What are you watching?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: What are you watching?

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:57 pm
GoCubsGo wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Impressive, you're loaded for bear and better wired than my house (ok, but the same).
Is your dish gimbaled and GPS 'd?
Well, I had to look up "gimbaled" but no.They do make a dish that works in motion, but I don't have one. The TV in the front doesn't work when the ignition switch is on, and the main TV is partially blocked when the slides are in. But it's pretty cool the way it does work. Whenever you park, the dish automatically does a satellite search and locks in. You just have to make sure you don't park too close under a tree or, particularly in northern areas too close to a tall southwest hill. Then you take out your DISH phone app, DISH finds you and sets local channels for wherever you are. Change as often as you like. Every day if that's how much you're traveling. On Demand, etc works just like on a home set-up. It's not really supposed to work in Canada, but we can get it set to local Seattle and it's good for about 150 miles, well past Vancouver. It doesn't particularly like rain, but it's usually watchable.
I used to have the same rain problem back when I had DirecTV. A small price to pay for the freedom of your urban assault vehicle.
🚐🚍
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

MSNBC.
They call me Creamy Tawdry.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

ProudGoldfishCoddler wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm
MSNBC.
Turn it off. My Favorite martian is much better.
Trump: β€œWe had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Has anyone here seen Rectify?
Trump: β€œWe had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

billy.pilgrim wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:24 pm
ProudGoldfishCoddler wrote: ↑
Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm
MSNBC.
Turn it off. My Favorite martian is much better.
Oh how you liberals love undocumented aliens!
They call me Creamy Tawdry.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:06 pm

I used to have the same rain problem back when I had DirecTV. A small price to pay for the freedom of your urban assault vehicle.
🚐🚍
True that.
Actually, in the fleeting time that it seemed this "isolation" mess could be fairly short lived, we considered going out to the desert and living off-grid for a couple of weeks. That idea had the life span of a salmon in a bear's paws, but it was nice to have that option, even if it were partially imaginary.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:04 pm

🚐🚍
True that.
Actually, in the fleeting time that it seemed this "isolation" mess could be fairly short lived, we considered going out to the desert and living off-grid for a couple of weeks. That idea had the life span of a salmon in a bear's paws, but it was nice to have that option, even if it were partially imaginary.
Do you have an auxiliary generator? Lithium batteries? Solar?

If so, guess water would be your only holdback.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

🚐🚍
True that.
My dream off the grid vehicle if I ever have an extra million.

O Really
Admiral

Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:11 pm

Do you have an auxiliary generator? Lithium batteries? Solar?

If so, guess water would be your only holdback.
We've got a generator capable of running all the stuff we need, but if we ever got serious about going off grid much we'd add solar too. Main limitation is needing to dump the black tank, although I think some that go off into the wilds create their own latrine-type facilities. That would not work with Lady O (or me, actually) You can make 90 gallons of fresh water last a pretty long time if you're stingy with showers and particularly if you've stocked in some additional fresh water for drinking/coffee.

We like having the capability, and have boondocked a few times for short periods of time, but that's not really our life.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:43 pm
I get everything I need from a couple of roof-top antennae, as well as internet-only cable service. What I can't get, I figure I don't really need.
In an urbanish area, you can get a good selection off-air. Most, though not all, of the cable/satellite stations are junk anyway. Problem is, the air signals are fairly short range and subject to electrical interference as well as terrain. And - unlike back in the day when you might get a weak snowy, liney, but still watchable signal, now it's either good signal or gone signal. So for us, the satellite is a good way of keeping reasonably reliable TV.

O Really
Admiral

So there's a fund-raiser concert for Australia firefighting on and Alice Cooper had been on - surprisingly still doing the lyrics "school's been blown to pieces" and Olivia Newton John was there and some Aussie group I'd never heard of but were very good (5 Seconds of Summer) and the Queen comes on - original Queen with Adam Lambert playing the part of Freddie. They hadn't really started and CBS cuts over to Trump. It was QUEEN ferpete's sake, and why are they covering Trump drivel anyway? Assholes. Click.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:49 pm
The Italians refuse to be beat by a virus...
I know that 2 meters is the recommended social distance, but I wonder how safe the lower balconies are when several stories above you are belting out song. :shock: ;)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:14 pm
There's always a party pooper cynical nurse...
FTFY :P

Fwiw, I would be out on my second floor balcony taking big breaths and singing, which is a different kind of public nuisance :wave: .
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 am
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/museum- ... 20032.html

Beats cabin fever
Lazy, but funny:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ET94363U0AA ... name=small

Pretty clever:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:58 am
Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:16 am
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/museum- ... 20032.html

Beats cabin fever
The internet, PBS, old movies, and day to day chores do it for me.
Like this?
"Bad guy Kincaid controls the local water supply and plans to do in the other ranchers. Government agent (singing cowboy John Wayne) Saunders shows up undercover to do in Kincaid and win the heart of one of his victims Fay Denton."

C-span often has some good stuff, but this a.m. it was Lynne cheney and rove extolling the wonders of the bush administration.

I've watched a bunch of 1st season tv - old and new. Saturday Night Live, the Simpons, Gunsmoke, even Superman. The biggest problem with the old shows over cable or antenna are the endless commercials targeting old people. Hulu does it better.

I even watched Lawrence of Arabia and a couple of Silent films again. And of course there has been more than one playing of O Brother, Where Art Thou? with its star character
Ulysses Everett McGill and some good music.

Actually I think we are not watching as much tv - quitting the news has led to just not turning it on as much. I'm definitely reading more.

Edit: pretty cool

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2020/03/5 ... tes/126924

O Really
Admiral

DISH turned on Showtime and TheMovieChannel for free during the quarantine. I'm sure glad I don't pay for that. I know Showtime is supposed to have some good original programming, but most of what I've found isn't stuff I'd find entertaining.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://youtu.be/xisVS_DKpJg

Take a scenic 7+ hour train ride

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Happy - season 1

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:22 am
Just finished season 3 of Fargo. I had watched bits and pieces of it a couple years ago, but much of it was new to me.

The even better news is that season 4 starts up again, supposedly April 19, 2020.

Great show, if a bit weird.

Anybody else a Fargo fan?
Waiting for 4.

I've never liked any sort of slasher movie. "Happy" may be one, but it's laugh out loud funny.

Has anyone else watched Rectify?