College football

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College football

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:47 am
Oh no. Our new AD has nixed Freeze and is now looking at Dabboooo.
He's a fucking bammer who constantly critizes Auburn and would drop us in a flash if offered Sabin's job.
Gee, it would be just terrible if Da Boo left the ACC for the SEC and left Upstate SC for east AL 240 more miles away, terrible I say. :P
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:08 am
GO:

10:30 PM EST
(13) Washington 9-2 (-2) > @Washington State 7-4, TV: ESPN, GO Lady O!
51-33 after scoring 16-0 in the 4th! Yayyy, but it did put Utah into the Pac-12 Championship game over Oregon :( . Anyhow, it's the Ducks' own fault for choking so ugly vs OR St.

11:00 PM EST
@Stanford 3-8 > BYU 6-5 (-6.5), TV: FS1
Good day for the Mormon state, dammit. Real Jesus is failing us. 26-35.

FCS Playoff, 10:00 PM EST
GO @Montana 7-4 > Southeast Missouri State 9-2, TV: ESPN2 - Cool, I get to watch, GO Griz!
Montana was down 3-24 in the 3rd. Game over, right? Montana scores 21 unanswered to tie the game before the end of the 3rd, including both a KO and punt returned for TDs, then adds 10 more in the 4th. 34-24, one of the all-time epic Griz games. :clap: :clap: :clap:
GO:

Fri, 12/2

1:00 PM EST
@Buffalo 5-6 > Akron 2-9, TV: CBSS :x Snow make up game for Nov 19.

8:00 PM
(6) USC > (14) Utah in Las Vegas, TV: FOX
Possible Playoffs at stake for USC.

Sat, 12/3

12:00 PM
(12) Kansas State 9-3 > (4) TCU 12-0 (-2.5) in Arlington, TX, TV: ABC
Sorry, RW god, not sorry. Possible Playoffs at stake for TCU. Game of the weekend?

4:00 PM EST
(5) LSU 9-3 > (1) Georgia 12-0 (-19.5 :shock: ) in Atlanta, TV: CBS. As if.
Possible Playoffs at stake for Georgia. Game of the weekend?

8:00 PM EST
(17) North Carolina 9-3 > (8) Clemson 10-2 (-7) in Charlotte, TV: ABC
Find your inner Chickens, Tar Heels.
Purdue 8-4 > (3) Michigan 12-0 (-14.5) in Indianapolis, TV: FOX
Possible Playoffs at stake for Michigan.

Whose brilliant idea is it to schedule the ACC and Big Ten Championships for the same time?

FCS
Saturday, December 3

(seeds, not rankings)

12:00 PM
New Hampshire 9-3 > @(8) Holy Cross 11-0, TV ESPN+ :x

2:00 PM
Furman 10-2 > @(7) Incarnate Word 10-1, TV ESPN+ :x

3:00 PM
@(4) Montana State 10-1 > Weber State 10-2, TV ESPN+ :x GO Bobcats!
Delaware 8-4 > @(1) South Dakota State 10-1, TV ESPN+ :x As if.

3:30 PM
Montana 8-4 > @(3) North Dakota State 9-2, TV: ESPN+ :x GO Griz!

4:00 PM
SWAC Championship Game

@Jackson State 11-0 > Southern 7-4, TV: ESPN2, GoDeionGo
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

May I present the new coach of the Auburn Tigers football team - WDE!

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/as-auburn- ... 04515.html

Or maybe opps.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:48 pm

Or maybe opps.
for all his faults at least he's not lane kiffin
:D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:36 pm
O Really wrote:

Or maybe opps.
I can forgive NCAA violations. I don't care who got a new car or whose parents got new jobs. I don't care if potential recruits are turned over to the Tri-Delt house for the weekend. And I don't really care if he's chasing floozies. But I find his lying and misrepresentation to the kids and their parents, blaming the former coach and getting the players locked into a program they weren't aware of should be grounds of being banned for any coaching job ever.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:54 pm
I can forgive NCAA violations. I don't care who got a new car or whose parents got new jobs. I don't care if potential recruits are turned over to the Tri-Delt house for the weekend. And I don't really care if he's chasing floozies. But I find his lying and misrepresentation to the kids and their parents, blaming the former coach and getting the players locked into a program they weren't aware of should be grounds of being banned for any coaching job ever.
It's from a forum so might be :bs: , but I'm sure that more than one recruit or player is considering withdrawing:
My coworker's kid just pulled his commitment to Auburn.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Portal season will be fun. Lot of top and second tier programs would like some of those Auburn players. Rumor has it the Ducks have been happy with the Tiger they bought. Or would that be Ducks has been happy. :roll:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:36 pm
O Really wrote:

Or maybe opps.
I plead some ignorance on Freeze, but after seeing what has been done to Pearl by an extremely minor infraction at Tennessee followed by lying about it I see that people can change. We'll see about Freeze, but I think it’s too late for Dan Wetzel. He's a guilty by association idiot, as his attacks on Pearl showed after an assistant coach paid two players a couple of thousand dollars and he wrote that Pearl should go to prison for his assistant coach's infraction as he did for Pearl's impermissible bbq while at Tennessee.

I don't follow all the news, but fanatical sports son says that 2 have left the portal and returned.

I'm hoping freeze has changed. It can happen.

Someone said something about Hugh blaming Nutt. I thought that was the NCAA. Whatever, Nutt or his staff were changing recruits grades so they could get into college. Seems to me that if you'd change a undereducated kid's grades to get him in you'd have to help him with his class work.
So maybe Huge was following established ol miss policy and screwed up and screwed up big time, but hasn't he paid enough? Does he never get a second chance? Never says Dan Wetzel.
I understated that Pearl is extremely careful these days, maybe the same will be true here, but as long as the allegations are bs and he wins games and beats bammer he's got my support.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:13 pm
O Really wrote:
It's from a forum so might be :bs: , but I'm sure that more than one recruit or player is considering withdrawing:
I guess they were big Harsin fans. Probably liked the way Harsin ran Bo off of the team, leaving us without a passing offense.

Of course we'll have a recruiting gap. That's fairly typical of coaching changes.

Give him at least a couple of years.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 am
Portal season will be fun. Lot of top and second tier programs would like some of those Auburn players. Rumor has it the Ducks have been happy with the Tiger they bought. Or would that be Ducks has been happy. :roll:
Was there anything improper about Bo becoming a Duck?
idk

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm
Vrede too wrote:
I guess they were big Harsin fans. Probably liked the way Harsin ran Bo off of the team, leaving us without a passing offense.

Of course we'll have a recruiting gap. That's fairly typical of coaching changes.

Harsin turned out to be a poor coach and his Blufield culture was wrong for Auburn, but AFAIK he didn't have Freeze's ethical issues, not the least of which IMO is coaching RW xtian Liberty. My guess is that IF Auburn loses recruits or players this will be he reason rather than Freeze's so-so coaching quality.

That 49-14 loss to 4-6 NM St 2 days before getting hired is not a good omen for Auburn.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:10 pm
O Really wrote:
idk
Not that I know of.

O Really
Admiral

I only know what I read, and don't necessarily believe much of that - at least in total. But as to whether a guy deserves a second (or third) chance, depends to me it seems on whether we're talking behaviour or character. There are some who believe in the philosophy "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." But knowingly and intentionally lying to a kid to keep him trapped takes a character flaw that probably isn't going to go away even with the heat of a Liberty Flame.

But really - weren't there any good non-controversial coaches out there that would be interested in Auburn?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:10 pm
O Really wrote:
idk
Not that I know of.
"the Tiger they bought" I guess I don't understand

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:38 pm
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Harsin turned out to be a poor coach and his Blufield culture was wrong for Auburn, but AFAIK he didn't have Freeze's ethical issues, not the least of which IMO is coaching RW xtian Liberty. My guess is that IF Auburn loses recruits or players this will be he reason rather than Freeze's so-so coaching quality.

That 49-14 loss to 4-6 NM St 2 days before getting hired is not a good omen for Auburn.
"coaching RW xtian Liberty" is a problem for me, but I'm not aware of a college football program in the south, that doesn't push jesus, especially the African American moms and dads.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:20 pm
I only know what I read, and don't necessarily believe much of that - at least in total. But as to whether a guy deserves a second (or third) chance, depends to me it seems on whether we're talking behaviour or character. There are some who believe in the philosophy "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying." But knowingly and intentionally lying to a kid to keep him trapped takes a character flaw that probably isn't going to go away even with the heat of a Liberty Flame.

But really - weren't there any good non-controversial coaches out there that would be interested in Auburn?
My choice was Cadillac, but that was probably mostly emotional after watching his enthusiasm in the last 3 games. But honestly he doesn't have the experience.
The program staff, boosters and fans wanted a head coach with solid sec experience.

Enlighten me, I've never heard of this:
"knowingly and intentionally lying to a kid to keep him trapped"
Is that like sabin grayshirting so many players to keep them from signing with other teams that the sec had to step in with a New Rule?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I sure hope this guy is rewarded with a head coaching job in a few years and is Auburn's next head coach even with his mumbo jumbo about jesus

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:

"coaching RW xtian Liberty" is a problem for me, but I'm not aware of a college football program in the south, that doesn't push jesus, especially the African American moms and dads.
Not my brand of bubblegum, but I can't much fault individual player, parent and coach religious choices. I have a bigger problem with RW xtian institutions like Liberty, TCU, BYU, Baylor, ORU and similar madrassas.
I don't have as much of an issue with SMU and the Methodists.
By definition, Catholics are misogynist, but they push it to varying degrees and some orders can be otherwise quite progressive.
Then, it bothers me more that Liberty is a tax exempt front for a political org.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Not my brand of bubblegum, but I can't much fault individual player, parent and coach religious choices. I have a bigger problem with RW xtian institutions like Liberty, TCU, BYU, Baylor, ORU and similar madrassas.
I don't have as much of an issue with SMU and the Methodists.
By definition, Catholics are misogynist, but they push it to varying degrees and some orders can be otherwise quite progressive.
Then, it bothers me more that Liberty is a tax exempt front for a political org.
Didn't the Methodist just split because of (I don't pay attention) racial, or gender issues.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:29 pm

Enlighten me, I've never heard of this:
"knowingly and intentionally lying to a kid to keep him trapped"
Is that like sabin grayshirting so many players to keep them from signing with other teams that the sec had to step in with a New Rule?
It was in the Wetzel article. May or may not be totally accurate, but sounds likely.
Back up to January 2016, and Ole Miss was about to get slammed by the NCAA with 15 Level I violations in the program. Freeze knew it would be bad because he was in the middle of it, eventually hit with a “lack of institutional control” charge and given a one-year “show-cause” penalty.

At the time, however, the details were still secret. Freeze was concerned that if the depth of the violations and likely sanctions became public, some of his players might transfer. After all, Ole Miss was about to take on a two-year postseason ban, not to mention a loss of scholarships.

Further, members of the Rebels recruiting class might get nervous and switch their verbal commitments before signing binding letters of intent.

Freeze knew the program couldn’t risk his players, recruits or their families from knowing the truth of what was coming.

So Ole Miss chose to deceive them.

The athletic department orchestrated a massive misinformation campaign by repeatedly supplying the media with off-the-record lies about what was at the heart of the NCAA case.

The school kept telling anyone with a keyboard or a microphone that most of the major violations occurred under former coach Houston Nutt, not Freeze. As such, the story went, the Rebels would be able to avoid significant sanctions.

This was not true, though. The vast majority of the violations came under Freeze, not Nutt. Freeze knew the truth. So did Ole Miss.

Still, the plan went forward. Part of it was in the media, and part of it was Freeze reportedly lying directly to players and recruits and families who asked him about it. He stared right into their eyes and told them the lie.

The goal was obvious: trick everyone who believed in Hugh Freeze, who trusted Hugh Freeze, who gave their blood, sweat and tears to Hugh Freeze until, when the truth came out later via the NCAA infractions report, it was either too late or too difficult for them to transfer.

Remember, this was before the NCAA had its more forgiving transfer portal program.

This was about trapping them.

It’s a brutal and cutthroat thing to do to your own players and their parents, but hey, that’s the choice Hugh Freeze and Ole Miss made.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:14 pm
Didn't the Methodist just split because of (I don't pay attention) racial, or gender issues.
I think there are a few factions. Idk which team SMU is on.
1312. ETTD.