Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:02 pm
Worth watching just to listen to the descendants voice their feelings....
Yeah, including horror, sadness and even anger after all of this time. Also in AL:
University of Alabama honors first Black student next to former KKK leader. Many are outraged.

... The university’s board of trustees announced Thursday that a campus building called Graves Hall would be renamed to honor Lucy Foster. But beside her name, the name "Graves" will also remain, honoring former Alabama Gov. Bibb Graves, who was once a Ku Klux Klan officer....

The move to rename the building Lucy-Graves Hall has sparked outrage among many professors, students and alumni who argue placing Lucy Foster’s name beside a former KKK member taints her legacy.

“They're clearly trying to appease our students of color and students who believe in diversity while still holding onto that violent, racist legacy they're unwilling to relinquish,” said Sidney Sheppard, a 2021 UA graduate who was part of a years-long, student-led movement to rename the building after Lucy Foster. “They preach social justice and equity yet they still hold onto Graves's name so tightly.”

... Lucy Foster attended classes at UA’s Graves Hall for just three days in 1956 before she was expelled after protests and threats against her life. At one point, a mob surrounded Graves Hall in protest of her enrollment, and she spent much of her time at the university hiding in between classes, said Trustee Emeritus Judge John England Jr. at a meeting announcing the name change.

The university didn’t enroll another Black student until 1963, England said.

In 1989, Lucy Foster returned to the university as a master’s degree candidate in the College of Education, housed in Graves Hall. She graduated in 1992 and has since been recognized by an endowed scholarship and clock tower in her name....

“When she was denied this full honor and her name was put next to a Klansman's, it felt like the mob that threatened her won again,” she added.

When 2021 graduate Lauren Upton gave tours to prospective students, she’d take them down the underground hallway where Lucy Foster hid between classes.

“She was threatened and her safety was at risk, just for going to classes,” said Upton, who was part of the student movement to change the name. “We need to think about the fact that we're putting her name next to somebody who was part of an organization that enabled the behavior that made her scared for her life.”

... Graves, who served two terms as Alabama governor in the 1920s and '30s, was a Grand Cyclops, a chief officer at a KKK chapter. In his first year in office, Graves lobbied against anti-Klan laws and worked to undermine an investigation of Klan violence in Crenshaw County, the Montgomery Advertiser, part of the USA TODAY Network, reported....

“I hope my students see this as a reminder that the fight isn't over,” she said. “We have made progress, but students have to continue to use their voice and see their power. And they also have to see that the institution is not always a willing ally, so we cannot stop agitating.”
:x I can't imagine a (Vrede too)-Westmoreland building.
Gogue promises hard look at campus, building names

Auburn University has joined the growing list of schools moving to assess who has been memorialized on campus and who hasn’t.

Student Ashley Henton has started a petition on change.org to rename Wallace Hall two weeks ago. She has attracted more than 11,500 signatures so far to remove segregationist Alabama Gov. George Wallace’s name from the building....

“I’d like to publicly ask Auburn University to rename Wallace Hall,” Henton said in her petition. “There are countless influential people, especially people of color, that are related to Auburn University and the state of Alabama. As an alternative, I propose Franklin Hall to honor Harold Franklin, the first black student to be enrolled at Auburn University.”

The university provided a statement to the Opelika-Auburn News on the matter.

“The naming or renaming of buildings is a lengthy process that requires input from campus governance groups, approval by the Auburn board of trustees and review by a state agency,” the statement read. “Renaming Wallace Hall is one of several actions recently recommended that will be addressed by a task force soon to be formed by President Gogue.”

More than one

Wallace Hall is not the only building in the local conversation. Auburn University history professor Kate Craig has compiled a list of buildings named after Confederate officers, segregationists and white supremacists.

“There are many students, faculty, staff and alumni at Auburn University, and members of the Auburn/Opelika community, who are committed to fighting white supremacy and injustice locally, nationally and globally,” Craig said.

Boyd Hall, Brown Hall, Katie Broun Residency Hall, Comer Hall, Graves Amphitheater, Graves Hall, Langdon Hall, Tichenor Hall and even Samford Hall are on the list.

“William J. Samford was a Confederate soldier,” Craig explained. “His father, William F. Samford, was a slave holder at Sunny Slope and a leading Alabama secessionist, ‘the penman of secession.’ His activities helped make Auburn a leading pro-secession town in Alabama.” ...
Idk if the task force has made any recommendations in the 1 2/3 years since, or if any buildings have already been renamed. The petition does not have any updates since then:

Rename Wallace Hall

Full disclosure:
Idk if the U of MD, which I never attended, honors any racists, but it's possible. Non-secessionist MD is south of the Mason-Dixon Line, after all.
Idk if the U of MT honors any racists. Many former Confederates moved west after the war, so it's possible. More likely is that some anti-Indians are honored, but I never heard about any controversy in my 30 years in town.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Here's a scholarly article on finding and (attempting the) elimination of vestiges of the confederacy in Florida.
https://repository.law.miami.edu/cgi/vi ... xt=umrsjlr

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:37 pm
Here's a scholarly article on finding and (attempting the) elimination of vestiges of the confederacy in Florida.
https://repository.law.miami.edu/cgi/vi ... xt=umrsjlr
Not really.

It concludes by saying an alternate narrative is best.

Not sure if I agree with that.

O Really
Admiral

Well what I got out of it was that confederate and racist monuments and memorabilia are clearly harmful, but that harm can be mitigated more effectively by creating new monuments and other remembrance activities rather than concentrating only on tearing down the confederate ones. Personally, I'd like for local and state governments to look at the confederate statuary and flags as if they honoured people like Pol Pot, Mengele, or members of the Khmer Rouge and to take action accordingly.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

So, perhaps we already have a solution: take down the confederate monuments and flags, including the "stars and bars", and honor the American flag and heroes like Lincoln instead.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:27 pm
Well what I got out of it was that confederate and racist monuments and memorabilia are clearly harmful, but that harm can be mitigated more effectively by creating new monuments and other remembrance activities rather than concentrating only on tearing down the confederate ones. Personally, I'd like for local and state governments to look at the confederate statuary and flags as if they honoured people like Pol Pot, Mengele, or members of the Khmer Rouge and to take action accordingly.
Wallace was heavily involved in racist politics, but he wasn't a Confederate and he clearly had a change of heart. Does once having been a racist, or ever a slavery, negate later good deeds or accomplishments?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 pm
Wallace was heavily involved in racist politics, but he wasn't a Confederate and he clearly had a change of heart. Does once having been a racist, or ever a slavery, negate later good deeds or accomplishments?
Wallace was a complicated, partially redeemed man, and it's fair to see and discuss that. However, it's weird for a U to honor someone who's most famous act was standing in front of the entrance of the University of Alabama, blocking the path of Black students.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:17 pm
. However, it's weird for a U to honor someone who's most famous act was standing in front of the entrance of the University of Alabama, blocking the path of Black students.
Well, that and getting shot.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:17 pm
. However, it's weird for a U to honor someone who's most famous act was standing in front of the entrance of the University of Alabama, blocking the path of Black students.
Well, that and getting shot.
True, but one he did and the other was done to him. Which image is most likely to appear in history books?

FYI:
Arthur Bremer: Trial and conviction

His subsequent trial in Upper Marlboro, Maryland, was condensed to five days and was held only 2+1⁄2 months after Bremer had shot Wallace, beginning on July 31, 1972.[citation needed] The defense argued that Bremer was schizophrenic and legally insane at the time of the shooting, and that he had "no emotional capacity to understand anything." The jury rejected this argument.[citation needed] Arthur Marshall, for the prosecution, told the court that Bremer, while disturbed and in need of psychiatric help and treatment, knew what he was doing, had been seeking glory, and was still sorry that Wallace had not died.

Jonas Rappeport, the chief psychiatrist for the circuit court in Baltimore, who spent a total of nine hours with Bremer in June 1972 on four occasions, said Bremer had a "schizoid personality disorder with some paranoid and psychopathic features", but also stated that this didn't "substantially impair his capacity to understand the criminality of his actions."

On August 4, 1972, the jury of six men and six women took 95 minutes to reach their verdict. Bremer was sentenced to 63 years in prison for shooting Wallace and three other people. When asked if he had anything to say, Bremer replied, "Well, Mr. Marshall mentioned that he would like society to be protected from someone like me. Looking back on my life I would have liked it if society had protected me from myself. That's all I have to say at this time." The sentence was reduced to 53 years on September 28, 1972, after an appeal. On July 6, 1973, Bremer's second appeal to have the sentence reduced further was rejected....

Sentence and release

... In prison, he declined to receive mental health treatment or evaluation....

According to 1997 parole records, psychological testing indicated releasing him would be risky. He argued in his June 1996 hearing that "(s)hooting segregationist dinosaurs wasn't as bad as harming mainstream politicians."
Hmmm, interesting point.
Bremer was released from prison on November 9, 2007, at the age of 57, having served 35 years of his original sentence. His probation ends in 2025.

Conditions of his release include electronic monitoring and staying away from elected officials and candidates. He must undergo a mental health evaluation and receive treatment if the state deems it necessary, and may not leave the state without written permission from the state agency that will supervise him until the end of his probation.
I didn't know. Now 71, he's apparently lived a quiet life for 14+ years. Too bad 2016 candidate 45SHOLE didn't set him off.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Wallace said:
In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."
And more. I'd say he was basically racist, but also put on a show for what he thought was in his political interest.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperi ... orever.%22

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:38 am
Wallace said:
In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."
And more. I'd say he was basically racist, but also put on a show for what he thought was in his political interest.

While I agree that the university where he made the segregation pledge is completely wrong, Wallace spent a lot of time in painful reflection and admitted that he was wrong. Should he be judged differently than the slave trader who went on to write Amazing Grace?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Here's Gary Chambers second election ad. His first one was of him smoking a large blunt in a New Orleans city park. He's running for state senator in Louisana. We need vastly more candidates like this guy.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/lou ... 34137.html

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:55 am
Here's Gary Chambers second election ad. His first one was of him smoking a large blunt in a New Orleans city park. He's running for state senator in Louisana. We need vastly more candidates like this guy.
Oh, is Gary Chambers another stomper like you?
Last edited by Ulysses on Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:07 am
( :crybaby: )
Too butthurt and lazy to click on the link?
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:55 am
Gary Chambers is running for the United States Senate.

"Scars and Bars" | Gary Chambers

:o :clap: :clap: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Opps! I posted he's just running for state senator. Doh!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Detailed look at Chambers, his candidacy and the upcoming election:

After viral campaign ad, Louisiana Senate candidate Gary Chambers wants to prove he's not just blowing smoke

1st ad:
6.6M views on Twitter!

300K views on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj_FD25oREY

More views on other platforms and other posts to Twitter and YouTube, I'm sure.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

These two morons must have either not ever heard of the McMichaels father and son dumbass act or else they think they're smarter than Greg and Travis. I'll spin.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:15 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:38 am
Wallace said:

While I agree that the university where he made the segregation pledge is completely wrong, Wallace spent a lot of time in painful reflection and admitted that he was wrong. Should he be judged differently than the slave trader who went on to write Amazing Grace?
Depends.

How many lives did George Wallace ruin, directly or indirectly, because of his racist rhetoric and policies?

That he had a later epiphany and said "My Bad!", isn't enough.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Not nearly as many as Nixon or small Bush or Obama.