Animals

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Animals

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:42 pm
Laundry time.

https://youtu.be/rbE53XUtVw0
What about Gabby?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Re:FloridaMan-Animals

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Giant African land snails have wreaked havoc on parts of Florida before. Although they are not native inhabitants of the state, officials have traced infestations dating back to the 1960s to escaped house pets and illegal importations by religious groups, the Tampa Bay Times reported. Owning and importing giant African land snails without a permit is against the law in the U.S. Any attempt to move the snails after a sighting is also illegal without proper documentation.

Pets?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Re:FloridaMan-Animals

Unread post by Vrede too »

"religious groups"?
... Florida's agriculture department has called the giant African snail "one of the most damaging" mollusk subtypes in the world. Its unusually large size and ability to procreate in vast quantities allows the creature to infiltrate surrounding areas quickly, posing threats to vegetation and infrastructure because of its appetite for at least 500 different plants as well as paint and stucco. At four months old, a single snail can lay thousands of eggs at a time and each can grow to be 8 inches long as an adult....
:shock: Comments:
These things are no joke -- I was sitting in my lawn chair when I saw one coming right at me. An hour later I looked again from my chair, and he was still chasing me
I accidentally stepped in front of one, side by side with an asphalt roller. I didn't know which way to dart for 2.5 hours. It was mentally taxing.
My one legged tortoise is currently kicking one of these snail's butt in the 10 meter dash, I will let you know how the race ends on Saturday. Hopefully, I will have some gloves by then.
I've heard that you're safe as long as you don't make any sudden moves.
I heard it is best to walk away in a zig zag pattern to keep them from catching you.
They move at a snail's pace.
:lol:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I once wrestled a snail to a draw. It took a week.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:21 pm
I once wrestled a snail to a draw. It took a week.
:D I would have bet on you stomping it.

South Africa: Wildlife trophy hunter shot ‘in cold blood’ next to car

A wildlife trophy hunter who killed elephants and lions and uploaded photos of himself next to their carcasses has been shot dead in South Africa.

Riaan Naude, 55, was gunned down “at close range” when a car pulled up next to his truck in Marken Road, Limpopo – an area which includes part of the Kruger National Park wildlife reserve....
Poetic justice.
Are they having him mounted?
:lol:
Two Elephants, a Lion and a Hyena were seen high fiving each other as they left the scene.
The commenters are unanimously high fiving, too.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.sciencealert.com/two-orcas- ... ng-grounds

"Now, new research has confirmed in detail the true culprit: a pair of orcas (Orcinus orca), hunting the sharks and slurping out their delicious, nutritious, vitamin-rich livers.

Once upon a time, the fishing town of Gansbaai on the South African coast was something of a mecca for shark-spotters – so heavily populated with the predators that nearby Dyer Island is considered the great white shark capital of the world. Over the last few years, however, the sharks' presence has been diminishing.

In addition, since 2017, eight great white sharks have washed ashore at Gansbaai, seven of them sans livers (and some without their hearts) – the hallmark of an orca attack. The wounds on these sharks are distinctive, and have been traced to the same pair of orcas. It's likely, scientists believe, that the pair are responsible for many more great white deaths that haven't washed ashore."

If these two share their "goodie bag" source with other Orcas and offspring will the Great Whites become endangered?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Me too! :-|| :-||

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:54 am

"Now, new research has confirmed in detail the true culprit: a pair of orcas (Orcinus orca), hunting the sharks and slurping out their delicious, nutritious, vitamin-rich livers.

Once upon a time, the fishing town of Gansbaai on the South African coast was something of a mecca for shark-spotters – so heavily populated with the predators that nearby Dyer Island is considered the great white shark capital of the world. Over the last few years, however, the sharks' presence has been diminishing.

In addition, since 2017, eight great white sharks have washed ashore at Gansbaai, seven of them sans livers (and some without their hearts) – the hallmark of an orca attack. The wounds on these sharks are distinctive, and have been traced to the same pair of orcas. It's likely, scientists believe, that the pair are responsible for many more great white deaths that haven't washed ashore."

If these two share their "goodie bag" source with other Orcas and offspring will the Great Whites become endangered?
The Great Whites are fleeing the area.

https://www.businessinsider.com/south-a ... udy-2022-7
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:21 am
South Africa: Wildlife trophy hunter shot ‘in cold blood’ next to car
Two Elephants, a Lion and a Hyena were seen high fiving each other as they left the scene.
The commenters are unanimously high fiving, too.
O Really wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:56 am
Me too! :-|| :-||

:thumbup: More comments:
I think a new sport may have just been created.
The suspect was wearing grey, stood 9' tall, had big ears and 2 large pultruding white teeth. Any information should be directed to local authorities.
Hope Donald's sons take note.
I wonder if he thought it was "sport" before he was shot. Won't be losing any sleep.
One less serial killer.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:12 pm
Wat

https://www.horg.com/horg/?page_id=2
I knew they were up to no good, they don't look trustworthy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:12 pm
Wat

https://www.horg.com/horg/?page_id=2
:oops: I thought that it was serious until I looked at the pics. I always immediately recycle mine in favor of twist ties. Does that make me a species-ist?

OCCLUPA WALL STREET!

Aside:
Bread clips (Occlupanids) weren't invented until 1952.
Twist ties weren't invented until 1961.
That's how recently plastic bags became ubiquitous.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

For starters, the clips can help you determine the freshness of the bread you’re buying. They’re color-coded according to which day of the week the bread was baked on: blue for Monday, green for Tuesday, red for Thursday, white for Friday, and yellow for Saturday. (For some reason, the system doesn’t include Wednesdays or Sundays, so buy the closest day’s color for the freshest bread.)

Here are 10 other uses for these handy (and free) little pieces of plastic:

Use as a makeshift bookmark so you don’t lose your page.
Clip matching socks together before washing or placing in drawers.
Label computer, cable and other electrical cords.
Keep earbud headphone cords untangled.
Stick beneath the end of tape to mark the end of the roll.
Help attach strands of lights to tree branches.
Use as markers in your herb or flower garden to label plants.
Last-minute wine glass charms—put your guests’ initials on them and clip on to glass stems.
Use to label spare keys so you know what they unlock.
Hold broken flip-flops in place from the bottom.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:58 pm
For starters, the clips can help you determine the freshness of the bread you’re buying. They’re color-coded according to which day of the week the bread was baked on: blue for Monday, green for Tuesday, red for Thursday, white for Friday, and yellow for Saturday. (For some reason, the system doesn’t include Wednesdays or Sundays, so buy the closest day’s color for the freshest bread.)

Here are 10 other uses for these handy (and free) little pieces of plastic:

Use as a makeshift bookmark so you don’t lose your page.
Clip matching socks together before washing or placing in drawers.
Label computer, cable and other electrical cords.
Keep earbud headphone cords untangled.
Stick beneath the end of tape to mark the end of the roll.
Help attach strands of lights to tree branches.
Use as markers in your herb or flower garden to label plants.
Last-minute wine glass charms—put your guests’ initials on them and clip on to glass stems.
Use to label spare keys so you know what they unlock.
Hold broken flip-flops in place from the bottom.
I hope you googled, copied and pasted that.

If you wrote it, it's time to worry.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:01 pm

I hope you googled, copied and pasted that.

If you wrote it, it's time to worry.
Yeah, shoulda had it in quotes or include a link, but it didn't seem link-worthy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:58 pm
For starters, the clips can help you determine the freshness of the bread you’re buying. They’re color-coded according to which day of the week the bread was baked on: blue for Monday, green for Tuesday, red for Thursday, white for Friday, and yellow for Saturday. (For some reason, the system doesn’t include Wednesdays or Sundays, so buy the closest day’s color for the freshest bread.) ...
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:54 am

They're sharing the knowledge

https://a-z-animals.com/blog/discover-h ... oothpaste/

"orcas have developed special hunting methods that make it almost child play to eat shark livers.

When an orca pod spots a shark, they will often surround it, stopping it from swimming away. Then, with a simple and quick motion, they will spin the shark around to where it is belly up. If you watch Shark Week, you know what happens when a shark goes belly up! Once belly up, sharks go into a deep sleep known as tonic immobility. They are essentially paralyzed for at last a minute, plenty of time for an orca to secure a tasty liver."

"Once the shark is immobilized, the orcas will surgically bite the shark and nudge it, causing the liver to literally squeeze out."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Have you seen the orcas snarf seals from the beach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-arSit ... wWDJ5P6WqA
Last edited by O Really on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:33 am
Have you seen the orcas snarf seals from the beach?

Link didn't work, but I have seen a video of them lined up at the seal swim through.