O Canada

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: O Canada

Unread post by O Really »

Sign on the gym squat rack:
"Please re-rack your weights. Every time a weight is left on the floor Justin Bieber writes a song. Don't let Justin Bieber write any more songs" :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:08 pm
Sign on the gym squat rack:
"Please re-rack your weights. Every time a weight is left on the floor Justin Bieber writes a song. Don't let Justin Bieber write any more songs" :lol:
Opps. Is it too late now to say . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRh_vgS2dFE

:wave:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes ... tment/amp/

Yeah, take that Canada. Here in America, we just walk right in, no waiting at all. It's apples to oranges and we win.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:44 pm
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sallypipes ... tment/amp/

Yeah, take that Canada. Here in America, we just walk right in, no waiting at all. It's apples to oranges and we win.
Not counting the tens of millions excluded from the line entirely. I'll bet that Canada still gets somewhat superior outcomes for 2/3 the per capita cost. In other words, if Canada spent what we do using its single payer, it would get vastly superior outcomes with no wait times. Of course, Sally Pipes and Forbes don't mention this.
Contributor
Sally Pipes

I cover health policy as President of the Pacific Research Institute

Sally C. Pipes is president, CEO, and Thomas W. Smith Fellow in Health Care Policy at the Pacific Research Institute. Her latest book is The False Promise of Single-Payer Health Care (Encounter). Follow her on Twitter @sallypipes.
Pacific Research Institute

The Pacific Research Institute (PRI), officially the "Pacific Research Institute for Public Policy," is a think tank founded in 1979 whose stated vision is the promotion of "the principles of individual freedom and personal responsibility. The Institute believes these principles are best encouraged through policies that emphasize a free economy, private initiative, and limited government." The institute is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation, and had $4.8 million in revenue in 2012. The Pacific Research Institute has associated with other think-tanks like the American Enterprise Institute and the Cato Institute, including filing joint briefs in major legal cases.
:roll:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, the article is generally bullshit, starting with the use of the term "ration healthcare" and the fact that Sally didn't know or bother to mention that each province has its own version and some are better than others. Nor that there is also private insurance in Canada, too, in addition to Medicare. Maybe she should have read this: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/ ... ystem.html Sure those paying the bill, whether Medicare or private insurance, want to save in costs and sometimes that results -reasonable or not - in denial of benefits. And most of the current Canadian issues are created by Trump-lite slime buckets like Ford in Ontario who's trying to cut benefits. But there is a lot of "waiting" in America, too. Try getting an appointment as a new patient most anywhere. And nobody really believes that anything they pay for in taxes is "free." Least of all the right-wingers who are the first to point out every dollar of tax and what it's spent on.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of Canadian healthcare...

"Ballsy participants sought for Vancouver testicle study"

Nearly five per cent of males can suffer so much that mere walking can be painful if they have chronic pain in their testicles and scrotum, the latter of which are the sacs of skin surrounding the testicles.

Dr. Ryan Flannigan, a Vancouver General Hospital urologist who is the director of the male infertility and sexual medicine research program at the University of B.C., said that he has seen up to 100 men with chronic scrotum pain in the last six months alone. Some patients come from as far away as the Northwest Territories. But many men don’t bother to seek medical attention because, as Flannigan points out, males are generally more reluctant than women to go to doctors and more inclined to brush off medical concerns.

Flannigan, who specializes in testicular and penile abnormalities, said testicular pain is described by patients as either constant aching or episodes of sharp pain.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... icle-study

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Hard to believe that she didn't mention the time that some Canadian guy traveled all the way to the land of Americans just to see one of our superior doctors.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

She didn't bother to mention the 25 or so walk-in clinics around Victoria, one of which you can visit while you're at Wal-Mart...

http://uptownmedicalclinic.ca/

As with many other bits of research I've read, I'm reminded that while statistics may not lie, that statisticians definitely do.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 pm
Speaking of Canadian healthcare...

"Ballsy participants sought for Vancouver testicle study"

Nearly five per cent of males can suffer so much that mere walking can be painful if they have chronic pain in their testicles and scrotum, the latter of which are the sacs of skin surrounding the testicles....
Well aren't you the bluebird of happiness?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:21 pm
She didn't bother to mention the 25 or so walk-in clinics around Victoria, one of which you can visit while you're at Wal-Mart...

http://uptownmedicalclinic.ca/

As with many other bits of research I've read, I'm reminded that while statistics may not lie, that statisticians definitely do.

"statisticians definitely do"

when well paid

O Really
Admiral

Canadian Professor Fired After Allegedly Demanding Sex, Lobster And Moose Meat From A Student For Better Grades

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/c ... &ocid=iehp

I've got an old friend who's taught psychology at Cape Breton for a long time. Can't wait to see if he knew this clown and if there's more to the story. :lol:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 pm
Canadian Professor Fired After Allegedly Demanding Sex, Lobster And Moose Meat From A Student For Better Grades

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/c ... &ocid=iehp

I've got an old friend who's taught psychology at Cape Breton for a long time. Can't wait to see if he knew this clown and if there's more to the story. :lol:
It just struck me that
Sex
Lobster
And
Moose
is a SLAM dunk :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Trump-like sliminess in True North. Election of guys that this make you think maybe giving everybody a vote isn't such a great idea. Maybe his health issues will get rid of him and he can follow his worthless druggie brother out of the building.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics ... &ocid=iehp

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 am
Trump-like sliminess in True North. Election of guys that this make you think maybe giving everybody a vote isn't such a great idea. Maybe his health issues will get rid of him and he can follow his worthless druggie brother out of the building.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics ... ar-AAEtuv7
Who could have ever guessed that electing him might not be a good idea? I mean, they're completely different people, right?

Doug:

Rob:

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

25 years later, botched "O Canada" is still hilarious. (the rendition is funny, but even funnier if you read the article)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... -1.5217652

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:32 pm
Very Canadian drug smuggling:

Snow globes sent from Canada contained $1 million worth of liquid methamphetamine
Reminds me of one of my all time favorite "The Far Side" cartoons......an old farmer type guy and his wife are sitting on the porch of their shack in a snow globe and the edge of the frame shows a giant hand heading toward the snow globe and the old guy says "better get inside, Ma. Storm's comin'."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D I miss The Far Side.

Stumbled on this, O Really:

YouTubers Who Died in Waterfall Plunge Were Inspired by ‘Jackass’ Movie

Not for any morbid reasons, but you might want to check out BC's Shannon Falls Provincial Park sometime. Looks beautiful. "The main point of interest is Shannon Falls, the third highest waterfall in BC, where water falls from a height of 335 meters (1,099 ft)."
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It does look beautiful. Maybe next summer. But we're not jumping or being swept off any waterfalls. I like my comfort zone, thank you.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As Amazon Burns, Canada's Boreal Forest Also Faces Serious Threats
Canada’s boreal is the largest intact forest in the world and we need to do more to protect it, researchers say.

... “The world is rightfully looking with concern at the Amazon, but what people don’t realize is Canada is right behind Brazil in terms of forest degradation,” said Anthony Swift, director of the National Resource Defense Council’s Canadian program....
Been going on for decades, but Alberta's new United Conservative Premier Jason Kenney won't do a thing to stop it.
1312. ETTD.