Middle East

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Middle East

Unread post by Vrede too »

Tell Congress:

"Stop the sale of American weapons to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates."
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to Congress:

“Co-sponsor and support Rep. Ro Khanna and Sen. Bernie Sanders' resolution to end U.S. military involvement in the Saudi-led war in Yemen.”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

H J RES 37 YEA-AND-NAY 13-Feb-2019 4:28 PM
QUESTION: On Passage
BILL TITLE: Directing the removal of United States Armed Forces from hostilities in the Republic of Yemen that have not been authorized by Congress

Democratic: 230 Yea, 4 not voting
Republican: 18 Yea, 177 Nay, 1 present, 1 not voting
TOTALS: 248 Yea, 177 Nay, 1 present, 5 not voting

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

"Back in December, during the previous Congress, the Senate passed the same resolution (or nearly identical). So, the big question is now whether the Senate will do it again."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

There’s yet another Trump administration scandal brewing. And it’s a doozy.

That the Trump administration is deeply, profoundly corrupt is not in question. But there are layers to that corruption that we have barely begun to explore. We are now learning of an absolutely shocking story that shows how so many people in Donald Trump’s orbit see his presidency as an opportunity for personal enrichment, and how that corruption may be warping U.S. policy....
Summary: Many people surrounding POSPOTUS working to enrich themselves and skirt law by helping to provide potentially dangerous nuclear tech to Saudi Arabia.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:05 am
There’s yet another Trump administration scandal brewing. And it’s a doozy.

That the Trump administration is deeply, profoundly corrupt is not in question. But there are layers to that corruption that we have barely begun to explore. We are now learning of an absolutely shocking story that shows how so many people in Donald Trump’s orbit see his presidency as an opportunity for personal enrichment, and how that corruption may be warping U.S. policy....
Summary: Many people surrounding POSPOTUS working to enrich themselves and skirt law by helping to provide potentially dangerous nuclear tech to Saudi Arabia.
I saw this when it first came out, it escapes me why this story doesn't have more traction.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The GOP Is Playing Defense For Trump And Saudi Arabia. Bernie Sanders Isn’t Giving In.
On Wednesday the Republican-controlled Senate passed a bill ending U.S. support for the Saudis in Yemen that could get through the House within weeks and force an embarrassing Trump veto.

Senators voted 54-46 on Wednesday for a bill ending U.S. support for Saudi Arabia’s controversial intervention in Yemen, stymying GOP efforts to protect the policy and President Donald Trump, who will now likely have to issue a veto on behalf of a campaign accused of war crimes and a Saudi ruler who the CIA believes murdered a journalist.

Democrats in the House are now expected to take up and pass the resolution, perhaps as soon as the last week of March, a congressional aide told HuffPost. It would then proceed to Trump’s desk.

The win is the second in the Senate for a coalition opposed to the Yemen war: Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and Mike Lee (R-Utah), allies in the House and advocacy groups on the left and right who have managed to make it a top issue on Capitol Hill. They passed a similar resolution in the previous Congress in December — scoring the first successful Senate vote to end a U.S. military operation not approved by Congress — after tapping lawmakers’ frustrations over the Saudis’ killing of Washington Post writer Jamal Khashoggi and near-famine conditions for millions of people in Yemen.

Seven Republican senators voted for the legislation despite strong pressure from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) ...
Vote Summary
Question:
On the Joint Resolution (S.J.Res. 7 As Amended)

0 Dems or Independents opposed
The 7 decent, humanitarian and patriotic Repubs are:
Collins (R-ME)
Daines (R-MT)
Lee (R-UT)
Moran (R-KS)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Paul (R-KY)
Young (R-IN)

The TV news says that if the House also passes the bill as expected, this will be the first time that Congress has invoked the War Powers Resolution in its 46 year history. Shameful.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trump vetoes measure to end US involvement in Yemen war

:roll:

POSPOTUS is a lapdog for the Saudis, even to the extent of making us complicit in genocide.

Donald Trump 'Curtsy' For Saudi King Is Tragically Cute
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... cdba548c22
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

British General Contradicts U.S. Claim of Increased Threat From Iran-Backed Militias

Spain pulls frigate from U.S. Gulf mission amid differences over Iran

This time, Britain and Spain aren't swallowing the BS.

Comments:
Shades of the lead-up to the Iraq War. Bolton making up stories of grave threats.
A British general has made these comments. Spain has removed it's warship from the coalition due to misinformation. We can all see it happening, but nobody can do a thing about it.
Sure! We saw the same tactics prior to GW Bush attacking Iraq. Truths were swept under the carpet and replaced by intelligence reports dressed up to look like facts.

I trust the British officer more than I trust the Americans who have demonstrated a clear interest in getting a war started quite likely cheered on by Israel and Saudi.
In other words, the President of the United States is lying. Again.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Yes, "It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity." I'm sure all those German and Polish Jews in Auschwitz went to the gas chambers wishing they'd just been a little kinder and taken the high road with the Nazis, so they could find common ground and nourish unity.

And, before someone plays the card, Fuck Godwin.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I would be willing to bet trump starts a war with Iran if for no other reason than he probably thinks it would ensure his re election since we've never voted in someone other than the incumbent during a war as far as I know. Plus, he's fucking crazy stupid and has Yosemite Sam as national security advisor. I figure the next sixty days will tell the tale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOXedx1_sbk

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:41 am
Yes, "It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity." I'm sure all those German and Polish Jews in Auschwitz went to the gas chambers wishing they'd just been a little kinder and taken the high road with the Nazis, so they could find common ground and nourish unity.
When a Canadian gets riled:
It really is time to stop being nice about stupidity.
:lol: That could be another slogan for these times.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Boatrocker wrote:

I don't think Godwin applies in circumstances where the President* has been seriously compared to Hitler by real historians/psychologists.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am
I would be willing to bet trump starts a war with Iran if for no other reason than he probably thinks it would ensure his re election since we've never voted in someone other than the incumbent during a war as far as I know. Plus, he's fucking crazy stupid and has Yosemite Sam as national security advisor.
:lol:
I figure the next sixty days will tell the tale.
We did lose with both our Iraq and Afghan fiascos, and other fiascos before that, but they're still gonna do it again. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:29 pm
Boatrocker wrote:
:lol: That could be another slogan for these times.
O Really wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't think Godwin applies in circumstances where the President* has been seriously compared to Hitler by real historians/psychologists.
Great minds . . .
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:39 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:57 am
I would be willing to bet trump starts a war with Iran if for no other reason than he probably thinks it would ensure his re election since we've never voted in someone other than the incumbent during a war as far as I know. Plus, he's fucking crazy stupid and has Yosemite Sam as national security advisor.
:lol:
I figure the next sixty days will tell the tale.
We did lose with both our Iraq and Afghan fiascos, and other fiascos before that, but they're still gonna do it again. :(
Yep, like George said.....I see trouble comin' down the line.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Email Congress: Don't Iraq Iran!

I don't typically share petitions to 45SHOLE since he's so hopeless, but he doesn't yet seem to be fully committed to war with Iran.

Petition to Trump: Don't Iraq Iran!

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

US cuts funds for ‘anti-propaganda’ Iran group that trolled activists

The US state department has cut off funding to a group that purported to combat Iranian propaganda, after it was found to be trolling US journalists, human rights activists and academics it deemed to be insufficiently hostile to the government in Tehran.

The Iran Disinformation Project was funded by the state department’s global engagement centre which was created to counter foreign propaganda and disinformation. In recent weeks however, the group’s Twitter account @IranDisinfo targeted BBC journalists, thinktank experts and civil society advocates, denouncing them as being “mouthpieces” and supporters of the Iranian government.

In one case they singled out a researcher for Human Rights Watch (HRW), Tara Sepehri Far, because she had looked into the human rights impact of sanctions on ordinary Iranians.

The group also focused on supporters of the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, which Donald Trump withdrew from last year, particularly the National Iranian American Council, which has advocated nuclear diplomacy with Tehran. It used the hashtag #NIACLobbies4Mullahs....
"Iran Disinformation Project was launched in late 2018 and is funded by the US Department of State’s Global Engagement Center."

Surprise, surprise, a POSPOTUS/Mike Pompeo Middle East program is an embarrassing, out of control, counterproductive failure in less than a year.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Jared Kushner will fix all this in short order. He's a whirling dervish of Mideast peace rabbit out of a hat type stuff. Just sit back and watch.