Did WWII end the Great Depression

A place to find quick links to facts that support reality. Good for ending debates quickly, especially repeated debates.

Not intended as a place for discussion.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Did WWII end the Great Depression

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

All my life I've heard right-wingers claim that it was WWII and not FDR's policies that brought us out of the Depression.

But they never answer when I ask if government jobs that build things that blow up are so good, why do they complain so loudly about government jobs that build infrastructure
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Did WWII end the Great Depression

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm
All my life I've heard right-wingers claim that it was WWII and not FDR's policies that brought us out of the Depression.

But they never answer when I ask if government jobs that build things that blow up are so good, why do they complain so loudly about government jobs that build infrastructure
I'm not going to bother with proper fact-check citation unless someone shows up to challenge us, but you are correct. Massive government spending ended the Great Depression, there was nothing magical about it being war spending other than that it had popular and Repug support.

In fact, FDR's social spending was making great strides pre-war. Then, con resistance made him back off and we immediately stagnated and even went backwards.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.