Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:15 pm
Raccoons?
Lots.
Could be one of our many released exotic pets. Do pythons burrow?
Some, and others occupy or steal existing burrows.
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:32 pm
May have been way too many ants moving around way too much. Restless.
Bastards, all of them.

There's a sister condo complex:

Beach Residents Wondering Whether Their Building Could Be Next

:shock:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

UConn pitcher recounts harrowing escape from South Florida condo collapse

... “The crazy part was looking in the hallway to our left,” Willis said. “Me and my sister in the living room were probably the closest, were maybe 15 feet away from where the building ended up just breaking off." ...
:o
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New info, poor maintenance by the COA MAY have contributed.

Two days before condo collapse, a pool contractor photographed this damage in garage

The investigators will have a lot of complexities to sort through. It may take months.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:21 pm
New info, poor maintenance by the COA MAY have contributed.

Two days before condo collapse, a pool contractor photographed this damage in garage

The investigators will have a lot of complexities to sort through. It may take months.
I agree that the inquiry will last for months. But I also feel quite confident that in the end, nobody who has any culpability or responsibility in any of this will be blamed, arrested, shamed, or even named. It is possible that blame will be placed with the guy who skims the pool each morning or on a homeless man who was sleeping in a pool deck chair when the building fell. Architects, engineers, developers, contractors, and banks will all be found innocent.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:16 am
I agree that the inquiry will last for months. But I also feel quite confident that in the end, nobody who has any culpability or responsibility in any of this will be blamed, arrested, shamed, or even named. It is possible that blame will be placed with the guy who skims the pool each morning or on a homeless man who was sleeping in a pool deck chair when the building fell. Architects, engineers, developers, contractors, and banks will all be found innocent.
I get your cynicism, but I'm not sure that I share it when the dead are 160 well off South Floridians. Maybe if it were 160 dead guys who skim the pool each morning and homeless men who were sleeping in pool deck chairs when the building fell . . .
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:15 am
neoplacebo wrote:
I get your cynicism, but I'm not sure that I share it when the dead are 160 well off South Floridians. Maybe if it were 160 dead guys who skim the pool each morning and homeless men who were sleeping in pool deck chairs when the building fell . . .
I see plenty of finger pointing but no real blame sticking anywhere other than maybe the roofing contractor's llc.

Salt air and steel don't mix. That building would have lasted over a hundred years if it had been designed without steel, although the 20 ft. thick walls may have presented other problems.

This conversation is way bigger than 1 or 2 buildings.

There was a joke in the 80s that may resurface in coastal America.

Which two are similar:
1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:
herpes and a condo - you can get rid of gonorrhea
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:52 am
I see plenty of finger pointing but no real blame sticking anywhere other than maybe the roofing contractor's llc.

Salt air and steel don't mix. That building would have lasted over a hundred years if it had been designed without steel, although the 20 ft. thick walls may have presented other problems.

Which two are similar:
1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:
I'm not worried about nothing sticking this soon.

2021 update. Which two are similar:
1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:
Gonorrhea and a condo - you can't get rid of herpes.

Too soon?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Which two are similar:
1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:

1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:

Too soon?
Poor wording, I didn't mean the joke would be popular, but rather that the reality of the beach front highrise market just changed.

What is the value of last week's $1,000,000 condo
today?
It's likely that sales end in the older complexes until structural reports are finished and even then what happens when that million dollar condo's share of repairs is a million dollars.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:01 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Which two are similar:
1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:

1) herpes
2) gonorrhea
3) a condo
Spoiler:

Too soon?
Poor wording, I didn't mean the joke would be popular, but rather that the reality of the beach front highrise market just changed.

What is the value of last week's $1,000,000 condo
today?
It's likely that sales end in the older complexes until structural reports are finished and even then what happens when that million dollar condo's share of repairs is a million dollars.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nah, I got the intent of the original joke and how it may be even more true today. I just put a dumb twist to it.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:15 am
neoplacebo wrote:
I get your "I get your cynicism" and will raise you a robust "I get that but you just wait and see." 160 or even a thousand dead rich white folks unlucky enough to have bought a crumbling concrete cubicle with a scenic view (not to mention all the other building residents whose house didn't fall down; those unlucky bastards are now fighting insurance companies and condo associations for the foreseeable future) doesn't come close to the damage that would be done if even a handful of local construction firms and engineering companies and insurance companies by some chance come to be known to have neglected or even falsified notices of defect anywhere along the line. Such an alleged condition would be swiftly whipped into obscurity by old men with big pockets who know how to work this.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Add in the COA and perhaps the individual owners who MAY have balked at the reported $80K to $300K price tag each for repairs. It COULD be that enough legit shared blame will be found that assessing liability will be impossible. We'll see.

Does a grieving granddaughter still have a case if an "FU" letter is found from the now dead grandparents over the idea of a special assessment? A $1K each assessment here to resurface the driveway and parking lot was a big deal.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I've always been suspicious of assessments and suspect the assessment should maybe more correctly be assigned to the assessor. It would be super cool for some hapless assessor to have his assessor ass kicked.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:10 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Add in the COA and perhaps the individual owners who MAY have balked at the reported $80K to $300K price tag each for repairs. It COULD be that enough legit shared blame will be found that assessing liability will be impossible. We'll see.

Does a grieving granddaughter still have a case if an "FU" letter is found from the now dead grandparents over the idea of a special assessment? A $1K each assessment here to resurface the driveway and parking lot was a big deal.
Our local very big shot attorneys (Levin Papantonio) are already working with multiple owners.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:02 pm
Our local very big shot attorneys (Levin Papantonio) are already working with multiple owners.
Idk how it works when they're essentially suing themselves, the COA, among others.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Idk how it works when they're essentially suing themselves, the COA, among others.
Or the city or the county or the state, or we'll see. I'm sure that Levin has his angle, how else do you get a major university to name their law school after you.

https://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Well, there's always the unexpected.

For example, I bought this place in 1997, for $225k. Put $45k down. Got an 8.25% 30 year mortgage. I kept on updating it to 15 year, and then finally a 10 year, which I paid off about three years ago.

Today it could probably sell for at least $1million or more. It's on a double size lot, and a home down the street just sold for $988k.

But I didn't start this post to brag about my real estate. Rather, to offer that the unknown can always strike. Around here, that would be a big quake that brings down structures all over. And likely real estate prices would also plummet after the Big One. We had a sample the other day. Just a 4.0, but the epicenter was only a mile away. A very strong and abrupt jolt. Only lasted less than 10 seconds, but still.

If the Big One hits, I fully expect that the value of this place will sink quite a bit, and it might take years for prices to come back up again. And of course the insurance companies will be jacking up their rates as well.

Most homes around here are wood frame. Even three or four story apartment houses. Because of the quake threat. On the plus side, we don't get hurricanes or tornadoes. Yet.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Or the city or the county or the state, or we'll see. I'm sure that Levin has his angle, how else do you get a major university to name their law school after you.

https://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions
I may have been unclear. I'm sure that other entities are being sued and will be sued, but I heard on the TV news that the COA is also being sued and that's the part that I'm not sure how it will work. For example, will survivors who lost everything be payers or payees?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY will eventually be sued, and some people will be both suers and suees. Probably our own neoplacebo will be sued because of writing a snarky email to somebody in Florida who may have had a fourth cousin who once stayed overnight in that building.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:40 pm
I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY will eventually be sued, and some people will be both suers and suees. Probably our own neoplacebo will be sued because of writing a snarky email to somebody in Florida who may have had a fourth cousin who once stayed overnight in that building.
It's about time.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 pm
Or the city or the county or the state ...
billy.pilgrim is getting sued.

If sea level rise can be blamed, maybe we all are.
1312. ETTD.