Heroes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Heroes

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:08 am

"DeSantis said Friday that what Jones is accused of doing is “clearly a felony offense.” Jones, who has not been charged,"

Don't they arrest people (trumps excluded) for committing something that is “clearly a felony offense.”?
Early next week he will say he was "misquoted" and was actually talking about some "fellow on a fence" and then a few days after that he will say he was "joking." Blatant lying is much easier to do and get away with in the trumpaloon era.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Washington State Elector With Terminal Health Issue Tears Up After Voting For Biden (with video)

... Just days after his selection as an elector, 64-year-old Democrat Jack Arends was diagnosed with an inoperable heart valve issue, The Daily Herald reported.

A retired aviation industry analyst, Arends entered the floor of the state Senate in a wheelchair and wearing a brimmed cap reading “Play Nice.” He took a less-than-subtle jab at Trump by bringing two Sharpie markers ― the president’s writing tool of choice on several headline-making occasions ― to cast his vote for Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.

... “Today is the chance to begin the end of the Trump administration,” he said. “I was glad to do my duty and rid our nation of a petty dictator. Had he won a second term, there is no limit to the damage he could have done to the world.”

Arends, who by then appeared to be holding back tears, concluded the speech by addressing his ailing condition.

“It was important for me to do this one thing that I could do while I still can,” he said, before placing his head down on the desk. At that point, he was comforted by fellow elector Julian Wheeler, who placed a hand on his shoulder while the rest of the chamber applauded....
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
"DeSantis said Friday that what Jones is accused of doing is “clearly a felony offense.” Jones, who has not been charged,"

Don't they arrest people (trumps excluded) for committing something that is “clearly a felony offense.”?
Early next week he will say he was "misquoted" and was actually talking about some "fellow on a fence" and then a few days after that he will say he was "joking." Blatant lying is much easier to do and get away with in the trumpaloon era.
This whole thing is not going well for DeSantis.

Florida's Sun Sentinel found an odd gap in state COVID-19 deaths ahead of the election

Florida newspapers sue DeSantis for ‘covering up Covid reports’

Video: Florida covid-19 whistleblower: ‘Nothing’ Gov. Ron DeSantis has done with the virus has been honest
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I'm loving DeSantis exposed as the PoS he most certainly is. Thanks Rebekah.

That said, I'm not so sure that Rebekah is all that honest, but after 4 years of lies winning the day, it could well be time for a few defensive lies. I have solid evidence that DeSantis is McConnell’s lizard offspring. If you don't believe me, then why won't they submit to a DNA test?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:25 am
... I have solid evidence that DeSantis is McConnell’s lizard offspring. If you don't believe me, then why won't they submit to a DNA test?
Turtles are reptiles. Busted.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

‘Sad and an utter scam’: Republican (IL) congressman accuses Trump of temper tantrums and conspiracy theories

... In his posts on Saturday, Mr Kinzinger appeared to be referencing reports from The New York Times earlier this month that said Mr Trump had raised around $170 million (£127m) since 3 November to help him overturn the election result. A majority of the funds were secured in the week after the election.

Since then, Mr Trump and his campaign team have repeatedly sent out emails asking for donations for an “Election Defence Fund”.

Although the campaign has claimed the donations are for the “defence fund”, the fine print of the communication suggests much of the money donated to support that effort since election day has instead paid down campaign debt and replenished the Republican National Committee.

The money has also been spent helping Save America, a new political action committee Mr Trump founded following the election, get started. Money raised by the committee is able to be used for personal expenses.

Mr Kinzinger’s criticisms of Mr Trump also came amid reports that Alabama representative Mo Brooks and incoming senator Tommy Tuberville will challenge the Electoral College votes in January....

GOP members of Congress met privately with Mr Trump at the White House on Monday to discuss plans to object to the Electoral College results, according to The Hill.

Joining Mr Brooks at the meeting were Matt Gaetz of Florida, Georgia lawmakers Jody Hice and Representative-elect Marjorie Taylor Greene, and Jim Jordan of Ohio, who all tweeted about it.

Bloomberg reported that Scott Perry of Pennsylvania, Louie Gohmert of Texas and Andy Biggs of Arizona were also at the meeting....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

My favorite and the hardest working president of the past 50+ years sent this email.

"Several years ago, when I stood in front of this group of children in Ghana, I asked them, “Who here has had Guinea worm disease?”

(Photo not posted here)

If you look closely, you’ll see that most of the children have had Guinea worm disease! My friend, this photo shows why your ongoing support and commitment to our work is so important. In the region of Ghana where I stood that day, we worked with volunteer health workers and village leaders to bring an end to Guinea worm disease.

Today, all of these children and the entire nation of Ghana is free of Guinea worm. Someday soon, if you ask a group of villagers, “Who has had Guinea worm disease?” it will be only adults who raise their hands.

And one day across the entire world, no one will raise their hands! Guinea worm will be a distant memory.

But we have to finish the job and make the same kind of progress against other diseases that prey upon the world’s poorest people.

As we come to the end of this year, I urge you to make a final tax-deductible gift to bring health and peace to people in need. We’re ready to turn your compassion into action.

MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTION NOW
TO WAGE PEACE AND FIGHT DISEASE »
Rosalynn and I thank you for your generosity and wish you a healthy, happy, and hope-filled New Year!

Sincerely,

Jimmy Carter
Co-Founder and Trustee
The Carter Center"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:17 pm
My favorite and the hardest working president of the past 50+ years sent this email.

"Several years ago, when I stood in front of this group of children in Ghana, I asked them, “Who here has had Guinea worm disease?”

(Photo not posted here)

If you look closely, you’ll see that most of the children have had Guinea worm disease! My friend, this photo shows why your ongoing support and commitment to our work is so important. In the region of Ghana where I stood that day, we worked with volunteer health workers and village leaders to bring an end to Guinea worm disease.

Today, all of these children and the entire nation of Ghana is free of Guinea worm. Someday soon, if you ask a group of villagers, “Who has had Guinea worm disease?” it will be only adults who raise their hands.

And one day across the entire world, no one will raise their hands! Guinea worm will be a distant memory.

But we have to finish the job and make the same kind of progress against other diseases that prey upon the world’s poorest people.

As we come to the end of this year, I urge you to make a final tax-deductible gift to bring health and peace to people in need. We’re ready to turn your compassion into action.

MAKE YOUR CONTRIBUTION NOW
TO WAGE PEACE AND FIGHT DISEASE »
Rosalynn and I thank you for your generosity and wish you a healthy, happy, and hope-filled New Year!

Sincerely,

Jimmy Carter
Co-Founder and Trustee
The Carter Center"
I also admire Jimmy Carter. I think he got a raw deal from evil people both without and within America. His post presidential activities have amply demonstrated what a good man he is.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

If you've never done so, google Carter's Law Day speech of May 1974.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Top ER doc at Walter Reed fired by trump.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... walter-ree

Phillips, who is also the chief of disaster medicine at George Washington University, said in October that Trump's insistence on riding in a motorcade past supporters gathered across the street from Walter Reed exposed his security detail and others to a high risk of infection by the deadly coronavirus.

'"The irresponsibility is astounding. My thoughts are with the Secret Service forced to play," the physician wrote in a tweet later deleted. He also dismissed Trump's outing — which came one month before the national election — as "political theater" that forced other people into quarantine and put them at unnecessary risk."

You can't disagree with trump.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:41 am
Thanks. I've read a lot of his speeches and keep up with him by donating to the Carter Center charity.
What other president has credited Dylan's Ain't Gonna Work On Maggie's Farm as part of his understanding of the average worker.

He is so much more than just a great man. His biggest negative stands as his resolve to do what had to be done. republicans hated him for it. reagan beat him with his pie in the sky bullshit and we have been paying for it ever since.

https://www.cartercenter.org/about/index.html

From the above email asking for donations

"Today, all of these children and the entire nation of Ghana is free of Guinea worm. Someday soon, if you ask a group of villagers, “Who has had Guinea worm disease?” it will be only adults who raise their hands."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:42 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:41 am
Thanks. I've read a lot of his speeches and keep up with him by donating to the Carter Center charity.
What other president has credited Dylan's Ain't Gonna Work On Maggie's Farm as part of his understanding of the average worker.

He is so much more than just a great man. His biggest negative stands as his resolve to do what had to be done. republicans hated him for it. reagan beat him with his pie in the sky bullshit and we have been paying for it ever since.

https://www.cartercenter.org/about/index.html

From the above email asking for donations

"Today, all of these children and the entire nation of Ghana is free of Guinea worm. Someday soon, if you ask a group of villagers, “Who has had Guinea worm disease?” it will be only adults who raise their hands."
Glad you liked it. Every American should read or listen to it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I hope this email finds you and your family well.

I have exciting news that the documentary ‘Jimmy Carter, Rock and Roll President’ will premiere on CNN tomorrow, Jan. 3, at 9 p.m. Eastern / 8 p.m. Central / 7 p.m. Mountain / 6 p.m. Pacific.

The Carter Center contributed to the making of this film, and it’s a rare look at the many musical influences in the life of our co-founder, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

The film chronicles the role of popular music in propelling the relatively unknown candidate from Georgia to the White House, and the significant role music has played in his life and work.

It combines interviews with the former President and contributors and performances from the likes of Willie Nelson, Bono, Bob Dylan, Garth Brooks, Trisha Yearwood, Jimmy Buffett, Roseanne Cash, Chuck Leavell, Paul Simon, Aretha Franklin, Dizzy Gillespie, and many others.

For a complete list of viewing times and options, please visit CNN’s website.

Wishing you peace and good health in this new year.

Sincerely,

Paige Alexander
CEO, The Carter Center

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:00 pm
Deserves the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

The Photos of These Women Saving the Ballot Boxes Belong in History Books
Rush and Nunes have those. How about . . .
... Among the photos of "patriots," as the violent rioters were calling themselves, lounging at House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's desk, seating themselves at the vice president's post on the Senate floor, breaking windows and doors, and climbing the statues in Statuary Hall, there were also photos of the Senate aides who transported the crucial electoral ballot boxes out of the Capitol building before rioters had a chance to get their hands on the votes in an attempt to overthrow the 2020 election....
Statuary Hall.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Freshman GOP Rep. Mace (Charleston, SC): Trump’s ‘Entire Legacy Was Wiped Out’

President Donald Trump’s “entire legacy was wiped out” with the violence in the halls of the nation’s Capitol building, freshman GOP Rep. Nancy Mace said Thursday....

She called on her colleagues to condemn the violence that took place and said the nation needs leadership more than ever....

Wednesday was “a sad day for our nation,” the new lawmaker said. “I was shocked. I was heartbroken. And I was pissed off and angry by seeing this violent mob. This wasn’t protests. This was anarchy.”

Mace said she brought her two children to Washington, D.C., for her swearing-in ceremony Sunday, and had planned for them to stay this week but sent them home Monday morning because she was worried about the upcoming rally.

“I woke up this morning being criticized for voting to certify a legally certified election, in all 50 states, for certifying the Electoral College,” she said. “This needs to stop. Enough is enough.”

Mace said that someone recently threatened on social media to shoot her, and Tuesday night, she was “accosted” on the street in the capital.

She added that she’s disappointed that there were still votes against President-elect Joe Biden’s confirmation after the events of the day, and she wants her colleagues to stop “using the language of the rigged election.”

“What happened yesterday is because millions of people across the country were misled by Republicans and by the administration that members of Congress could overturn and usurp the Electoral College in a single vote to object yesterday,” said Mace....
Can we trade Cawthorn for her?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:15 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:39 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

This whole thing is not going well for DeSantis.

Florida's Sun Sentinel found an odd gap in state COVID-19 deaths ahead of the election

Florida newspapers sue DeSantis for ‘covering up Covid reports’

Video: Florida covid-19 whistleblower: ‘Nothing’ Gov. Ron DeSantis has done with the virus has been honest
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/01/16/f ... nt-issued/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks for the update.

Saying goodbye to my family just now is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
Rebekah Jones will be a hero to me until someone proves that she isn't. Mysteriously, that proof has been utterly lacking.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I hope she's proves to be a hero. This could really hurt DeSantis.

Or she could be the future poster child for Karens.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

‘It was my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection’: (White) DC officer injured in Capitol riot speaks out

A Washington DC police officer who was crushed by a far-right mob during the insurrection at the US Capitol earlier this month has said that he would do it all again to protect US democracy.

“If it wasn’t my job I would’ve done that for free,” Officer Daniel Hodges said in an interview with NBC. “It was absolutely my pleasure to crush a white nationalist insurrection … We’ll do it as many times as it takes." ...

“We were fighting with everything we had to push it back,” he told NBC. “I got pinned to the doorway, they ripped my mask off, stole my equipment, beat me up, sprayed me with everything.”

One man took the officer’s baton and beat him with it, while another jammed a thumb into his eye, Officer Hodges said.

“Once I got my mask off I was sucking down tear gas, pepper spray and all that stuff,” he said....

Prosecutors warned that “the insurrection is still in progress” as federal law enforcement prepares additional charges against a growing list of rioters.

The Justice Department (DOJ) has opened nearly 300 investigations into the Capitol violence, according to US Attorney for DC Michael Sherwin. As of Friday DOJ had opened 98 criminal cases, most of which involve felonies.

“The cognitive dissonance and the zealotry of these people is unreal,” Officer Hodges told NBC. “They were waving the thin blue line flag while telling us that we’re traitors and calling themselves patriots and then later on beating us with the flags.”

He said: "I had one guy yelling at me, telling me, you know, he paid for my gear, for me to give it to him. We had alleged veterans telling us that they fought their country, that they would never hurt us, but at the same time they were there, hurting us."
1312. ETTD.