Heroes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Heroes

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:58 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:26 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:33 pm
Florida's scientist was fired for refusing to 'manipulate' COVID-19 data

Repugs like DeSantis hate science and truth.

Any bets on how long it will be before some other responsible govt or business snaps her up?
She hasn't exactly quit her state gig yet.

Fired Florida scientist builds coronavirus site showing far more cases than state reports
You beat me to it

There's really not much difference in the numbers less than 10% total cases and less than 3% deaths.

But still
That's what she's able to find with limited access to the data. Could be more if she hadn't been fired. Mostly, though, I'm impressed that she's still at it. Either it's some very elaborate plot, or she truly cares about truth and public service.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Bride-to-be (1 FAT CAN's daughter) reportedly demands refund from BLM-supporting photographer

... Rochelle was undeterred, though, and sent the woman her own missive.

“I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, the contract you signed states that your deposit is nonrefundable. I will email you a cancellation agreement shortly that will require your signature to forfeit your date,” she wrote.

“I wish you a lifetime of growth and I would like to thank you for your donation to Black Lives Matter,” added Rochelle, who also posted the message in social media.

“Just to be like, ‘hey, this stuff is still happening, look at this, this is a bummer that somebody feels this way,’” said Rochelle, whose Facebook page gained over 90,000 likes, according to Fox 19.
:---P
... “I lost a day of work. It doesn’t even begin to compare of what our friends and our people of color go through every day just waking up,” said Rochelle, who recently expressed her support for the BLM in social media.

“Shakira Rochelle Photography stands in solidarity with the black community. The Black Lives Matter movement has my endless support,” she wrote....

She added: “I have always stood up for human rights and will continue to do so. I have marched with my loved ones as well as alone. My intentions are pure.”

Fox 19 said it was unable to reach the client for comment.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
You beat me to it

There's really not much difference in the numbers less than 10% total cases and less than 3% deaths.

But still
Still at it, and DeSantis is pissed off.

Rebekah Jones renews COVID-19 criticism. DeSantis says it’s a ‘conspiracy bandwagon’

All interesting to me, but this might be useful:
... Jones has raised more than $183,000 on a GoFundMe website for her rival dashboard, where she says the data will not be “fudged.” The new dashboard, which she calls Florida COVID Action, looks a lot like the state health department’s and draws upon state data, but has some differences....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
You beat me to it

But still
As Florida gets overwhelmed:

Florida's COVID-19 data is unreliable, confusing and hazardous to our health
Rebekah Jones, Opinion contributor, USA TODAY Opinion•July 11, 2020

:-||
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:27 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
You beat me to it

But still
As Florida gets overwhelmed:

Florida's COVID-19 data is unreliable, confusing and hazardous to our health
Rebekah Jones, Opinion contributor, USA TODAY Opinion•July 11, 2020

:-||
I didn't read the whole article but the headline "far more cases" seems to be an exaggeration. She definitely shows more and it does appear that she was fired because she spoke up about manipulated data. I'm all for her continued voice, but so far I don't see enough difference to be significantly useful - except maybe more people will start to resist manipulating data.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 pm
I didn't read the whole article but the headline "far more cases" seems to be an exaggeration. She definitely shows more and it does appear that she was fired because she spoke up about manipulated data. I'm all for her continued voice, but so far I don't see enough difference to be significantly useful - except maybe more people will start to resist manipulating data.
"far more cases" is from the headline of the article that you responded to on Jun 12, 2020, and no one disputed you then. What do you think of her current assertions? The op-ed is quite short.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:46 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:21 pm
"far more cases" is from the headline of the article that you responded to on Jun 12, 2020, and no one disputed you then. What do you think of her current assertions? The op-ed is quite short.
I'll read it again (later) with a calculator. I was coming up with roughly the same percentages doing the math in my head - she was about 10% higher overall and 3 or 4% higher on deaths. That is significant and probably proof of Florida fudging numbers, but not "far more cases".

Again, I like that she is making waves against DeSantis.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:14 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I'll read it again (later) with a calculator. I was coming up with roughly the same percentages doing the math in my head - she was about 10% higher overall and 3 or 4% higher on deaths. That is significant and probably proof of Florida fudging numbers, but not "far more cases".

That's fine, but you would still be critiquing her Jun 12, 2020 data. Not much point to that given the tragic changes in a month. It may be more useful to compare Florida's current numbers to her website, or to address her July 11 op-ed claims about Florida's lapses that don't include specific numbers. I'll bet she has more details about where Florida is failing on her website, too.

Tain't nuttin' wrong wit dat. :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:46 am
A Big Tip for an Everyday Hero
$63,343 raised of $1,000 goal

:happy-cheerleaderkid:
Holy crap, now $91,567. Best '86' ever!

Chris Evans pledges to send Captain America shield to brave dog attack boy

... “On July 9th, my six year old nephew Bridger saved his little sister’s life by standing between her and a charging dog,” Nikki Walker wrote on the social networking site.

“After getting bit several times on the face and head, he grabbed his sister’s hand and ran with her to keep her safe. He later said, ‘If someone had to die, I thought it should be me’.”

(short video)

Bridger had 90 stitches in his face from where the dog mauled him, but he’s now at home recovering from his injuries.

Walker shared a video of Bridger watching Evans’ pre-recorded video message wearing a Captain America costume saying ‘we are so, so thankful’....

She tagged a number of Marvel actors in the original post including Evans, Spider-Man star Tom Holland, and Iron Man actor Robert Downey Jr, to let them know “about this latest hero who joined their ranks.”

Hulk actor Mark Ruffalo sent Bridger a message of support praising him as "more of man than many, many I have seen or known."

Captain Marvel’s Brie Larson also sent Bridger a message of support.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

An Arizona school district canceled its reopening plans because too many teachers refused to show up

... Out of 250 teachers employed in the district, 109 certified staff had applied to be absent on Monday, the Republic reported, citing a district spokeswoman.

Two certified employees and two classified employees have also resigned since the vote, the Republic reported....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:14 pm
Vrede too wrote:

That's fine, but you would still be critiquing her Jun 12, 2020 data. Not much point to that given the tragic changes in a month. It may be more useful to compare Florida's current numbers to her website, or to address her July 11 op-ed claims about Florida's lapses that don't include specific numbers. I'll bet she has more details about where Florida is failing on her website, too.

Tain't nuttin' wrong wit dat. :D
Looks like DeSantis is making waves too.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 482817002/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:22 pm
Looks like DeSantis is making waves too.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/ ... 482817002/
Assholes. Thanks for the update.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

"DeSantis said Friday that what Jones is accused of doing is “clearly a felony offense.” Jones, who has not been charged,"

Don't they arrest people (trumps excluded) for committing something that is “clearly a felony offense.”?