Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:22 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:46 am

:puke-left: :bs: Guess I'm rooting against the Bills now.
Because they got a new stadium?
Because of the $850 million in taxpayer money going to a for profit business.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:05 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:22 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:46 am

:puke-left: :bs: Guess I'm rooting against the Bills now.
Because they got a new stadium?
Because of the $850 million in taxpayer money going to a for profit business.
Have you met any Bills fans? They'd probably rather spend that money on the stadium than get the potholes patched and new schools built.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:10 am
Have you met any Bills fans? They'd probably rather spend that money on the stadium than get the potholes patched and new schools built.
It's mostly state money and my concern is for all of the taxpaying non-Bills fans, along with any Bills fans that might disagree with massive subsidies for their hobby.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:14 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:10 am
It's mostly state money and my concern is for all of the taxpaying non-Bills fans, along with any Bills fans that might disagree with massive subsidies for their hobby.
Well, it's not like if they didn't spend it there they would spend it on feeding people or coming up with help for unhoused or something.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:03 pm
Well, it's not like if they didn't spend it there they would spend it on feeding people or coming up with help for unhoused or something.
The Bills' grossly unethical stadium deal will burden the people it purports to unite

In the state of New York, if you want to receive public assistance — you know, money from state or local authorities to help keep a roof over heads or food in refrigerators — there are conditions that recipients must meet.
:crazy: The exact two things that you mentioned, O Really. Great minds . . .
And not just you, but any adult who lives with you. Can't have poor people getting a free ride, you see, no matter how the system is set up to make sure the poor stay poor.

When wealthy people want public assistance, well, that's a different story....

The $850 million is the largest amount of public monies ever given to finance a stadium for a privately owned team.

And yet, in all of the coverage of the agreement, there hasn't been a word about the conditions the Pegulas, and by extension, the Bills, will have to meet to get the public assistance funds.

Weird, right?

Shameful is more like it.

Terry and Kim Pegula are reportedly worth $5.8 billion, give or take. In a hyper-exclusive club of wealthy team owners, they are among the top 10 wealthiest. They own two professional sports teams among their vast portfolio, the Bills and the NHL's Buffalo Sabres. They have more than enough to have financed a new stadium all on their own, but why pay for things yourself when you can sucker others into doing it for you?

Especially when Hochul can just propose to slash $800 million from New York's Office of Child and Family Services. Why make sure the most vulnerable citizens of the state are taken care of when there's a massive facility to build that will get used only 20 or so times a year? A building in which the tenants keep essentially all of the profits and reap all of the benefits when the value of the team increases because of the new facility?

... And the $850 million from the state and county is just for building the new stadium. The state will also pay almost $7 million a year for 15 years in maintenance costs and contribute $6 million a year for the full 30 years to a capital improvement fund.

Yet the $6 million a year Highmark Health pays for the Bills' current stadium to carry its name — that all goes to the Pegulas.

The least the state can do, as it does with all people who ask for public assistance, is tie conditions to it.

For example: The population of Erie County is 25 percent non-white, including 14 percent Black, and New York is 45 percent non-white and 17.6 percent Black. Yet of the top 18 executives listed currently on the Bills' website, only two are ethnic minorities....

If you want The People's money, shouldn't your most senior leadership positions reflect The People?

... And what of the people who don't care about the Bills? What do they get out of this?
Yeah, I'm a "great mind", too. :wave:
And how are we in 2022 still seeing these disgusting displays of state and local lawmakers allowing billionaire private business owners to fleece them out of taxpayer funds for facilities the vast majority of taxpayers won't have or don't want access to? ...
Personally, I can't see any conditions being worth the cost, but good on Shalise Manza Young for trying.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:56 am
The Commies are poor commies:

Report: Commanders alleged to have hidden ticket revenue from other NFL teams
I was just getting ready to post that.

This might actually get him booted.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

We could only hope. Of course, if anything is going to get the scum bag booted, stealing from the other owners would probably do it. Ruining a formerly great franchise and abusing cheerleaders certainly wasn't enough.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

NFL owners are tad bit entitled.

Rather amazing the leverage they have.

Is Panthers owner David Tepper sending an ominous message to Charlotte?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:09 pm
NFL owners are tad bit entitled.

Rather amazing the leverage they have.

Is Panthers owner David Tepper sending an ominous message to Charlotte?
I will oppose all state subsidies for the Panthers, plus I'll offer my 2 cents worth to relevant local govts.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Somebody will always cough up the money.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:24 pm
Kind of amazing when you think about it. I wonder how much revenue a team generates for a community?

Probably not that much in the big picture.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:29 pm
O Really wrote:
Kind of amazing when you think about it. I wonder how much revenue a team generates for a community?

Negligible, apparently.
https://www.marketplace.org/2015/03/19/ ... rs-cities/
There are a lot of things economists disagree about, but the economic impact of sports stadiums isn’t one of them.

“If you ever had a consensus in economics, this would be it,” says Michael Leeds, a sports economist at Temple University. “There is no impact.”

Leeds studied Chicago – as big a sports town as there is, with five major teams.

“If every sports team in Chicago were to suddenly disappear, the impact on the Chicago economy would be a fraction of 1 percent,” Leeds says. “A baseball team has about the same impact on a community as a midsize department store.”

That’s for a sport with 80 home games a year. NFL teams only play eight regular season games. Still, politicians love building sports stadiums.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wrong question.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Kind of amazing disgusting when you think about it. I wonder how much revenue a team generates for a community fat cat donors to the mayor and council?

Probably not that much truckloads in the big sleazy picture.
Ftfy.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:37 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:

Negligible, apparently.
https://www.marketplace.org/2015/03/19/ ... rs-cities/
There are a lot of things economists disagree about, but the economic impact of sports stadiums isn’t one of them.

“If you ever had a consensus in economics, this would be it,” says Michael Leeds, a sports economist at Temple University. “There is no impact.”

Leeds studied Chicago – as big a sports town as there is, with five major teams.

“If every sports team in Chicago were to suddenly disappear, the impact on the Chicago economy would be a fraction of 1 percent,” Leeds says. “A baseball team has about the same impact on a community as a midsize department store.”

That’s for a sport with 80 home games a year. NFL teams only play eight regular season games. Still, politicians love building sports stadiums.
I heard a vicious rumor that the NLF season is over until next fall.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Emphasis added:
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:20 pm
We're not discussing games, dummy. Pay attention. Poor baby routinely posts gibberish as an excuse to post after me. How adorable!

Anyhow, no National Liberation Front is seasonal.
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:27 pm
Emphasis added:
Ulysses wrote:
We're not discussing games, dummy. Pay attention. Poor baby routinely posts gibberish as an excuse to post after me. How adorable!

Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
Oppsie!

:laughing-rolling:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:34 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:27 pm
Emphasis added:
Ulysses wrote:

Oppsie!

:laughing-rolling:
National Liberation Front

Sigh. I don't think this will help Cam get a job:

Cam Newton not a fan of 'bad b---h' women who 'can't cook' and 'don't know how to be quiet'

Sign a contract, then be a sexist asshole.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:45 am

Sigh. I don't think this will help Cam get a job:

Cam Newton not a fan of 'bad b---h' women who 'can't cook' and 'don't know how to be quiet'

Sign a contract, then be a sexist asshole.
Taking in entire context, the comments probably weren't as bad as they seem. We've all seen the women he's talking about, sometimes characterized and stereotyped as "angry Black woman" or aggressive ball-breaking diva. Saying that's not his type would have been fine. Going down the "can't cook" and tending to a mans' needs path was beyond opps. Cam doesn't need any more baggage.