Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Fire/EMS/ERs/disasters, etc.

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:40 pm
I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY will eventually be sued, and some people will be both suers and suees. Probably our own neoplacebo will be sued because of writing a snarky email to somebody in Florida who may have had a fourth cousin who once stayed overnight in that building.
:lol: I have considered making a trip down there and announcing, in front of cameras, that I am the defendant in the lawsuit they've all been salivating over. All because I once staggered by that place in a case of mistaken identity and loaned that homeless guy who was snoozing out by the pool twenty bucks. How did I know he was gonna go fuck with the basement plumbing and pool drain? I'll just do like Oliver North; look stupid, act dumb, and recite patriotic bullshit. Works every time.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:49 pm
O Really wrote:
I'm pretty sure EVERYBODY will eventually be sued, and some people will be both suers and suees. Probably our own neoplacebo will be sued because of writing a snarky email to somebody in Florida who may have had a fourth cousin who once stayed overnight in that building.
It's about time.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 pm
Or the city or the county or the state ...
billy.pilgrim is getting sued.

If sea level rise can be blamed, maybe we all are.
Yeah, I thought those FL cops would never connect the dots regarding my previous time there in their glittering dung heap of a town. I took one look around and immediately realized the whole fucking place was doomed. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. And that's where my giving the homeless guy money sealed my fate.

As for the rising sea levels, I think a lot of folks are discounting the amount of shit that's put into the sea, every bit of which makes the sea level rise. You can illustrate this yourself; fill up a bath tub with water, get in it clothed or not, and sit down. You'll notice the water level rose when you sat down. Now start throwing other shit into the water....like shampoo bottles, labels with disregarded warnings on them, any loose plastic, and any dead animals or rusty metal fencing you don't want and watch the water rise and overflow the sides of the tub. None of this is a secret; just nobody mentions it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:20 pm
Yeah, I thought those FL cops would never connect the dots regarding my previous time there in their glittering dung heap of a town. I took one look around and immediately realized the whole fucking place was doomed. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. And that's where my giving the homeless guy money sealed my fate.

As for the rising sea levels, I think a lot of folks are discounting the amount of shit that's put into the sea, every bit of which makes the sea level rise. You can illustrate this yourself; fill up a bath tub with water, get in it clothed or not, and sit down. You'll notice the water level rose when you sat down. Now start throwing other shit into the water....like shampoo bottles, labels with disregarded warnings on them, any loose plastic, and any dead animals or rusty metal fencing you don't want and watch the water rise and overflow the sides of the tub. None of this is a secret; just nobody mentions it.
Mass surveillance, digital record keeping and facial recognition - all dots get connected eventually. :wtf: You bastard. :x

I've pissed in the ocean many times. It's my fault :oops: . Sorry.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:49 pm
O Really wrote:
It's about time.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 pm
Or the city or the county or the state ...
billy.pilgrim is getting sued.

If sea level rise can be blamed, maybe we all are.

Move over neo, the city is the new front runner.

https://therealdeal.com/miami/2021/06/2 ... al-issues/

"The town’s main building official at that time offered them the assurance even though he had received a report raising red flags about the tower’s integrity"

He" said all of the residents’ main concerns over the 40-year recertification process were addressed and he praised the building for beginning the review early"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ah, yes, praise (often misguided as well as unwarranted) is always a big hit when shit goes sideways. Praise god, praise the first responders, praise Jesus limping by on a crutch. There's plenty to go around.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Personally never been to Miasmi, that I can recall. Did make it to Whorelando, though. Saw a big stinkhole, too.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I also never went to Miami or even Orlando. I actually had to personally throttle and strangle six alligators in order not to have to go to those places. Lucky for me it was a strangle one, get one free day so I only had to throttle three and take the bonus.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:49 pm
I also never went to Miami or even Orlando. I actually had to personally throttle and strangle six alligators in order not to have to go to those places. Lucky for me it was a strangle one, get one free day so I only had to throttle three and take the bonus.
Suburban Surfside, Florida counts as Miami. Those alligators and the homeless guy ripped you off.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:58 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:49 pm
Suburban Surfside, Florida counts as Miami. Those alligators and the homeless guy ripped you off.
Yeah, it's the story of my life. Suburbia reaches out and strangles me in the face while alligators and homeless agitators slink by unnoticed. Just my luck.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm

"The town’s main building official at that time offered them the assurance even though he had received a report raising red flags about the tower’s integrity"

He" said all of the residents’ main concerns over the 40-year recertification process were addressed and he praised the building for beginning the review early"
Efforts underway to hold cities and condo associations more accountable
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:27 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:37 pm

Efforts underway to hold cities and condo associations more accountable
I don't believe that I've seen it here, but I have read numerous comments blaming Florida for lacking proper building codes. At least one of these comments was made by a liburateridiot from Texas - a state that has no state building codes.

Florida has long held the most stringent building codes in the country and Dade County codes are even more restrictive. Virginia's new code changes knocked Florida to #2 for wind, but #2 ain't bad.

But this is all new to most of us; it's likely been history waiting to happen to some.

Concrete and steel - compressive and tensile
Unless you want 20' thick walls, you have to have steel. As long as the is zero salt intrusion, there's no problem - perfect for inland construction, or temporary salt water environment structures such as bridges and piers, or 40 - 60 year life condos.

Thanks the Gore/Bush, some repug wordsmith and fox news it will probably take a building failing outside of Florida before the rest of coastal USA sees this as something other than the Floriduh problem it's not. This is all about using lot more concrete to protect good quality steel and a pre-identified end of useful life of the building.

My advice: don't buy ocean front highrise properties unless it's something you can walk away from when it shows wear.

states with no building codes are Colorado, Hawaii, Arizona, Arkansas, Texas, Alabama, Wyoming, Michigan, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Missouri.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

My advice; if you're going to buy a beach house, buy one that's at least 100 years old and been well cared for. Even if it's next to a fortune teller and a pecan vendor. Stomp around on the porch and inside before buying just to be extra sure. ok

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:03 pm
My advice; if you're going to buy a beach house, buy one that's at least 100 years old and been well cared for. Even if it's next to a fortune teller and a pecan vendor. Stomp around on the porch and inside before buying just to be extra sure. ok
Better yet, buy the fortune teller some pecan pie and ask her/him what will happen with the house.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:11 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Better yet, buy the fortune teller some pecan pie and ask her/him what will happen with the house.
Houses are fine, but I'm glad that I don't own any of the previously 50 or 100 million of real estate in Crestview Towers that just dropped to zero or less.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/us/north ... index.html

Much more to come

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:54 am
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Houses are fine, but I'm glad that I don't own any of the previously 50 or 100 million of real estate in Crestview Towers that just dropped to zero or less.

Much more to come
Ah, yes, the old knee jerk bar the door after the horses have fled act.....this new one has been unsafe for six months but all of a sudden it's a fucking emergency? The structural engineering consulting firms in the area are in for a hell of a good year it would seem. Not only that, I won't be surprised if GQP nutjobs try to pass a flurry of ridiculous laws that blame falling FL condos on "radical Democrats," Muslims, and immigrants. The pool skimmer guy and the homeless guy who slept on the pool deck before the collapse sense the impending wave of guilt about to engulf them and have both moved down the street to a gated community where more stealth and ingenuity are required. I wish them luck.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:51 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

Much more to come
Ah, yes, the old knee jerk bar the door after the horses have fled act.....this new one has been unsafe for six months but all of a sudden it's a fucking emergency? The structural engineering consulting firms in the area are in for a hell of a good year it would seem. Not only that, I won't be surprised if GQP nutjobs try to pass a flurry of ridiculous laws that blame falling FL condos on "radical Democrats," Muslims, and immigrants. The pool skimmer guy and the homeless guy who slept on the pool deck before the collapse sense the impending wave of guilt about to engulf them and have both moved down the street to a gated community where more stealth and ingenuity are required. I wish them luck.
Reckon how many banks have handed out 30 year mortgages on 30 to 50 year old coastal highrise condo's.
Reckon how much on these private losses will be transferred to the public.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:53 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:51 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:

Much more to come
Reckon how many banks have handed out 30 year mortgages on 30 to 50 year old coastal highrise condo's.
Reckon how much on these private losses will be transferred to the public.
It's probably a considerable reckoning, but also reckon about how many 70+ year olds have their signature on those mortgages.....the bank doesn't give a shit if you pay your mortgage or not unless the collateral for that mortgage ends up being a pile of debris in the parking lots, in which case insurance companies start whining and moaning. And if you consider "the public" to be the government, you must not forget that "the public" cannot ever under any circumstance run out of money. And that's because "the public" is the only entity that can create money from nothing.....money that's worth nothing....fiat currency. Keep the faith, baby.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Tale of rescue after falling several floors in Fla. collapse

When 16-year-old rising volleyball star Deven Gonzalez was pulled from the rubble of her Miami condo building, her initial reaction amid the shock was to tell firefighters that she had to compete in a major tournament in a few days.

The teen's world revolved around volleyball. She played beach volleyball, on her high school team and with a competitive travel club team. From her hospital bed where she's undergone multiple surgeries for a broken femur, she apologized profusely to her coach for missing their final practice.

“I said, ‘Let’s focus on you right now and not volleyball,'” said club coach Amy Morgan, who described Gonzalez as extremely determined, passionate and unrelenting in pursuing her goals.

Gonzalez lived with her parents on the ninth floor of Champlain Towers South. She and her mother, Angela Gonzalez, fell several stories before being rescued on the fifth floor, she told her coach. Her mother was among the survivors pulled from the rubble and is still hospitalized with serious injuries, Morgan told The Associated Press.

At least two dozen were killed in the building's partial collapse June 24. Deven Gonzalez's father, attorney Edgar Gonzalez, is among the more than 120 still missing. The family’s eldest daughter, Taylor, who was not in the building at the time of the collapse, has been a source of strength for her mom and sister, according to Morgan and Joslyn Varona, a family friend who has posted frequent updates on Facebook.

“This is a strong and wonderful family,” Varona said. “They have a lot of faith.”

Deven Gonzalez still hasn't been able to see her mother because they are in separate parts of the hospital, but she briefly video chatted with her a few days ago on her mother's birthday when Angela Gonzalez's intubation tube was removed, Morgan said....
Wow.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Doesn't Florida have a long long history of real estate scams?

I learned this from the great Marx Brothers film, "Cocoanuts"...

Also found a youtube copy of the full movie, but it's cropped and sped up 25%, with sound distortion. I think I have it on a DVD anyway.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:17 pm
Doesn't Florida have a long long history of real estate scams?

I learned this from the great Marx Brothers film, "Cocoanuts"...

Also found a youtube copy of the full movie, but it's cropped and sped up 25%, with sound distortion. I think I have it on a DVD anyway.
Maybe you had rather buy the Brooklyn Bridge. I can offer you a valid Quit Claim Deed, a gold claim in California, or a silver mine in Nevada

Yeah, capitalist do look for ways to exploit. We have 2 huge (plated only - no roads etc) swamp subdivisions in Santa Rosa County where nearly all of the lots were sold in Chicago, Paris and Geneva; however, the biggest scams were run in the swamp that is now Disney World. I wish my Dad had bought some of that.