Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Unread post by O Really »

Source: Firefighter Nation magazine.
Note: Since publishing, the USFA has updated the total number of on-duty deaths for 2020. The total for the year is 96. The total of those who died due to COVID-19 in 2020 is 35.

2020 ended with a total of 96 on-duty deaths per the United States Fire Administration. Details regarding the definitions and criteria used to determine and list our on-duty deaths are covered in an earlier article[1]. This number should increase slightly based on news of firefighter deaths contributed to COVID-19 and the death of a West Virginia Air National Guard firefighter[2] before the year ended.

The total for the year is impacted by the deaths related to the coronavirus. One third, or 35, of the 96 firefighters listed by the USFA died due to the virus.

Interior firefighting fatalities ranked low in activity types for 2020. In-Station Duties, EMS/Patient Care, and Other were the top three largely due to deaths related to the pandemic and deaths from heart attack, cardiac arrest, and stroke.

Advancing Hoselines/Fire Attack (including Wildland) was the fourth highest activity among the fallen. Search and Rescue was eighth and there were no fatalities listed under Ventilation.

Advancing Hoselines/Fire Attack

10 firefighters are listed as having died in this activity. Of the six involved fighting a structure fire five were killed inside a burning structure. There was one multi-fatality incident claiming two firefighters.

One Missouri firefighter was killed in a floor collapse at a residential structure fire
Two California firefighters were killed possibly due to fire behavior and/or disorientation at a library fire
One Pennsylvania firefighter was killed in a porch roof collapse at a residential structure fire
One Michigan firefighter was killed in a floor collapse at a residential structure fire
One West Virginia firefighter was struck and killed by a beam at a barn fire
The deaths in California could be listed under Search, based on news reports of the incident[3] and the department press conference[4]. Initial details of the fire as well as fireground audio and the press conference indicate that the pair went inside with the intention of locating and rescuing anyone who may still be inside.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

"In station duties" is pronounced the number one cause of firefighter deaths last year. Looks like they may be careless after all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

You can skip to 1:35.

Make-up tutorial recorded during LA earthquake 7/5/19!!!

:D

2019 Ridgecrest earthquakes

Edit: Or not. Either way, it made me smile.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's pretty rare for major media to show us the exact time that people die. I'm not complaining, I chose to look and now you have the choice.

Doorbell video captures moment plane crashes into car near Miami, killing two

Yikes.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Surfside, Florida, 2 a.m.:

"About 70 of the condo’s 130 apartments were destroyed or damaged"

Article

:(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:14 pm
Surfside, Florida, 2 a.m.:

"About 70 of the condo’s 130 apartments were destroyed or damaged"

Article

:(
Of course we can't condemn an expensive high rise just because it's been sinking for years - think of all the people who would lose money. It'll be okay.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:43 am
Of course we can't condemn an expensive high rise just because it's been sinking for years - think of all the people who would lose money. It'll be okay.
Lots of speculating going on. Here's more:

Sea level rise due to climate change eyed as contributing factor in Miami-area building collapse

We'll see. Could be that a ton of pricey real estate gets condemned.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:32 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:43 am
Lots of speculating going on. Here's more:

Sea level rise due to climate change eyed as contributing factor in Miami-area building collapse

We'll see. Could be that a ton of pricey real estate gets condemned.
You have way more faith in the system than I do. Sure you can condemn a SF residence and not many people care, start requiring 10 and 20 million dollar structural repairs to highrise beachfront condos and the forever lawsuits start.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:39 pm
You have way more faith in the system than I do. Sure you can condemn a SF residence and not many people care, start requiring 10 and 20 million dollar structural repairs to highrise beachfront condos and the forever lawsuits start.
I'm not making predictions, but if another one or two fall those lawsuits may come if structural repairs aren't made. In the short term heads may roll if it's found that appropriate actions were not taken by officials, contractors and owners.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I'm not making predictions, but if another one or two fall those lawsuits may come if structural repairs aren't made. In the short term heads may roll if it's found that appropriate actions were not taken by officials, contractors and owners.
The first line of inquiry I expect will be directed at the architect and structural engineering company whose names are on the drawings this building was constructed from. That will lead to investigating the contractors who poured the concrete for purposes of confirming the materials that were used were the specified ones and that the curing process was correct. If all that checks out ok, the hunt will then focus on other matters such as the company who performed the core sampling and soil composition results that are done before construction of a building.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:27 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
The first line of inquiry I expect will be directed at the architect and structural engineering company whose names are on the drawings this building was constructed from. That will lead to investigating the contractors who poured the concrete for purposes of confirming the materials that were used were the specified ones and that the curing process was correct. If all that checks out ok, the hunt will then focus on other matters such as the company who performed the core sampling and soil composition results that are done before construction of a building.
They already knew it was sinking. An inch or an inch and a half at one side of a 16 story building is going to create a huge amount of stress throughout the structure. The proverbial straw was the new stress brought on by the roofing contractor improperly loading his materials onto the roof.

There will be fingers pointed at the HOA president for not addressing the sinking, but in the end, if anyone is held accountable, the roofing dude is going down.

The structure was considered one of the more sound; even the building developer lives there.

Look for more stories about other high rises on the sandbar known as Florida.
I believe there may even be a 3,000 year old warning about foundations of sand in that old bible book.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

One can find pretty much anything one is looking for in that old bible book; part of its nearly universal acceptance on one level or another.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:10 pm
One can find pretty much anything one is looking for in that old bible book; part of its nearly universal acceptance on one level or another.
True, I meant that even a bunch of superstitious home schooled sheep hearders knew better than to build on sand.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:30 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:10 pm
True, I meant that even a bunch of superstitious home schooled sheep hearders knew better than to build on sand.
Well, if the people in charge pronounce it "legal" to build on sand, the building on sand will proceed with zeal. Sort of like Manifest Destiny, except it's Sandifest Malady. In the end, some insurance company will pay a lot of money and nobody will go to jail. Then it'll be over.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:09 am

They already knew it was sinking. An inch or an inch and a half at one side of a 16 story building is going to create a huge amount of stress throughout the structure. The proverbial straw was the new stress brought on by the roofing contractor improperly loading his materials onto the roof.

There will be fingers pointed at the HOA president for not addressing the sinking, but in the end, if anyone is held accountable, the roofing dude is going down.

The structure was considered one of the more sound; even the building developer lives there.

Look for more stories about other high rises on the sandbar known as Florida.
I believe there may even be a 3,000 year old warning about foundations of sand in that old bible book.
It has come out in one news story that a tower resident reported hearing ominous creaking sounds the day before the big collapse. Sounds like that resident went down with the tower the next morning.

What has occurred to me is the possibility that some drunk in an SUV crashed into a support column in one of the two levels of parking underneath the tower. However I've seen no mention of this possibility in any of the news stories, other than some are saying there may have been more than one cause.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Are there groundhogs in that part of Florida? You heard it here first.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:33 pm
Nope

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Nope
Thanks. There should barely be any at Whack9's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

Raccoons?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:15 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Nope
Thanks. There should barely be any at Whack9's.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog

Raccoons?
Lots.
Could be one of our many released exotic pets. Do pythons burrow?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

May have been way too many ants moving around way too much. Restless.