COVIDiots

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: COVIDiots

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:08 pm
The law is rarely black/white and is subject to interpretation, and specific facts and circumstances. To think that a professionally licenced person can freely use his professional status to spread total bullshit is not the way it's supposed to work. Lawyers, accountants, engineers, probably cosmeticians would lose their licence for doing that. CPA, in TV interview: "I think there are flaws in the US tax laws and I recommend that people refuse to pay taxes until further study has been done..." Engineer: "Don't waste money on fancy circuit testers. Just insert a knife into any outlet and you'll be able to see if there is power."
That would be nice, but:
Doctors who put lives at risk with covid misinformation rarely punished

... Across the country, doctors who jeopardized patients’ lives by pushing medical misinformation during the pandemic and its aftermath have faced few repercussions, according to a Washington Post analysis of disciplinary records from medical boards in all 50 states.

State medical boards charged with protecting the American public often failed to stop doctors who went against medical consensus and prescribed unapproved treatments for covid or misled patients about vaccines and masks, the Post investigation found.

At least 20 doctors nationally were penalized for complaints related to covid misinformation between January 2020 and June 2023, according to board documents, which The Post obtained by filing requests with state medical boards and reviewing public records. Five of those doctors lost their medical licenses — one had his revoked, while four surrendered theirs. Discipline is typically connected to patient care, not just what doctors say.

It is impossible to know how many doctors were spreading misinformation because most states do not monitor or divulge those complaints. But The Post’s requests to the boards yielded at least 480 covid-misinformation-related complaints in the last three years — meaning only a tiny fraction of those led to disciplinary action....
:angry-banghead: 20 out of 480 is only 4%. We are a case study in how not to address a pandemic.

At least prison for something:

Doctor known for spreading Covid misinformation is sentenced to prison for role in US Capitol attack
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Doctors make judgement calls all the time. That's kinda the heart of the ads that all say "ask your doctor if Grxbsq is right for you." The doctor can certainly say "I don't think Grxbsq is going to work as well for you as Xzmqdk," but s/he can't say "I don't think Grxbsq is any good, despite all the studies, and I think you should just use the eye of newt and toe of frog." And it seems that a medical review group would be able to see the difference when they look at a given case.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:02 pm
Doctors make judgement calls all the time. That's kinda the heart of the ads that all say "ask your doctor if Grxbsq is right for you." The doctor can certainly say "I don't think Grxbsq is going to work as well for you as Xzmqdk," but s/he can't say "I don't think Grxbsq is any good, despite all the studies, and I think you should just use the eye of newt and toe of frog." And it seems that a medical review group would be able to see the difference when they look at a given case.
Speaking of homicidal COVIDiots:

COVID booster warning from Florida surgeon general, who advises people not to get new vaccine

:obscene-birdiered:

I will be getting the new Covid vaccine, along with flu and the new RSV vaccines, all at the same time if that's okayed.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:15 am

I will be getting the new Covid vaccine, along with flu and the new RSV vaccines, all at the same time if that's okayed.
We got the RSV vaccine. Actually had a little more reaction than for flu or Covid. Arm more sore; felt like crap for a few hours. Asked our primary about getting them all together. She, and also the pharmacist, suggested getting RSV separate but Covid and flu together were OK. Get one in each arm.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:03 am
We got the RSV vaccine. Actually had a little more reaction than for flu or Covid. Arm more sore; felt like crap for a few hours. Asked our primary about getting them all together. She, and also the pharmacist, suggested getting RSV separate but Covid and flu together were OK. Get one in each arm.
Thanks. I read an article saying that the new Covid and flu vaccines are approved for simultaneous admin, but a determination about getting the new RSV vaccine with them has yet to be made. I'll consider your advice and keep them separate unless I hear otherwise.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Big Brother RepuQs detest science, public health, and licensing board and local government control:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders Signs Bill That Bans Vaccine Mandates In Arkansas
The Arkansas governor claimed the legislation, which replaces a similar ban that recently expired, aims to defend citizens’ “individual liberty.”

"individual liberty" to infect others and/or die. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:58 am
Big Brother RepuQs detest science, public health, and licensing board and local government control:

Sarah Huckabee Sanders Signs Bill That Bans Vaccine Mandates In Arkansas
The Arkansas governor claimed the legislation, which replaces a similar ban that recently expired, aims to defend citizens’ “individual liberty.”

"individual liberty" to infect others and/or die. :roll:
She's the absolute treat we thought she was. :roll:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:03 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:15 am

Walgreens said only 2 shots at a time, any 2, then wait 2 weeks. They also said Medicare does not cover RSV and it would cost $350 :wtf: . I got the flu and Covid vaxxes, and will wait on RSV until my next doctor's appt. Maybe the cost can be folded into other care for Medicare reimbursement. -0-?

Aaron Rodgers' New Nickname For Travis Kelce Sounds Like It’s Straight Off Fox News
The injured Jets quarterback proved to be a right-wing parrot as he blasted the Chiefs tight end on "The Pat McAfee Show."

:roll: What a child Kaaron is!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ours were "free." We've got a UHC Medicare supplement plan with Walgreen pharmacy coverage. Getting that vax pretty much paid for our plan. Had no idea.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:09 am
Ours were "free." We've got a UHC Medicare supplement plan with Walgreen pharmacy coverage. Getting that vax pretty much paid for our plan. Had no idea.
I rejected Medicare D out of hatred for the private insurers. Perhaps a mistake.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:41 am
O Really wrote:
I rejected Medicare D out of hatred for the private insurers. Perhaps a mistake.
We've had no problems whatsoever with the UHC/AARP supplement, neither the medical nor pharmacy plan. It pays whatever Medicare doesn't on a Medicare-approved claim.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:
We've had no problems whatsoever with the UHC/AARP supplement, neither the medical nor pharmacy plan. It pays whatever Medicare doesn't on a Medicare-approved claim.
My hatred is more on principle than over problems with claims, though I've experienced some of the latter.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
My hatred is more on principle than over problems with claims, though I've experienced some of the latter.
An old expression comes to mind...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:37 pm

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjLBM2CXcAAYdD1.jpg
I've yet to learn what the RSV cost will be through my MD, and I think I've come out ahead in a lifetime of limiting my investment in insurance companies. Plus,
O Really wrote:
... Getting that vax pretty much paid for our plan. Had no idea.
Sounds like you've broken even. I can swallow $350 one time if the tradeoff is zero premiums forever.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sure if it was just the one prescription. We don't have a lot of recurring prescriptions but more than enough to pay for the plan many times over. Lady O takes twice yearly Prolia that without insurance would be over $1,700 per dose. I'm no fan of insurance companies overall but I do get my money's worth.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:10 pm
Sure if it was just the one prescription. We don't have a lot of recurring prescriptions but more than enough to pay for the plan many times over. Lady O takes twice yearly Prolia that without insurance would be over $1,700 per dose. I'm no fan of insurance companies overall but I do get my money's worth.
I didn't decide cavalierly. I looked at the relative costs and benefits with my current Rxs and it worked out better to pay my own way. A $350 RSV this year, if that even ends up being the cost, MIGHT have made the difference this year, but next year . . . ?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Vrede, you done good. Advantage was a bush plan to destroy Medicare. These plans replace Medicare with private insurance.

Supplements don't do that. They support Medicare by picking up cost above Medicare.
UnitedHealth has a bunch. I'm pretty sure they no longer offer plan F, as I got a letter a year or two back telling me that I was grandfathered in,but there are other good ones too.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:51 pm
Vrede, you done good. Advantage was a bush plan to destroy Medicare. These plans replace Medicare with private insurance.

Supplements don't do that. They support Medicare by picking up cost above Medicare.
UnitedHealth has a bunch. I'm pretty sure they no longer offer plan F, as I got a letter a year or two back telling me that I was grandfathered in,but there are other good ones too.
AFAIK O Really does not have Medicare Advantage, Part C. He's got the Part D supplement. It annoys me that there has to be a private drug supplement. Meds are so crucial that Medicare ought to cover them, even if it charges a fee above the Part B fee to do so. I want all of my healthcare to be socialized, even if it's socialized-light single payer.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:44 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:51 pm

AFAIK O Really does not have Medicare Advantage, Part C. He's got the Part D supplement. It annoys me that there has to be a private drug supplement. Meds are so crucial that Medicare ought to cover them, even if it charges a fee above the Part B fee to do so. I want all of my healthcare to be socialized, even if it's socialized-light single payer.
Same here as O Really. If his Supplement pays the full 20%, it is probably plan F, also like mine.

Medicare is great
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

I definitely don't like the falsely named "Advantage". We've got the Plan F United Healthcare and prescriptions and haven't paid any substantial medical bills for years. Sure if you never have any medical costs then a supplement seems excessive. But the older you get the more likely something is going to break.