Failed prohibition

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Failed prohibition

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:19 am
I would have guessed that Georgia and Michigan would have been red.
Ain't it funny the way our media informs.
Scroll down. They define it by 2020 POTUS vote alone, no matter how narrow, and don't make accommodation for what you or I might call purple overall.

Not exactly "media" - About Third Way.
EDIT :doh: : Never mind, I see that you're sharing in Third Way's criticism of MSM. I agree.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:52 am
Whack9 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:25 am
Columbia SC police to start cracking down in Delta 8

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/art ... 96383.html
Good to know that SC police have so much spare time on their hands. Oh wait, SC has the 6th worst murder rate in the US. :headscratch:
https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-red ... er-problem

Maybe those with violent tendencies should be given MORE Delta 8.
I like how the sheriff says there's no laws being broken. As in there's no laws on the books saying delta 8 is illegal, but that the state attorney general issued an opinion that it's illegal. I'm not a lawyer-man but to me it seems like they have no grounds to go after people selling delta 8?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:05 pm
I like how the sheriff says there's no laws being broken. As in there's no laws on the books saying delta 8 is illegal, but that the state attorney general issued an opinion that it's illegal. I'm not a lawyer-man but to me it seems like they have no grounds to go after people selling delta 8?
-0-? I believe that attorney general opinions are valid until a court overturns hem.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:40 pm
Whack9 wrote:
-0-? I believe that attorney general opinions are valid until a court overturns hem.
Aw shit. I thought he was just the main lawyer-man of the land, I didn't know the AG had that kind of power. So maybe it is illegal in SC.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:40 pm
Whack9 wrote:
-0-? I believe that attorney general opinions are valid until a court overturns them.
Aw shit. I thought he was just the main lawyer-man of the land, I didn't know the AG had that kind of power. So maybe it is illegal in SC.
There's always . . . South Dakota?

Recreational marijuana is illegal in South Dakota, but its high-inducing cousins are widespread
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is new to me:
Apology letter found after US citizens killed in Mexico

A letter claiming to be from the Mexican drug cartel blamed for abducting four Americans and killing two of them condemned the violence and said the gang turned over to authorities its own members who were responsible.

In a letter obtained by The Associated Press through a Tamaulipas state law enforcement source, the Scorpions faction of the Gulf cartel apologized to the residents of Matamoros where the Americans were kidnapped, the Mexican woman who died in the cartel shootout, and the four Americans and their families....

“We have decided to turn over those who were directly involved and responsible in the events, who at all times acted under their own decision-making and lack of discipline," the letter reads, adding that those individuals had gone against the cartel's rules, which include "respecting the life and well-being of the innocent.”

A photograph of five men face down on the pavement and bound accompanied the letter, which was shared with The Associated Press by the source on condition that they remain anonymous because they were not authorized to share the document.

State officials did not immediately publicly confirm having new suspects in custody.

A separate state security official said that five men had been found tied up inside one of the vehicles that authorities had been searching for, along with the letter....
:shock:
:clap: , I guess.
Last Friday, four Americans crossed into Matamoros from Texas so that one of them could have cosmetic surgery.
I've always thought that cosmetic surgery is too dangerous.
... On Tuesday, U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland blamed the drug cartels for the Americans' deaths.
Okay, but I also blame the failed US drug prohibition that created and sustains the cartels.
... The Americans told investigators they were taken to the clinic in an ambulance to receive first aid, the statement said....
Again :clap: , I guess.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So Montana passed a (likely) unlawful and (likely) unenforceable ban on Tik Tok in the state. According to the Montana Attorney General,

"I think Montana's got an opportunity here to be a leader," Knudsen, a Republican, told a House committee in March. He says the app is a tool used by the Chinese government to spy on Montanans.

So Vrede, as our token "Montanan" what is it you guys are up to of such interest to the Chinese? Maybe they're checking to see if Ted Turner is still alive and buying any more land?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:25 pm
So Montana passed a (likely) unlawful and (likely) unenforceable ban on Tik Tok in the state. According to the Montana Attorney General,

"I think Montana's got an opportunity here to be a leader," Knudsen, a Republican, told a House committee in March. He says the app is a tool used by the Chinese government to spy on Montanans.

So Vrede, as our token "Montanan" what is it you guys are up to of such interest to the Chinese? Maybe they're checking to see if Ted Turner is still alive and buying any more land?
With native son David Lynch leaving when he was two months old, and the Aber Day Kegger and Testicle Festival getting shut down by Karens, I'll guess Ag output and vulnerabilities, Rocky Mountain Laboratories (research on maximum containment pathogens) . . . oh, and the 100 or so ICBMs.

More seriously, I have mixed feelings on TikTok bans.
I don't trust anyone with personal data, I'm not registered with TikTok, and China is on the brink of becoming a real adversary where mischief could be done.
Otoh, the personal data cat is out of the bag, TikTok is wildly popular with Americans and I've enjoyed watching many of its clips.
On the other other hand, if TikTok is banned someone else will step up to bring us teen girls dancing, frat beer pong and Karens going wild while hoovering up personal data. No great loss.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The anti-poppy Taliban is restoring the major hit to the opiate trade that existed prior to the 2001 invasion by the US, something not observed by either the US and its puppets or by the occupied Taliban in the intervening 2 decades+:

No Alternative: Afghan Farmers Lament Taliban Poppy Ban

May not matter as much now that synthetic opiates are so prevalent. I'm not sure how the Taliban feel about hashish.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unscientific WLOS TV (Asheville and WNC) online poll:

What type of Marijuana should N.C. legalize?
Medicinal 12 %
Adult Use 78 %
None 10 %

:thumbup: 8-)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Singapore hangs 2nd citizen in 3 weeks for trafficking cannabis despite calls to halt executions

... The 37-year-old man was executed after his last-ditch bid to reopen his case was dismissed by the court Tuesday without a hearing, said activist Kokila Annamalai of the Transformative Justice Collective, which advocates for abolishing the death penalty in Singapore.

The man, who was not named as his family has asked for privacy, had been imprisoned for seven years and convicted in 2019 for trafficking around 1.5 kilograms (3.3 pounds) of cannabis, she said.
:o That's nothing. I've done that yet was never a big time dealer.
... Under Singapore laws, trafficking more than 500 grams (1.1 pounds) of cannabis may result in the death penalty.
:angry-banghead:
... Some 60 prisoners are on death row in the city-state, mostly for drug-related offenses, she added.

Singapore executed 11 people last year for drug offenses after a two-year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The hanging of one particular Malaysian believed to be mentally disabled sparked an international outcry and brought the country's capital punishment under scrutiny for flouting human rights norms.

Three weeks ago, Singaporean Tangaraju Suppiah, 46, was hanged in the first execution this year for trafficking 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of cannabis although he was not caught with the drugs. Prosecutors said phone numbers traced him as the person responsible for coordinating the delivery of the drugs, which he denied.

Human rights groups, British mogul Richard Branson and the United Nations have urged Singapore to halt executions for drug-related offenses as increasing evidence shows the death penalty is ineffective as a deterrent. But Singapore authorities insist that all prisoners get due process of law and that capital punishment remains “part of Singapore’s comprehensive harm prevention strategy which targets both drug demand and supply.”
State killing is "harm prevention"? :wtf:
Apart from Singapore, Amnesty International said Indonesia carried out 112 drug-related executions last year by firing squad after a hiatus since 2016.
:puke-left:
In contrast, neighboring Thailand has legalized cannabis while Malaysia has ended the mandatory death penalty for serious crimes.
:clap: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nothing like calling extreme attention to the DRUGS you're smuggling:

Cocaine labeled with swastika (and "Hitler") seized in Peru (video)

And, it was en route to Belgium! :wtf: Smart.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is why they call it 'dope':
GPS error leads to 60-year-old American's arrest at Canada border with 400 pounds of marijuana

A 60-year-old California man was arrested at the Canadian border last week with about 400 pounds of cannabis and more than $600,000 cash in his car, according to law enforcement.

Andrew Lee Toppenberg, of Tustin, California, mistakenly ended up at Canada's Rainbow Bridge border crossing in Niagara Falls, Ontario after following GPS coordinates that were entered incorrectly, according to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police....
Forget the GPS, there's tons of warning that one is approaching the border and plenty of opportunity to turn around. Dope.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

When he got out of the car, he rubbed his palms on the front of his pant legs and said "I meant to do that." The crowd burst into applause.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:25 pm
When he got out of the car, he rubbed his palms on the front of his pant legs and said "I meant to do that." The crowd burst into applause.
:laughing-rolling:

He Tried to Save a Friend. They Charged Him With Murder.

Heartbreaking. Read the article, it's not an aberration thanks to the fascist prohibitionists.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:02 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:25 pm
:laughing-rolling:

He Tried to Save a Friend. They Charged Him With Murder.

Heartbreaking. Read the article, it's not an aberration thanks to the fascist abolitionists.
I wouldn't cry if OK was kicked out of the union. In fact, I'd probably sit out on the porch with a Budweiser and be perfectly content sitting there reading from the book of Revelation and wondering why it doesn't predict a plague of ignorant vengeful yahoos wreaking havoc on most everything that used to be normal. That whole thing made me think of how it was in the wild west, except there weren't any Indians to fuck over in any of this. They probably did that later.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:54 pm
I wouldn't cry if OK was kicked out of the union. In fact, I'd probably sit out on the porch with a Budweiser and be perfectly content sitting there reading from the book of Revelation and wondering why it doesn't predict a plague of ignorant vengeful yahoos wreaking havoc on most everything that used to be normal. That whole thing made me think of how it was in the wild west, except there weren't any Indians to fuck over in any of this. They probably did that later.
:thumbup: With a sizeable Indian population I think pretty much everything the OK chrisofascists do fucks over Indians. :(

Opps, I meant 'fascist prohibitionists' above, fixed now. I must have been high. ;) 8-)
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:06 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:54 pm
:thumbup: With a sizeable Indian population I think pretty much everything the OK chrisofascists do fucks over Indians. :(

Opps, I meant 'fascist prohibitionists' above, fixed now. I must have been high. ;) 8-)
JJ Cale had a song "If You're Ever In Oklahoma" and he apparently didn't think much of it. So far I've got a perfect record of not being there.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Bunch of bars have been closing down here in the Upstate

https://www.wyff4.com/article/rising-li ... l/43896496
It all goes back to 2017, when lawmakers passed a law requiring places with liquor licenses to buy at least a million dollars' worth of coverage. This was in response to an incident where a drunk driver without insurance left a bar, which also didn't have insurance, and crashed into a Dillon police officer, brutally injuring him.

Lawmakers thought the law would cover instances like that. But for most places, it drove up prices and drove bars like Barnes' out of business. It also made claims for insurance carriers more expensive.

This drove up insurance premiums even more for bar owners like Kynn Tribble, who owns Tribble's Bar and Grill in Piedmont and started SC Venue Crisis in response to rising costs. He says his liquor liability went from $5,000 to $60,000 in three years.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:17 pm
Bunch of bars have been closing down here in the Upstate

https://www.wyff4.com/article/rising-li ... l/43896496

That's un-Amurrican [hic].

How the Taliban launched the ‘most successful counter-narcotics effort in human history’

Many negatives, including increased fentanyl use and abuse. Prohibitionists should be careful what they wish for.

The Taliban shut down poppy growing before, but that ended with the US invasion. From south Asia to Latin America the US often supports warlords that it can't fund directly by enabling drug trafficking. The occupied Taliban also allowed poppy growing in order to fund its resistance.
1312. ETTD.