O Canada

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: O Canada

Unread post by O Really »

Canada federal election (called by Trudeau perhaps in a moment of opps) is Monday 9/20.
Comparative list of parties issues is below.
Information about the election is here. https://www.elections.ca/content2.aspx? ... dex&lang=e

"Some fear US-style polarization will follow"
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ca ... uxbndlbing
(sigh)

O Really
Admiral

So Trudeau gets to keep his job with a not-really-even-close election. Few changes across the board except for 6 seats formerly held by "parties' nobody ever heard of all got distributed to the major parties. Much like California, a lot of hoopla, not much different - overall pretty much a waste of time and resources. I don't know what the Canadian snap election cost, but California spent over $200mil on the ridiculous recall attempt. One of the big issues in the recall was management of the homeless - I wonder if that $200mil could have made a small dent in that effort, eh?

Interesting spread of votes in the Canadian election - Quebec voted largely for the BQ (duh), and the prairies voted Conservative. Ontario and most cities where people actually live voted Liberal. BC voted Liberal in Vancouver and Victoria, but most of northern BC voted NDP, meaning they would be happy for the guy on the right to be PM instead of the guy on the left. Of course, the guy on the right is more left politically than the the guy on the right, but would anybody wearing a turban get votes for high national office in the US?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

A glimmer of hope for mankind.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

What I really love about it is that nearly all the news blurbs about this is how it's somehow a setback for Trudeau... cause he didn't get a parliamentary (Congressional?) majority. Shoot, he's got enough votes from the more left party to do whatever he wants, eh what?

I wish we had someone here like Trudeau. Not that Biden is bad, but... I can't see Harris winning in 2024.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

PS-Did I ever mention my paternal grandparents are from Quebec? Trois-Rivieres, supposedly. Never been there, myself. I met my Quebequois grandfather once. Saw him across the room on a visit to Providence. He was a good dresser.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 pm
What I really love about it is that nearly all the news blurbs about this is how it's somehow a setback for Trudeau... cause he didn't get a parliamentary (Congressional?) majority. Shoot, he's got enough votes from the more left party to do whatever he wants, eh what?

I wish we had someone here like Trudeau. Not that Biden is bad, but... I can't see Harris winning in 2024.
Closest thing we've got to Trudeau is Newsom.
But the reason it's considered a setback is that the main purpose of calling a snap election is to take advantage of some set of circumstances that will let your party gain a majority. But he's still got a minority government, and sure the NDP's will mostly go along, but not for free. He had hoped to get a majority, and ended up gaining only 2 seats.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK, I confess I'm not conversant in Canadian politics. I thought the more left party (NDP?) would advance most if not all of Trudeau's agenda. No?

Well, he did gain two seats. That would be all Biden would need to ignore Manchin for the next two years. But we don't have snap elections here, so it's moot.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/americas ... index.html

Man beats on nurse for vaccinating his wife without his permission
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:14 am

Asshole. I hope they caught him.

Parents of high school students started a petition to remove a principal who loves classic heavy metal band Iron Maiden

Parents of high school students in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada have started a petition to remove a school official because of the classic heavy metal band Iron Maiden.

Close to 400 people have signed the Change.org petition to transfer Eden High School Principal Sharon Burns.

IHeartRadio reported that the petition was started by Debbi Lynn.

"As concerned parents with impressionable children at Eden High School in St. Catharines, Ontario, we are deeply disturbed that the principal assigned to the school blatantly showed Satanic symbols and her allegiance to Satanic practices on her public social media platforms where all the students can see them under @edenprincipal (not her personal account)," the petition said.

On Friday, an update on the petition said they didn't want to remove Burns because of her love for Iron Maiden but because of "openly displaying her OWN handmade sign with the 666 clearly displayed on it."

The number 666 is used to represent the devil, antichrist, or evil.

Iron Maiden was formed in 1975 in East London, England, and grew popular in the early 1980s with several albums going platinum or gold including "The Number of the Beast" in 1982 and "Piece of Mind" in 1983. The group is still touring.

Burns's Twitter bio identifies her as "Principal at Eden High School. Growth Mindset Practitioner. Fueled by metal & ska. & chickens."
This article made me sad until:
A petition in support of Burns had more than 10,000 supporters by Friday night.

"It is ridiculous that a couple of parents only judge her role as a principal only based on an instagram post. (About liking the band Iron Maiden. That's it.) Eden High School is a public school. Not a Christian school. If you somehow don't like the principal of your child, grandchild, relative etc.'s school, then send them to another one," it said.

The incident is reminiscent of the "Satanic Panic" of the 1980s, when conspiracy theorists claimed satanic cults were abusing children, NPR reported....
I signed the latter petition. The tally is now 11,335 to 422 in support of Mrs. Burns. :clap:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Nervous up north.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:05 pm
Nervous up north.
Build a wall, make America pay for it.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:19 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Nervous up north.
I read that story yesterday. After, I thought "those Canadians are pretty smart." I might even go ahead with that plan I once had to establish an electric dog polishing business somewhere in the Northwest Territory. I'll post ads for it in French so they won't know where I came from. I don't do shame good.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:05 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Quick search - I can't find any articles saying that they caught him, but maybe some of the French language articles cover it.
Vrede too wrote:
Parents of high school students started a petition to remove a principal who loves classic heavy metal band Iron Maiden

... Close to 400 people have signed the Change.org petition to transfer Eden High School Principal Sharon Burns....
A petition in support of Burns had more than 10,000 supporters by Friday night....
I signed the latter petition. The tally is now 11,335 to 422 in support of Mrs. Burns. :clap:
The anti-Burns petition was withdrawn. The pro-Burns petition says:
Confirmed victory
This petition made change with 24,641 supporters!
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:32 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:19 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Nervous up north.
I read that story yesterday. After, I thought "those Canadians are pretty smart." I might even go ahead with that plan I once had to establish an electric dog polishing business somewhere in the Northwest Territory. I'll post ads for it in French so they won't know where I came from. I don't do shame good.
Do you polish electric dogs or do you use an electric polisher on normal dogs, and would you polish a Polish dog?

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

It's "polish" not "Polish" but never mind that. The dogs I would polish are anything from sled dogs to house pets. Several degrees of polish to select.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 pm
It's "polish" not "Polish" but never mind that. The dogs I would polish are anything from sled dogs to house pets. Several degrees of polish to select.
Don't tell these guys, you'll give them a complex and they're already in therapy.

5 Polish Dog Breeds Ready for Polishing

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:23 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:56 pm
Don't tell these guys, you'll give them a complex and they're already in therapy.

5 Polish Dog Breeds Ready for Polishing
Damn, I never knew that Kielbasa is made from canines. :(
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:42 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Quick search - I can't find any articles saying that they caught him, but maybe some of the French language articles cover it.
Vrede too wrote:

... Close to 400 people have signed the Change.org petition to transfer Eden High School Principal Sharon Burns....
A petition in support of Burns had more than 10,000 supporters by Friday night....
The anti-Burns petition was withdrawn. The pro-Burns petition says:
Confirmed victory
This petition made change with 24,641 supporters!
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
I feel like since it's a public school, displaying "666" is no different than someone working at the school wearing a cross necklace or displaying a bible verse.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:26 pm
I feel like since it's a public school, displaying "666" is no different than someone working at the school wearing a cross necklace or displaying a bible verse.
:thumbup: In fact, "666" is more Xtian than those of us that don't think the number has any special significance at all. Plus, the article doesn't give the context of "openly displaying her OWN handmade sign with the 666 clearly displayed on it." It might just be an Iron Maiden goof.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The school can't have it both ways - if it's a religious (satanic) symbol, then it's protected like any other religious symbol. At least in the US - Canadian law differs maybe enough to matter. But if it's not a religious symbol, then there's no valid reason to remove her for putting it up. Unless there's some rule for putting up other pictures too. People are stupid to make issues over stuff like this.