Music you enjoy but feel guilty listening to

Off the wall fun - this area may tread into work unsafe territory, be advised.
Greg55_99
Red Shirt

Music you enjoy but feel guilty listening to

Unread post by Greg55_99 »

I'm Black, born and raised in Cleveland in the 50's and 60's. Soul, R&B, Funk and disco are in my veins. But, when the lights go down and there's nobody around, I turn on Hank Williams, Patsy Cline and Frankie Yankovik and his Yanks.....

Don't tell NOBODY!!!!!

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

O Really
Admiral

Re: Music you enjoy but feel guilty listening to

Unread post by O Really »

I don't feel guilty about it, but I don't think I have any friends who would guess that I've picked up a recent taste for Dwight Yoakum. Try it here..

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

O Really wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:55 pm
I don't feel guilty about it, but I don't think I have any friends who would guess that I've picked up a recent taste for Dwight Yoakum. Try it here..

LOL!!! I thought I was only one that had Buck Owens in his collection! Shoot, I go BACK to the old days of Hee Haw with Buck and Roy Clark.

Y'all don't tell NOBODY....

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

O Really
Admiral

Roy Clark at his best (the sound - vid sucks)

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

Man that Dwight Yoakam, Buck Owens tune brings back memories of my time stationed in Okinawa. In the eighties, one of my crewdawg buddies from Wewauka Oklahoma, K. C. Jones, would kill four Miller Lites then play "The Streets of Bakersfield" damn near every night on the NCO Club jukebox.

"How many of you would sit and judge me...
As I walk the Street's of Bakersfield..."

Good times...

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

O Really
Admiral

I wasn't a fan back when they were big - I was more rockish, then alternative in 70's - 80's, but several years ago I went to a live ABBA tribute concert and became an instant fan of ABBA's work. Sure, they had a formula - catchy tunes, memorable lyric phrases, funky clothing - but it was a good one. And great voices.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:50 am
I wasn't a fan back when they were big - I was more rockish, then alternative in 70's - 80's, but several years ago I went to a live ABBA tribute concert and became an instant fan of ABBA's work. Sure, they had a formula - catchy tunes, memorable lyric phrases, funky clothing - but it was a good one. And great voices.
I had an Ahha ABBA moment around 2001. I was wandering around Amsterdam on the day of the Pride Parade - I hadn't gone - and stumbled on a block party where they were blasting ABBA from a truck mounted sound system. They were having so much damn fun that I've appreciated the group ever since.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Alexa, play 80's music.
Lots of tunes I had totally forgotten about, and quite a few that were much better than I remembered them. I guess in the 80's I was comparing it to 70's rock and found much lacking. Now, comparing to current pop/rap etc., it's "improved" a lot.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Greg55_99 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:28 pm
O Really wrote:

LOL!!! I thought I was only one that had Buck Owens in his collection! Shoot, I go BACK to the old days of Hee Haw with Buck and Roy Clark.

Greg
I have a Buck Owens album.
Have you scrolled from the list of Hew Haw cast? It gets better the further you go.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0063908/full ... _=m_ttfc_3
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

.Oomba.
The Janitor

Unread post by .Oomba. »

Y'all should be ashamed.
They call me Creamy Tawdry.

Greg55_99
Red Shirt

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:49 am
Greg55_99 wrote:
O Really wrote:

Greg
Have you scrolled from the list of Hew Haw cast? It gets better the further you go.

Yep, I got some Grandpa Jones, Tennesee Ernie Ford and Roy Clark. Listen, I'm only telling y'all 'cause I KNOW y'all won't tell NOBODY.

Greg
"Truth MATTERS"

O Really
Admiral

Greg55_99 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:41 pm
Man that Dwight Yoakam, Buck Owens tune brings back memories of my time stationed in Okinawa. In the eighties, one of my crewdawg buddies from Wewauka Oklahoma, K. C. Jones, would kill four Miller Lites then play "The Streets of Bakersfield" damn near every night on the NCO Club jukebox.

"How many of you would sit and judge me...
As I walk the Street's of Bakersfield..."

Good times...

Greg
Our first stopover on the way north will be Bakersfield. We go right past Buck Owens' Crystal Palace on the way out. I'll hold up a light for you. Dunno about walking any streets while we're there, though. Looks like a bit of a sketchy neighbourhood.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Greg55_99 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:49 am
Greg55_99 wrote:
O Really wrote:

Greg

Yep, I got some Grandpa Jones, Tennesee Ernie Ford and Roy Clark. Listen, I'm only telling y'all 'cause I KNOW y'all won't tell NOBODY.

Greg
My grandmother did love Tennessee Ernie Ford, Roy Clark could damn sure pick and Roy Acuff loved to show everyone that he could balance a fiddle on his chin.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I don't listen to anything that makes me feel guilty. If I do, it makes me feel guilty. I have no Buck Owens or TN Ernie Ford but have Johnny Cash.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:15 am
I don't listen to anything that makes me feel guilty. If I do, it makes me feel guilty. I have no Buck Owens or TN Ernie Ford but have Johnny Cash.
https://youtu.be/o0MIFHLIzZY

The man in black.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:02 am
neoplacebo wrote:

The man in black.
I'd never heard that one. It's no "Folsom Prison" but it's got a haunting Dylan-like sound that's really good.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:01 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:02 am
neoplacebo wrote:

The man in black.
I'd never heard that one. It's no "Folsom Prison" but it's got a haunting Dylan-like sound that's really good.
It wasn't published until after he died, or so the Philly station that played it over and over said. I think it was an anniversary of his death - around 2008.

Have you heard this 9 inch nails cover?

https://youtu.be/8AHCfZTRGiI

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.