What are you watching?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: What are you watching?

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 pm
... I rewatched that video, and I saw only two people singing on their balconies....
Seems to me that people are singing along at 2:00, but you are mostly correct. I was thinking as much about a similar Italian 'hood video of Bob Marley's Three Little Birds ('Cause every little thing gonna be all right!) that I saw. Have you seen it? Sorry that I did not make that clear.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:20 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm
bannination wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:10 pm
Been watching some Star Trek: Picard until that season finished, now I'm working on Westworld season 3.

Watched a few movies but none of them turned out to be particularly good.
What did you think of Picard?

I liked it, but not as much as I hoped. Too dark and brooding, none of the optimism of Gene Roddenberry.

Planning on starting it tonight.
Be curious what you think.

Hit a glitch signing up for cbs all access and am in some sort of loop where all links take me back to a message that says I haven't signed in but doesn't offer anywhere to sign in.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 am
Next up: The Polio Crusade

The fascinating thing about polio is that it was finally discovered that improved sanitation was actually the trigger for the polio epidemic. Lack of exposure of infants to the polio virus meant they didn't develop lifelong immunity.

FDR came from a privileged background, no doubt a very clean environment. Hence, he was vulnerable to polio later in life, which hit him just as his political career was taking off. Paradoxically, underprivileged children were probably less likely to contract the malady.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-expe ... o-crusade/

Haven't seen much about it since, but I read somewhere that babies who were given peanuts never developed the peanut allergy.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:17 am
Next up: The Polio Crusade

The fascinating thing about polio is that it was finally discovered that improved sanitation was actually the trigger for the polio epidemic. Lack of exposure of infants to the polio virus meant they didn't develop lifelong immunity.

FDR came from a privileged background, no doubt a very clean environment. Hence, he was vulnerable to polio later in life, which hit him just as his political career was taking off. Paradoxically, underprivileged children were probably less likely to contract the malady.

https://www.pbs.org/video/american-expe ... o-crusade/
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2011&p=49898&hilit= ... her#p49898
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 pm
... One of the outdoor school founders said, paraphrased, "Parents often ask me if I can promise the safety of their child. I tell them, 'On the contrary, there is a chance your child will die. However, if you protect them from all risk I guarantee the death of their soul.'" This is something I sometimes mention to parents of adventurous, injured children.

Kids need violence-free homes, sufficient quality food, decent education, adequate shelter and science based healthcare. After that, it's largely a crap shoot as to exactly what choices to make.

Perhaps a metaphor: On average, dishwashers clean better than hand washing does. So, kids should use dishwasher cleaned plates and utensils, right? Nope, I just read about a large scale Danish study that found that the kids in hand washing homes have fewer allergies and stronger immunity to many diseases.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:56 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 am
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2011&p=49898&hilit= ... her#p49898
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:15 pm
... One of the outdoor school founders said, paraphrased, "Parents often ask me if I can promise the safety of their child. I tell them, 'On the contrary, there is a chance your child will die. However, if you protect them from all risk I guarantee the death of their soul.'" This is something I sometimes mention to parents of adventurous, injured children.

Kids need violence-free homes, sufficient quality food, decent education, adequate shelter and science based healthcare. After that, it's largely a crap shoot as to exactly what choices to make.

Perhaps a metaphor: On average, dishwashers clean better than hand washing does. So, kids should use dishwasher cleaned plates and utensils, right? Nope, I just read about a large scale Danish study that found that the kids in hand washing homes have fewer allergies and stronger immunity to many diseases.
It's been found that children who were born from C-section are much more likely to develop asthma. Why? Because during a natural childbirth, the newborn is exposed to the maternal external biome, conferring immunitiy to common antigens and pathogens. In a C-section, everything is sterilzed to protect the mother, and the newborn doesn't get the exposure that would immunize it.

I grew up drinking well water and raw milk. 60 years later I would have the water tested and wouldn't dare give my kid the milk.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

.Oomba. wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm
The end of the world as we know it.
Good song.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:23 pm
.Oomba. wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:16 pm
The end of the world as we know it.
Good song.
Works well with the show.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Schitt's Creek? Is that the place folks with no paddles go?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:01 pm
Schitt's Creek? Is that the place folks with no paddles go?
Well, come to think of it, haven't seen any paddles in the three or four episodes I've streamed, so far.

I don't think it will spoil anything to say that the Schitt family started the town, a few generations ago. Network fussies objected to the title of the series, but CBC, being Canadian and all, finally decided it was OK, eh?

Chris Elliot plays a Schitt descendant and is also the town mayor. Let's just say he has some issues. As does Catherine O'Hara's character, Moira Rose, wife of Eugene Levy's Johnny Rose. The Rose family winds up there after their business manager absconded with the family investments as well as failed to pay the taxes, so the IRS comes through their mansion (gone by the end of episode one) and takes just about everything. Mr. Rose had previously bought the town of Schitt's Creek ten years earlier as a prank for his son David (played by Dan Levy, Eugene's actual son). And it turns out after the IRS has taken its bite it's the only place they can afford to live - in a couple of rooms in a run down motel in town. Dan Levy got the initial idea for the series by wondering how a wealthy family would react if all their wealth and possessions was suddenly taken away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schitt%27s_Creek

I liked it enough to watch about 10 episodes, but the wife and kid would say - not that again, so I moved on.

but that was before the virus, things do change

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Anybody ever watch Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Original Broadway Andrew Lloyd Webber

YouTube "The Show Must Go On" channel.

Free - new show each weekend.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/cultur ... on-youtube

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am
No, but I'd disagree with the premise. :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:58 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am
No, but I'd disagree with the premise. :lol:
It's a funny show - its Danny, how could it not be funny. I've seen scattered shows and one day plan to watch from beginning.

O Really
Admiral

"1922" a Netflix film based on a Stephen King story. As most King films, it's marginal but entertaining if you don't expect much. It got off to a hilarious start, though, with the audience warning tag that it contained "Gore and Smoking" :lol:

Hide your face, Honey - dude's smoking again!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:23 am
This'll be good.

ABC to Premiere DAVID BLAINE: THE MAGIC WAY on April 1
That dude is freaky.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:56 am
Currently in the middle of Season 3 of Schitt's Creek. It's actually pretty good, in a goofy sort of way. Levy, Elliot, and O'Hara are standouts in it.
That's about where I stopped. Not sure why, it was entertaining. I liked Stevie's perspective.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:12 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:20 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm
bannination wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:10 pm
Been watching some Star Trek: Picard until that season finished, now I'm working on Westworld season 3.

Watched a few movies but none of them turned out to be particularly good.
What did you think of Picard?

I liked it, but not as much as I hoped. Too dark and brooding, none of the optimism of Gene Roddenberry.

Planning on starting it tonight.
Be curious what you think.

Hit a glitch signing up for cbs all access and am in some sort of loop where all links take me back to a message that says I haven't signed in but doesn't offer anywhere to sign in.
Long, these series are so damn long. "The Picard", as he has been known around here since Who Watches the Watchers, started great, then for some unknown reason "the boy and the girl" were ice dancing on a slippery floor and they kept on ice dancing on the slippery floor kind of like this sentence about the boy and the girl ice dancing on a slippery floor runs on and on and on, so too did some scenes like the one about ice dancing on a slippery floor just ran on and on with them sliding on the slippery floor back and forth, laughing and smiling as they kept sliding back and forth on the slippery floor.

Fun to see the return of all the old characters from a great tv show, but I would have preferred short stand alone episodes.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Now this is entertainment.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

yes it is