population did in fact move there from NY, though not necessarily the City - the highest percentage of any state. Nevertheless, I'd argue that Florida is perfectly capable of growing its own native "Florida Man", some of whom I've seen personally in the wild. Controlled breeding has been attempted, but the species seems to flourish in feral form.
Occasionally, it works in reverse:

Police arrest woman for pepper spraying group of young Asian women in Manhattan

:wtf: They live there, she is from Florida. Oh well, lock her up.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Toss in NJ, Connecticut and Illinois and you're well over 50%.
True Florida Crackers are disappearing as the NY transplants think they special after 2 generations.

True, she's from Florida, but did she move there a year ago?
More information on this Florida lady allegation.
:lol: No word on whether she's an immigrant into Florida or not, but there is an update:
Florida woman who pepper-sprayed Asian women in NYC indicted on hate crime charges

The Florida woman accused of pepper-spraying a group of Asian women in New York City last month was indicted on hate crime charges.

Madeline Barker, the 47-year-old woman who was accused of hurling xenophobic comments and pepper-spraying four Asian women in Chelsea on June 11, was indicted on 12 hate crime charges on Thursday in Manhattan Criminal Court.

The Merritt Island resident, who admitted to being the woman involved in the incident, was previously arrested and arraigned on eight hate crime charges last month.
At least she's not from the Panhandle. ;)
... Barker is currently being held at Rikers Island on $20,000 bail.
:---P Keep her locked up!
(yeah, I'm also wondering why she can't make $20,000 bail, even if it's cash only)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: A Florida Community...

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

There's gotta be something in the water.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:07 pm

Theyall come from up naath - most of um fum Neeww York City. Dats why dey hasto live in there special town with theys golf carts.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
DerSantis may be in trouble.
PatriotTakes 🇺🇸
@patriottakes

Such a diverse group…
Has she tied herself up to anything lately?
This is who they love???
Laura Loomer

Laura Elizabeth Loomer (born May 21, 1993) is an American far-right and anti-Muslim political activist, conspiracy theorist, and internet personality. She was the Republican nominee to represent Florida's 21st congressional district in the 2020 United States House of Representatives elections, losing to Democrat Lois Frankel.
59% - 39.1%. :---P
Loomer has worked as an activist and journalist for several organizations, including Project Veritas, a right-wing group known for producing secretly recorded and deceptively edited undercover audio and video investigations of media organizations and left-leaning groups. She also briefly reported for the Canadian far-right news website The Rebel Media in 2017, and has occasionally reported for the American far-right conspiracy theory and fake news website InfoWars.

Loomer gained notoriety as a result of being banned from numerous social media platforms, payment processors, vehicles for hire, and food delivery mobile apps for various reasons, including violating policies on hate speech and spreading misinformation. She has also been banned and removed from events, and had press credentials revoked, for harassment and causing disturbances. After her 2018 ban from Twitter, she handcuffed herself to Twitter's headquarters in New York for two hours before police cut through the handcuffs at her request. Loomer was also banned from the March 2019 Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) after attempting to heckle reporters and chasing them through the conference.

In September 2021, Loomer announced her candidacy for Florida's 11th district in 2022, trying to unseat Republican U.S. Rep.Daniel Webster (R) in the primary election. She initially declared her intent to run again in the 21st district. She has been endorsed by Representatives Marjorie Taylor Greene and Paul Gosar.
Of course they did. :roll: She's a wingnut's wingnut.

:wtf: Florida's 11th congressional district, north from Tampa, The Villages, is nowhere near Florida's 21st congressional district, Palm Beach.

Primary elections will take place on August 23. More tweets:
We'll throw a lifeline to billy. and Mrs. pilgrim first.
So retiring in Florida is like going to hell early?
I believe hell is slightly cooler.
Definitely less humid.
Last I saw, there had been FIVE prosecutions for vote fraud coming out of The Villages for the November 2020 general election.
The Villages has the highest sexually transmitted disease rate in all of Florida! Not “alternative fact” but quantified by the State Board of Health!
I’m not familiar with the Villages. Is it a minimum security mental hospital or is it full on One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: A Florida Man...

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Yeah, she got her assed kicked as the nominee in Palm Beach two years ago so she's carpet bagging in a friendlier area.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:

Good god with a grape soda! We've all heard of the proverbial village idiot.....well, this place in FL The Villages is overrun with idiots. They have a village normal person. And all the idiots consider the normal guy the idiot.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:34 pm

Good god with a grape soda! We've all heard of the proverbial village idiot.....well, this place in FL The Villages is overrun with idiots. They have a village normal person. And all the idiots consider the normal guy the idiot.
Good idea for a Twilight Zone if there was still a Twilight Zone. A lot like "Eye of the Beholder" episode.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_th ... one,_1959)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:34 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

I wonder if Mr.Barnes showed up
https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/4th- ... ter-fraud/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:47 am
I wonder if Mr.Barnes showed up
https://www.wfla.com/news/politics/4th- ... ter-fraud/
He showed up at least twice.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Florida schools to let veterans teach without degrees

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... %20possess.
Veterans will now receive a five-year voucher that allows them to teach in the classroom without typical accreditation or the necessary education requirements that other certified teachers must possess.

The move is part of an $8.6 million statewide initiative to provide careers and workforce training to veterans and their dependents.

“We owe the freedoms we enjoy as Americans to our military veterans, and I am focused on ensuring Florida is the best state in the nation for those who have served to find great jobs, start or grow businesses and support their families,” said Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in a statement. “Business is booming in Florida, and employers are looking for the leadership skills, training and teamwork military veterans bring to the workforce.”
Maybe there's some test or something they have to pass to teach, or maybe they have to have some experience in something related to teaching while they were in the military, but just because you're a veteran doesn't automatically confer special abilities on you (unless of course you did something in a related field while serving).

It's cool to help them out, but I think this decision is more of an emotional appeal to voters.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 am

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... %20possess.
Veterans will now receive a five-year voucher that allows them to teach in the classroom without typical accreditation or the necessary education requirements that other certified teachers must possess.

The move is part of an $8.6 million statewide initiative to provide careers and workforce training to veterans and their dependents.

“We owe the freedoms we enjoy as Americans to our military veterans, and I am focused on ensuring Florida is the best state in the nation for those who have served to find great jobs, start or grow businesses and support their families,” said Florida Governor Ron DeSantis in a statement. “Business is booming in Florida, and employers are looking for the leadership skills, training and teamwork military veterans bring to the workforce.”
Maybe there's some test or something they have to pass to teach, or maybe they have to have some experience in something related to teaching while they were in the military, but just because you're a veteran doesn't automatically confer special abilities on you (unless of course you did something in a related field while serving).

It's cool to help them out, but I think this decision is more of an emotional appeal to voters.
I think it's a crazy plan. Hell, I'm a veteran, but as a teacher I'd guess I'm only qualified to teach stomping, beer appreciation, and the inherent goodness of Mr. Natural.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't know the details of this scheme, but on the surface it sounds like a total disrespect of the teaching profession, which of course would be expected of the Repugnants. It's saying that "anybody can teach" or at least that "anybody can learn to teach with a YouTube video". Teaching, particularly teaching elementary and middle schoolers is a skill and talent that goes way beyond just subject education. Many parents spend time concerned that their kids aren't influenced by the "wrong crowd" but ignore the influence of a good teacher. And fer shure, not everybody who get a teaching certificate is any good at it, either, but the chances are better than somebody whose only exposure to teaching came in some military training course.

And yeah, neoplacebo - I think you'd be a great teacher.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 am

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/ ... t-degrees/

Infantry vets would do an excellent job teaching gangbangers and school shooters. :o :problem:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:03 am
I don't know the details of this scheme, but on the surface it sounds like a total disrespect of the teaching profession, which of course would be expected of the Repugnants. It's saying that "anybody can teach" or at least that "anybody can learn to teach with a YouTube video". Teaching, particularly teaching elementary and middle schoolers is a skill and talent that goes way beyond just subject education. Many parents spend time concerned that their kids aren't influenced by the "wrong crowd" but ignore the influence of a good teacher. And fer shure, not everybody who get a teaching certificate is any good at it, either, but the chances are better than somebody whose only exposure to teaching came in some military training course.

And yeah, neoplacebo - I think you'd be a great teacher.
I've posted about this several times over the years. It's part of the long range republican strategy to turn Florida consistently red. Jeb and Rick both pushed every possible exclusive benefit to vets for living in and moving to Florida that they could imagine. Come to Florida - lower taxes, free college, free job benefits and top of employment considerations, we have it all.
Ron is just following the lead, albeit on steroids.

Ron's plan to hand out free college degrees and diplomas to vets also keeps the communists out of the classroom and potentially could serve to lower the number of friendly casualties in case of a typical classroom live fire-fight

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Why would the same consideration be extended to a veterans spouse? Suppose a vet was married to a woman/man that didn't work. What makes their spouse qualified to teach? Being married to someone that served? I thought we didn't confer titles and positions to people based on marriage or whatever, but instead merit? As in the most qualified for the job? Military spouse is NOT a qualification. Truth be told, neither is veteran.

I've met veterans that were absolute trash human beings. They deserve no respect simply for having been in the military. If you're a bad person, you're a bad person. Individual actions and integrity determine whether you're owed respect. Likewise, individual merit determines whether you deserve a job teaching. There's a reason we require teachers to be educated themselves in the art of teaching.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Florida Vets...

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:00 pm
... I've met veterans that were absolute trash human beings. They deserve no respect simply for having been in the military. If you're a bad person, you're a bad person....
There will soon be some horror stories. This would typically lead to reconsideration of the program, but it's Florida so -0-? . I wonder if the bill bans firing bad teachers that are vets.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:00 pm
Why would the same consideration be extended to a veterans spouse? Suppose a vet was married to a woman/man that didn't work. What makes their spouse qualified to teach? Being married to someone that served? I thought we didn't confer titles and positions to people based on marriage or whatever, but instead merit? As in the most qualified for the job? Military spouse is NOT a qualification. Truth be told, neither is veteran.

I've met veterans that were absolute trash human beings. They deserve no respect simply for having been in the military. If you're a bad person, you're a bad person. Individual actions and integrity determine whether you'r

e owed respect. Likewise, individual merit determines whether you deserve a job teaching. There's a reason we require teachers to be educated themselves in the art of teaching.
It has nothing to do with teachers. This is like so many other things DeSantis has done to attract the military.

Everywhere he can insert a military (right-wing) advantage, he does. Even the python program includes double pay for vets.

https://www.foxweather.com/earth-space/ ... everglades

"The novice and the pro with the most number of snakes take home $2,500 each. The runner-up novice and pro win $750 each. The hunters with the longest python (novice and pro) claim $1,500 each while the runner-ups collect $750 each. Active duty military and veterans who register can win extra prizes."

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Ok so maybe spouses aren't eligible for this. It sounds like fees are simply waived.
The Florida DOE told us that the above rumor is “completely false” and that the Military Veteran Certification Pathway “is not available for spouses of military veterans.”

Confusion over this law appears to stem from some poor wording on the Florida DOE website.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veter ... tificates/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Looks like we have a domestic terrorist Vanity plate

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/flori ... ntroversy/

"TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took to Twitter last week to promote the state’s new license plate design."

"DeSantis meanwhile has claimed on Twitter that the plate is intended to send a clear message to out-of-state cars, “‘Don’t Tread on Me’ or Florida.”'

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:03 pm
Looks like we have a domestic terrorist Vanity plate

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/flori ... ntroversy/

"TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis took to Twitter last week to promote the state’s new license plate design."

"DeSantis meanwhile has claimed on Twitter that the plate is intended to send a clear message to out-of-state cars, “‘Don’t Tread on Me’ or Florida.”'
It would be pretty easy to create a boot sticker that's neo-stomping the snake. :twisted:
1312. ETTD.