Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by Ulysses »

PS,

I think, but have not confirmed, that the grizzly hump is for storing fat for their long hibernation.

Don't know about Dr. Frankenstein's erstwhile assistant's hump, though.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:21 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:46 pm

And yes, you cannot tell by the color: black bears come in both brown and black.
Sure, but the grizzlies have the 'ump.
LOL, as I said:

"Without a profile shot that would show the grizzly bear's distinct hump (which black bears don't have), it's difficult to tell from the photo."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

PS-In the cancelled remake, the role played by Marty Feldman was going to be played by Al Gore.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Or, Lesley Gore...?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:31 am
PS,

I think, but have not confirmed, that the grizzly hump is for storing fat for their long hibernation.

Don't know about Dr. Frankenstein's erstwhile assistant's hump, though.
Opps.

"4. The grizzly bear hump is actually a large muscle. The most identifiable trait of a grizzly bear is the large hump on their shoulders, a powerful muscle they use to power their forelimbs through their daily routine. Grizzlies, known to dig more than any other bear species, spend inordinate amounts of time ripping through the earth and tearing apart rotted logs in search of roots, plant bulbs, insects, rodents, and other grubs. Their massive hump is also the muscle powering them as they dig out winter dens, often in steep and rocky mountain terrain."

http://www.bearsmart.com/blog/7-little- ... ear-facts/

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Also [ibid]:

"3. Grizzly front claws can be up to 4-inches in length, claws as long as human fingers! It is highly advisable you avoid these. "

The claws on a black bear are much shorter, and more suited for tree climbing.

You know, to get at that Pooh Bear Honey.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:06 am
Also [ibid]:

"3. Grizzly front claws can be up to 4-inches in length, claws as long as human fingers! It is highly advisable you avoid these. "

The claws on a black bear are also more suited for privacy fence and car climbing as well as making slightly unnerving impressions along the beach.

https://weartv.com/news/local/bear-caug ... osa-county
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:45 am
Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:06 am
Also [ibid]:

The claws on a black bear are also more suited for privacy fence and car climbing as well as making slightly unnerving impressions along the beach.

Yes, I have a set of black bear claw scratches on the roof of my '64 car after parking it in Yosemite (at White Wolf) for a week while I hiked the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. No food in the car, the bear perhaps was just curious. Still have the car, on non-op now. I considered the claw marks a bonus.

I also remember seeing a black bear at a distance while hiking up out of the canyon along the river falls. There are a set of deep blue water pools in the granite river bed, and it's one of my favorite spots. However I've resisted the urge to dive in. Cause you can't see the bottom and the edge of the pools is a precipitous drop. Anyway, I had taken a break along the trail, took out my penny whistle flute, and was playing an Irish jig on it when I saw the bear. It seemed to be enjoying the music. I could swear it was grinning. But it didn't dance, darn it. Of course I stopped as soon as I saw the bear, and it crossed the river on the granite falls and disappeared.

I would always hang my food high on a tree branch a safe distance from the tree trunk. Cause you know, even black bears have big appetites.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ooooh, my post of biologic, journalistic and semantic accuracy provoked an unread 7-post tantrum of humiliated whining. Victory! Maybe I should cut him "some slack" because of his disability, though.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:45 am

Griz shreds both and doesn’t do “slightly unnerving".
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Surrender to antisemetism': Israeli officials condemn Ben & Jerry's stopping sales in West Bank

If the right-wing Washington Examiner is going to inaccurately whine about antisemitism when it’s really anti-Israeli policy, their headline editor should learn how to spell it. It is spelled correctly in the article, and the SpellCheck here even shows the headline as being wrong. The error has been up for 16 hours. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Dumb priorities thread

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:14 am
'Surrender to antisemetism': Israeli officials condemn Ben & Jerry's stopping sales in West Bank

If the right-wing Washington Examiner is going to inaccurately whine about antisemitism when it’s really anti-Israeli policy, their headline editor should learn how to spell it. It is spelled correctly in the article, and the SpellCheck here even shows the headline as being wrong. The error has been up for 16 hours. :roll:

"Gilad Erdan, Israel’s ambassador to the United States, tweeted that he’d written to 35 governors of U.S. states that have legislation against the boycott of Israel, calling on them to impose sanctions against Ben & Jerry’s.

“We view this decision very severely as it is the de-facto adoption of anti-Semitic practices and advancement of the de-legitimization of the Jewish state and the de-humanization of the Jewish people,” he wrote in the letter,"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ben- ... t-n1274456
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Dumb priorities thread

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:30 am
"Gilad Erdan, Israel’s ambassador to the United States, tweeted that he’d written to 35 governors of U.S. states that have legislation against the boycott of Israel, calling on them to impose sanctions against Ben & Jerry’s.

“We view this decision very severely as it is the de-facto adoption of anti-Semitic practices and advancement of the de-legitimization of the Jewish state and the de-humanization of the Jewish people,” he wrote in the letter,"

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ben- ... t-n1274456
Yeah, you have a good point that the still misspelled headline ( :roll: ) is relatively minor stupidity compared to the excessive and dishonest reaction to a human rights based business decision.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Looks like if you steal somebody's land or house, you don't get any ice cream. I don't see what the big deal is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:07 pm
Looks like if you steal somebody's land or house, you don't get any ice cream. I don't see what the big deal is.
It also may be that Ben & Jerry’s will continue to be sold in the occupied territories by a non-Israeli company, but that's yet to be sorted out.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:23 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
It also may be that Ben & Jerry’s will continue to be sold in the occupied territories by a non-Israeli company, but that's yet to be sorted out.
Meanwhile, the GQP clowns, who profess to abhor nothing more than the concept of "cancel culture" are falling over themselves to voice their rabid zeal to "cancel" Ben & Jerry's. Hilarious.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:50 am
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Meanwhile, the GQP clowns, who profess to abhor nothing more than the concept of "cancel culture" are falling over themselves to voice their rabid zeal to "cancel" Ben & Jerry's. Hilarious.
Some head food blesser is refusing to do whatever it is that they do to make food okie dokie to eat without pissing off the god-fairy

They gonna Cancel Ben and Jerry too.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:15 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:50 am
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Some head food blesser is refusing to do whatever it is that they do to make food okie dokie to eat without pissing off the god-fairy

They gonna Cancel Ben and Jerry too.
They might be getting ready to cancel the entire country.....I just read a news story that says Mich McConnell and his cult will oppose raising the debt ceiling, which, if not raised, will result in the nation defaulting on its obligations. Evidently they're still under the illusion that the US government can actually run out of money.....it cannot run out of money unless forced to by lunatic stunts like this. Somebody better tell Ulysses that if the GQP follows through with this scheme he can kiss his market "assets" goodbye.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

He went door to door for work — then man kills Indiana woman who was beheaded, cops say

Is that really how the cops said it? If so, I'm amazed that she was still alive and wonder if he was just putting her out of her headless misery.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:35 pm
He went door to door for work — then man kills Indiana woman who was beheaded, cops say

Is that really how the cops said it? If so, I'm amazed that she was still alive and wonder if he was just putting her out of her headless misery.
Botched cop and headline aside, that's gruesome.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"R. Kelly jury to hear how he illegally wed underage Aaliyah at his sex-trafficking trial"

Damn, a wedding during a trial. Efficient.