Unread post by Ulysses »

Gotta love it!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: NFL Football

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:21 am
(signature: obsessed, out of context :crybaby: ignore failure)
Awww. :violin: , Useless.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:11 pm

:ateeth: The coin won the game. I prefer college OT rules.

You ain't the only one.

Why the ending of K.C.-Buffalo ought to change NFL's overtime
The greatest game in NFL history turned on a coin flip.

Oh yeah, forgot about this.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:47 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:11 pm
:ateeth: The coin won the game. I prefer college OT rules.
You ain't the only one.

Why the ending of K.C.-Buffalo ought to change NFL's overtime
The greatest game in NFL history turned on a coin flip.
... Ending brilliance like Chiefs-Bills with an NFL overtime is like ending a Mozart symphony with a loud fart....
:) , but a loud fart is preferable. That said, this is also true:
... Yes, there’s an easy argument in favor of the current rules: If the defense can’t stop the offense (any one time out of the last 4), the team doesn’t deserve to win....
:(
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:53 am
... Yes, there’s an easy argument in favor of the current rules: If the defense can’t stop the offense (any one time out of the last 4), the team doesn’t deserve to win....
:(
Yeah, saw that one. Problem was both defenses were so gassed stopping the offense would've been the exception at that point.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I like both teams getting at least one offensive opportunity. Or, I'd have no problem if they just put more time on the clock and kept playing from where they were when regulation ended.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:33 am
I like both teams getting at least one offensive opportunity. Or, I'd have no problem if they just put more time on the clock and kept playing from where they were when regulation ended.
Idk about your second idea. In this game the Bills would have received the kickoff and perhaps driven the field to end the game like KC did.

Tom Brady, after bragging refs let him get away with smack talk, gets penalized for yelling at refs

... A couple days after Brady said that he gets away with "talking smack to the refs when I don't think I get the right call," he got the first unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of his career, according to NBC's Al Michaels. Los Angeles Rams linebacker Von Miller hit Brady in the helmet, and nothing was called. Brady was demonstrative in arguing the non-call, and the flag was thrown.

For everyone who has tired of seeing Brady complain about not getting calls, it was a funny moment.

Brady probably had a point. Miller hit him in the helmet. He had a cut lip afterward. It's also surprising the call was made, because it's rare to see a player get called for arguing with an official. Brady has been complaining for more than 20 years and never got a penalty.

It's fair to assume that him bragging about getting away with a lot of complaining to the refs and being penalized Sunday wasn't a coincidence.

"I do know that [the officials] probably let me get away with a lot of unsportsmanlike conducts, talking smack to the other team and talking smack to the refs when I don't think I get the right call," Brady said on the "Let's Go!" podcast with Jim Gray. "I'm kind of a pain in their ass if you don't already know that."

Maybe Brady should have just let that rest without bringing attention to it.
Opps.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Perhaps the NFL is doing the coin toss thing because it thinks it helps with the ratings.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm
Perhaps the NFL is doing the coin toss thing because it thinks it helps with the ratings.
That must be it.

Ratings: Chiefs/Bills OT Thriller Draws Nearly 35 Million in Prelim Numbers

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:58 pm
:headscratch: College has an OT coin toss, too, and I can't imagine how sudden death attracts more viewers than a balanced OT scheme. Please elaborate.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:09 pm
That must be it.
:D
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

'Oh, fssshhhh': There's nothing sadder than the Packers' radio call of 49ers' game-winning field goal

The top-seeded Green Bay Packers were booted from the postseason in heartbreaking fashion Saturday night in Green Bay, 13-10, by the visiting San Francisco 49ers — the NFL's lone remaining wild card team.

And no one summed up quite what it felt like for the Vegas favorites to go down like Packers Radio Network color commentator Larry McCarren.

In his 23rd consecutive season working alongside play-by-play man Wayne Larrivee, McCarren let out an exasperated groan-sigh following Niners kicker Robbie Gould's game-winner that can only be described as steeped in sadness.

"Here's the snap — high snap — placement made, kick end-over-end to the uprights, and it is good," Larrivee said on the Packers' radio call.

"Oh, fssshhhh," McCarren let out.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm
O Really wrote:
Idk about your second idea. In this game the Bills would have received the kickoff and perhaps driven the field to end the game like KC did.

I actually kind of like that idea, end of 4th quarter becomes like end of the third quarter. Play resumes for a five minute period with no sudden death.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NFL: Did we just see the greatest weekend in NFL history?

If this wasn’t the greatest weekend in NFL playoff history, it’ll do until a better one comes along.

Four walkoff wins. Four games decided by a combined 15 points. Three upsets that rank among the best games of the year, and one undeniable classic that ranks among the best NFL games of all time. This is why the NFL, like the house, always wins in the end — because after all the off-field drama, after all the sleazy amoral corporate maneuvering and criminal behavior, this is a game that, at its best, rises to the level of art.

The weekend had everything: Heroes (Patrick Mahomes, three kickers). Villains (Aaron Rodgers). Goats (Buffalo’s defense, Green Bay’s special teams, Ryan Tannehill). Rising stars (Joe Burrow). Falling icons (Tom Brady). Astounding plays (pick ‘em). Miracle comebacks (again, pick ‘em). After last week's cavalcade of underqualified and underperforming dogs, this was a joy from first kickoff to final fireworks.

The NFL didn’t just serve up four winners this weekend. It served up a whole offseason’s worth of talking points. (Should overtime change? Is Rodgers done in Green Bay? Will Brady retire? What was Buffalo thinking in those last 13 seconds?)

The weekend also produced two of the great quotes in recent NFL history. “Well, looks like we’re going to the AFC championship,” Cincinnati’s rookie kicker Evan McPherson said, moments before nailing a 52-yarder that did exactly that.

Then Andy Reid came over the top with an all-timer: “When it’s grim,” he told Mahomes, “be the grim reaper.” You know what happened next.

It all ended in perhaps the greatest two minutes in all of football. Books will be written about this weekend, documentaries filmed, songs sung. For now, let’s just run down all the key players in this epic masterpiece.

(team by team breakdown)
All good points. I can't recall a greater weekend, especially with 4 of 6 games being routs the weekend before.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:35 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:30 pm
The soon to be ex 49r's quarterback?
Who led his team to beat the shit out of Green Bay?
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:44 pm
"led his team"?
Jimmy Garoppolo 11/19, 131 Yds, 0 TD, 1 Int, 57.1 QBRat
You really should try drugs as an excuse for routinely posting so stupid.
Beat the shit? :laughing-rolling:

It was a walkoff.
The only td was on special teams. :crazy:

And yeah, they can't wait to be rid of him. He's average at best. Not a star.

Currently watching NFL Network, they're basically saying the 9r's won despite of him.
Back to the article:
San Francisco:

How? Seriously, how did San Francisco win this game with Jimmy Garoppolo at quarterback? Simple: by winning it despite having Garoppolo — 19 attempts, 131 yards, no touchdowns, one INT — at quarterback. Garoppolo, who continues to blissfully float through his NFL career despite oceans of detractors, managed to do just enough to keep San Francisco in the game so that Deebo Samuel could cook and the 49er defense could wreck shop on the pathetic Packers special teams....
:lol:

That said, nothing would please me more than to see the 49r's' Garoppolo live up to Useless' uninformed delusions for 2 games.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:50 pm
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
I actually kind of like that idea, end of 4th quarter becomes like end of the third quarter. Play resumes for a five minute period with no sudden death.
Ah, I was assuming sudden death. I guess O Really didn't say one way or the other. How would you prevent endless games?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:09 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Ah, I was assuming sudden death. I guess O Really didn't say one way or the other. How would you prevent endless games?

With a short period the OT becomes an extended two minute drill. It'd be exciting and it wouldn't go on endlessly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
With a short period the OT becomes an extended two minute drill. It'd be exciting and it wouldn't go on endlessly.
Doesn't such a short period hand whoever possesses the ball the same edge KC had, and what prevents endless ties?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:46 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Doesn't such a short period hand whoever possesses the ball the same edge KC had, and what prevents endless ties?
No, it's a clock just like regulation and picks up the action directly from the end of regulation. No coin toss and kickoff.

If it goes three periods it's 15 minutes or a fifth quarter. They'll be playing two minute offenses because of the shortened time.

It's bonus football just like extra innings in baseball except it's just for the playoffs and it goes til it's over.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Typical LA shenanigans...

Before Bucs game starts, Los Angeles Rams restrict 49ers fans from buying tickets to possible NFC Championship
Jan. 23, 1 p.m. The Los Angeles Rams' 27-24 overtime loss to the San Francisco 49ers in early January was embarrassing for the home team for a number of reasons, including that Niners fans were heavily represented at SoFi Stadium. The large presence of scarlet and gold in the stands caught Rams coach Sean McVay by surprise, he said afterwards. Rams quarterback Matt Stafford even had to go to a silent count, a tactic usually employed by the road team to continue calling plays in a rowdy stadium.

A few weeks later, the 49ers have secured a surprising spot in the NFC Championship Game. And the Rams, looking ahead to a rematch, are trying to shut down the possibility of another influx of 49ers faithful. As The Athletic's David Lombardi clocked, even before their 30-27 divisional round victory over the Tampa Bay Bucs, the Rams were already preparing to sell NFC title game tickets with the caveat that they'd be restricted to "residents of the greater Los Angeles region."

The Rams' warning notes that anyone whose credit card has a zip code outside of that region will immediately have their ticket purchase cancelled. That wouldn't stop Niners fans from buying tickets on the secondary market, of course, but it would surely have a tangible effect on avoiding what previously felt like a neutral game site, if not a 49ers home game.

The fact that the Rams were already thinking ahead to the following week and worrying about fan turnout at home is a reminder that they've only been back in Los Angeles since 2016, and despite a fancy schmancy new stadium, they're clearly behind the Lakers and Dodgers as far as the city's pro sports teams pecking order goes.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

That's not shenanigans, that's SOP.