Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:29 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:26 am

You've mentioned in the past that you're from, or spent time, in TN and you're living in FL now. I assume you've been in the south most of your life. I find it surprising that you seem to have not been aware of the extent of lynchings and other murder of blacks in the south. I realize they didn't teach about it in public schools, but the fact is that lynchings were not at all uncommon up until the 1950's. Typically, lynchings were attended by many spectators; you could say some of them drew crowds,,,,,many of the jurors who acquitted the perpetrators were present in those crowds. After the mid fifties or so, the rednecks and the Klan became more covert with their murders. And even then, the local (white) authorities would seldom convict the killers. Go back and watch the "Mississippi Burning" movie again.
I have been very aware. My point was more that there's no one here who wouldn't be overwhelmed by how much more there is.

I knew Anderson before I visited
I knew Dachau before I visited
But I was still overwhelmed when I went there.
There's a sacredness at the actual place or at a memorial that isn't as forceful in the history books, or even in historical fiction.

Yeah, if you are in Montgomery, go be amazed at how much more you can know and feel about the plight of people who lived in a state of constant confrontation with the hatred and bigotry of power and law.
I didn't mean to disparage or denigrate your personal experience after visiting a museum; I just got the impression that you'd not really been too cognizant of the prevalence of that sort of thing and the tolerance of it. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
If you got the impression from me, it would have been my mistake. Sorry. Your response was great. It gave me the opportunity to further explain. None of us can know too much about our history.

Oh, and I left the Tennessee family farm for central Alabama in the summer before the 2nd grade. I grew up in Auburn, Alabama.
Ok, thanks. Funny that you'd bring this up since just yesterday I watched "The FBI Files" on some crime tv channel and it was the story of the three civil rights workers murdered by members of the Klan in Philadelphia, MS back in 64, They charged some of the Klan members as well as the sheriff and chief deputy, who notified the Klan members that they'd just released the three from custody around 10:30 that night. All three were taken out and shot; Chaney, the black guy, was shot three times; the two white guys were shot once. All three were buried in an earthen dam being constructed. After the bodies were found (some of the Klan members informed on the others) it was noted that one of them had a wad of some small substance in his clenched fist. It was just a glob of the clay soil that he was buried in. So they think that this one was still alive when buried.

The sheriff's name was Rainey and the chief deputy was Cecil Price. This was the true story that the movie was about.

The all white juries refused to convict any of them. So then the feds went after them for civil rights violations.

I was14 then and 13 when the KKK blew up those 4 little girls in Birmingham, aka Bombingham.
The four girls killed in the bombing were Addie Mae Collins (14), Cynthia Wesley (14), Carole Robertson (14), and Carol Denise McNair (11).

The kkk often made bomb threats at this church and others to disrupt services, this time it was real.

I imagine there were many young kids like me who saw the wrongness of racism because of these events in Alabama and Mississippi. As we defined ourselves as committed against racism

Wikipedia
"Described by Martin Luther King Jr. as "one of the most vicious and tragic crimes ever perpetrated against humanity,"[5] the explosion at the church killed four girls and injured between 14 and 22 other people."

Dates mostly from Wikipedia
Although the FBI had concluded in 1965 that the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing had been committed by four known Klansmen and segregationists: Thomas Edwin Blanton Jr., Herman Frank Cash, Robert Edward Chambliss, and Bobby Frank Cherry, j.edgar shut down the investigations and sealed the findings.
Chambliss was finally tried and convicted of the first-degree murder of one of the victims in 1977

Blanton Jr. and Cherry were each convicted of four counts of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 and 2002
The man who should have been tapped by Biden as our AG, Doug Jones, prosecuted and convicted Blanton and Cherry in Alabama.

At least there was this:
Wikipedia
"The 16th Street Baptist Church bombing marked a turning point in the United States during the civil rights movement and also contributed to support for the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by Congress.[8]"

I became aware in the mid sixties. Damn, could I have been Woke?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:47 pm
I was14 then and 13 when the KKK blew up those 4 little girls in Birmingham, aka Bombingham.
The four girls killed in the bombing were Addie Mae Collins (14), Cynthia Wesley (14), Carole Robertson (14), and Carol Denise McNair (11)....
:shock: :cry:
Bombingham

Bombingham is a nickname for Birmingham, Alabama, during the Civil Rights Movement due to the 50 dynamite explosions that occurred in the city between 1947 and 1965. The bombings were initially used against African Americans attempting to move into neighborhoods with entirely white residents. Later, the bombings were used against anyone working towards racial desegregation in the city. One neighborhood within Birmingham experienced so many bombings it developed the nickname of Dynamite Hill.

... Some families refused to leave, instead tolerating the attacks in an effort to support desegregation efforts.

Bombings

July 28, 1949 — Home of the Reverend Milton Curry Jr, at 1100 Center Street North.[4]
August 2, 1949 — Second bomb at the Curry’s home.[4]
April 22, 1950 — Third bomb at the Curry’s home.[4]
December 21, 1950 — Home of Monroe and Mary Means Monk at 950 North Center Street, who had challenged the city of Birmingham’s zoning laws.[4]
December 24, 1956 — The home of a black activist is bombed.[5]
December 31, 1956 — A black home is bombed.[5]
July 1957- A black home is bombed.[5]
December 1957- five black homes are bombed.[5]
Unknown date 1957 — Bomb at 1216 13th Street North in Fountain Heights.[4]
June 29, 1958 — The Ku Klux Klan bombs a black church.[5]
July 17, 1958 — The Ku Klux Klan bombs a black home.[5]
January 16, 1962 — The Ku Klux Klan bombs three black churches.[5]
December 14, 1962 — A black church is bombed.[5]
May 12, 1963 — Two black civil rights activists' homes are bombed.[5]
August 15, 1963 — An integrated store is bombed.[5]
August 20, 1963 – Home of civil rights lawyer Arthur Shores is bombed.[5]
September 4, 1963 — Second bomb at the Shores' home.[5]
September 8, 1963 – A black business is bombed.[5]
September 15, 1963 — 16th Street Baptist Church bombing killed four young girls: Addie May Collins, Denise McNair, Carole Robertson, and Cynthia Wesley.[6]
October 2, 1963 — A black business is bombed.[5]
March 21, 1965 — Attempted Ku Klux Klan bombing of black neighborhood. Time bombs found before detonating.[5]
April 1, 1965 — Ku Klux Klan suspected of bombing home of a black accountant and the attempted bombing of the homes of the mayor and city council.[5]

4. “Horrific years of Bombingham”, AL.com, June 26, 2016.
5. Hewitt, Christopher (2005). Political Violence and Terrorism in Modern America : A Chronology (First ed.). Westport, Conn.: Praeger Security International. pp. 3–20.
6. "Birmingham Church Bombing - Black History - HISTORY.com".
:angry-cussing:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I can remember going with my dad to the barber shop when I was a kid. The shop was not far from the area of town where most of the black residents lived. And the barber shop had a sign in the window saying "white patrons only." And I remember asking my dad what a patron is. At the time I was not woke enough to ask why the sign was there at all.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Race, "it scares me though,” .“She’s a real small woman, real tiny,” “She’s got a hood on. You can’t miss her.”

In a recording of the phone call, previously obtained by The Daily Beast through the neighbor’s attorney, a man tells the police “a little Black woman” was spraying stuff on the sidewalks.

"I don’t know what the hell she’s doing; it scares me though,” he says.

“She’s a real small woman, real tiny,” he continues. “She’s got a hood on. You can’t miss her.”

Dude was scared. In some stats people can shoot if the are sceert of tiny 9 year old black girl wearing hoods.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/9-year-ol ... 911-on-her?
via=newsletter&source=friday_member_digest_new&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=221214-Subscriber%20Digest%20Weds&utm_term=BI-Wednesday-Digest

She was rewarded for her environmental efforts and I imagine the big sceet white man lost more than respect.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, "it scares me though,” .“She’s a real small woman, real tiny,” “She’s got a hood on. You can’t miss her.”

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:58 am
In a recording of the phone call, previously obtained by The Daily Beast through the neighbor’s attorney, a man tells the police “a little Black woman” was spraying stuff on the sidewalks.

“She’s a real small woman, real tiny,” he continues. “She’s got a hood on. You can’t miss her.”

Dude was scared. In some stats people can shoot if the are sceert of tiny 9 year old black girl wearing hoods.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/9-year-ol ... 911-on-her

She was rewarded for her environmental efforts and I imagine the big sceet white man lost more than respect.
:clap: Backstory:
Local Republican Calls Cops on 9-Year-Old Black Girl Catching Lanternflies
UNSETTLING
“I don’t know what the hell she’s doing; it scares me though,” Lawshe told police, according to a recording of the call relayed by the girl’s mother.

... Lawshe is a former Caldwell councilman, Patch.com reported. According to The Progress, he served as chair of the Caldwell Republican Party at least until 2021....
:roll: Figures.

Aside: I'm not registering with thedailybeast.com. This means that I have to clear cookies after just one article. The next time I went to do this there were 80 cookies!!!
:obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:30 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:58 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/9-year-ol ... 911-on-her

:clap: Backstory:
Local Republican Calls Cops on 9-Year-Old Black Girl Catching Lanternflies
UNSETTLING
“I don’t know what the hell she’s doing; it scares me though,” Lawshe told police, according to a recording of the call relayed by the girl’s mother.

... Lawshe is a former Caldwell councilman, Patch.com reported. According to The Progress, he served as chair of the Caldwell Republican Party at least until 2021....
:roll: Figures.

Aside: I'm not registering with thedailybeast.com. This means that I have to clear cookies after just one article. The next time I went to do this there were 80 cookies!!!
Is this why Whack moved?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:14 pm
Is this why Whack moved?
:D Great minds . . . I looked it up so I could tease him, but Caldwell is in northern NJ. Different planets.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah, good news. Now we need to see if we can get the Indians to sell the country back to the people that stole it from them for, say, fifty trillion dollars. And some beads.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:26 pm
Yeah, good news. Now we need to see if we can get the Indians to sell the country back to the people that stole it from them for, say, fifty trillion dollars. And some beads.
Great minds . . .
'We are finally here': Plan to return Bruce's Beach wins unanimous approval

... Many point to the country's history of violently dispossessing Indigenous people and displacing entire communities of color from prime real estate....

Across California, reparations advocates and Indigenous leaders also welcomed the news but emphasized that there is a lot more history to unwind.

"There is a long legacy of colonial injustice, and this is a great first step to making reparations for this community. I really hope that other communities — including the local Indigenous communities of the Tongva, Acjachemen and Tataviam — will also be considered for future return of our ancestral lands," said Wallace Cleaves, who has been navigating similar uncharted challenges in land return as president of the Tongva Taraxat Paxaavxa Conservancy.

Angela Mooney D’Arcy, who heads Sacred Places Institute for Indigenous Peoples, a grass-roots group led by native people in California, said her organization supported bringing justice to the Bruce family, and called on officials to include local Indigenous communities who have been left out.

"It's critically important that in your act of taking on this momentous issue, you're not inadvertently perpetuating the erasure of another community that has also suffered great injustices at the hands of white supremacist, institutionally racist culture," she said, emphasizing that these issues "must be addressed in an intentional and thoughtful manner as there can be no healing if healing for one community rests on the erasure of another community."

In a letter to the county, she asked officials to specify in their records that Bruce’s Beach is in the ancestral homelands of the Gabrielino Tongva people. She also urged county officials to develop a process to meet with local Indigenous leaders and to form a task force "to identify, examine and assess the ways in which current and future County-led efforts to bring about racial justice and healing can better inform, support and complement one another." ...
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:34 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:26 pm
Great minds . . .
'We are finally here': Plan to return Bruce's Beach wins unanimous approval

... Many point to the country's history of violently dispossessing Indigenous people and displacing entire communities of color from prime real estate....

Across California, reparations advocates and Indigenous leaders also welcomed the news but emphasized that there is a lot more history to unwind.

"There is a long legacy of colonial injustice, and this is a great first step to making reparations for this community. I really hope that other communities — including the local Indigenous communities of the Tongva, Acjachemen and Tataviam — will also be considered for future return of our ancestral lands," said Wallace Cleaves, who has been navigating similar uncharted challenges in land return as president of the Tongva Taraxat Paxaavxa Conservancy.

Angela Mooney D’Arcy, who heads Sacred Places Institute for Indigenous Peoples, a grass-roots group led by native people in California, said her organization supported bringing justice to the Bruce family, and called on officials to include local Indigenous communities who have been left out.

"It's critically important that in your act of taking on this momentous issue, you're not inadvertently perpetuating the erasure of another community that has also suffered great injustices at the hands of white supremacist, institutionally racist culture," she said, emphasizing that these issues "must be addressed in an intentional and thoughtful manner as there can be no healing if healing for one community rests on the erasure of another community."

In a letter to the county, she asked officials to specify in their records that Bruce’s Beach is in the ancestral homelands of the Gabrielino Tongva people. She also urged county officials to develop a process to meet with local Indigenous leaders and to form a task force "to identify, examine and assess the ways in which current and future County-led efforts to bring about racial justice and healing can better inform, support and complement one another." ...
Totally different story, but are you familiar with American Beach?
It was founded in 1935 by Abraham Lincoln Lewis as a reaction to Jim Crow excluding blacks from most benches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beach,_Florida

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:33 pm
Totally different story, but are you familiar with American Beach?
It was founded in 1935 by Abraham Lincoln Lewis as a reaction to Jim Crow excluding blacks from most benches.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Beach,_Florida
Cool. Spent a day on Cumberland Island a few years back. We would have visited nearby American Beach if we'd known.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The private angst over Donald Trump’s racist attacks on Elaine Chao goes public

Is any of this really news? We all already knew that:
Chao was a corrupt, compliant sycophant;
Former PINO and the Cult .45 I are deplorable White supremacists;
RepuQs including Moscow Mitch are cowards.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:17 pm
Were you in NC?
Never-before-seen video shows Dr. King speaking at NCSU as the KKK protests
Did you know Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once spoke to a crowd of 5,000 at Reynolds Coliseum on NC State Campus in Raleigh?

Did you know Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once spoke to a crowd of 5,000 at Reynolds Coliseum on NC State Campus in Raleigh?

The historic event took place in 1966 – but it wasn't given momentous treatment. Instead, the moment was almost wiped from the history books.

Only a handful of photos existed. No audio was saved.

The historic day almost remained part of North Carolina's hidden history – until some in-depth research by NC State Professor Jason Miller.

A single photo from an AP photographer was the primary documented image of that day – until now. Miller found someone who had attended the event and recorded a never-before-seen video of King's visit on July 31, 1966....

The video also shows the Ku Klux Klan descending on downtown Raleigh to protest King's visit....

Saving history: Why was MLK's visit almost forgotten?

On the day of King's visit to Raleigh, a local newspaper assigned no one to cover King's speech at NC State.

However, the KKK used his presence in Raleigh as an excuse to rally. Although King's visit drew a diverse crowd of Black and white men and women five times larger than the KKK rally, 8 reporters were assigned to cover the KKK rally on Fayetteville Street instead of highlighting King.

The next day, the KKK was on the front page, even though King's speech drew five times more attendees. King's visit to Raleigh was a much smaller headline, beneath the larger emphasis on KKK coverage....

:roll:
The day before he spoke, a group of four local churches ran a large advertisement in the N&O, explain why they opposed integration. They also explained that they opposed King because "riot, bloodshed, disorder and confusion follow him and his associated. The circumstances of the 'Negro' are worsened, not helped by him." ...
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:07 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:17 pm
Were you in NC?
Yes, in Chapel Hill, but I didn't go. I knew a couple of guys who did, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:46 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:07 pm
Were you in NC?

Yes, in Chapel Hill, but I didn't go. I knew a couple of guys who did, though.
To the MLK Jr speech or to the KKK rally? ;)

What did they think? Do you regret not going? I was kind of young to have gotten much out of one of his speeches before he died. I do remember my Mom crying and then seeing the subsequent DC riots on TV.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

That summer I went to one session of summer school and headed off to NJ to spend much of the rest with the first really serious girl friend I had. I probably wasn't available to go to something like that - it wasn't like I declined when somebody said "hey you want to go see MLK?" In any case, nobody would have known what a historic event that could be or have been so missing it wasn't a big deal. Heck, it wasn't even that big of a deal to the guys who went. In retrospect, though, it would be a good thing to have in the experiences bank.

O Really
Admiral

There's probably a lot in everybody's life that seems like a bigger deal in retrospect than at the time. I may have mentioned that my first car was a 57 Chevy, like the one below. I tell people that - particularly younger people - who think that was totally cool. And it was, sorta - it was a nice car, but at the time it was just an oldish car kept up and modded a little. Much like a kid now who might have a 2015 Accord. Good to have a car, better that one than a junker, but not nearly as cool then as it seems now when 57 Chevys are selling for more than 3 or 4 houses would have back then.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
Finally made it to the Equal Justice Initiative Legacy Museum yesterday. You think you know a lot and then you are confronted with all that you don't.
We had planned on the Memorial too, but with the rain and having spent much longer than planned in the Museum that will be for another day.

There was just so much, it was overwhelming. From 73% a state's entire budget derived from renting black prison labor to rich plantation owners to seeing articles and opinion pieces discussing if the accused should be burned or lynched - he was lynched.
A comment about the Legacy Museum and the Memorial.

Yes you can take your 4 year old.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 00007FB666

O Really
Admiral

Not defending what, why, or how they did it back then, but I'm not sure I have a problem with the concept of convict leasing overall. How much worse could it be than spending every day being Big Bubba's bitch in some place like Angola or any number of other cruel and de-humanizing places.