Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:17 pm
It would take a thorough knowledge of machining and chemistry as well as possibly fluency in more than one language to cobble together a shotgun. That in itself takes the poorly educated out of the equation but I'm sure they'd want to be there.

It's on the internet. His was one of the simplest. Muzzle loaded black powder and or firecracker powder with ball bearing projectiles and an electronic ignition mounted on a plank with tape.

It's probably more likely to explode than function properly. A pipe bomb with one end open.

You never made a zip gun?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:00 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:21 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:26 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:05 am
Uh, oh. May I be among the first to predict the gun nuts claim that gun laws don't work?

"... a weapon -- described as a handmade shotgun..."
First thing I thought of.
And they won't mention that out of the 125 mill Japanese population they have fewer than 10 shootings a year. As compared to the 220 killed and over 500 injured by gunfire in the US just over the July 4th weekend.
Inconvenient truths diminish the narrative.
That obvious retort is PERHAPS a reason that only the particularly stupid gunhuggers will make the claim that gun laws don't work. So, millions of them.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:49 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
It would take a thorough knowledge of machining and chemistry as well as possibly fluency in more than one language to cobble together a shotgun. That in itself takes the poorly educated out of the equation but I'm sure they'd want to be there.
It's on the internet. His was one of the simplest. Muzzle loaded black powder and or firecracker powder with ball bearing projectiles and an electronic ignition mounted on a plank with tape.

It's probably more likely to explode than function properly. A pipe bomb with one end open.

College: Beer cans, tape and lighter fluid to make a potato/tennis ball cannon that would launch its projectile across the street.

Oil patch: Pipe, cap for one end, rag for wadding and acetylene torch to launch a soda can full of sand so high that it couldn't be seen.

Both were really cool.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:21 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:26 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:05 am
Uh, oh. May I be among the first to predict the gun nuts claim that gun laws don't work?

"... a weapon -- described as a handmade shotgun..."
First thing I thought of.
And they won't mention that out of the 125 mill Japanese population they have fewer than 10 shootings a year. As compared to the 220 killed and over 500 injured by gunfire in the US just over the July 4th weekend.
Elaboration:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/homemade-gun ... 41241.html
... Japan, a nation of about 125.8 million people, has one of the strictest gun laws in the world. There were just 10 shootings in 2021, with one person killed and four people injured, according to the country's National Police Agency. The majority of shootings each year are linked to Japanese organized crime, the agency added....
Just one dead, 5 misses :headscratch: ? Is Japanese organized crime guided by The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight (novel)?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

As you say, fta:
... Improvised firearms, also known as zip guns, are not complicated to construct and require parts that can be easily bought and ingredients to make homemade gun powder, said John DeCarlo, a professor of criminal justice at the University of New Haven and former chief of police in Branford, Connecticut....

Instructions to make zip guns are accessible online, he added. But such weapons are not prevalent in countries like the United States, where tens of thousands of people are afflicted by gun violence every year, because commercially manufactured guns are easier to buy.

"You don't often see them here," DeCarlo said.
Not as many ammosexual comments as I expected, but I found:
According to MSM any piece of metal pipe may be turned into handmade gun, right? Ban all the pipes!!! And ban matches too - just to stay in safe place!
Also, there's:
This makes japan a safer place domestically and internationally as recognized by peace loving people.
Well ... a Japanese maga. Who would have thought?
No Samurai swords?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

Yeah, well, guess I forgot about the internet. And, no, I've never fooled around with explosives other than ready made ones. I did always sort of like to have a sawed off double barrel shotgun, though. Just for self defense. Maybe an occasional night time blast of noise and fire, too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dumb pictures thread

Not a headline error, but still -

HARROWING HIKE Girl, 10, dies after falling 100 feet while hiking at Garden of the Gods

Tragic. Not to be disrespectful but Garden of the Gods Wilderness in the Shawnee National Forest in Southern Illinois looks spectacular.

Have you been there, GoCubsGo? However, what drew me to the article was this pic:

Wow, but it's Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, Colorado! :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dumb pictures fixed thread

Dear (Vrede too)

That picture has been changed. Thank you for contacting us about this.

Yours sincerely
Editorial Complaints
:thumbup:

Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Dumb pictures thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:41 pm

Have you been there, GoCubsGo? However, what drew me to the article was this pic:

Negative. Looks pretty but it's 350 miles from me. In the summertime I head north.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dumb pictures fixed thread

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:52 am
... Looks pretty but it's 350 miles from me....
Wow, IL is longer than I would have guessed. Not the spot for a day hike. It wouldn't even be worth a weekend visit for me if I lived in HP.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Dumb pictures fixed thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:15 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wow, IL is longer than I would have guessed. Not the spot for a day hike. It wouldn't even be worth a weekend visit for me if I lived in HP.
I can vouch for that. And I'm pretty sure northern Illinois and southern Illinois are in different states, maybe different countries.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:51 am
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I can vouch for that. And I'm pretty sure northern Illinois and southern Illinois are in different states, maybe different countries.
Good lord yes.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sort of like driving to Cape Hatteras for the weekend but instead of west to east it's north to south.

O Really
Admiral

No offence, but when we took I-24 N, hung out at the Land Between the Lakes for a while and then continued north, it took at least to Marion before we realized we weren't in Kentucky anymore. Stayed in a very nice state park at Ferne Clyffe, though.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:36 pm
No offence, but when we took I-24 N, hung out at the Land Between the Lakes for a while and then continued north, it took at least to Marion before we realized we weren't in Kentucky anymore. Stayed in a very nice state park at Ferne Clyffe, though.
No offense taken.

The only time I've ever approached (loosely) that part of the state is when I drove through going to Lake of the Ozarks.

O Really
Admiral

"Queen Elizabeth live updates: Public lines up to pay respects as queen lies in state"

"live updates" on a dead person. Just seems a bit thoughtless.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 am
"Queen Elizabeth live updates: Public lines up to pay respects as queen lies in state"

"live updates" on a dead person. Just seems a bit thoughtless.
God Save the Zombie Queen!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

And they're still talking about her in present tense, like, "Queen Elizabeth made her final journey..." Somewhat of a "Bernie" treatment. But at least she's not being stuffed and mounted like Stalin.

O Really
Admiral

Must be my lucky day for headlines:

"FBI Arrests Former Detective Accused Of Sexually Praying On Black Women"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:58 pm
Must be my lucky day for headlines:

"FBI Arrests Former Detective Accused Of Sexually Praying On Black Women"
:D Exclaiming, "Oh god, oh god, oh god," is illegal?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Not a headline, but still funny: Person on TV says "I'm a former federal prosecutor..." Closed Captions wrote "I'm a former feral prosecutor..."
Which as you think about it, could be true.