Heroes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Heroes

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:50 am
I hope she's proves to be a hero. This could really hurt DeSantis.

Or she could be the future poster child for Karens.
I would love to be on that jury, but they'll probably exclude health professionals.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I reserve judgement, but this person may turn out to be a left wing Karen....looks like some hinky past action....Vrede posted the same story but left out what makes me suspicuous. It's the last two paragraphs.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-florida-e ... 14623.html

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:25 pm
I reserve judgement, but this person may turn out to be a left wing Karen....looks like some hinky past action....Vrede posted the same story but left out what makes me suspicuous. It's the last two paragraphs.
Maybe she'll raise enough to run against DeSantis.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
... While Jones has had several run-ins with law enforcement over personal issues, she gained international attention by disputing Florida’s COVID-19 statistics.
Relationships are weird.
As a Department of Health employee, she was paid an annual salary of nearly $48,000. Since May she has raised more than $273,000 on a GoFundMe account after criticizing Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Could be, but $273K doesn't make one wealthy, especially when factoring in the job loss, the volunteer web site and legal costs.

I've yet to see anyone successfully argue that her numbers were and are wrong. Until that happens I'm not so concerned with her alleged motivations.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
... While Jones has had several run-ins with law enforcement over personal issues, she gained international attention by disputing Florida’s COVID-19 statistics.
Relationships are weird.
As a Department of Health employee, she was paid an annual salary of nearly $48,000. Since May she has raised more than $273,000 on a GoFundMe account after criticizing Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.
Could be, but $273K doesn't make one wealthy, especially when factoring in the job loss, the volunteer web site and legal costs.

I've yet to see anyone successfully argue that her numbers were and are wrong. Until that happens I'm not so concerned with her alleged motivations.
My suspicion may be without merit. I hope she is a hero. Just that I find the prior "run ins with law enforcement over personal issues" to possibly mean "she's crazy." As for the money raising, I do hope she's a hero with it either to be a thorn to the governor or to advocate for other non wingnut causes instead of buying a Ferrari or something. And if she is a hero she will not need to worry about legal expenses; I bet there are any number of legal outfits or even government corruption investigation agencies that would jump at the chance to file this case, assuming the info and data she has is accurate.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:37 am
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Relationships are weird.

My suspicion may be without merit. I hope she is a hero. Just that I find the prior "run ins with law enforcement over personal issues" to possibly mean "she's crazy." As for the money raising, I do hope she's a hero with it either to be a thorn to the governor or to advocate for other non wingnut causes instead of buying a Ferrari or something. And if she is a hero she will not need to worry about legal expenses; I bet there are any number of legal outfits or even government corruption investigation agencies that would jump at the chance to file this case, assuming the info and data she has is accurate.
More details:
It looks bad for Rebekah. She did it, but the state's lack of security may get them laughed out of court.

The system that she accessed has 1,750 users and they all use the same username and password.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/01/re ... covid.html
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

No doubt she did commit "unauthorized access" to the FL computer system and the state can probably provide a form she signed during her hiring process that shows she agreed not to do "unauthorized access." But per your link, the username and password for this particular system was publicly available. So to my way of thinking, there cannot possibly be any "unauthorized access" to this computer system since virtually anyone has or had the ability to access it. Next case.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 pm
More details:
It looks bad for Rebekah. She did it, but the state's lack of security may get them laughed out of court.

The system that she accessed has 1,750 users and they all use the same username and password.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/01/re ... covid.html
Seems pretty shaky to call it a secure system when so little effort is put into keeping it secure, as neoplacebo says. She also clearly and harmlessly used it for actual emergency management purposes, the most deadly emergency Florida has had in a long time. I sure wouldn't bet on them finding 12 jurors to convict, but I think 12 voting to acquit is possible.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

She definitely broke the states rules, but I don't see how it could be illegal to use a system that is open to anyone who has ever worked or been fired from the nearly 2,000 positions.

A competent attorney should be able to easily show that by not having individual login and passwords the state never intended the system to private.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Hey, public, my credit card number is 5800 4113 6223 2794.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 am
She definitely broke the states rules, but I don't see how it could be illegal to use a system that is open to anyone who has ever worked or been fired from the nearly 2,000 positions.

A competent attorney should be able to easily show that by not having individual login and passwords the state never intended the system to private.
:thumbup: More FL heroes:

Article
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

With any luck the pilots are trumpers but suck their "ethics" in deference to cash. Winning!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:34 pm
With any luck the pilots are trumpers but suck their "ethics" in deference to cash. Winning!
Idk about the actual pilots, but:
... She said that she contacted a Florida company called Aerial Messages and that its CEO, Remy Colin, was "really enthusiastic" about the project....
Then again, maybe it was the money that he was "really enthusiastic" about. -0-?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Praise for teen who filmed George Floyd's murder

Darnella Frazier, the teen who filmed the killing of George Floyd with her cell phone, received widespread praise following the conviction of former Minneapolis Police Department officer Derek Chauvin on Tuesday.

Following a nearly three-week trial, a jury found Chauvin guilty on charges of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. One of the most compelling pieces of evidence was the video seen around the world that was taken by then-17-year-old Frazier, which caught Chauvin putting a knee on Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes. The teenager also testified at Chauvin's trial last month, where she became emotional as she described seeing Floyd "suffering" and begging for his life....

President Joe Biden
Actress Kerry Washington
60 Minutes+ correspondent Wesley Lowery
Pete Souza, former White House photographer
Washington Post columnist Michele Norris
New York City mayoral candidate Ray McGuire
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:44 am

I didn't know that she lives in your district.

Florida scientist Rebekah Jones fired over whistleblower claim says she will run against Matt Gaetz

My guess: Repugs persuade Gaetz to not run in 2022 and Jones doesn't stand a chance against any Repug besides Gaetz (and maybe not even him) and thus won't end up running.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

My guess; Matt will either be in prison or have killed himself by this time next year. I also thought about him giving birth to some sort of grotesque floppy blob in the back seat of a long sleek car on his way to prison; nobody ever figured out what it was.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:18 pm
My guess; Matt will either be in prison or have killed himself by this time next year. I also thought about him giving birth to some sort of grotesque floppy blob in the back seat of a long sleek car on his way to prison; nobody ever figured out what it was.
:D
Covid Whistle-blower Rebekah Jones is challenging Rep. Matt Gaetz

... “I hope I do better than a sex trafficker,” Jones told NBC News. “It’s absurd that he’s still in office. Someone like that should not go unchallenged.”
:---P
Jones, who currently lives in Maryland, made the announcement on a new Instagram account she set up after her Twitter account was suspended. She said she ran afoul of Twitter for repeatedly reposting a Miami Herald article highly critical of DeSantis.

“I had hoped that someone in the Republican Party would step up and primary him, and I’ve yet to see that happen,” Jones said in the video. “And so, if it takes me going home to Florida to run against Matt Gaetz, then I will do it. If it means getting one child sex trafficker out of office, you’re damn right I’ll do it.” ...
Sounds to me like she's making a point rather than really planning on moving and running. She'd have to be crazy to leave Maryland to live in FL1 :P . We'll see.

The Miami Herald article:

What Rebekah Jones saw behind the scenes at the Florida Department of Health

In related news:
Florida Data Scientist Rebekah Jones Granted Whistleblower Status
Jones accused state health officials of pressuring her to manipulate COVID-19 numbers. State officials said she was fired for communicating with the media.

... Under the state’s whistleblower rules, Jones could be reinstated or be eligible for compensation if an investigation finds her firing was in retaliation for the concerns she raised.

Jones told the Herald that while not “vindication,” she called the inspector’s ruling “a start” and “a big push forward.” ...
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Reality Winner, jailed for leaking Russian hacking secrets, released from prison

She proved to the world that Russia had been influencing the 2016 election on behalf of former PINO while he was still denying it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Raiders DE Carl Nassib comes out as gay, becomes first active NFL player to do so

This should be a ho-hum moment. I hope, perhaps unrealistically, that's what it mostly ends up being.
1312. ETTD.