Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Whack9
Commander

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So this "Close to Home" comic was in the Tacoma newspaper April 15

Some Karen wrote a scorching letter to the paper about the animal cruelty. She apparently believed that it portrayed a cat being put into a document shredder, and ranted about why the paper should drop the comic strip. She was comically incorrect.

The cartoon showed a cat being taken out of a cardboard box. The box was labeled as an “All-natural energy-efficient document shredder” because the cat was the shredder, not the item being shredded.

Fish slap-worthy.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

What a whiny bitch we have among us. Not only should she receive a robust fish slap, the slap should be preceded by something like "you ignorant slut."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:49 am
So this "Close to Home" comic was in the Tacoma newspaper April 15

Some Karen wrote a scorching letter to the paper about the animal cruelty. She apparently believed that it portrayed a cat being put into a document shredder, and ranted about why the paper should drop the comic strip. She was comically incorrect.

The cartoon showed a cat being taken out of a cardboard box. The box was labeled as an “All-natural energy-efficient document shredder” because the cat was the shredder, not the item being shredded.

Fish slap-worthy.
I got the joke instantly. 'Wireless, Rechargeable' would have worked, too.

They could have picked up the phone or sent an email or text and explained the cartoon. Instead, they printed her letter, presumably over her real name. Shamed her for being so hatefully stupid and also entertained tens of thousands of readers - 2 birds with one stone, nttawwt. Cat-fish slapped by fish wrap.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Satan on the verge of getting kicked out of NC school. But he wouldn't even be there if not for Jesus.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-caroli ... 38039.html

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 4:09 pm
Satan on the verge of getting kicked out of NC school. But he wouldn't even be there if not for Jesus.
When I was in high school in the 60's, there was a little school club that called itself the "Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Weird Things Club". I attended one meeting, found it boring, and didn't return. The people were... um... interesting. I remember after that, a sweet young thing came up to me at lunch and tearfully related that my image had been subjected to some sort of evil curse by one of the club members.

Reminds me of another "club"...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 4:09 pm
Funny thing about that:

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

27 Facts About The Planet's Geography That Will Completely Distort Your Sense Of Being

... 2."Maine is the closest US state to Africa."

3."If you travel from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean through the Panama canal, you go from east to west." ...

6.Toronto, Canada and Monte Carlo, Monaco, are at the same latitude....

10."New York City (waaaay up there in North America) and Naples (waaaay down there in southern Italy) are on the same latitude."

11."Africa is HUGE, and maps you've seen your whole life are hugely misleading."

If you were to pick up The United States, India, and China, you could place them all inside Africa.

... 14."Australia is wider than the moon"

The moon is about 2,112 miles wide, while Australia is about 2,485 miles wide. Obviously, the moon has more surface area though, because it's a sphere....

18."Alaska is simultaneously the furthest west, east, and northern point in the US."

To put it more scientifically: "Alaska’s Aleutian Islands arc right up to the edge of the Western Hemisphere at the 180th Meridian making Amatignak Island (179o West), Alaska the westernmost point in the US longitudinally. Alaska also has the easternmost point, Semisopochnoi Island (179o East), as the Aleutian Islands cross the 180º Meridian, into the Eastern Hemisphere. That makes Alaska the most northern, western, and eastern state, longitudinally, in the US." ...

26.In general, the United States is more south than you probably realized, and here's where a bunch of cities in the US would be if they were in this part of Earth:

27. And finally, everything is not as big as it seems:

:shock:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

That's a good article.

:clap:
One of my favorite scenes.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ever heard of a globe?

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

No comment. But I like the buffalo head with the license plate in its mouth.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Tue May 10, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:crazy: Gee, if only U-Hauls had trailer hitches, if tow bars could be rented or purchased for less than $139, and if SUVs had wheels . . . oh wait.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm
:crazy: Gee, if only U-Hauls had trailer hitches, if tow bars could be rented or purchased for less than $139, and if SUVs had wheels . . . oh wait.
I don't think most of the trucks do have trailer hitches. Anyway, if he got one that did, he'd probably have needed a tow cart. That SUV wouldn't tow with four wheels down. But another reasonable question is why didn't he rent at trailer and pull it with his SUV? Especially since he isn't using much of the truck storage since it's all filled up with SUV.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:47 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm
I don't think most of the trucks do have trailer hitches.
-0-?
10ft Moving Truck Rental
"Towing Capacity: Up to 6,000 lbs.", but it doesn't say whether one has to rent the hitch separately.
Anyway, if he got one that did, he'd probably have needed a tow cart. That SUV wouldn't tow with four wheels down.
I didn't know that. Tow Dolly: $64.90/day plus $0.79/mile. Ouch.
https://www.uhaul.com/Towing/
But another reasonable question is why didn't he rent a trailer and pull it with his SUV? Especially since he isn't using much of the truck storage since it's all filled up with SUV.
:doh: Let us count her/his fuck-ups . . .
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:08 pm
Anyway, if he got one that did, he'd probably have needed a tow cart. That SUV wouldn't tow with four wheels down.
Yeah, most, though not all, automatic transmission vehicles can't be towed four wheels down without some disconnections of parts. Jeeps can, and some trucks, but really a lot of automatic/AWD/4WD cars can't even be towed two wheels down. F'rinstance, in case you want to cure insomnia...
https://images.goodsam.com/newmotorhome ... de2020.pdf

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 pm
Yeah, most, though not all, automatic transmission vehicles can't be towed four wheels down without some disconnections of parts. Jeeps can, and some trucks, but really a lot of automatic/AWD/4WD cars can't even be towed two wheels down. F'rinstance, in case you want to cure insomnia...
Thanks, I've only towed 2 wheel trailers using a hitch. No immediate plans to buy an RV, but never say never.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

By chance, Polish cop helps Lech Walesa with flat tire in US

In this photo provided by the Connecticut State Police, Trooper Lukasz Lipert shakes hands with former Polish President Lech Walesa on Interstate 84 in Tolland, Conn., on Wednesday, May 11, 2022. State police said Lipert responded to the call of an SUV with a flat tire, and was greeted by Walesa, who had spoken in Hartford on Tuesday as part of his U.S. tour advocating for aid for refugees who have fled Ukraine during the war with Russia.

... Lipert, 35, who came to the U.S. when he was 18, told The Hartford Courant that he spoke with Walesa in Polish about their homeland and the anti-communist movement Walesa helped lead.

“It was definitely a great opportunity to meet the man who had a voice during those times,” Lipert said. “It was definitely a great experience."

Walesa, 78, led the nationwide Solidarity movement in Poland in the 1980s that eventually toppled Poland's communist leaders through an election in 1989. He received a Nobel Prize in 1983 and served as Poland's first popularly elected president from 1990 to 1995. He is a strong critic of Poland's current right-wing government....
:thumbup: So cool.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:08 pm
If I'm not mistaken, my '64 Plymouth Valiant with a Torqueflite 904 automatic transmission CAN be towed with rear wheels down. However, as I recall, even if I pointed this out to a tow truck driver he still insisted on towing it backwards with the front wheels on the ground, rear wheels in the air.

It's apparently because that particular tranny has both a front and a rear pump, so it can be towed flat, or rear wheels down.
The early 60's and prior torqueflites came with a front AND a rear pump, so those you could tow on all 4's no problem. You could also push-start them. Either the engineers decided not many people were towing/push starting or the bean counters decided it because in the early 60's they dropped the rear pump and carried that design through. I see some guys towing fwd's on tow dollies, seems to be the easiest way around this if you must run a vehicle with an automatic trans. I'd say your only safe options are a stick shift on a tow bar, fwd auto on a dolly or rwd auto on a trailer.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ub ... towed.html (post 667764)

Oh, and it can also be bump started. I know because I've done it (on a steep hill in SF).