Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

"8-year-old dies on Christmas after North Carolina driver hit deer in Virginia, cops say."
A lot to unpack in that one. I thought it was some kind of magic shit but here's the story.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/8-old-dies-c ... 05777.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:49 pm
"8-year-old dies on Christmas after North Carolina driver hit deer in Virginia, cops say."
A lot to unpack in that one. I thought it was some kind of magic shit but here's the story.
Sad.
... At about 6 p.m., officials said a Honda Odyssey was going north on U.S. Route 29 when it hit a deer in the roadway.

“The crash investigation has determined that the Honda abruptly stopped due to the impact with the deer, a tractor-trailer traveling behind the minivan was unable to stop in time and rear-ended the minivan,” Virginia State Police said in a news release....
No, "the impact with the deer" didn't make the minivan stop, unless it was a John Deere. The driver braked.

I nearly had a similar tragedy decades ago. Was driving someone else's car at night on I-90 in the Midwest. I was in the left lane having just passed a semi in the right lane. A deer ran in front of me from the right. I braked and the deer almost made it but I clipped it with the left front bumper. This threw us into a spin. The car ended up on the RIGHT shoulder, with the semi on its side on the gentle slope off the right shoulder. We were fine, the hero semi driver was fine, our roof racked gear was strewn across the highway, but was fine, we broke a turn signal cover, and the semi probably had thousands of dollars in damage.

Lesson learned - Unless it's 100% safe DO NOT brake. Just plow right through the fuckin' deer.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:39 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sad.
... At about 6 p.m., officials said a Honda Odyssey was going north on U.S. Route 29 when it hit a deer in the roadway.

“The crash investigation has determined that the Honda abruptly stopped due to the impact with the deer, a tractor-trailer traveling behind the minivan was unable to stop in time and rear-ended the minivan,” Virginia State Police said in a news release....
No, "the impact with the deer" didn't make the minivan stop, unless it was a John Deere. The driver braked.

I nearly had a similar tragedy decades ago. Was driving someone else's car at night on I-90 in the Midwest. I was in the left lane having just passed a semi in the right lane. A deer ran in front of me from the right. I braked and the deer almost made it but I clipped it with the left front bumper. This threw us into a spin. The car ended up on the RIGHT shoulder, with the semi on its side on the gentle slope off the right shoulder. We were fine, the hero semi driver was fine, our roof racked gear was strewn across the highway, but was fine, we broke a turn signal cover, and the semi probably had thousands of dollars in damage.

Lesson learned - Unless it's 100% safe DO NOT brake. Just plow right through the fuckin' deer.
And the new headline:
Everybody dies when struck deer crashes through windshield
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:35 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:39 pm
... Lesson learned - Unless it's 100% safe DO NOT brake. Just plow right through the fuckin' deer.
And the new headline:
Everybody dies when struck deer crashes through windshield
It happens, rarely, but I'll still take my chances with a deer rather than a semi.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
I have hit deer twice in my life.

Once was in my old Plymouth, going around a hairpin turn on a favorite road in the hills. The deer ran straight down the hillside to the right, took a look at my car, and then jumped in front of it. Fortunately I had slowed for the turn (maybe 15 mph). The deer and the car collided. The deer proceeded to anoint the front of the car with a turd and ran off to the downward slope on the left. Other than the faecal flag, the car had, as I recall, no damage.

The other time was worse. I was on my motorcycle going up a very steep hill in town. The area to the right was an open field, with neck-high weeds. Again, I wasn't going all that fast, due to the steep slope. Then, as if on cue, a deer suddenly jumped out of the weeds and ran in front of the bike, catching the front wheel. The deer ran off chuckling as I picked myself and the bike off the pavement. No faecal flag that time, at least not that I could see. Relatively minor damage to bike and rider. Like scraped paint on front fender. I've had worse. Don't know about the deer, it disappeared. Probably with a big grin.

Oh deer.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've never hit a deer, but I've had to very rapidly give right-of-way to moose.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:15 pm
I've never hit a deer, but I've had to very rapidly give right-of-way to moose.
Yeah, a moose could stop a passenger car.

Plus, who'd want to hit Bullwinkle?

I forget exactly when the deer are most common on the roads in the hills around here. Might be spring. More likely in fall when they are mating.

O Really
Admiral

Not sure why this is news, except you don't see many bicycles wearing bikinis.

"Anna Kendrick Straddles Bicycle In Bikini"

https://www.inquisitr.com/10000517/anna ... -in-bikini

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:22 pm
Not sure why this is news ...
Pretty great news for the bicycle. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:15 pm
O Really wrote:
Yeah, maybe the headline wasn't dumb. After all, it got me with the "Anna Kendrick straddles..." :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:15 pm
O Really wrote:
Yeah, maybe the headline wasn't dumb. After all, it got me with the "Anna Kendrick straddles..." :lol:
Woof.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New Mexico State Police Shooting Update

Did this happen on the New Mexico State University campus?
Were campus cops involved
Did the police shoot someone?
Did someone die?

No no no and no. A state trooper was shot near Sedillo Hill, nowhere near Las Cruces.
https://news.yahoo.com/state-police-off ... 00077.html
The officer is in stable condition and the suspects have been arrested, btw, things also not mentioned in the misleading headline.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.insider.com/woman-donates-p ... ips-2022-2

"A 28-year-old woman is donating plasma twice a week to fund Disney World trips every month in 2022"

Selling blood is a donation. Who knew.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:18 pm

"A 28-year-old woman is donating plasma twice a week to fund Disney World trips every month in 2022"

To be fair, "donating/donations" are her words:
... "I was already donating plasma on and off, but I didn't realize how much money I was making from these donations," she said. "I realized that it benefits us in a way where we can enjoy doing something we love, while also helping other people." ...
Then, she's just using the plasma centers' phrasing. Hooterville:
EARN CASH. SAVE LIVES.

Plasma donors are compensated for their life-changing donation!

Donating plasma is safe and easy. Donating plasma can also take longer than donating blood and we know your time is valuable. To thank you for taking the time to donate life-saving plasma, you will be compensated at the end of every donation. ImmunoTek also offers free Wi-Fi and state-of-the-art televisions to provide entertainment while you donate!

As a new donor, you can earn hundreds of dollars a month by donating plasma.
That's a lot. Maybe I'll "donate".

Seems that someone has decided to confound donations with sales, perhaps as an appeal to the altruistic as well as the greedy. Maybe Insider shouldn't play along, though.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:18 pm

Huh.

I thought there was a limit on how much blood one could donate. Seems to me I read about a 45 day wait period before donating again. But maybe plasma has a shorter time period than whole blood?

She cra.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:39 pm
... She cra.
How so?
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:39 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Man Charged With Murdering Texas Nurse Discovered In Garage By Ex-Husband, Children

Sounds like the ex-husband and children caught the murderer, right? Nope.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Here's a good one.
Woman suing former Hamilton County deputy after he baptized her during traffic stop found dead

I guess the baptism didn't take. I don't know where Soddy Daisy TN is but may have to go there and straighten them out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-suing- ... 00703.html

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 pm
Here's a good one.
Woman suing former Hamilton County deputy after he baptized her during traffic stop found dead

I guess the baptism didn't take. I don't know where Soddy Daisy TN is but may have to go there and straighten them out.

I've been past Soddy Daisy - on US 27 north of Chattanooga. Can't say I noticed anything but the sign. Probably not worth your effort.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:52 pm
Here's a good one.

Let's hope the court saw fit to drop the lawsuit.