Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:51 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:08 pm
Let's play
Who is Dumber

I'm not sure if she isn't just a tad smarter than the 54,000+ Floridamenandwomen who required a Sheriff to explan that they couldn't shoot a hurricane, in spite of what they had read on a bored Floridaman's Facebook post a barrage of gunshots would not turn the wind.
Were you intentionally paraphrasing her? If not, the resemblance is remarkable.

I'll go with the hurricane shooters. Caitlin Upton was a mere 18 year old beauty queen that got flustered by a question that was itself inaccurate in overstating the number of Americans that can't locate the U.S. on a world map, thus showing that a whole group of researchers, writers and producers were also idiots. She went on to attend Appalachian State and, according to Wiki, Clemson. Idk if she got a degree. She had a successful modeling career, built in part on her Miss Teen notoriety, and now is a mom and sells real estate in tony Brentwood, Los Angeles. I've seen her on TV a few times, she's reasonably articulate and a good sport about her famous flub.

She even looks smart, right?

Yes

To all
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

We need to break out that "Hot / Crazy" graphic on this one.....

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 am
I don't think she's crazy, but -0-? . Is there a "Hot/Dumb (one time)" graphic out there?

2 insurance companies end relationship with Maine agency after racist Juneteenth sign

Residents in the town of Millinocket, Maine, say they are outraged and disappointed after a local insurance agency displayed a racist sign remarking on the Juneteenth holiday. Progressive and Allstate are terminating their relationships with the agency, according to representatives of the insurance companies.
Opps. :---P
... The insurance agency has faced heavy criticism online, with people leaving one-star reviews on Google and Yelp, some of which have since been removed.

One review written on Yelp says: "@Progressive - is this really a company that you want representing you? Or is Progressive a company that believes in racism?"

Progressive spokesperson Jeff Sibel wrote in an email that the company is "aware and appalled by the sign" and that it is terminating its relationship with the agency.

"At Progressive, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) are fundamental to our Core Values. We're committed to creating an environment where our people feel welcomed, valued and respected and expect that anyone representing Progressive to take part in this commitment," Sibel wrote. "The sign is in direct violation of that commitment and doesn't align with our company's Core Values and Code of Conduct."

... Steve Golieb, chair of the Millinocket Town Council, released a statement on Tuesday regarding the incident:

"It is deeply saddening, disgraceful and unacceptable for any person, business, or organization to attempt to make light of Juneteenth and what it represents for millions of slaves and their living descendants," Golieb said in his statement. "There is no place in the Town of Millinocket for such a blatant disregard of human decency."

Allstate said in a statement to NPR on Wednesday: "We are terminating our contract with this independent agent. Our commitment to Inclusive Diversity and Equity is non-negotiable and we take action when individuals violate our code of conduct." ...
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:00 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:04 am
I don't think she's crazy, but -0-? . Is there a "Hot/Dumb (one time)" graphic out there?

2 insurance companies end relationship with Maine agency after racist Juneteenth sign

Residents in the town of Millinocket, Maine, say they are outraged and disappointed after a local insurance agency displayed a racist sign remarking on the Juneteenth holiday. Progressive and Allstate are terminating their relationships with the agency, according to representatives of the insurance companies.
Opps. :---P
... The insurance agency has faced heavy criticism online, with people leaving one-star reviews on Google and Yelp, some of which have since been removed.

One review written on Yelp says: "@Progressive - is this really a company that you want representing you? Or is Progressive a company that believes in racism?"

Progressive spokesperson Jeff Sibel wrote in an email that the company is "aware and appalled by the sign" and that it is terminating its relationship with the agency.

"At Progressive, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) are fundamental to our Core Values. We're committed to creating an environment where our people feel welcomed, valued and respected and expect that anyone representing Progressive to take part in this commitment," Sibel wrote. "The sign is in direct violation of that commitment and doesn't align with our company's Core Values and Code of Conduct."

... Steve Golieb, chair of the Millinocket Town Council, released a statement on Tuesday regarding the incident:

"It is deeply saddening, disgraceful and unacceptable for any person, business, or organization to attempt to make light of Juneteenth and what it represents for millions of slaves and their living descendants," Golieb said in his statement. "There is no place in the Town of Millinocket for such a blatant disregard of human decency."

Allstate said in a statement to NPR on Wednesday: "We are terminating our contract with this independent agent. Our commitment to Inclusive Diversity and Equity is non-negotiable and we take action when individuals violate our code of conduct." ...
All-State won't even let you have a football team bumper sticker on your car, much less anything political.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:20 pm
All-State won't even let you have a football team bumper sticker on your car, much less anything political.
Seriously? I'm unable to google anything about that. What's their rationale?

Their HQ is in Northbrook, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbrook,_Illinois
Maybe it's really just SEC stickers that are banned. ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:20 pm
Seriously? I'm unable to google anything about that. What's their rationale?

Their HQ is in Northbrook, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northbrook,_Illinois
Maybe it's really just SEC stickers that are banned. ;)
Agents probably could.

Lots of rules on the adjusting side. I did catastrophe adjusting for several companies, mostly Allstate. They wanted you neutral about everything. For instance, if damages weren't covered at a bammer's house and I had Auburn stickers all over my car, it could come up in court that I was trying to pay him back for bammer beating Auburn.

We also weren't allowed to accept anything, not even a glass of water or to use a bathroom. This was true of every company I worked for and qualified for.
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:06 pm
Agents probably could.

Lots of rules on the adjusting side. I did catastrophe adjusting for several companies, mostly Allstate. They wanted you neutral about everything. For instance, if damages weren't covered at a bammer's house and I had Auburn stickers all over my car, it could come up in court that I was trying to pay him back for bammer beating Auburn.

We also weren't allowed to accept anything, not even a glass of water or to use a bathroom. This was true of every company I worked for and qualified for.
Oh, you mean adjusters and maybe some others. I thought you meant policyholders. :doh:

Seems reasonable, YOU would do that to a Bammer fan :P . Better for you and the company if you don't tip them off.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:22 pm
Black descendants of Bruce's Beach owner could get Manhattan Beach land back under plan

:clap: , maybe.
... The issue has stirred controversy in this very white city. After hours of heated public testimony, the City Council on Tuesday night voted against issuing an apology, despite many residents urging them to do so. Officials decided, instead, to issue a "statement of acknowledgement and condemnation" of what happened.

Many have said apologizing is an important step forward, while other longtime residents and community leaders have pushed back, arguing that the residents of today shouldn't apologize for something that happened almost 100 years ago. Some have also expressed concern that issuing a formal apology could open the city up to potential lawsuits....
:roll:
'We are finally here': Plan to return Bruce's Beach wins unanimous approval

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors unanimously approved an unprecedented plan to return Bruce’s Beach to a Black family that had been run out of Manhattan Beach almost a century ago — paving the way for more efforts by the government to rectify historic injustices that were racially motivated.

"We are finally here today," said Hahn, who launched the complex process more than a year ago. "We can't change the past, and we will never be able to make up for the injustice that was done to Willa and Charles Bruce a century ago. But this is a start, and it is the right thing to do.”

The property will now enter escrow before officially transferring to the Bruce family. After it's transferred, the county has agreed to rent the property from the Bruces for $413,000 a year and will maintain its lifeguard facility there.

The lease agreement also includes a right for the county to purchase the land at a later date for $20 million, plus any associated transaction costs....
Lots of discussion, including:

The precedent being set;
Indigenous people's input;
History of the land and its theft from the Bruces;
The Ku Klux Klan in CA;
The tracking down of Bruce heirs;
Similar unresolved stories in SoCal.

No mention of an apology by Manhattan Beach :roll: . It is 79.3% Non-Hispanic White and 0.8% Black or African American. I wonder what the Black population would have been without the Klan eviction and theft, and the certain other racist acts there.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:01 pm
Fort Bragg to be renamed Fort Liberty among Army bases losing Confederate names: Exclusive
Congress and the defense secretary must approve the nine naming recommendations.

A blue-ribbon commission has recommended new names for nine Army bases named after Confederate leaders, including Fort Bragg, which will be recommended to be renamed Fort Liberty, according to a U.S. official, ABC News learned exclusively Tuesday.

Later Tuesday, the commission was expected to formally disclose its recommended names for the bases named after Confederate generals.

Last year, Congress passed legislation that required the renaming of U.S. military installations named after Confederate leaders by 2023.

Congress and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin must approve the nine naming recommendations.

Fort Bragg in North Carolina is currently named after Gen. Braxton Bragg, a senior Confederate Army general. It would be renamed as Fort Liberty, the only one of the bases named after a concept, with eight others being renamed mostly after individuals with ties to Army history.
Good for North Carolina. :clap:
The other bases to be renamed are Fort Hood in Texas, Fort Rucker in Alabama, Fort Polk in Louisiana, Fort Benning and Fort Gordon in Georgia and Fort A.P. Hill, Fort Lee and Fort Pickett in Virginia.

The panel has recommended that Fort Hood, Texas, be renamed after Richard E. Cavazos, the first Latino to reach the rank of a four-star general in the Army.
:---P
Fort Lee, Virginia, will be named after two individuals: Arthur Gregg, a former three-star general involved in logistics -- the only living individual for whom a base will be named -- and Charity Adams, the first African-American woman to be an officer in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

Fort Pickett, Virginia, will be named after Van Barfoot, who received the Medal of Honor for his heroism during World War II and is of Native American descent.

Fort A.P. Hill, Virginia, will be renamed after Dr. Mary Walker, a (Union) physician and women's rights activist who received the Medal of Honor for her service during the Civil War.
:---P :---P :---P

Mary Edwards Walker - helluva life. :clap:
... Fort Polk, Louisiana, will be renamed after William Henry Johnson, a (Black) soldier whose heroism in World War Two One was not honored with the Medal of Honor until 2015.
Henry Johnson (World War I soldier) - Hero, recognized way way too late :thumbdown: . . . except by France :thumbup: .
More details on the often non-Anglo or non-male people for whom the forts will now be namesakes:

Army Bases That Honor Confederate Traitors Could Soon Be Renamed for These Heroes

Incredible stories. The slaver/traitor lovers will whine, but it's impossible to argue that any of them aren't worht recognizing. Fort Bragg becoming Fort Liberty is the most boring of the lot.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't think stuff should be named after traitors or heroes of other real or pretend countries, but I gotta say I've got mixed feelings on some of these. For at least 3 of them - Benning, Bragg, and Rucker - the fame, legend, and traditions have far exceeded those of the person they were named for. And probably most people, including those who served on those bases don't know or care who the original people were.

Surely there must be somebody else with those names and we could say, for example, that Fort Rucker was named for Col. Ambrose Rucker, " A Patriot of the American Revolution for VIRGINIA with the rank of LIEUTENANT COLONEL. Colonel Ambrose was 6 feet 6 inches in height and weighed 300 pounds. He was a pioneer in Virginia who left a legacy to his Family and descendants and blazed a path in the History of the USA.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:37 am
I don't think stuff should be named after traitors or heroes of other real or pretend countries, but I gotta say I've got mixed feelings on some of these. For at least 3 of them - Benning, Bragg, and Rucker - the fame, legend, and traditions have far exceeded those of the person they were named for. And probably most people, including those who served on those bases don't know or care who the original people were.

Surely there must be somebody else with those names and we could say, for example, that Fort Rucker was named for Col. Ambrose Rucker, " A Patriot of the American Revolution for VIRGINIA with the rank of LIEUTENANT COLONEL. Colonel Ambrose was 6 feet 6 inches in height and weighed 300 pounds. He was a pioneer in Virginia who left a legacy to his Family and descendants and blazed a path in the History of the USA.
The renaming is essentially a done deal, but I would have been okay with Fort Annette Benning.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:59 am

The renaming is essentially a done deal, but I would have been okay with Fort Annette Benning.
Yeah, I know - too late and they wouldn't have listened to my suggestion anyway. But I am somewhat serious that keeping a name and changing the person is a good and workable idea. You have a big deal ceremony. Bands, marching soldiers, parachuting parachuters, tanks if you like. Take down the big sign saying "Fort Benning". Unveil a new sign that says "Fort Benning" and show pictures of Annette. Get people to make speeches about how deserving she is of this honour. Roll out new brochures, websites with the "history" part showing it was named for Annette. Forget that there was another traitor guy that was ever associated with the base. Everybody goes back to work.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:17 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:59 am

Yeah, I know - too late and they wouldn't have listened to my suggestion anyway. But I am somewhat serious that keeping a name and changing the person is a good and workable idea. You have a big deal ceremony. Bands, marching soldiers, parachuting parachuters, tanks if you like. Take down the big sign saying "Fort Benning". Unveil a new sign that says "Fort Benning" and show pictures of Annette. Get people to make speeches about how deserving she is of this honour. Roll out new brochures, websites with the "history" part showing it was named for Annette. Forget that there was another traitor guy that was ever associated with the base. Everybody goes back to work.
She was the Supreme Intelligence and Mar-Vell in Captain Marvel.

That's kinda like military service.

Opps, the Fort would have to remove an 'n' from everything :oops: . Maybe Bening would change her name.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:31 am
Kentucky Teen's $250 Million Lawsuit Against The Washington Post Dismissed

A federal judge on Friday dismissed a $250 million lawsuit against The Washington Post from the attorneys of Nick Sandmann, the MAGA hat-wearing teen captured in a viral video with Native American activist Nathan Phillips in January....
LMAO, I was posting elsewhere from the beginning:
I will relish your Trumpette tears of impotent frustration as OUR 1st Amendment prevails over YOUR smirking MAGA brat hoping to win the trailer park lottery.
Now, I'm relishing. Check out the MAGA whiners in the comments at the link.

The nearly all white school in a nearly all white town in a nearly all white county has history:

Covington Catholic Students In Blackface Underline Race Issues At Private School
New allegations of racism have cropped up just as students and parents deny the last ones.

'MAGA hat boys' reportedly filmed harassing girls before stand-off with Native American man

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/forum/vi ... ton#p93571
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:16 am
Je suis Christchurch x 2.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/multiple-dea ... ories.html

:(

Brenton Tarrant Manifesto: The ‘Great Replacement’ Rant

All interesting to me, but some bits stood out....
On Whether He Likes Donald Trump & Candace Owens

He asked himself “were/are you a supporter of Donald Trump?” The manifesto gives this answer: “As a symbol of renewed white identity and common purpose? Sure. As a policy maker and leader? Dear god no.”

... Of Owens, he said, “Yes, the person that has influenced me above all was Candace Owens. Each time she spoke I was stunned by her insights and her own views helped push me further and further into the belief of violence over meekness. Though I will have to disavow some of her beliefs, the extreme actions she calls for are too much, even for my tastes.”
Not sure what he's referring to, but those must be VERY extreme actions that she calls for.
Owens responded:
Candace Owens
Verified account @RealCandaceO

To be clear:

We played the “Candace is Hitler” game.
We played the “Candace is anti-rape victims” game.

If the media attempts this “Candace inspired a mosque shooting in New Zealand” bit—they better all lawyer the f*ck up.
I will go full Covington Catholic lawsuit.

Try me.
She also wrote: “LOL! 😂 FACT: I’ve never created any content espousing my views on the 2nd Amendment or Islam. The Left pretending I inspired a mosque massacre in…New Zealand because I believe black America can do it without government hand outs is the reachiest reach of all reaches!! LOL!” ...
Ummm, idiot crybaby, "the media" and "The Left" are NOT saying that you "inspired a mosque shooting in New Zealand," the rightwing terrorist is.
It was always an empty screech, but "Covington Catholic lawsuit" is laughable now.
More laughter:

'Covington kid' Nicholas Sandmann loses lawsuits against media outlets including NYT, ABC, and Rolling Stone

Yep, bratty whiny Trumpettes are LOSERS.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

SNL's Ted Cruz (Aidy Bryant): CRT = Caucasian Rights Trampled

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:44 pm
Most people don't know about Rosewood

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre

And to be fair

1836 Florida over 100 US troops massacred by Seminoles

1876 Little Bighorn over 250 US troops massacred

To be fair, the last two were defensive and the Native Americans had little choice.
Rosewood back in the news:

Man accused of racist attack on Black historian in Florida town faces assault charge

Asshole, lock him up.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:59 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:02 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 7:50 pm
“110 young men, women, and children crowded into the schooner’s hold … 86 feet long with a 23-foot beam and a six-foot, 11-inch hold,“ :cry: plus crew. 25 people on a 150 foot ship and I would feel crowded.
https://api.nationalgeographic.com/dist ... ne-thought

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2021/12/ ... ought.html

"Increasingly detailed sonar scans have showed that the ship is more intact than previously thought, according to a new National Geographic story. “This is the most intact slave ship known to exist in the archeological record anywhere,” said marine archaeologist Jim Delgado."
Tonight:
Clotilda: Last American Slave Ship
New
10:00 PM EST, 2:00 AM EST ON NatGeo • TV-14 • CC

Archaeologists explore the sunken wreck of the slave ship Clotilda
Set to record
Worth watching just to listen to the descendants voice their feelings.

Plus I learned how easy this new to me YouTube TV is to watch and record.

After years of the kid sharing all of my various media accounts, he has a YouTube TV account for his sports ?work?, so I'm back in the cable-type tv world again, but without a cable.
https://apnews.com/article/alabama-mobi ... 6d35128bcc

"Descendants of the Alabama steamship owner responsible for illegally bringing 110 African captives to America aboard the last U.S. slave ship have ended generations of public silence, calling his actions more than 160 years ago “evil and unforgivable.”

In a statement released to NBC News, members of Timothy Meaher’s family — which is still prominent around Mobile, Alabama — said that what Meaher did on the eve of the Civil War “had consequences that have impacted generations of people.”

“Our family has been silent for too long on this matter. However, we are hopeful that we — the current generation of the Meaher family — can start a new chapter,” said the statement."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
Finally made it to the Equal Justice Initiative Legacy Museum yesterday. You think you know a lot and then you are confronted with all that you don't.
We had planned on the Memorial too, but with the rain and having spent much longer than planned in the Museum that will be for another day.

There was just so much, it was overwhelming. From 73% a state's entire budget derived from renting black prison labor to rich plantation owners to seeing articles and opinion pieces discussing if the accused should be burned or lynched - he was lynched.
You've mentioned in the past that you're from, or spent time, in TN and you're living in FL now. I assume you've been in the south most of your life. I find it surprising that you seem to have not been aware of the extent of lynchings and other murder of blacks in the south. I realize they didn't teach about it in public schools, but the fact is that lynchings were not at all uncommon up until the 1950's. Typically, lynchings were attended by many spectators; you could say some of them drew crowds,,,,,many of the jurors who acquitted the perpetrators were present in those crowds. After the mid fifties or so, the rednecks and the Klan became more covert with their murders. And even then, the local (white) authorities would seldom convict the killers. Go back and watch the "Mississippi Burning" movie again.
I have been very aware. My point was more that there's no one here who wouldn't be overwhelmed by how much more there is.

I knew Anderson before I visited
I knew Dachau before I visited
But I was still overwhelmed when I went there.
There's a sacredness at the actual place or at a memorial that isn't as forceful in the history books, or even in historical fiction.

Yeah, if you are in Montgomery, go be amazed at how much more you can know and feel about the plight of people who lived in a state of constant confrontation with the hatred and bigotry of power and law.
I didn't mean to disparage or denigrate your personal experience after visiting a museum; I just got the impression that you'd not really been too cognizant of the prevalence of that sort of thing and the tolerance of it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
If you got the impression from me, it would have been my mistake. Sorry. Your response was great. It gave me the opportunity to further explain. None of us can know too much about our history.

Oh, and I left the Tennessee family farm for central Alabama in the summer before the 2nd grade. I grew up in Auburn, Alabama.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am

Finally made it to the Equal Justice Initiative Legacy Museum yesterday. You think you know a lot and then you are confronted with all that you don't.
We had planned on the Memorial too, but with the rain and having spent much longer than planned in the Museum that will be for another day.

There was just so much, it was overwhelming. From 73% a state's entire budget derived from renting black prison labor to rich plantation owners to seeing articles and opinion pieces discussing if the accused should be burned or lynched - he was lynched.
You've mentioned in the past that you're from, or spent time, in TN and you're living in FL now. I assume you've been in the south most of your life. I find it surprising that you seem to have not been aware of the extent of lynchings and other murder of blacks in the south. I realize they didn't teach about it in public schools, but the fact is that lynchings were not at all uncommon up until the 1950's. Typically, lynchings were attended by many spectators; you could say some of them drew crowds,,,,,many of the jurors who acquitted the perpetrators were present in those crowds. After the mid fifties or so, the rednecks and the Klan became more covert with their murders. And even then, the local (white) authorities would seldom convict the killers. Go back and watch the "Mississippi Burning" movie again.
I have been very aware. My point was more that there's no one here who wouldn't be overwhelmed by how much more there is.

I knew Anderson before I visited
I knew Dachau before I visited
But I was still overwhelmed when I went there.
There's a sacredness at the actual place or at a memorial that isn't as forceful in the history books, or even in historical fiction.

Yeah, if you are in Montgomery, go be amazed at how much more you can know and feel about the plight of people who lived in a state of constant confrontation with the hatred and bigotry of power and law.
I didn't mean to disparage or denigrate your personal experience after visiting a museum; I just got the impression that you'd not really been too cognizant of the prevalence of that sort of thing and the tolerance of it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
If you got the impression from me, it would have been my mistake. Sorry. Your response was great. It gave me the opportunity to further explain. None of us can know too much about our history.

Oh, and I left the Tennessee family farm for central Alabama in the summer before the 2nd grade. I grew up in Auburn, Alabama.
Ok, thanks. Funny that you'd bring this up since just yesterday I watched "The FBI Files" on some crime tv channel and it was the story of the three civil rights workers murdered by members of the Klan in Philadelphia, MS back in 64, They charged some of the Klan members as well as the sheriff and chief deputy, who notified the Klan members that they'd just released the three from custody around 10:30 that night. All three were taken out and shot; Chaney, the black guy, was shot three times; the two white guys were shot once. All three were buried in an earthen dam being constructed. After the bodies were found (some of the Klan members informed on the others) it was noted that one of them had a wad of some small substance in his clenched fist. It was just a glob of the clay soil that he was buried in. So they think that this one was still alive when buried.

The sheriff's name was Rainey and the chief deputy was Cecil Price. This was the true story that the movie was about.

The all white juries refused to convict any of them. So then the feds went after them for civil rights violations.