Re: College football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:18 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:45 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:51 pm
DC Coach Mason leaving for a lesser job indicates something serious.
Considering where he's from, my 1st guess would be that he's talking down to people or worse.
Clearly something is very wrong, but racism MAY not be the issue. Fwiw, northern Rockies and Plains football and basketball teams often have a bunch of imported Blacks. Sometimes, it seems like they're the only Blacks one sees on campus.
Right or wrong - he's gone

12 million and Auburn has to say that he didn't do anything wrong.
Weird - now, from the same site I get this,

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers ... from-here/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Dump his ass. He won't be worth the constant drama.
“Certainly, I’m the right man for the job. There’s no doubt about it. No one is going to have a better plan than I do, but we’ve got to change some things. This place is not going to be a championship program until we change some things. You’ve got to let the head coach be the head coach and support him.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

I believe you but am unable to google it. Do you have an inside source?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:39 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I believe you but am unable to google it. Do you have an inside source?
Me too.

The link I posted is all I've gotten since.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:42 pm
Me too.

I didn't even see that. Your notification took me to the prior page and I didn't notice that you started a new page :oops: . Sounds like his firing MAY be speculative/wishful at the moment. As you say, without defensible cause it could be very expensive for Auburn to dump him.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:09 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:42 pm
Me too.

I didn't even see that. Your notification took me to the prior page and I didn't notice that you started a new page :oops: . Sounds like his firing MAY be speculative/wishful at the moment. As you say, without defensible cause it could be very expensive for Auburn to dump him.
Statement from AU - condensed for context

Auburn is judiciously collecting information
and moving swiftly to Decisions regarding the future of Auburn Athletics programs in the interests of bla bla bla we ain't there yet

https://www.on3.com/teams/auburn-tigers ... l-program/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:30 pm

and moving swiftly to Decisions regarding the future of Auburn Athletics programs in the interests of bla bla bla we ain't there yet

bla bla bla = Can our lawyers come up with some way to fire him for cause, or can we negotiate the contractual hit down, or can we convince our boosters to cover the pain?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:15 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

bla bla bla = Can our lawyers come up with some way to fire him for cause, or can we negotiate the contractual hit down, or can we convince our boosters to cover the pain?
Bingo

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: to vet or not to vet

It looks like Auburn chose not to

https://247sports.com/college/boise-sta ... 173385302/

"Why? It boils down largely to former head coach Bryan Harsin. Don’t get me wrong, the current coaching staff is to blame for the game day hiccups and lack of attention to details, but the lack of talent at the two most important position groups on a team can be directly traced back to Harsin and his staff.

For years we have heard rumors that he is a jerk and difficult to work for. The revolving door of assistant coaches who have worked for him, the emails obtained through FOIA requests, and the comments from former coaches all confirm this point."

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:45 am

For years we have heard rumors that he is a jerk and difficult to work for. The revolving door of assistant coaches who have worked for him, the emails obtained through FOIA requests, and the comments from former coaches all confirm this point."
I doesn't have to be rumours. I don't know much of anything about the guy except for what I've recently read regarding Auburn, and it's clear from his own remarks that he is a jerk and difficult to work for. Really, whoever was in charge of coach recruiting should be sacked too, along with anybody with major impact on his hiring.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/boise-sta ... 173385302/ ...
Idk but I think it's more likely that Auburn knew he is an asshole and ignored it because they think he's a winner.

Good guys can be given some slack when they lose, but assholes get rapidly dumped. The same is true for ADs. Which kind does Auburn have?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:33 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/boise-sta ... 173385302/ ...
Idk but I think it's more likely that Auburn knew he is an asshole and ignored it because they think he's a winner.

Good guys can be given some slack when they lose, but assholes get rapidly dumped. The same is true for ADs. Which kind does Auburn have?
I don't know much about him, except that he might lose his job too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:02 pm
I wondered. Seems someone should pay for the Harsin fiasco.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:35 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:02 pm
I wondered. Seems someone should pay for the Harsin fiasco.
I'm guessing the football team will be doing that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:19 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:15 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Bingo
Looks like the answers are no, no and no. What a mess!
Sources: Auburn expected to retain head football coach Bryan Harsin after inquiry into program

... At the root of the inquiry, sources said, was the overall volatility in the program and Harsin's treatment of players and assistant coaches. Auburn closed the 2021 season on a five-game losing streak, and after finishing 17th nationally (eighth in the SEC) in ESPN's early signing day rankings in December, the Tigers didn't sign any players in the February signing period.

"This is where I want to be. This is what I want to do," Harsin told ESPN last week. "That's why I came here. I didn't come here to fail. We've got to build something, and right now, I feel like when you hear some of these things that there's a lot of things building against me.

"Certainly, I'm the right man for the job. There's no doubt about it. No one is going to have a better plan than I do, but we've got to change some things. This place is not going to be a championship program until we change some things. You've got to let the head coach be the head coach and support him."

Sources told ESPN that the school was looking into whether or not there was reason to fire Harsin for cause. According to his contract, he would have been owed $18.3 million or 70% of the remaining five years on his deal if he were fired without cause. Half that money -- $9.15 million -- would have been due in 30 days, the other half coming in four quarterly payments that would start on July 15.

Even if Harsin were to be fired without cause following the 2022 season, Auburn would still owe him a ton of money -- nearly $15 million.

Harsin was resolute last week when speaking to ESPN and committed to carrying on at Auburn despite all the scrutiny. A firing for cause would have likely ended up in a protracted and thorny legal battle and potentially exposed Auburn officials to the discovery process.

"Any attack on my character is bulls---," Harsin said. "None of that is who I am." ...

In firing former coach Gus Malzahn following the 2020 season, Auburn paid him $21.45 million in buyout money. That's after giving him a seven-year, $49 million deal following the 2017 season, when the Tigers played in the SEC championship game. Had Auburn paid Harsin's full buyout, the school would have committed nearly $40 million to head coaches not to coach in the last 14 months, an astounding amount of money in a space where exorbitant buyouts have become normalized.

Sources familiar with the situation told ESPN that athletic director Allen Greene was not a significant presence in the inquiry of Harsin. Greene has nearly 11 months remaining on his five-year contract, as he's the rare major college athletic director to be in the final year of his contract. It's even more rare for a major college athletic director to have little say in the fate of a coach, as Greene didn't have significant input on the firing of Malzahn after the 2020 season, sources told ESPN....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

A mess for sure.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/aubur ... se-report/

"The university is looking into the football program, which has lost 18 players and 5 assistant coaches since the end of Harsin’s first season"
This doesn't reflect those who might have stayed, but elected to go to the NFL a year early.

Coach Bluefield scored exactly zero of the top 15 running backs. As his wife said a couple of days ago, who needs these 4 and 5 star players, my husband is looking for bla bla bla

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/N ... 182637400/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:29 pm
A mess for sure.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/aubur ... se-report/

"The university is looking into the football program, which has lost 18 players and 5 assistant coaches since the end of Harsin’s first season"
This doesn't reflect those who might have stayed, but elected to go to the NFL a year early.

Coach Bluefield scored exactly zero of the top 15 running backs. As his wife said a couple of days ago, who needs these 4 and 5 star players, my husband is looking for bla bla bla

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/N ... 182637400/
So, where are they going?

SEC
14. Trevor Etienne - Florida
13. Tavorus Jones - Missouri
6. Jamarion Miller - Alabama (West Division, same as Auburn)
5. Le’Veon Moss - Texas A&M (West Division, same as Auburn)
4. Brandon Robinson - Georgia
2. Emmanuel Henderson - Alabama (2 of them!). He's from Hartford, AL, close to you and closer to Auburn than Tuscaloosa. :(

SEC soon
15. Jaydon Blue - Texas
10. Jovantae Barnes - Oklahoma
7. Gavin Sawchuk - Oklahoma (2 of them!)

Ouch. 9 of the top 15, including 5 of the top 7.

Big 10
12. Kaytron Allen - Penn State (East Division, same as MD, ut-oh)
1. Nicholas Singleton - Penn State (2 of them!)

ACC
11. Omarion Hampton - North Carolina
9. TreVonte’ Citizen - Miami
8. George Pettaway - North Carolina (2 of them! Didn't they google?)

PAC 12
3. Raleek Brown - USC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Way too long. How hard could it be? They're just dragging feet.
Some deep-pocketed sports fan ought to sponsor a competing tournament.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:06 pm
Way too long. How hard could it be? They're just dragging feet.
Some deep-pocketed sports fan ought to sponsor a competing tournament.
Change is scary.

"after" - immediately after, sometime after, neverafter?