The quandary for the trump cult

A conservative forum.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The quandary for the trump cult

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:48 pmYep, the original concept behind primary elections was to allow citizen input instead of just the party hacks; go and read a definition of US primary elections from an encyclopedia or wiki and you will learn this. This whole topic is about the GOP presidential primaries; I did not mean to suggest a state can decide to cancel all primaries; just the GOP in certain states did this. I apologize for the ambiguity on that. And, again, the initial topic is about GOP primaries being cancelled so that trump will have no competition from jesus or the other GOP long shots, thus preventing unsatisfied GOP primary voters being able to voice their displeasure with the incumbent GOP president. Those primary voters that would vote for someone other than trump (so far in four states) cannot now do that because those primaries will not happen.
There was no ambiguity and you have nothing to apologize for. Of course this entire discussion was always about the cancellation of GOP presidential primaries and nothing else. Pansy partisan PP just desperately resorted to asshole pedantry when s/he floundered on every aspect of this discussion - facts, common sense, logic and history. The argument would be over immediately if PP provided examples where previous underdogs called for or expressed appreciation for cancelled party primaries. That they don't exist is proof of PP's failure, but s/he doesn't and won't ever have the spine to admit it.

Or, we could look at all 3 current GOP long shots explicitly calling PP a filthy and idiotic liar:

Bill Weld goes off on Republicans’ plans to cancel presidential primaries in several states
"That might be fine in a monarchy, but we overthrew ours two centuries ago."

Joe Walsh says Republican Party is a 'cult' and will go straight to the voters after canceled primaries

Sanford hopes to debate Trump; wants to avoid legal action over canceled primary

Or, there's the joint op-ed they wrote, their first one ever and likely the only one they will ever write together:

GOP Trump challengers slam canceled primaries: 'Only the weak fear competition'

They REJECT "advocates" like PP, and know them for the anti-democratic Trumpettes they really are.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Well, it's certainly been a head butting type experience. I wanted to completely clarify what point I was trying to make to pp. So, here goes:
1. Let's assume there are one million registered GOP voters in South Carolina
2. Let's further assume they all tend to vote in the SC GOP primary
3. Let's assume that 10%, 50%, or even 80% of them (100,000, 500,000, or 800,000 respectively) have had enough of trump and would not vote for him in the primary or the general election.
4. It is a fact that the SC GOP has cancelled its presidential primary
5. Jump back to number 3 above and you will see that anywhere from ten to eighty percent of the GOP voters cannot express their dislike of trump; they have been denied the ability to do so by virtue of number 4 above.
The topic was: is it right for the state GOP to do what they did in number 4 above.
By cancelling the primary, the party has deprived itself of what I would think is valuable information to them; a considerable number of their party members who no longer support the de facto leader of their party. You would think they'd like to know the extent of this disapproval. So, bottom line, the SC GOP has done itself no favor by suppressing or disregarding the information it would have acquired from the primary. And this of course has implications for the general election unless the RNC considers SC GOP voters to be outliers. And then there's the concept of how this sort of denies reality, even though the Republican party has been in this sort of denial of reality situation for quite some time now.
PeacefulPartier
Pilot Officer

Unread post by PeacefulPartier »

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm Well, it's certainly been a head butting type experience. I wanted to completely clarify what point I was trying to make to pp. So, here goes:
3. Let's assume that 10%, 50%, or even 80% of them (100,000, 500,000, or 800,000 respectively) have had enough of trump and would not vote for him in the primary or the general election.
5. Jump back to number 3 above and you will see that anywhere from ten to eighty percent of the GOP voters cannot express their dislike of trump; they have been denied the ability to do so by virtue of number 4 above.
The topic was: is it right for the state GOP to do what they did in number 4 above.
By cancelling the primary, the party has deprived itself of what I would think is valuable information to them; a considerable number of their party members who no longer support the de facto leader of their party. You would think they'd like to know the extent of this disapproval. So, bottom line, the SC GOP has done itself no favor by suppressing or disregarding the information it would have acquired from the primary. And this of course has implications for the general election unless the RNC considers SC GOP voters to be outliers. And then there's the concept of how this sort of denies reality, even though the Republican party has been in this sort of denial of reality situation for quite some time now.
I get what you are trying to say. I'm just trying to tell you that your faux outrage is unfounded. Currently, 94% of republicans approve of the job President Trump is doing. So there isn't 10-80% that are being alienated. There is only 6% (I don't know what it is broken down by state). So what is the point in wasting money on a primary? Use that money to run the general election campaign.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pmWell, it's certainly been a head butting type experience. I wanted to completely clarify what point I was trying to make to pp....
Good luck!
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

PeacefulPartier wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:38 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm Well, it's certainly been a head butting type experience. I wanted to completely clarify what point I was trying to make to pp. So, here goes:
I get what you are trying to say. I'm just trying to tell you that your faux outrage is unfounded. Currently, 94% of republicans approve of the job President Trump is doing. So there isn't 10-80% that are being alienated. There is only 6% (I don't know what it is broken down by state). So what is the point in wasting money on a primary? Use that money to run the general election campaign.
:lol: Outrage? I'm not outraged; not even faintly annoyed. 94% eh? That's impressive.
O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

According to Gallup's monthly average, Trump did hit 91% a couple of times during fall of 2018, and the first week of September this year, among Republicans. He hasn't been out of the 30's since the first months of his administration* with Independents. And of course, he's never out of single digits among Democrats. So his entire re-election strategy is to rely totally on the 24% of the registered voters who are Republicans. Even considering Electoral College effect, that's a pretty low level of support. So with a minority of registered voters in most states, he's going to have to rely on winning only the really red ones, since he can expect little to no support from anyone not a hard-core Republican. He can't afford any weakening in that group, as could occur if he had to ummm "debate" with other candidates or let them get any traction. So avoiding a primary is a reasonable plan, and is typical of what has become the Republican way of avoiding democratic process.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:17 pm :lol: Outrage? I'm not outraged; not even faintly annoyed. 94% eh? That's impressive.
It's not "faux outrage". PP is cowering from what the underdog Repubs are saying.

"94% of republicans [sic]" may be a little high, depending on the poll.
Gallup says that only 91% are that lockstep worshipful.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/pre ... trump.aspx
Edit: O Really beat me to it.

States run primaries, not parties, as PP just said, and states pay for them and they will still do so even if the Repug POTUS primary is canceled. "So what is the point in wasting money on a primary?" is yet another nonsensical and desperate deflection when PP has failed on every other argument.
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:17 pm :lol: Outrage? I'm not outraged; not even faintly annoyed. 94% eh? That's impressive.
It's not "faux outrage". PP is cowering from what the underdog Repubs are saying.

"94% of republicans [sic]" may be a little high, depending on the poll.
Gallup says that only 91% are that lockstep worshipful.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/203198/pre ... trump.aspx
Edit: O Really beat me to it.

States run primaries, not parties, as PP just said, and states pay for them and they will still do so even if the Repug POTUS primary is canceled. "So what is the point in wasting money on a primary?" is yet another nonsensical and desperate deflection when PP has failed on every other argument.
Yeah, well, I don't consider any action or reaction I adopt to be faux; my enthusiasm or disdain or apathy or hatred as it relates to virtually anything is genuine, not faux. And something else I'm not adopting a faux stance on is who or what GOP voters get to vote for. I don't give a hoot in hell who they vote for; I just considered it somewhat honorable that a handful of them have decided to stand up against the juvenile pathological liar they've saddled themselves with. Those somewhat honorable would be candidates have been denied the chance to shine any light on the dissent in their party by the four states with cancelled primaries. But I suppose that's the underlying rationale for cancelling them in the first place; keep the rational voters from creating any wobble within the cult.....sort of a fascist type tactic. Dissent is verboten.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:24 amYeah, well, I don't consider any action or reaction I adopt to be faux; my enthusiasm or disdain or apathy or hatred as it relates to virtually anything is genuine, not faux. And something else I'm not adopting a faux stance on is who or what GOP voters get to vote for. I don't give a hoot in hell who they vote for; I just considered it somewhat honorable that a handful of them have decided to stand up against the juvenile pathological liar they've saddled themselves with. Those somewhat honorable would be candidates have been denied the chance to shine any light on the dissent in their party by the four states with cancelled primaries. But I suppose that's the underlying rationale for cancelling them in the first place; keep the rational voters from creating any wobble within the cult.....sort of a fascist type tactic. Dissent is verboten.
Even non-Repugs should be able to recognize the anti-democratic injustice of it without in effect being called a liar by PP who likes to whine about name calling even when no names have been called.
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Here comes some more fascist doctrine disguised as something other than what it is. I hope the rational Republican voters wake up to this.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-campai ... 28217.html

Eliminate any possibility of opposition to the great leader. Perfect. And a lot of these idiots will certainly fall in line. Incredible
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pmHere comes some more fascist doctrine disguised as something other than what it is. I hope the rational Republican voters wake up to this.

Eliminate any possibility of opposition to the great leader. Perfect. And a lot of these idiots will certainly fall in line. Incredible
"This is not being done from a position of weakness," ALWAYS equals this IS being done from a position of weakness.
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:35 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pmHere comes some more fascist doctrine disguised as something other than what it is. I hope the rational Republican voters wake up to this.

"This is not being done from a position of weakness," ALWAYS equals this IS being done from a position of weakness.
Yeah, that line in the story stuck out for me; the classic Nazi tactic; deny the obvious and make it sound like something other than what it is.
O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pm I hope the rational Republican voters wake up to this.
:lol: Yeah, all 10 of them.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:25 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pm I hope the rational Republican voters wake up to this.
:lol: Yeah, all 10 of them.
True enough, but I was thinking big; like all the real voters that will vote next year. It all depends on how harsh and heavy the trump propaganda machine and lie factory are able to obfuscate and deflect between now and then. I still sort of think trump will quit before the election. I might even send him an email suggesting this. :x
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Having people like this in the cult is not really a quandary; it's nearly required. Nutjob du jour
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/republi ... 00505.html

Some Gaetz great and unhinged wisdom.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pmHaving people like this in the cult is not really a quandary; it's nearly required. Nutjob du jour

It may be the only time in history that the phrase "malicious Captain Kangaroo" has been uttered. I blame billy.pilgrim for Representative Matt Gaetz ;) .

I found this:
http://www.kiwireport.com/fact-secrets- ... -kangaroo/
First Racially Integrated Children’s Show

The show was not only considered the longest running children’s show of the time, but it was also the first to racially integrate. With the casting of James Wall, history was made in the sitcom genre. The African-American stage manager decided to go into acting after seeing what he was capable of, and landed the role of Captain Kangaroo’s neighbor, Mr. Baxter. Way to go on the modernizing and understanding of civil rights, Captain Kangaroo!
:clap: :-||

Hunter Thompson spoke at my U in the late 1970s. He was drinking Wild Turkey and had no speech, just answered questions. Early on he said that he wasn't into drugs anymore. When my turn came I expressed my surprise at this and said, "That's like Captain Kangaroo saying he isn't into kids anymore."

After his Wild Turkey spit-take and when he and the hundreds in the audience got done laughing he said, "They put it in my contract that I have to say that." :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
1312. ETTD.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm
neoplacebo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pmHaving people like this in the cult is not really a quandary; it's nearly required. Nutjob du jour

It may be the only time in history that the phrase "malicious Captain Kangaroo" has been uttered. I blame billy.pilgrim for Representative Matt Gaetz ;) .

I found this:

The show was not only considered the longest running children’s show of the time, but it was also the first to racially integrate. With the casting of James Wall, history was made in the sitcom genre. The African-American stage manager decided to go into acting after seeing what he was capable of, and landed the role of Captain Kangaroo’s neighbor, Mr. Baxter. Way to go on the modernizing and understanding of civil rights, Captain Kangaroo!

Hunter Thompson spoke at my U in the late 1970s. He was drinking Wild Turkey and had no speech, just answered questions. Early on he said that he wasn't into drugs anymore. When my turn came I expressed my surprise at this and said, "That's like Captain Kangaroo saying he isn't into kids anymore."

After his Wild Turkey spit-take and when he and the hundreds in the audience got done laughing he said, "They put it in my contract that I have to say that." :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
:lol: Cool; sounds like a good event. I remember watching Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid; him and Mr Green Jeans and there was a moose puppet or somebody dressed up as a moose. Also remember the big pockets and the stripes on his coat. I don't remember those other guys on the show that were mentioned in the wingunt article......I had to go :shock: when read the Captain had someone named Slim Goodbody on his show. Never saw him but he sounds attractive. And probably fast.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm
Vrede too wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm

I found this:

:lol: Cool; sounds like a good event. I remember watching Captain Kangaroo when I was a kid; him and Mr Green Jeans and there was a moose puppet or somebody dressed up as a moose. Also remember the big pockets and the stripes on his coat. I don't remember those other guys on the show that were mentioned in the wingunt article......I had to go :shock: when read the Captain had someone named Slim Goodbody on his show. Never saw him but he sounds attractive. And probably fast.
I loved to watch, especially Tom Terrific and his dog Mighty Manfred

https://youtu.be/CAU3FNua3cE

This could be a spoiler, but you should be old enough to take it - Mr. Green Jeans was a foul mouthed drunk.
I worked at Opry Land for a year in the 70s. We slipped off one day to watch the Capt himself film a special. Every other word out of Green Jeans mouth was fuck or goddamn.
It took a bunch of takes to get a clean comment about the animal (sloth, I think) on tape, then they would walk him out of range for the Captain's lines.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:lol: No, never knew about that. Good for Mr Green Jeans....after all, there's only so much shit you can take. And it wouldn't surprise me to find out the Captain had a pint of liquor and a hefty block of Afghan hashish in each of those big pockets.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:45 pm
Vrede too wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Yeah, that line in the story stuck out for me; the classic Nazi tactic; deny the obvious and make it sound like something other than what it is.
This is a disgusting twist. Minnesota will have a Repug primary, but:
Minnesota Republican Party leaves Trump challengers off presidential primary ballot

President Donald Trump will be the only choice on the ballot in Minnesota's Republican presidential primary, even though he's not the only candidate.

The state Republican Party has decided voters won't have any alternatives.

Its chairwoman, Jennifer Carnahan, sent a letter to the Minnesota Secretary of State on Oct. 24 outlining the party's "determination of candidates" for the March 3 Republican primary ballot. Trump is the only name listed.

Absent are three other Republicans who, while long shots, are prominent political names running active campaigns: former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld, former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and former U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh of Illinois.

"The idea that we're taking our cues from North Korea or the Soviet Union in terms of voter access and voter participation just seems weird to me," Sanford said in an interview Thursday. Minnesota voters are the biggest losers in the party decision, he said, adding that he suspects that state party leaders are worried a contested primary would show Trump isn't as popular as he claims.

Lucy Caldwell, Walsh's campaign manager, called it "appalling but unsurprising news, given the hold that Trump's cult of personality has over some of these state party leaders."

The state GOP released a statement from Carnahan, which said: "President Trump is extremely popular in Minnesota and my job as chairwoman is to make sure we deliver our 10 electoral votes to the president on November 3, 2020." ...
The Repugs cancelling primaries in other states are saying, "Fuck you" to the voters. In Minnesota voters get to show up so that the Repugs can say, "Fuck you" to them. I'm sure that PP approves.
1312. ETTD.