Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:27 pm

Probably. I know even less about real estate law than I do criminal law, but looking only at the article, it looks like a clumsy rule that could be easily circumvented and thus inconsistently enforced. You've also got strong possibility of unintended consequences. Ultimately, though, I think they could tell you that you aren't allowed to rent out rooms in your house within a zone, but they can't tell you how many house guests you can have.
You do see no rentals allowed in HOA's, but I never have seen it in a zoning district, much less something so targeted.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:36 pm
O Really wrote:

Probably. I know even less about real estate law than I do criminal law, but looking only at the article, it looks like a clumsy rule that could be easily circumvented and thus inconsistently enforced. You've also got strong possibility of unintended consequences. Ultimately, though, I think they could tell you that you aren't allowed to rent out rooms in your house within a zone, but they can't tell you how many house guests you can have.
You do see no rentals allowed in HOA's, but I never have seen it in a zoning district, much less something so targeted.
They'll need some complex zoning. "Single family" generally refers to having only one residence on a property, not to the number of people who can live in the residence.
In the city of Los Angeles, for example, single-family zoning is known as R1 — meaning one residential unit on a lot. Other zoning designations include R2 (two residential units on a lot, plus other uses) and R3 (which can include boarding houses and childcare facilities). There are many more designations and variations.
And they might run into problems with the federal Fair Housing Act
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in housing because of:

Race
Color
National Origin
Religion
Sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation)
Familial Status
Disability
"Familial status"? Opps.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:13 pm
4 or more adults where 1 or more is unrelated. In other words, The Golden Girls would be criminals in Shawnee, KS. What will they do when Rose says that Dorothy, Blanche and Sophia are cousins? Genealogy searches? DNA tests?
No Full House there either! :lol:
:D Legal at first until Candace Cameron grew up and Lori Loughlin moved in (no, I was never a viewer, I looked it up).

The same thing was tried in Missoula a long time ago. It's not in place, but I can't remember why.
I had to look it up too.... :roll:
Full House is an American television sitcom created by Jeff Franklin for ABC. The show is about widowed father Danny Tanner who enlists his brother-in-law Jesse Katsopolis and childhood best friend Joey Gladstone to help raise his three daughters...

Thought it'd be a no no from the get go.
Maybe they were forced to cancel Fuller House (also not a viewer, I looked it up again) because Ramona Gibbler and Jackson Fuller grew up. Nazi bastards.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:52 pm
... And they might run into problems with the federal Fair Housing Act

Race
Color
National Origin
Religion
Sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation)
Familial Status
Disability
"Familial status"? Opps.
That or the threat of it might be what killed the Missoula ordinance.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:18 pm

Did I miss something?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Communist. 😯

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:47 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 4:18 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:52 pm
... And they might run into problems with the federal Fair Housing Act

... Familial Status ...
"Familial status"? Opps.
Did I miss something?
I guess.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:33 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:13 pm
4 or more adults where 1 or more is unrelated. In other words, The Golden Girls would be criminals in Shawnee, KS. What will they do when Rose says that Dorothy, Blanche and Sophia are cousins? Genealogy searches? DNA tests?
No Full House there either! :lol:
:D Legal at first until Candace Cameron grew up and Lori Loughlin moved in (no, I was never a viewer, I looked it up).

The same thing was tried in Missoula a long time ago. It's not in place, but I can't remember why.
I had to look it up too.... :roll:
Full House is an American television sitcom created by Jeff Franklin for ABC. The show is about widowed father Danny Tanner who enlists his brother-in-law Jesse Katsopolis and childhood best friend Joey Gladstone to help raise his three daughters...

Thought it'd be a no no from the get go.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:48 pm

Ah.
Thx.

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:59 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:17 pm
Unbelievable.
Republicans again wanting smaller government, this time small ennough to fit in your apartment.

:puke-left:

Assuming this could not stand up to a court challenge.

A Kansas city voted unanimously to ban co-living in rental units, effectively making roommates illegal
That essentially would make college students living off campus in shared housing impossible
They would not be exempt.
They call me Creamy Tawdry.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

.Oomba. wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:02 am
Ulysses wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:59 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 12:17 pm
Unbelievable.
Republicans again wanting smaller government, this time small ennough to fit in your apartment.

:puke-left:

Assuming this could not stand up to a court challenge.

A Kansas city voted unanimously to ban co-living in rental units, effectively making roommates illegal
That essentially would make college students living off campus in shared housing impossible
They would not be exempt.
After clicking on the link, it looks like there's a bit of a loophole:

"The Shawnee ordinance said a group of people is co-living if it includes at least four adults who are unrelated. Only one adult needs to be unrelated for the entire group to be classified as unrelated, according to the Kansas City Star."

So I interpret this as meaning that if the housing shared by only three unrelated people, then it would be legal. Add one more, and forget about it. The last shared place I lived while attending UC Berkeley had a total of three. So that would have been legal. After that, I found a little studio flat on the other side of town. Again, legal. But I think this Shawnee Kansas law is stupid. Very stupid. Extremely stupid. I hope it's thrown out in court.

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:01 pm
Communist. 😯

Cute, but the threat is all too real.
I never thought I'd think that the US
was going to abandon self-governance
for a fascist glitter cult of personality.

I might have been wrong.
They call me Creamy Tawdry.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I'm not a fan of Elon Musk, nor of Twitter, but if he ruins Twitter, I wonder how hard it would be for another entrepreneur to come along with an alternative, more popular platform?

PS-Nick Fuentes is an ass.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Anyone who doesn't think the Republican party is totally in thrall to a fascist glitter cult of personality hasn't been paying attention for the past few years.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:05 am
Anyone who doesn't think the Republican party is totally in thrall to a fascist glitter cult of personality hasn't been paying attention for the past few years.
Certainly, but I think there's a lot of denial going on. Nobody wants to think it "could happen in America..." Not good.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Regular church goers wear upside down American flag lapel pins to signify something, allegedly normal people vote for criminally insane public officials who mostly do nothing but tell lies, a lot of people believe shit that's crazy or proven false, the current fad of book banning and general disparagement of liberal civilized society....all of it portends a shitrain of varying levels of trouble coming down the line.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 3:06 pm
Regular church goers wear upside down American flag lapel pins to signify something, allegedly normal people vote for criminally insane public officials who mostly do nothing but tell lies, a lot of people believe shit that's crazy or proven false, the current fad of book banning and general disparagement of liberal civilized society....all of it portends a shitrain of varying levels of trouble coming down the line.
It's good to be old. And live on the West Coast.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

An oldie but a goodie

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:26 pm
An oldie but a goodie
So, GQP leadership is pro-Russian, anti-democratic, lying cowards. Maybe a little shocking in 2017, old news today.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The founders of our country sure were smart.....they knew that the most serious threat to the country would never be from outside the country.