What are you watching?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: What are you watching?

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:14 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:37 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm
The Italians refuse to be beat by a virus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRiINXik00
I know that 2 meters is the recommended social distance, but I wonder how safe the lower balconies are when several stories above you are belting out song. :shock: ;)
There's always a party pooper...
Perhaps not an unreasonable one, though.

A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 am
1) There's a BIG difference in transmission rates between being indoors and outdoors.

Just raising the obvious possibility, especially with singing. "outdoors" does not eliminate the risk. Hence, all of the closings of outdoor facilities and gatherings. Otoh, the distance from mouth to mouth here is greater than 6 feet, and most of the shut-ins are not infected.

2) There's a BIG difference between standing six feet apart horizontally and standing six feet apart horizontally and vertically.

Ummm, thanks to gravity vertically INCREASES the likely travel distance of droplets. That said, if I was out there I would add horizontally by scoping out where on the balcony the folks are above me.

But please, keep on pooping being an RN with infection control and pandemic training and experience.

FTFY.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:54 am
All your training doesn't make up for the BS you peddle.

Does "possibility" have too many syllables for you?

If you'd bothered to watch the videos you'd have seen that there is far more than six feet separating these "singers" both horizontally

Not in every case. You're just making stuff up when you're floundering rather than reviewing the video. Plus, vertical reduces the effectiveness of horizontal distance if it's anything other than dead calm.

and vertically.

:roll: As I just posted. Pay attention.

Additionally, a lot of the music is recorded, and/or people are just playing along by beating on tambourines and other instruments.

:roll: I was obviously referring to singers only.

But hey, let's see you go out there with a meter of some sort and prove that a lone trumpeter

:roll: I was obviously referring to singers only. Idk whether droplets travel through a trumpet. Straw men are wussy.

playing his heart out on a balcony somewhere out of sight is infecting the universe,

:roll: I referred to balconies below a source only. Hyperbolic straw men are wussy.

instead of what you do best: raining on any and all parades.

Got it, your ego is that brittle every time it contrasts with a little reality. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:55 pm
Clearly Vredolini wants to dictate to Italians that they can't sing or play accordions and other instruments on their balconies because, although he has no proof whatsoever, droplets might fall with gravity and then somehow reverse course.

Good luck with that. Maybe you could run for Il Duce and make so many people happy.

For fuck's sake, Vredolini, your people are already confining themselves to their cramped apartments, and you want to tell them they can't go out on their balconies and listen to a few of them sing from their balconies?

Nurse Ratchet ain't got nothing on Nurse Vredolini.
WHY ARE YOU SUCH A BUTTHURT ASSHOLE?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Clearly Vredolini wants to dictate to Italians that they can't sing or play accordions and other instruments on their balconies because, although he has no proof whatsoever, droplets might fall with gravity and then somehow reverse course.

Good luck with that. Maybe you could run for Il Duce and make so many people happy.

For fuck's sake, Vredolini, your people are already confining themselves to their cramped apartments, and you want to tell them they can't go out on their balconies and listen to a few of them sing from their balconies?

Can they go out on their balconies to sit?

and cough?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Clearly Vredolini wants to dictate to Italians

Yet another wussy straw man. I merely point out what is an obvious issue to anyone smarter than you.

that they can't sing or play accordions and other instruments

:roll: Yet more wussy straw men. I was obviously referring to singers only.

on their balconies because, although he has no proof whatsoever, droplets might fall with gravity

You need gravity proved to you? That's just sad.

and then somehow reverse course.

Gibberish.

Maybe you could run for Typhoid Mary.

It may not be safe. Why does your dick get smaller every time someone points out something that you weren't smart enough to think of on your own?

Medicine, you're excused for being ignorant: Viruses don't die at the 6 foot mark.

Physics, no excuse for your not being as adept as me:
People expel air with greater force when singing.
The 6 foot social distance is because, surprise surprise, most droplets FALL at about that mark.
FALLING droplets go from an upper balcony to a lower balcony, duh. This is why cleaning pet feet after they've been outside is recommended.
In most cases FALLING droplets will travel somewhat horizontally while falling. The greater the fall, the more potential for horizontal movement.
Singers on lower balconies inspire with greater force.

Medicine, you're excused for being ignorant: More droplets inspired = greater chance of infection.

All of this is exactly the kind of reasoning one must do in a pandemic. Which parts of it are too complex for you? Perhaps an illustration will help you out - Would you want some unmasked person coughing (or singing) in an unshielded gallery above the surgery you were undergoing?
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:10 pm
Can they go out on their balconies to sit?

and cough?
I merely sparked discussion here. They can do what they want. However, coughing on an upper balcony and deep inspiration on a lower one are far less likely to happen simultaneously than with singing the same song.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:50 pm
Everybody pipe down!

Nurse Ratshit has spoken!
Yeah, I figured that you would cower from the entire post, including the direct questions.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:09 pm
He can't help it. It's in his nature."
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:53 pm
Yeah, I figured that you would cower from the entire post, including the direct questions.
GoCubsGo wrote:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:53 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
I don't get it. Your post was innocuous and pointing out a common sense failing. It wasn't accusatory or directed at anyone, then the butthurt responses.

Guess Useless stays on ignore.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:53 pm
I don't get it. Your post was innocuous and pointing out a common sense failing. It wasn't accusatory or directed at anyone, then the butthurt responses.

Guess Useless stays on ignore.
I appreciate your pointing that out:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4028&start=40
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:37 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm
The Italians refuse to be beat by a virus...
I know that 2 meters is the recommended social distance, but I wonder how safe the lower balconies are when several stories above you are belting out song. :shock: ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:49 pm
Maybe not as essential as grocery or ammunition shopping, but likely not as risky as shopping.

If this lasts as it might, there have to be some risks taken for the sake of our spirits.

Has to be way safer than leaving daycare and public transportation open.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Been watching some Star Trek: Picard until that season finished, now I'm working on Westworld season 3.

Watched a few movies but none of them turned out to be particularly good.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:10 pm
Been watching some Star Trek: Picard until that season finished, now I'm working on Westworld season 3.

What did you think of Picard?

I liked it, but not as much as I hoped. Too dark and brooding, none of the optimism of Gene Roddenberry.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm
bannination wrote:

I liked it, but not as much as I hoped. Too dark and brooding, none of the optimism of Gene Roddenberry.

Planning on starting it tonight.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:20 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

Planning on starting it tonight.
Be curious what you think.

bannination
Captain

GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

Agree, I'm not sure those old kinds of plots would survive in today's time, so I'm happy to get what I can. It was wonderful to see Data and gang again and I think it ended on a mostly optimistic path. That last episode was hard for me to watch. We'll see what season 2 brings though.

Maybe just it's just me, but I seen the downturn of the federation a statement on things that are happening today.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:31 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

Agree, I'm not sure those old kinds of plots would survive in today's time, so I'm happy to get what I can. It was wonderful to see Data and gang again and I think it ended on a mostly optimistic path. That last episode was hard for me to watch. We'll see what season 2 brings though.

Maybe just it's just me, but I seen the downturn of the federation a statement on things that are happening today.
Why was it hard to watch?

The end seemed pretty telegraphed. Was suprised by Seven's friend.

I can see some parallels also.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

bannination wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

Ran across this awile ago.

bannination
Captain

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:36 pm
bannination wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
bannination wrote:

Why was it hard to watch?

The end seemed pretty telegraphed. Was suprised by Seven's friend.

I can see some parallels also.
Spoiler:
Just watching Data "die" again.
Those guys got me through my teenage years, so I'm quite attached.

The wife and I called what was going to happen to Picard within the second episode just by watching the intro carefully.

I'm hoping that Seven does become a permanent member of the cast.

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

The end of the world as we know it.
They call me Creamy Tawdry.